Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I vastly prefer arenas to warzones because pubbies suck at objectives. I've been trying to get some dudes together on Discord to run ranked groups, anyone interested? Maybe we can do a regular time? I'd be down to Tank with my Jugg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Just a reminder:

:sassargh: STRONGHOLD CHRISTMAS PARTY :sassargh:

Get the Dromund Kaas apartment stronghold if you haven't already got it for a whopping 5k* credits and decorate the crap out of the initial entrance room in whatever manner you so desire to celebrate the time of the year which it currently is. Christmas or whatever.

The rules:
1) Initial DK apartment entrance room is the only room we're using
2) 100 decoration limit (which is the amount the room unlocks with)

Deadline: 7th January 2017

Judging will probably be Medullah and myself, unless anyone else wants to help pick winners.

Prizes: Nonentity's fabulous new Unstable Peacemaker's lightsabers plus other goodies from the vault.

*Apparently on sale at the moment for a measly 5 credits.

Current entries:

Dely Apple
Dalris Othaine
M_Sinistrari

Aleth fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 27, 2016

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Because it never happened.

After episode 3 people were wondering "okay well where's the balancing the force stuff?" So then the theory about well maybe the prophecy wasn't talking about a good thing.

But Lucas came out and said "err, um, ahh" and then he wiped some sweat from his forehead with a stack of 100s, and said it was when he killed the Emperor, eliminating the dark side forev- oops.

What do you mean? Anakin DID bring balance the force.
Two jedi (Obi Wan and Yoda), two sith (Vader and Palpatine). Balance :v:

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

:(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Really a bummer. The cold, calculating bastard in me knows that Disney has a special "plot alteration file" for when this happens to either her or Mark Hamill.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Look, they brought Peter Cushing back to life in Rogue One this is small time.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

fruit on the bottom posted:

Look, they brought Peter Cushing back to life in Rogue One this is small time.

They've already finished filming the next episode, so they're going to kill her in that or between movies.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Medullah posted:

Really a bummer. The cold, calculating bastard in me knows that Disney has a special "plot alteration file" for when this happens to either her or Mark Hamill.

She'll die off-screen of a broken heart.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Aleth posted:

She'll die off-screen of a broken heart.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It's like poetry, it rhymes

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

It's almost like droids aren't unfeeling robots in Star Wars!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I kind of wish they'd revisit the aesthetics of scrapper scoundrel. Punching out sith lords and giant robots was funny for the first couple hours, but after a while I'm officially tired of the meat-slapping foley sound.

I think it'd be cooler if they:

1) replaced the bludgeon animation with sucker punch (or even bring back blaster whip, bludgeon is kind of ugly)
2) replace sucker punch with some kind of cool hip fire/fan the hammer animation (yes I have been playing overwatch, why do you ask), or maybe another thing using the shotgun.

Punching out giant monsters is just...a little too silly to stick with for the long term.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I just used my heroic moment and gave Darth Malgus a nut kick felt pretty good

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Ainsley McTree posted:

I kind of wish they'd revisit the aesthetics of scrapper scoundrel. Punching out sith lords and giant robots was funny for the first couple hours, but after a while I'm officially tired of the meat-slapping foley sound.

1) replaced the bludgeon animation with sucker punch (or even bring back blaster whip, bludgeon is kind of ugly)
2) replace sucker punch with some kind of cool hip fire/fan the hammer animation (yes I have been playing overwatch, why do you ask), or maybe another thing using the shotgun.

Punching out giant monsters is just...a little too silly to stick with for the long term.

Have you tried raiding with scrapper scoundrels? 8 straight minutes of whapping and slapping sound effects :v:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ainsley McTree posted:

They definitely need to use the shotgun as often as operatives use their knives. I was so disappointed when I finally tried a scrapper and it turned out to be all punching.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I agree with more shotgunning but at the same time, anything that turns Star Wars into the Three Stooges is aces

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The biggest problem I have with Scrapper isn't that they're punching, it's the big glowing fist when they land Flying Fists. Just looks like they suddenly became Green Lantern. I think the Operative version is cheesy too, but the Scoundrel version is just dumb looking.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

McSpanky posted:

I agree with more shotgunning but at the same time, anything that turns Star Wars into the Three Stooges is aces

Now I'm wishing that the scoundrel's counterpart to the operative giggle was a random three stooges sound

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Oh my god, the trade federation music (The Droid Invasion et all) from Episode 1 is what plays all the time in TOR during flashpoints and battles?

I thought it was like Darth Malak's theme revisited, but no, it's Episode 1.

I have played this game so long and had never pegged that down.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Oh my god the Odessen base music is from Episode 1 isn't it

It's all Gungans all the way down

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Episode 1 sucked but the music was fine; it's still John Williams Star Wars fare, you'd never know a gungan touched it

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Episode 1 sucked but the music was fine; it's still John Williams Star Wars fare, you'd never know a gungan touched it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOJ5kmqZbLw

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Dely Apple posted:

Oh my god, the trade federation music (The Droid Invasion et all) from Episode 1 is what plays all the time in TOR during flashpoints and battles?

I thought it was like Darth Malak's theme revisited, but no, it's Episode 1.

I have played this game so long and had never pegged that down.

Holy poo poo that's where it's from, I've heard that riff in dozens of Star Wars games and never could figure out where it came from

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
I'm vaguely considering giving this another go - have they done anything about about the skill/rotation bloat this game had?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kenlon posted:

I'm vaguely considering giving this another go - have they done anything about about the skill/rotation bloat this game had?

They removed a whole lot of abilities over time.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yes and no. Your rotation is still pretty much the same as it always was, but they removed a bunch of abilities that you weren't supposed to be using anyway. Which sucks because I enjoyed rocket punching people with my Merc and stabbing people with my sniper every once in a while, but people though it was too complex.

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

Medullah posted:

Yes and no. Your rotation is still pretty much the same as it always was, but they removed a bunch of abilities that you weren't supposed to be using anyway. Which sucks because I enjoyed rocket punching people with my Merc and stabbing people with my sniper every once in a while, but people though it was too complex.

stock strike with an assault cannon will be dearly missed :(

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Dely Apple posted:

Oh my god the Odessen base music is from Episode 1 isn't it

It's all Gungans all the way down
Isn't that from Sith Lords? From Dantooine, if I recall correctly.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

They also removed the stance buttons, aka the "here's an opportunity to make a mistake because you forgot to do a thing after swapping disciplines" buttons.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

I can still dance around keyboard turners on my Sorc taking the last few percents of their life with Saber Strike while they turn circles in confused panic because I won't let them get their cast of Tracer Missile off.

I fail to see the problem here. :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

They also removed the stance buttons, aka the "here's an opportunity to make a mistake because you forgot to do a thing after swapping disciplines" buttons.

But not the many references to them in talents, just for fun.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Mod for TOR when?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
New Blade Barrage is almost as dopey as new Ravage.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nah.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Asimo posted:

It's also the most divided game, considering they only ever relased half of it. :iamafag:

And really a lot of dumbness in the franchise - even in many official spinoffs and licensed products - comes from a fundamental misunderstanding of the force, assuming there's a yin-yang sort of light/dark balance, when it's actually that there's "the force" that is the omnipresent bond between life and all that, and "the dark side" that's a corruption of this. It's not some sort of separate but equal thing, if you use the dark side you are inherently broken. Look at all the sith and villains throughout the actual movies - the Emperor is a scheming, power mad tyrant who gets his only joy from proving that others are as morally compromised as he is. Darth Vader is ruled by his fear and doubt, and even in the original trilogy he admits he hasn't even attempted to redeem himself because he doesn't think he deserves it. And Kylo Ren- ... okay, this one's a gimme. I won't go so far and say that the main subtext of the series is that the galaxy desperately needs mental health services, but it's telling that the heroes only win through the trust, understanding, and support of their friends.

I mean yeah it's obvious that Kreia is feeding the main character a load of bullshit but the whole narrative of KotOR2 (including things from lots of other characters beside her) is still trying to deconstruct the series from a place that misunderstands it. And I'd rather take media that flubs something but does it earnestly and entertaining (like SWTOR here, or some of the other spinoffs) than a dreary, grinding, nihilistic slog of a game that seems to be giving a taunting middle finger to the property it's supposed to be part of.

This was a real good post, particularly the bit I bolded there. This is the huge problem I have with KOTOR 2. Taken alone, it's a decent sci-fi adventure with good characters. It just gets Star Wars wrong at every turn.

I think Rogue One was a good example of how Star Wars can have some moral ambiguity to it and still get the basics right. The rebels are haunted by the terrible things they've done fighting the Empire. They constantly fight among themselves (Cassian straight-up murders other rebels more than once onscreen) and they're basically terrorists. But it was written by people who understand Star Wars.

I think the Dark Side is best explained as a barrier you can cross. There isn't a gradated light-dark spectrum really, there's no real gray, but it's not as simple as "good and bad" either. "Light vs. Dark" is like surfing a wave vs. wiping out. People are complicated and flawed, and they have to be really careful when they use the Force, because one slip will gently caress you up big time. The Jedi are all about self-control because if you start dabbling in this power you put yourself at risk. The Dark Side corrupts the user, makes them insane, but the "light side" doesn't exactly "turn you good." You can absolutely be a morally gray Force user, but that's not "using the gray side," it's just a risky path because you're probably straying closer to that barrier. I'd imagine it's more difficult that way.

Getting "dark side points" for kissing a girl works as a video game mechanic, but it's not a very good interpretation of the mythos.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Getting "dark side points" for kissing a girl works as a video game mechanic, but it's not a very good interpretation of the mythos.

But what if I'm a white dude and she's not?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Man, I got all sorts of fuzzy feelings inside when I finished the Endar Spire mission and the character creation music from KOTOR played. :3:

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Medullah posted:

But what if I'm a body type 4 and she's not?

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
Man, do people queue up solely for Athiss these days? I think 80% of the fps I've done have been Athiss, and they consistently wipe on the beast until someone drops and we can bring in a healer companion, which makes it a breeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

But what if I'm a white dude and she's not?

what is this star trek??

• Locked thread