Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Phylodox posted:

I found out about Carrie Fisher literally as I was walking out of Rogue One. :(

This was me as well by the way. I got a text from someone. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Samovar posted:

Jesus Christ this year.

It's the same as every year, but as you get older you know more of the people in the obituaries section.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Worst year ever. Ugh. And I got diabetes last year.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

temple posted:

The issue with Jar-Jar is clear to me. How can you argue that his character isn't a traditional stereotypical depiction of an African American slave?

For starters, Jar Jar is neither a slave nor an American - even in the loosest metaphorical sense.

Naboo is rather unambiguously European in style. And Jar Jar is closest to a Gunga Din type of Indian servant/guide figure. That is the origin of the 'Gungan' name. Gunga Din is about a servant (a water-bearer) who is loyal and kind even in the face of death, in spite of the racist abuse he receives from the British. The story ends with the British realizing that Gunga Din was a far better man than them.

(George Lucas had previously explored pulp imagery of colonialism in India with Temple Of Doom, whose fictionalized Thugee cult was taken from... the 1939 film adaptation of Gunga Din.)

Lucas twists this imagery with the fact that the Republic characters never even approach that sort of realization. They simply assimilate Jar Jar into the Republic now that he's outlived his usefulness. And this is obviously far more progressive than Kipling; Jar Jar is explicitly not made into a martyr for the colonial powers, as Gunga Din was. Jar Jar is shown to be additionally exploited by the colonists, held up as a token example of Republic multiculturalism.

And then, Jar Jar acts nothing like a stereotypical Indian. He's an 'Indian' who acts like a vaudeville character.

You aren't even getting your stereotypes straight, because you don't have any understanding of what you're talking about. Shown imagery of European imperialism, you talk about slavery in the United States.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Josh Lyman posted:

Either George Lucas was a pervert or he's the dumbest motherfucker.

I think Episodes I-III are strong evidence that George is a complete idiot

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

(George Lucas had previously explored pulp imagery of colonialism in India with Temple Of Doom, whose fictionalized Thugee cult was taken from... the 1939 film adaptation of Gunga Din.)
I'm not sure Lucas should get much credit for how India was portrayed in the film. Most of that probably goes to the screenwriters Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Jar Jar is a loving clumsy moron who only helps people by accident. He's an irritating character who perpetuates ancient stereotypes of Aftican Americans. He sucks. People who defend him suck.'the end.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Man gently caress this year

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Super Fan posted:

Jar Jar is a loving clumsy moron who only helps people by accident. He's an irritating character who perpetuates ancient stereotypes of Aftican Americans. He sucks. People who defend him suck.'the end.

What stereotypes, precisely?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Phylodox posted:

I have, and I sincerely hope they don't have to CG Carrie Fisher into episode IX. We've come a long way, but Rogue One showed that we're definitely not quite there yet.

Oh, they don't have to.

But they're going to anyway.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Super Fan posted:

Jar Jar is a loving clumsy moron who only helps people by accident.

He actually deliberately goes out of his way to help people many times in the films.

I recommend watching The Phantom Menace if you want to see for yourself.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

To illustrate how well George got his ideas across, fans continuing to puzzle over Jar Jar now suspect he was at minimum supposed to be a Sith collaborator.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Super Fan posted:

ancient stereotypes of Aftican Americans.

How old do you think this country is?

How long do you think that the term "African American" has been around? How do you reconcile the age of both with your perception of "ancient stereotypes"?

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

ruddiger posted:

How old do you think this country is?

How long do you think that the term "African American" has been around? How do you reconcile the age of both with your perception of "ancient stereotypes"?

When I say 'ancient' I don't mean literally ancient. But I think you knew this already you oaf

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm not sure Lucas should get much credit for how India was portrayed in the film. Most of that probably goes to the screenwriters Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz.

Lucas and Spielberg are both auteur producers. See: Super 8, Gremlins, etc. Even Transformers is identifiable as the Michael Bay version of a Spielberg film. Lucas is not different, and Temple Of Doom is their collaboration.

Temple Of Doom is very much a mix of all 6 Star Wars films, and Gremlin 2's anarchic parody. It's literally a prequel.

(Spielberg would later refine this style into his satirical Jurassic Park 2.)

Outlaw Vern recently did an entire series of reviews ("Lucas Minus Star Wars") analyzing Lucas' various producer credits, if you are interested.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I hear that for Episode VIII, Disney is going to feed snippets of all of Fisher's lines in the Star Wars films to a neural network. The neural network will then be a substitute voice actor for Fisher and whenever she "speaks" she'll be a CGI model.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

lol respectful, there's probably gonna be an entire EU book devoted to it.

That matters in no way.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Celebrity deaths don't usually affect me, but Star Wars has been a part of my life since I was 8. This sucks :( RIP Carrie Fisher.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

teagone posted:

Celebrity deaths don't usually affect me, but Star Wars has been a part of my life since I was 8. This sucks :( RIP Carrie Fisher.

Can you do something for me? Never watch Star Wars again.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

sassassin posted:

Can you do something for me? Never watch Star Wars again.

You can't tell me what to do. You're not my real dad.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Fisher was the youngest of the original Star Wars trio, too. But she lived a hell of a life.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You're probably not a star wars fan anyways because you don't have an appreciate for red lines on screen caps and seeing all of the penis imagery in episode 2.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Naboo is rather unambiguously European in style. And Jar Jar is closest to a Gunga Din type of Indian servant/guide figure. That is the origin of the 'Gungan' name. Gunga Din is about a servant (a water-bearer) who is loyal and kind even in the face of death, in spite of the racist abuse he receives from the British. The story ends with the British realizing that Gunga Din was a far better man than them.

I don't remember whether I read that "Gungan" was actually Lucas' kid's babytalk name for heavy machinery, or whether I dreamed it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

homullus posted:

I don't remember whether I read that "Gungan" was actually Lucas' kid's babytalk name for heavy machinery, or whether I dreamed it.

quote:

The name Jar Jar was assigned, as was Gungan, which came from Lucas' young son Jett's name for tractors and trucks. "I just liked the sound of it," says Lucas. "I'm always on the lookout for interesting-sounding words. I have to come up with hundreds of them, and I don't like names with x's and z's in them that people like to use in space films."

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/jar-jar-binks-a-digital-star-is-born-19990624

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

teagone posted:

You can't tell me what to do. You're not my real dad.

I am Alec Guinness, and I'm banging Carrie Fisher in hell tonight.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I preferred SMG's story :smith:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Josh Lyman posted:

I preferred SMG's story :smith:

Well, obviously George Lucas is lying.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Phylodox posted:

In one of the Plinket reviews there's video also of George referring to them as 'goongas'.

I think it is brilliant though how far some people are willing to reach.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Friendly thread reminder: Star Wars is in general the most well-documented film series in history. As a well-documented franchise it is second perhaps only to Star Trek (from which writers have reconstructed the entire 50-year history almost entirely from written and spoken accounts, without any conjecture of their own).

The Phantom Menace production in particular is one of the most closely-watched and studied productions in film history, with video journals at every stage of production, supplemented with countless interviews of professionals who worked on the set, many with George Lucas himself, and heaps of journalism on the topic even besides all that.

Because of this work, we know that every "George Lucas, Nth-dimensional chess master and deep thinker" theory you have ever read in Cinema Discusso stands in stark contrast to reality and is made up from whole cloth.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Wouldn't be surprised if Jett called tractors "goongas" but George later refined it to Gungans to make the connection clearer.

Of course, Lucas is a weirdo and refers to lightsabres as "laser swords" and wears Han Shot First T-shirts on set. And God bless him for it.

He just has a goofy sense of humor.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

quote:

The name Jar Jar was assigned, as was Gungan, which came from Lucas' young son Jett's name for tractors and trucks. "I just liked the sound of it," says Lucas. "I'm always on the lookout for interesting-sounding words. I have to come up with hundreds of them, and I don't like names with x's and z's in them that people like to use in space films."

Now I know why Zev Senesca and Zam Wesell get offed the way they do on screen.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I'm sure you guys also thought George Lucas was dead serious about Darth Icky as well.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mecha Gojira posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if Jett called tractors "goongas" but George later refined it to Gungans to make the connection clearer.

Of course, Lucas is a weirdo and refers to lightsabres as "laser swords" and wears Han Shot First T-shirts on set. And God bless him for it.

Regardless, he chose to use that name in that situation; the Gunga Din parallel is still there.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mecha Gojira posted:

Luke and Leia died after Return of the Jedi

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

sassassin posted:

Luke and Leia died after Return of the Jedi

This is Canon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mecha Gojira posted:

This is Canon.

Jesus Christ you made me go and check Mark Hamill for a second.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Iirc, it's something George says to a fan who asks, "what happened to the character after rotj"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mecha Gojira posted:

quote:

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

ImpAtom posted:

God, when Mark Hamill dies, who is going to play all of those theatrically maniacal supervillains on TV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Wild Horses posted:

please no.

let it be maul or something

We can all agree Maul needs just one more shot in a motion picture appearance for the character to finally obtain his truly iconic run.

• Locked thread