Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

2017 exmarx posted:

no, but it amounts to the same thing & is a pretty stupid point to quibble over

I disagree because the point of their argument is that people soundly rejected Hillary and Republicans just voted for the R. This deliberately ignores that a solid portion of those 2 million extra votes were his white supremacist base who generally don't vote.
Nazis coming out for the nazi was a 2 million difference in numbers vs ~100k for people who felt Hillary didn't represent them and stayed home or voted third party. Voter suppression and a poor on the ground presence in a few states swung it considerably more than "being a centrist republican running as a Democrat" which is what that person wants to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks!

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
You should play ESO while there is still double XP, Latvian Forest Mushroom.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

The Muppets On PCP posted:

lol the cspam dems thread is amazing

someone's seriously arguing in december of 2016 gotv is irrelevant in a general election

that thread needs to be gently misted with muscle relaxants

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

paranoid randroid posted:

Is that a euphemism for saying it needs to be gassed

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
its a metaphor for saying it needs to enhance its freaking calm

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

the paradigm shift posted:

I disagree because the point of their argument is that people soundly rejected Hillary and Republicans just voted for the R. This deliberately ignores that a solid portion of those 2 million extra votes were his white supremacist base who generally don't vote.
Nazis coming out for the nazi was a 2 million difference in numbers vs ~100k for people who felt Hillary didn't represent them and stayed home or voted third party. Voter suppression and a poor on the ground presence in a few states swung it considerably more than "being a centrist republican running as a Democrat" which is what that person wants to believe.

And this is what you want to believe.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Do you know what cspam is about my man

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
rudatron and migf posts, apparently

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

it needs to enhance its living on planet earth

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Volkerball posted:

And this is what you want to believe.

It holds up to the facts unlike calling her a Republican

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

hillary lost a lot of votes in a lot of states, which was compensated by her winning a lot of votes in a few states that weren't going to flip either way (like california, texas etc)

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Guess I picked a good time to take a break from it, my promise to make a RPG thread being delayed nonwithstanding

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

there were about 12 million more eligible voters this year than in 2012, and 8 million more people voted (129,085,409 to 137,053,916), so comparing the raw numbers is misleading. turnout was about the same in both years (~55%).

if you compare obama's share of the popular vote to clinton's in 2016 numbers, i think the difference might become clearer:

clinton 16 (48.04%): 65,844,954
obama 12 (51.1%): 70,034,551

and for fun

obama 08 (52.9%): 72,501,521

a solid portion of those 2 million extra votes were his white supremacist base who generally don't vote.

what is this based on?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

It holds up to the facts unlike calling her a Republican

It doesn't hold up to facts any more than the other 100 hypotheses out there for why she lost.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/DrJillStein/status/813213099427827712

merry christmas to you too jill stein

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Volkerball posted:

It doesn't hold up to facts any more than the other 100 hypotheses out there for why she lost.

she lost because she was a weak candidate, and because the dems thought they could replicate the obama coalition without actually offering them anything (because they're a bunch of means-testing technocratic freaks)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

turnout numbers are way too erratic to reliably attribute them to anything beyond "more people show up to the polls when the nation is widely seen as being in crisis"

Trump got a million more votes than George Bush did in 2004, and is also the first Republican presidential candidate ever to top Bush's total number of votes from 2004, in spite of the fact that the voting-age population has grown by roughly 30 million people over those last twelve years

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

I'm excited for Dr. Jill Stein's stunning scoop on how water is wet in 2017.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
trump got 130% as many votes as nixon did in '72

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

2017 exmarx posted:

she lost because she was a weak candidate, and because the dems thought they could replicate the obama coalition without actually offering them anything (because they're a bunch of means-testing technocratic freaks)

No she lost because we stopped beating up nerds in this country.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Randler posted:

I'm excited for Dr. Jill Stein's stunning scoop on how water is wet in 2017.

Volkerball posted:

No she lost because we stopped beating up nerds in this country.

quote:

means-testing technocratic freaks
:colbert:

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

2017 exmarx posted:

there were about 12 million more eligible voters this year than in 2012, and 8 million more people voted (129,085,409 to 137,053,916), so comparing the raw numbers is misleading. turnout was about the same in both years (~55%).

if you compare obama's share of the popular vote to clinton's in 2016 numbers, i think the difference might become clearer:

clinton 16 (48.04%): 65,844,954
obama 12 (51.1%): 70,034,551

and for fun

obama 08 (52.9%): 72,501,521

what is this based on?

In the context of the bit posted above where they specifically stated trump as getting fewer votes as a way to denigrate Hillary winning so much by the popular vote the larger number of eligible voters wasn't the point.

The second bit is me firmly not seeing this as a undecided voters who always go for who makes a biggest splash and other lunatics who swing their votes. It's pretty obviously a large subset of people who voted because of Trump's racist rhetoric who normally sit out. Obviously this managed to outweigh the Republicans who chose not to vote.

The small super tiny ridiculously stupid groups of people who chose not to vote for Hillary because she wasn't leftist or inspiring to them definitely didn't swing the election.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Randler posted:

You should play ESO while there is still double XP, Latvian Forest Mushroom.
im enjoying new path of exile league way too much

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6L9OcaPFqM

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Just because Bin Laden was (allegedly) not directly funded by the US does not suddenly make all the instances of America supplying terrorist organizations either accidentally or deliberately disappear.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

In the context of the bit posted above where they specifically stated trump as getting fewer votes as a way to denigrate Hillary winning so much by the popular vote the larger number of eligible voters wasn't the point.

The second bit is me firmly not seeing this as a undecided voters who always go for who makes a biggest splash and other lunatics who swing their votes. It's pretty obviously a large subset of people who voted because of Trump's racist rhetoric who normally sit out. Obviously this managed to outweigh the Republicans who chose not to vote.

The small super tiny ridiculously stupid groups of people who chose not to vote for Hillary because she wasn't leftist or inspiring to them definitely didn't swing the election.

clinton suffered losses with the entire working class. many white voters who went for obama twice voted for trump (because he ran on the same kind of 'bring the jobs back' rhetoric as obama), and lots of black voters just stayed home. this analysis is p comprehensive: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/23/upshot/how-the-obama-coalition-crumbled-leaving-an-opening-for-trump.html

this equates to a 7.7% drop in black turnout in georgia, 5.3% in louisiana, ~5% in north carolina. of those, nc is the only state to have new voter suppression measures in place.

this is also interesting http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/12/the_myth_of_the_rust_belt_revolt.html

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

2017 exmarx posted:

What did Obama offer that Hillary didn't besides being a stronger candidate

e: or rather, I think that the candidate problem mattered a lot more than the platform problem

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
i don't know if i'd call being subject to increased voter suppression because the supreme court gutted the VRA "staying home"

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Badger of Basra posted:

What did Obama offer that Hillary didn't besides being a stronger candidate

e: or rather, I think that the candidate problem mattered a lot more than the platform problem

i don't think you can overestimate the effect of obama-the-individual, but he also did this kind of populist stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWiSFwZJXwE

like, i'm fairly confident the clinton campaign could have found a couple of examples of trump being a piece of poo poo boss

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

UberJew posted:

i don't know if i'd call being subject to increased voter suppression because the supreme court gutted the VRA "staying home"

quote:

of those, nc is the only state to have new voter suppression measures in place.

????

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

2017 exmarx posted:

i don't think you can overestimate the effect of obama-the-individual, but he also did this kind of populist stuff:

like, i'm fairly confident the clinton campaign could have found a couple of examples of trump being a piece of poo poo boss

Oh, so that's what that SNL sketch is based on!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

2017 exmarx posted:

did anyone post this good-rear end vid yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MukQMCkwApc

"the best sci fi movie i've seen in decades"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN_VBc98dzg

*sigh*

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

2017 exmarx posted:

clinton suffered losses with the entire working class. many white voters who went for obama twice voted for trump (because he ran on the same kind of 'bring the jobs back' rhetoric as obama), and lots of black voters just stayed home. this analysis is p comprehensive: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/23/upshot/how-the-obama-coalition-crumbled-leaving-an-opening-for-trump.html

this equates to a 7.7% drop in black turnout in georgia, 5.3% in louisiana, ~5% in north carolina. of those, nc is the only state to have new voter suppression measures in place.

this is also interesting http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/12/the_myth_of_the_rust_belt_revolt.html

Once again completely unrelated to the argument at hand. Quit trying to fishmech me away from the original point of you insisting it was Hillary the politician and 'centrist'(maybe in a worldwide context) policies that lost the election

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

2017 exmarx posted:

Lol they did and they dumped it to the news people who reported on it once and moved on. The Mar a Lago chef is the one that stuck in my mind but there were numerous other instances that the campaign dumped on the media. Idk if they were in ads but that's already been said as a campaign flaw

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Once again completely unrelated to the argument at hand. Quit trying to fishmech me away from the original point of you insisting it was Hillary the politician and 'centrist'(maybe in a worldwide context) policies that lost the election

you're delusional dude. hillary sucked as a candidate and you're apparently unable to name a single policy she campaigned on

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Lol they did and they dumped it to the news people who reported on it once and moved on. The Mar a Lago chef is the one that stuck in my mind but there were numerous other instances that the campaign dumped on the media. Idk if they were in ads but that's already been said as a campaign flaw

like what the gently caress is this lol

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If she would've come out against the Iran deal and in favor of turning Assad's palace into pebbles she would've won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

willfully naive

quote:

As is well known by now, there is virtually no evidence to support the claim. Nonetheless, 15 states this year will have new voter restrictions in place to combat the phantom problem, just in time for the presidential election. The total would have been 17, but federal judges this summer struck down North Carolina’s law – possibly the harshest in the country – and blocked another in North Dakota.

​Courts also have ruled against all or parts of voter restriction laws in Texas, Wisconsin, and Kansas in recent months. But those remain largely in effect pending further court action.​

Most of these laws include strict photo ID requirements. Some also curtail early voting or limit the way people can register. All are part of a wave of new voting measures, including many enacted after the U.S. Supreme Court gutted a key portion of the Voting Rights Act in 2013.

• Locked thread