Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Most of the characters in Rogue One really were very annoying and not interesting. In particular I absolutely hated the blind monk guy. Every time he said his dumb little chant I just wanted him gone from the loving movie. The other monk was not much better. Same with the captain and the imperial pilot and even goddamn Gin. Why the gently caress did they put so many worthless stupid characters in this movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
The blind monk was cool but poorly used, I thought he would have copied Obi wan's roll in a new hope and have to walk around a platform flipping switches quietly, then end up in an unwinnable confrontation and sacrifice his life that way. i also thought captain would have stayed outside to do the wires and such, in a han solo type roll, but i guess that would be too much copying from the originals.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I liked Rogue One and I still like RLM even though I disagree with them.

In fact, I don't even totally disagree with them in that they're totally right in that it's a movie for neckbeards and I'm one of the neckbeards who ate it all up.

Before I even saw the movie, I had a feeling that it would appeal to hardcore Star Wars fans but wouldn't go over too well with general audiences. Rogue One is pretty much like a somewhat okay Expanded Universe book or comic made into a movie, except it's not really specifically based on any particular one.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Most of the characters in Rogue One really were very annoying and not interesting. In particular I absolutely hated the blind monk guy. Every time he said his dumb little chant I just wanted him gone from the loving movie. The other monk was not much better. Same with the captain and the imperial pilot and even goddamn Gin. Why the gently caress did they put so many worthless stupid characters in this movie?

His name is Juan Widdaforce, and his cousin, Anda Force is with him.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

temple posted:

The hallways fights on the death star is plot armor with banter. Nothing matters either but it is presented in a tense fashion. They storm troopers miss so much that its a cultural meme. That doesn't make it bad. Likewise, two hardened fighters not talking doesn't ruin the RO scene either. They are different. Which, Mike has a thing about movies needing to be like other movies to be good. It is a blind spot in his criticism that comes up often. Its hard for him to allow movies to be different and good, he has certain favorites that he believes are "right" and films don't use the previously established conventions, Mike writes them off as "wrong". He is often correct in pointing out effective storytelling but blind to innovation.

Hahaha, lol.

Rogue 1 is not innovative, and honestly RLM has a point, its getting a free ride from a lot of people based on the star wars name alone.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

oohhboy posted:

Many Bothans died to bring us this information. This is not the movie you are looking for. You fell into the same trap wanting a different film instead of grading the film as is.

Weeeeaaakkkk.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

khwarezm posted:

Hahaha, lol.

Rogue 1 is not innovative, and honestly RLM has a point, its getting a free ride from a lot of people based on the star wars name alone.

You know what was great about it? There was maybe thirty seconds' worth of lightsaber. That's what's up. No more "lightsaber in every scene" goddamn stupid poo poo

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You know what was great about it? There was maybe thirty seconds' worth of lightsaber. That's what's up. No more "lightsaber in every scene" goddamn stupid poo poo

I also enjoyed this about TFA, the lightsaber fight was pretty short and not a 20 minute epic with swinging ropes over a lava video game level.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

khwarezm posted:

Hahaha, lol.

Massive problem with your statement, they gave TFA a free ride for no more reason than it was Star Wars yet didn't acknowledge that R1 had to have Star Wars things in it because it was a film based on Star Wars.

RLM hosed up.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I kinda feel like RLM were expecting a different kind of movie, though. They wanted something like the original Star Wars trilogy and instead we got a PG-13 Saving Private Ryan that happened to be in the Star Wars universe. I knew that was what I was gonna get going into it and I didn't come out disappointed.

I appreciate that they at least tried something different. Don't get me wrong, the prequels are really lovely movies, but I can kind of respect Lucas for trying to have an artistic vision, even though he completely failed at making actual good movies. TFA was much, much more competently made than the prequels and actually gave us some good new characters, but the whole movie just feels utterly devoid of creativity and plays it so safe, it's almost like it's scared to do anything new.

I think what I'm getting at is I have more respect for a well-meaning and ambitious failure than a success that didn't even try.

In the future, I don't think TFA will be all that fondly remembered. In fact, I'm pretty sure both TFA and Rogue One will be more or less forgotten. The prequels are still remembered and will continue to be, just remembered in infamy.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is no question JJ was scared to do anything with TFA other than shoving square Star Wars tropes into a circular hole because "Star Wars". JJ has always been a hack fraud and his chain of rubbish movies remains up broken as far as I am concerned.

I would watch R1 again where in I would never watch TFA again.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Yeah, JJ is indeed a hack fraud. I also like Star Trek because I just like Stars in general. The only JJ Trek movie I actually like is the one that wasn't directed by him and he had very little to do with.

I feel like Episode 8 is going to be the movie that really makes or breaks the sequel trilogy, because TFA was such a non-entity. Hell, maybe they should just make it a sequel quadrilogy instead because Episode 7 is mostly just wasted time.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The only JJ thing I noticed/didn't like about TFA was the fight with the CGI monster because JJ loves having CGI monsters.

Also the breakneck pace. JJ loves having people run everywhere and talk fast to create tension.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, JJ is indeed a hack fraud. I also like Star Trek because I just like Stars in general. The only JJ Trek movie I actually like is the one that wasn't directed by him and he had very little to do with.

I feel like Episode 8 is going to be the movie that really makes or breaks the sequel trilogy, because TFA was such a non-entity. Hell, maybe they should just make it a sequel quadrilogy instead because Episode 7 is mostly just wasted time.

Possible, but somewhat unlikely as these things are planned well in advanced and when things get chopped and changed the damage can be very noticeable where Star Wars 10 would be a sort of extended ending like the extended cut of the Lord of the Rings that could have ended 20 minutes ago but now it is movie length.

WampaLord posted:

The only JJ thing I noticed/didn't like about TFA was the fight with the CGI monster because JJ loves having CGI monsters.

Also the breakneck pace. JJ loves having people run everywhere and talk fast to create tension.

JJ is very good at creating "After Glow" by bombarding you much like Michael Bay does so you don't think about it until a couple days later only to find the whole thing falls apart. Speed =/= Tension. Tension comes from uncertainty the characters are facing which in turn you feel that uncertainty if done right. If you play poker or bid in an auction that feeling you have is tension, created by uncertainty.

The greatest error the RLM did with TFA was to immediately talk about it during this after glow period. they never took the time to really think it over. Their Plinket "review" had barely anything to do with TFA where it spent 90% of the time trashing Ring Theory.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

oohhboy posted:

Their Plinket "review" had barely anything to do with TFA where it spent 90% of the time trashing Ring Theory.

This is true but I didn't mind at all because Ring Theory is the biggest pile of bullshit and needed to be ripped apart.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I enjoyed it, but it was bait and switch.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Honestly, it's good that that Plinkett review doesn't talk about TFA that much, because there just isn't much to say about the movie and didn't really deserve a long form takedown.

My biggest beef about the movie is that it feels so... I dunno, empty? In every other Star Wars movie, you always get a sense that there's a larger universe out there, but not really this one. Jakku feels really empty, whereas we at least get to see Mos Eisley on Tattooine. We don't really get to see a lot of different creatures, ships, interesting locales...

I mean hell, the prequels got them so scared of politics that they don't even bother to explain that status quo of the galaxy, who the Resistance are and why they're separate from the New Republic, what the deal with the First Order is, and so on.

There is so much information in the movie that feels like it's been deliberately left out so they can keep you guessing in time for a sequel. Who the hell is Snoke? What happened to Luke and his Jedi academy? What's the deal with Rey? Well, guess you gotta wait for a later movie to find out! It almost feels like we skipped a much more interesting movie between episodes 6 and 7. This kind of reminds me of another infamous JJ Abrams project that would string viewers along with UNANSWERED MYSTERIES!!! only to end in total disappointment. Instead of having the audience wonder what happens next, we're all scratching out heads wondering what the hell happened before.

The final battle in the third act was anemic as hell. So, the First Order builds this huge superweapon out of a planet and they only defend it with like, 10 TIE Fighters? You go from the kickass finale of Return of the Jedi to the underwhelming wet fart of TFA's third act. Rogue One had a much better final battle, because it was very ROTJ in space, mixed with Saving Private Ryan on the ground.

And yeah, I realize they're aping ANH in TFA and that was smaller scale and didn't feature any capital ships or anything as well, but that one actually had tension in it - so much so that you could cut it with a knife. Same thing with the finale of Empire - Vader is like an imposing, unstoppable force of evil in that one. Never do I ever feel even remotely concerned for Rey's safety. She completely clowns the antagonist of the movie with zero training or effort. Kylo Ren and the First Order feel like complete jokes who are only barely more threatening than General Grevious and his battle droids, despite having blown up way more planets than the Empire ever did.

Now, after this huge rant, do I think TFA was awful? No, it wasn't. It was just uninspired and underwhelming.

Before, when Star Wars was bad, it was spectacularly bad. When Star Trek's bad, more often than not, it's just bland and forgettable. Star Wars is now entering into Trek Bad territory. The Force Awakens is only a few steps away from the Star Trek: Insurrection kind of bad. Don't get me wrong, it's a much, MUCH better movie than Star Trek Insurrection, but I've seen Insurrection multiple times and can still barely remember the movie at all.

People actively try to forget things like 10 year old Anakin and Jar Jar Binks. TFA (and to some degrees, Rogue One) have the opposite problem in that you have to struggle to even remember it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

My biggest beef about the movie is that it feels so... I dunno, empty? In every other Star Wars movie, you always get a sense that there's a larger universe out there, but not really this one. Jakku feels really empty, whereas we at least get to see Mos Eisley on Tattooine. We don't really get to see a lot of different creatures, ships, interesting locales...

There are a grand total of 7 locations in A New Hope:

Tantive IV
Luke's family farm
Ben's place
Mos Eisley
Millennium Falcon
Inside Death Star (I guess you could seperate this out as hangar/prison/etc if you want)
Rebel base

Nostalgia has blinded you.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

WampaLord posted:

There are a grand total of 7 locations in A New Hope:

Tantive IV
Luke's family farm
Ben's place
Mos Eisley
Millennium Falcon
Inside Death Star (I guess you could seperate this out as hangar/prison/etc if you want)
Rebel base

Each of them interesting in their own right and utilized properly and sufficiently.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Randarkman posted:

Each of them interesting in their own right and utilized properly and sufficiently.

Yep. Even when you don't count all the times we visit Tatooine in later movies and go by Episode IV alone, Tatooine is a pretty interesting, well fleshed out place. It has moisture farmers, Jawas, Sand People and a seedy space port with all sorts of criminals from across the galaxy. Jakku has some wreckage of spaceships and... a couple tents with barely anyone living there I guess.

They're both desert planets, but Jakku feels infinitely more barren and lifeless.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yep. Even when you don't count all the times we visit Tatooine in later movies and go by Episode IV alone, Tatooine is a pretty interesting, well fleshed out place. It has moisture farmers, Jawas, Sand People and a seedy space port with all sorts of criminals from across the galaxy. Jakku has some wreckage of spaceships and... a couple tents with barely anyone living there I guess.

They're both desert planets, but Jakku feels infinitely more barren and lifeless.

Jakku is intended to feel barren and lifeless. There's no real future for anyone there. Rey wanting to go back to that desperate situation indicates how damaged she was by her abandonment.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Randarkman posted:

That's the difference. It's difficult to dig too deep into it without getting all FILM THEORY but no seriously JJ sucks rear end at filming things. Captain Phasma is a great example- we know the director wanted us to think this is such a great character. They all knew how important that character was in marketing. But the actual scenes Phasma is in don't add up to the narrative they wanted. Maybe part of that was just left on the editing room floor, but in the movie we got, we do not see the narrative the director wanted told. That's bad filmmaking. It's not personal preference, it's not interpretation, it's this guy sucks rear end at making movies and he didn't deliver to us what he claimed to do.

That's part of why these things fall flat. Nobody is really taking a step back and looking at how to tell a narrative, in part because they weren't hired for that, and largely because that's not what makes the big money most of the time. They were hired to slap together a bunch of scenes. And that's what you get. You get "a shot of Kirk looking mad, a shot of a Klingon looking menacing, a shot of Khan shooting Klingons, a shot of Kirk getting kicked by a Klingon". But nobody stands back to see if that makes an action scene where Khan is actually shooting Klingons in the same room where Kirk is, because that's fundamentally not what they're focused on capturing.

It's exciting, it's visually dense. But the icing comment is dead-on, all fluff with no filler.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

PostNouveau posted:

Jakku is intended to feel barren and lifeless. There's no real future for anyone there. Rey wanting to go back to that desperate situation indicates how damaged she was by her abandonment.

Barren and lifeless as in a soundstage, not as in the moisture farm in New Hope where we immediately get the sense of why Luke would want to leave.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

revdrkevind posted:

Barren and lifeless as in a soundstage, not as in the moisture farm in New Hope where we immediately get the sense of why Luke would want to leave.

Gotcha.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!
Carrie Fisher didn't make it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
these movies i have obsessed over for the last 30 years are not as dear to me as the ones that came out last year , this is a failure on the part of the filmmakers

also rip miss fisher

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLmZNnMT0A

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Archaic posted:

Carrie Fisher didn't make it.

gently caress.

I know she did a bunch of cocaine but 60 is too young.

Don't do a ton of cocaine, kids.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
How many years do we wait before they can put her CGI face onto someone in a future movie

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Well, Episode IX is going to be a little awkward now. I guess Princess Leia died offscreen on the way back to her home planet.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well, Episode IX is going to be a little awkward now. I guess Princess Leia died offscreen on the way back to her home planet.

Alderaan?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Zzulu posted:

How many years do we wait before they can put her CGI face onto someone in a future movie

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Have you seen Rogue One ...

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
No, but I know that's what they did in that movie

Once they got ya on camera, your face is theirs forever~

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Zzulu posted:

We now have the technology so that the actors in our movies don't actually have to still be alive. *phew* perfect timing guys.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!
If the studio had any respect (they don't), they would cut Leia's scenes out of Episode VIII so our last shot of her in Star Wars is hugging Rey. I feel like that would be a nice send off.

They won't do that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They literally made a CGI puppet of a dead guy for Rogue One, you're out of your mind if you think Disney have any respect.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They literally made a CGI puppet of a dead guy for Rogue One, you're out of your mind if you think Disney have any respect.

You remember the talking skull on the pirates of the Caribbean ride? Walt Disney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
rip Carrie :smith:

• Locked thread