Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senf
Nov 12, 2006

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Was her role already filmed for episode 8?

I believe so yes. I assume they'll shoehorn in some sort of heartfelt goodbye scene ala Paul Walker.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
It's honestly breathtaking how loving terrible this year has been.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

ruddiger posted:

Something awful?

Everything awful.

Farewell, awesome space princess. Tell Peter Cushing about the CGI, he'll find it funny.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Jesus loving Christ why.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Farewell, awesome space princess. Tell Peter Cushing about the CGI, he'll find it funny.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

temple posted:

Its a stereotype. Look up stereotypes.

On top of what K.Waste says, nothing simply 'is' a stereotype. Stereotypes are not an objectively-existing thing.

A Japanese person eating rice, for example, is not a stereotype. A stereotype is the perception/assumption that most/all Japanese people eat rice.

Eliminating all instances of a Japanese person eating rice from media is not antiracism. The only other ineffectual solution proposed by liberals is to ensure that images of Japanese people eating rice are supplemented with assurances of their psychological 'depth' and 'complexity'. In other words, Japanese characters are only allowed to eat rice if they're the protagonist - and only a certain type of protagonist (i.e. Ripley).

This is a lot more pointless and difficult than simply perceiving Japanese people as people.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 27, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

OldTennisCourt posted:

Yeah, I was looking at a list of people who died this year and it was like, "gently caress, I didn't even remember that since so many other awesome people died."

What a poo poo year.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Can we get a thread title change?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

"Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not."
:qq:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

BillBear posted:

Jesus loving Christ why.

Drugs, mostly.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Wow. We're you all friends of this lady?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRrm59Z_0w4

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

K. Waste posted:

Jar-Jar is not a stereotype, and you have not demonstrated that he is. You merely have continued to do what you have always done, which is to conflate superficial content of his conceptualization with the monolithic specter of stereotypes, which you yourself refuse to actually engage or deconstruct critically, in context or otherwise.

Jar-Jar is portrayed nothing like the crows in Dumbo. He is not an ornamental, hive mind musical group with a white band leader playing a 'cool'/hip dandy. He is not a rustic bumpkin who stands in for the idyllic fantasizing of the American South and midwest. The language barrier between himself and the Jedi never even approaches the self-effacing non-sense of the lyrics Edwards sings, because Best and Lucas are specifically showing that Jar-Jar is apart from the status quo of the film's setting, without him being some hyperbolic entity who signifies only apartness from the neutral order.

Also unlike Goofy and those crows, Jar Jar is not literally black.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

On top of what K.Waste says, nothing simply 'is' a stereotype. Stereotypes are not an objectively-existing thing.

A Japanese person eating rice, for example, is not a stereotype. A stereotype is the perception/assumption that most/all Japanese people eat rice.

Eliminating all instances of a Japanese person eating rice from media is not antiracism. The only other ineffectual solution proposed by liberals is to ensure that images of Japanese people eating rice are supplemented with assurances of their psychological 'depth' and 'complexity'. In other words, only Japanese characters are only allowed to eat rice if they're the protagonist - and only a certain type of protagonist (i.e. Ripley).

This is a lot more pointless and difficult than simply perceiving Japanese people as people.
I'm not even arguing Japanese stuff. I can't prove something is racist no more than you can prove that something isn't racist. The issue with Jar-Jar is clear to me. How can you argue that his character isn't a traditional stereotypical depiction of an African American slave? The only argument you have presented is that he has an arc. So did Uncle Tom. We had this argument a few months back. Giving a character an arc doesn't elevate the character and it isn't anti-racism. He's just a racist stereotype with an arc. Jar-Jar is a senator now, I guess racism dead. Kinda like how racism ended with President Obama was elected, huh?

At best, Jar Jar exploits a stereotype is in a tone deaf way to combat it, which is still white privilege and subtle racism.

edit again: A stereotype can be a presented as a concrete character. It is based on perception made real (in film in this case).

temple fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 27, 2016

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
RIP Carrie

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I found out about Carrie Fisher literally as I was walking out of Rogue One. :(

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Thanks for this, by the way. :unsmith:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

OldTennisCourt posted:

loving seriously. On Sunday when I heard George Michael had passed away, I remarked to one of my friends that 2016 just can't stop loving killing celebrities. His reply? "The year isn't over yet." And here we are.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Either George Lucas was a pervert or he's the dumbest motherfucker.

Your body doesn't expand in space in a pressurized atmosphere.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phylodox posted:

I found out about Carrie Fisher literally as I was walking out of Rogue One. :(

It certainly lends a little 'huh' to the last shot. :/

Josh Lyman posted:

George Lucas has never been particularly ashamed of being an incredibly thirsty man.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Watch episode 2 for the answer to this one.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RIP Carrie. You seemed cool.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Josh Lyman posted:

Why not both?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

temple posted:

I'm not even arguing Japanese stuff. I can't prove something is racist no more than you can prove that something isn't racist. The issue with Jar-Jar is clear to me. How can you argue that his character isn't a traditional stereotypical depiction of an African American slave? The only argument you have presented is that he has an arc. So did Uncle Tom. We had this argument a few months back. Giving a character an arc doesn't elevate the character and it isn't anti-racism. He's just a racist stereotype with an arc. Jar-Jar is a senator now, I guess racism dead. Kinda like how racism ended with President Obama was elected, huh?

At best, Jar Jar exploits a stereotype is in a tone deaf way to combat it, which is still white privilege and subtle racism.

edit again: A stereotype can be a presented as a concrete character. It is based on perception made real (in film in this case).

The only arguement you've presented isn't even an arguement, its just a label (or maybe a comparison).

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So yeah, since Carrie completed all of her filming for Episode 8 I guess we better all hope Leia was gonna die in the movie already otherwise this is going to be a real loving mess.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

gently caress you 2016 :/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So yeah, since Carrie completed all of her filming for Episode 8 I guess we better all hope Leia was gonna die in the movie already otherwise this is going to be a real loving mess.

If Peter Cushing can get work from beyond the grave...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean, they already have her CGI double...

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Look at this person who hasn't seen Rogue One yet.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

I said come in! posted:

gently caress you 2016 :/

loving this. gently caress. gently caress!!!! Not Carrie too. This is the worst.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

AndyElusive posted:

I have, and I sincerely hope they don't have to CG Carrie Fisher into episode IX. We've come a long way, but Rogue One showed that we're definitely not quite there yet.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Carrie...May the force be with you. :cry:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

I have.

So she better be dead in the movie. Or we're gonna get some awkward unsatisfying off screen death in between 8 and 9.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Or we're gonna get some awkward unsatisfying off screen death in between 8 and 9.

I really hope this is what we get. It's always way more respectful and easily understood then trying to cram it onto the screen.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

I really hope this is what we get. It's always way more respectful and easily understood then trying to cram it onto the screen.

lol respectful, there's probably gonna be an entire EU book devoted to it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
the force awakens was a pretty bland movie

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

Wild Horses posted:

which episode is this? I'm considering watching the whole thing too

Season 4, Episodes 7-10.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

lol respectful, there's probably gonna be an entire EU book devoted to it.

This is SW we are talking about. There will be a trilogy of books dedicated to it as well as a comic tie-in miniseries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Jesus Christ this year.

• Locked thread