Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

lol I won't be alone, I'll have records, silly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

I never knew the Babadook was a record collector.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Boinks posted:

Now is a great time to be a CD collector. ;)

:yeah:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Nah, more like

Boinks posted:

Now is a great time to be a cassette collector. ;)

:yeah:

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
I guess it could be a good idea to complete that George Michael collection before prices go nuts. :(

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

lol I won't be alone, I'll have records, silly

Nuclear Bomb goes off
Now I have all the time in the world to listen to my records.
The only record player left is a Crosly
No...there was time now....

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

rockinricky posted:

I guess it could be a good idea to complete that George Michael collection before prices go nuts. :(

I can't picture this happening.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Wham record prices peaked with the Deadpool movie

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boinks posted:

Wham record prices peaked with the Deadpool movie

Was one of their songs in the movie? I really can't remember.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

rockinricky posted:

I think Micheal Jackson records went up for a second but then everyone realized that they had been pressed in the billions. My Thriller picture disc is worth $5.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CPL593H posted:

I can't recall either, other than the joke at the very end when he's talking to Morena Baccarin.

Bowie LP prices went insane after his death and didn't start going back to normal until a couple months ago. Just lol if George Michael/Wham LPs do the same.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I still rummage through my local stores and find $40 copies of Purple Rain.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Boinks posted:

Now is a great time to be a CD collector. ;)

I got a french cd from 2006 with DRM protection that makes it impossible to rip to a PC with Windows 10.

Death to the french and to cds

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I had a Merzbow lp with copy protection as well. Everything just came out garbled and unlistenable .

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've always hated cds

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

There's a recurring Wham joke through the movie and at one point Wade pulls out one of the LPs.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can't recall either, other than the joke at the very end when he's talking to Morena Baccarin.

Bowie LP prices went insane after his death and didn't start going back to normal until a couple months ago. Just lol if George Michael/Wham LPs do the same.

If that really lovely record store everyone was making fun of several months back inexplicably managed to stay open, now is their loving heyday!

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gin and Juche posted:

I got a french cd from 2006 with DRM protection that makes it impossible to rip to a PC with Windows 10.

Death to the french and to cds

I've never had any copy protection issues with dbpoweramp in windows 10

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm not a jazz guy, but I keep meaning to pick this up too. That first track in particular is awesome.

I'm just looking at reviews of this. Supposedly 30 minutes per side of an LP is problematic for sound quality. And there's a few people saying their records came quite banged up, with scratches, etc. on the disks. It's €40 for three hours of fairly amazing music, but if the LP is problematic...

Or am I already going all nerdy on my future purchases.?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

CPL593H posted:

Leave it in the forest and run screaming into the night. Then go home, wash yourself, and pretend none of this happened.

Was this him then?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Mrenda posted:

I'm just looking at reviews of this. Supposedly 30 minutes per side of an LP is problematic for sound quality. And there's a few people saying their records came quite banged up, with scratches, etc. on the disks. It's €40 for three hours of fairly amazing music, but if the LP is problematic...

Or am I already going all nerdy on my future purchases.?

When that LP came out they (I don't remember who they was, maybe his label) were swearing up and down that they took extreme care in pressing it and it would be like totally awesome, for what that's worth. I still haven't worked up the desire to do any further research into it so I'll just listen to it on Spotify or whatever. Fantastic album however you listen to it.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

cursed image 724

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I got (nearly front row) tickets to the Seu Jorge Life Aquatic Sessions show in Boston at Symphony Hall for ~MY GIRLFRIEND'S~ birthday a few months back since she's a huge Bowie and Life Aquatic fan, and she surprised me with this for Christmas.

https://twitter.com/Kaboobi/status/813044472242196480

She even figured out how to get on Discogs and make an account and order it from somewhere in Central Europe for me! :h:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I got a new record player for Christmas which has a CD player and a USB port - I can use the latter to record music to a memory stick but if I plugged my phone in, should I be able to record stuff directly onto it?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I got a new record player for Christmas which has a CD player and a USB port - I can use the latter to record music to a memory stick but if I plugged my phone in, should I be able to record stuff directly onto it?

No, it wouldn't be able to mount the card in your phone.

On a related note, half this thread winced after reading your post.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry. :(

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Just enjoy your music dude!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, there's tons of stuff I like that I couldn't listen to before because I didn't own a record player and it was hard-to-impossible to get in any other format. :shobon:

All those old O. V. Wright and Jimmy McCracklin and Joe Simon albums, for instance.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
are those video game composers????

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Just enjoy your music dude!

But he's enjoying it wrong. <:mad:>

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, there's tons of stuff I like that I couldn't listen to before because I didn't own a record player and it was hard-to-impossible to get in any other format. :shobon:

All those old O. V. Wright and Jimmy McCracklin and Joe Simon albums, for instance.

Um... All of those seem readily available on CD and streaming.

I would buy this on the cover alone for sure...

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Enjoy your music! But when you find yourself with more than a crate of records start looking into getting a real turntable. Those 2 in one or portable players use ceramic cartridges and 5-10g of tracking force.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Whoa, now. I don't think you're "getting it."

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Boinks posted:

Enjoy your music! But when you find yourself with more than a crate of records start looking into getting a real turntable. Those 2 in one or portable players use ceramic cartridges and 5-10g of tracking force.

It's only a single point of reference, but there was a YouTube video of a guy with a Crosley to see if repeated play with one of these heavy tracking force turntables really did any damage to the record and it wasn't until it was taken to extremes that there was an issue.

Like, I still wouldn't go out rushing to buy one personally, but they're probably not as damaging as a lot of people claim.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I started off on like one of those dumb folding crosley things. Either you play lps enough to care enough to buy another player or you're casual enough and it doesnt matter. I always tell people to just buy a better player than that poo poo but man if it gets you into it it it gets you into it. I mean ffs if you're not playing some super rare poo poo who really gives a poo poo.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

If you know what to look for you can get an old used turntable for less than what a crosely costs and it will be way better.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CPL593H posted:

If you know what to look for you can get an old used turntable for less than what a crosely costs and it will be way better.
depends where you live

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Eh Crosley makes sense for the intro/casual market because it's just "here plug this in and put the needle down and you're set". They don't want to be bothered with a receiver and speakers and maybe a preamp. I would bet that most people who are buying a record player now don't even have a dedicated CD player or stereo and just use iTunes/Spotify/Pandora for everything.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it's pretty daunting for a person new to playing music through anything other than a phone to have to buy a record player, an amp and speakers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

bowmore posted:

it's pretty daunting for a person new to playing music through anything other than a phone to have to buy a record player, an amp and speakers

I agree totally which is why I've always considered record collection the domain of weirdos and people on the spectrum. I'm still surprised that it made a comeback with the general public.