Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
Alright FF Thread I came to the conclusion I need to torture myself next year with nostalgia. I thought I would play through 1-15 skipping 11 & 14. Now my question is what which versions should I be looking to get without burning a hole in my pocket.
-The only way I have found to play 2 is in the Origins double pack for PSOne(This would also sort out 1 but I also have that on Wii Virtual Console).
-I have the 3DS version of 3 and it's a slog and was wondering if the PC port has the same "balancing" of the classes and lovely save system.
-I assume the best way to get 4 is the one on Steam.
-I have 5 in the PSOne FF Anthologies double pack.
-I have 2 versions of 6, one GBA the other the Aforementioned Anthologies.
-I have 7, 8, & 9 on Steam.
-For 10 & 13 should I get em on console or PC?
-I'm hoping the HD remake of 12 hits before I get to it next year, if not I have it on PS2.

Any help would be solid and I would be happy to post trip reports as I go through them if anyone is interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

-I have the 3DS version of 3 and it's a slog and was wondering if the PC port has the same "balancing" of the classes and lovely save system.
-I have 5 in the PSOne FF Anthologies double pack.

Couple things... With 3, unless it's been heavily modded on PC, I'd say stick with the NES game. And you want to track down a GBA copy of 5, gently caress the PSOne ports.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Any help would be solid

I assume you mean of the psychiatric variety.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Off the top of my head, correct me if I'm wrong:

1 - Final Fantasy Origins is probably the best version, as it fixes the numerous bugs of the NES version without going into the various rebalancing of the GBA and on versions that make the game significantly easier. Otherwise, PSP's probably your best bet.
2 - Again, PSP's probably your best bet, but any version is fine.
3 - NES version is your best bet for this one because the 3D remake fucks a lot of stuff up, but otherwise I believe Steam version adds some quality of life adjustments to the 3D version to make it significantly less annoying.
4 - PSP for the 2D version, which is more authentic to the original while keeping the quality-of-life improvements of the GBA version (and this version also includes the sequel if you're inclined), Steam if you want the 3D version with voice acting and overhauled (and significantly more difficult, in a mostly-good way) gameplay. Either one is fine.
5 - GBA, easily. SNES has a bland translation, PS1 version has bad load times and a poo poo translation, Steam has ugly graphics and some rather annoying gameplay adjustments.
6 - SNES or GBA. PS1 version has bad load times, Steam again has ugly graphics. GBA has more features, but SNES version is perfectly fine as well.
7 - Steam or PS1, I believe either is fine for this one. Steam includes some cheats to make life easier.
8 - Steam or PS1, same situation as 7 I believe.
9 - Steam preferred since the improvements help fix the game's major flaw of slow pacing, but PS1 is perfectly playable.
10 - Steam, PS4, or Vita. I don't think there's much difference between the Steam and PS4 versions, could be wrong though.
11 - Stuck on PC.
12 - Preferably IZJS version, though hopefully the remake will be out soon.
13 - PC or console, either is fine.
14 - PC or PS4, PC's slightly better but PS4 version is very solid as well.
15 - Console only, obviously.

Figured it'd be nice to have a thorough list of this since this question comes up pretty often. If someone wants to clean it up and fix some errors be my guest.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
PS4 7 has cheats, PC 7 just has the booster I think?

PS4 7 for reference has 3x time speed up, insta-fill limit breaks w/ full hp/mp heal, no encounters

Fun fact: even at max in-game speed and time sped up Fort Condor is loving terrible.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 27, 2016

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mega64 posted:

10 - Steam, PS4, or Vita. I don't think there's much difference between the Steam and PS4 versions, could be wrong though.

Nah, Steam has the extra boosters that aren't on any other version.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I main monk and play on controller and quite frankly have no idea how people manage to play it on keyboard and mouse at high level. Monk relies very heavily on a three step rotation and being able to simply press a different trigger but hit the same sequence of buttons helps immensely.

It's not too bad on KB+M. I got a G13 recently and I'm trying to set it up for FF14 and trying to unlearn years of muscle memory is not going well. Works much better for games like DOOM.

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

-The only way I have found to play 2 is in the Origins double pack for PSOne(This would also sort out 1 but I also have that on Wii Virtual Console).

Just play FF2 on mobile. Or wait until the FF collection comes out next year because it's going to have a translated and 'fixed' NES version on it.

If you play FF5 or 6 on GBA at least get one of the romhack patches that replace the awful GBA sounds with the SNES ones.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Off the top of my head, correct me if I'm wrong:

1 - Final Fantasy Origins is probably the best version, as it fixes the numerous bugs of the NES version without going into the various rebalancing of the GBA and on versions that make the game significantly easier. Otherwise, PSP's probably your best bet.
2 - Again, PSP's probably your best bet, but any version is fine.
3 - NES version is your best bet for this one because the 3D remake fucks a lot of stuff up, but otherwise I believe Steam version adds some quality of life adjustments to the 3D version to make it significantly less annoying.
4 - PSP for the 2D version, which is more authentic to the original while keeping the quality-of-life improvements of the GBA version (and this version also includes the sequel if you're inclined), Steam if you want the 3D version with voice acting and overhauled (and significantly more difficult, in a mostly-good way) gameplay. Either one is fine.
5 - GBA, easily. SNES has a bland translation, PS1 version has bad load times and a poo poo translation, Steam has ugly graphics and some rather annoying gameplay adjustments.
6 - SNES or GBA. PS1 version has bad load times, Steam again has ugly graphics. GBA has more features, but SNES version is perfectly fine as well.
7 - Steam or PS1, I believe either is fine for this one. Steam includes some cheats to make life easier.
8 - Steam or PS1, same situation as 7 I believe.
9 - Steam preferred since the improvements help fix the game's major flaw of slow pacing, but PS1 is perfectly playable.
11 - Stuck on PC.
12 - Preferably IZJS version, though hopefully the remake will be out soon.
13 - PC or console, either is fine.
14 - PC or PS4, PC's slightly better but PS4 version is very solid as well.
15 - Console only, obviously.

Figured it'd be nice to have a thorough list of this since this question comes up pretty often. If someone wants to clean it up and fix some errors be my guest.

I had forgotten they all got remade on GBA and since Dawn of Souls seems to be the same price as Origins from Gamestop I'll probably do that. 3 is the tricky one since tracking down an NES version is gonna cost more than I'm willing to put into it, I'll probably torture myself with the DS copy I have or give the PC one a whirl. No PSP so I'll probably do PC for 4 & 5 for ease. Everything else should be covered.

Saint Freak posted:

I assume you mean of the psychiatric variety.

By the time I get to 8 I'm probably going to be drinking heavily.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
A bit late on the strategy guide chat, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that information is easier to disseminate now; remember getting stuck on a level and having to wait til you could afford to buy the guide that told you how to beat the boss because the internet wasn't a thing?

Also, there are still some aspects of guide that I find useful. Maps and bestiaries in particular aren't always easy to translate online in a way that's as easy to read as a book. Even if the information online might be more comprehensive, I'm not sure anything online really matched up to stuff in the FFVIII bestiary in the official guide. Plus, it's just more handy to have a book next to you when you're playing then a laptop or something at times - especially if it's a desktop so you'd have to get up and move everytime you want to look up something.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Lightning Returns is really fun, but I hate that you have to kind of guess at the proper schemata before you face a new enemy

I realize that diversification is part of the strategy, but the constant menu-swapping to optimize against enemies in different zones is kind of annoying.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Not a Children posted:

Lightning Returns is really fun, but I hate that you have to kind of guess at the proper schemata before you face a new enemy

I realize that diversification is part of the strategy, but the constant menu-swapping to optimize against enemies in different zones is kind of annoying.

Generally what you want to do is create an all-purpose schema setup and then optimize once you know what you're facing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I wish that saved schemas could have copies of gear. Like if you have only one shard blades you could put them on all your saved schemas, but only one of your active ones.

(ask me about farming reavers to get a shard blade for every single schema)

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Just play FF2 on mobile. Or wait until the FF collection comes out next year because it's going to have a translated and 'fixed' NES version on it.

If you play FF5 or 6 on GBA at least get one of the romhack patches that replace the awful GBA sounds with the SNES ones.

This is the first I heard about the collection, I might have to put this insanity on hold until we get more details about it.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

ApplesandOranges posted:

A bit late on the strategy guide chat, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that information is easier to disseminate now; remember getting stuck on a level and having to wait til you could afford to buy the guide that told you how to beat the boss because the internet wasn't a thing?

Also, there are still some aspects of guide that I find useful. Maps and bestiaries in particular aren't always easy to translate online in a way that's as easy to read as a book. Even if the information online might be more comprehensive, I'm not sure anything online really matched up to stuff in the FFVIII bestiary in the official guide. Plus, it's just more handy to have a book next to you when you're playing then a laptop or something at times - especially if it's a desktop so you'd have to get up and move everytime you want to look up something.

Funny you mention the FFVIII guide (I'm assuming you're talking about the BradyGames guide), because I started playing through VIII against recently and found my old copy to fill in some of the gaps in my memory. With VIII moreso than any other game the bestiary is super useful because every monster has 3 tiers depending on your party level and for each tier there are different types of magic to draw, different items to drop (up to 4), different items to steal (up to 4), effects from the Devour ability, a card it can drop, a card it can turn into, a rare card it can turn into, and the various stats every 10 levels. GameFAQs is super useful, but being text-based has significant limitations when you're talking about video games.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Fister Roboto posted:

I wish that saved schemas could have copies of gear. Like if you have only one shard blades you could put them on all your saved schemas, but only one of your active ones.

(ask me about farming reavers to get a shard blade for every single schema)

I'd rather not.

I know about it enough on my own. :smith:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It was worth it to have Lightning show up with that ridiculous thing in pre-boss fight cutscenes like Caius.

she's all "mine's bigger"

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ApplesandOranges posted:

Oh yeah, don't take it like I am lamenting the spread of information on the internet as a bad thing. It's great! It's just that strat guides were and likely still are poorly positioned to take advantage of it. It's near impossible to compete with Free, even with the things that guides do well (like the bestiary you mentioned, or maps in general. Having dev access lets mapping be a lot easier on strat guide makers).

That's why guides are transitioning into that whole companion piece thing. The FFXV guide has some gorgeous art in it, a neat cover, and it tells you more about important pieces of the game's history than any of the cutscenes do.

Shifting away from guidechat, it's reaaaaaally obvious how messed up the FFXV's development was when you see the sheer amount of outside content exists to explain away the mysteries (and outright gaps) in the game's narrative. If you want the whole story, you need to read stuff in the guide/stuff transcribed online, a "novel" that is more of a script that has characterization for the main four, a movie that shows the crazy poo poo that went down at Insomnia, and then there's Brotherhood. There's likely going to be even more stuff coming to the game itself via patches, and more 'extra documents' that SE will push into the market for consumption, given how important this game is for them and how successful it has managed to be despite, well, everything.

It's not the first time SE has leveraged a franchise across multiple forms of media, and it won't be the last. I kinda wish that this time it didn't feel so much like they were doing it out of desperate necessity.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

You forgot the Kings Tale game and upcoming dlc to patch in the plot holes in ff15. Its a terrible way to tell a story, do world building or make a game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

You forgot the Kings Tale game and upcoming dlc to patch in the plot holes in ff15. Its a terrible way to tell a story, do world building or make a game.

They did the best they could with what they had to work with, I think. That's evident in the ending, which was definitely made from scratch with no legacy assets from the 7 years of grab-rear end prior to Nomura getting kicked off the project, and is genuinely well-done and touching stuff even with the ramshackle lead-up.

The fact that they're patching it at all shows that the dev team knows that the product is still less than optimal.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Attitude Indicator posted:

I dunno, done right it can be really effective at telling you different perspectives of a given world.

Front Mission is a good example on how to do it. Each of the games were contained well enough that you didn't NEED to play the others to enjoy one of them individually. You didn't NEED to read a novel or watch a movie to get what happens in each game. However, playing through them all, and reading the side stories, genuinely adds more interesting things to the overall universe. Rather than "filling in" for obvious flaws in the storytelling in each game, the novels and the manga all added a ton of detail to an already fleshed out world. This gave Front Mission a sense of a world in continuous conflict over the course of decades, and that there lots of people on all sides of the various wars were affected in many ways.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
What's everyone's ideal Final Fantasy tribute game?

If I had a choice, FFTA Battles with the full cast of FF Characters you can recruit with Fire Emblem conversations and supports. Just leave the characters locked into their base class and let them learn a support secondary class for the game.

Add in crystals or portals or something? Whatever.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
An HD sprite-based 2D fighting game with representation from every titled FF game including FFTA2. With ggpo netcode.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Andrew_1985 posted:

If I had a choice, FFTA Battles with the full cast of FF Characters you can recruit with Fire Emblem conversations and supports. Just leave the characters locked into their base class and let them learn a support secondary class for the game.

But can I have full-on Fire Emblem marry them and have babies?

In fact don't even have the combat just the marrying and babies.

The perfect FF game.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

This is the first I heard about the collection, I might have to put this insanity on hold until we get more details about it.

The collection's just a rumor at this point, but SE's holding an anniversary event on January 31 where we should learn if it exists or not.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Countblanc posted:

An HD sprite-based 2D fighting game with representation from every titled FF game including FFTA2. With ggpo netcode.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Andrew_1985 posted:

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's Theatrhythm

it was always Theatrhythm

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I hope we get a new theatrhythm at some point

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

It's still an unsubstantiated rumour at this point

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Andrast posted:

I hope we get a new theatrhythm at some point

Not of FF we won't, it was called Curtain Call for a reason.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kanfy posted:

and final fantasy was called final fantasy for a reason

Anyway, I'm fine with getting good music from other properties too, like Curtain Call already did with its DLC

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
WOFF has been a very close second though

Kanfy posted:

There's a new one coming out in arcades?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Andrew_1985 posted:

Lost Odyssey 2

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ApplesandOranges posted:

I always just wrote letters to Nintendo Power when I was a kid. They always responded even if they didn't print the letter. Most of the time I ended up grinding a few more levels and beating the boss a few days after sending the letter and about two weeks before getting the response.

Edit: Speaking of Lost Odyssey, if you haven't yet, go on Microsoft's Store page to 'buy' the free copy of it. It's only free until the 31st and even if you don't have an Xbox you can do it from your pc in case you get one in the future.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 27, 2016

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

But can I have full-on Fire Emblem marry them and have babies?

In fact don't even have the combat just the marrying and babies.

The perfect FF game.

Waifu selection is pretty good in most FF games.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Andrew_1985 posted:

Countblanc posted:

Both of these are good answers. I think for FE/FF it would work better to just assign each character a single traditional FF class as best you can; with a playable cast that large, much of whom are already understood to fulfill a particular role (or who already have classes related to them) there isn't really a satisfying way to provide the opportunity for class changing or secondary classes. We're talking about a game that could potentially have more than a hundred recruitable characters, depending on how far into each game's cast you're willing to dip. Especially when looking at a cast that size, you're going to want to let the player deploy as many characters as possible, meaning you'll probably want to lean more on the FE side to simplify things and keep battles moving quickly.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Obviously the game where you play as Gilgamesh hopping between FF worlds.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mega64 posted:

Obviously the game where you play as Gilgamesh hopping between FF worlds.

Developed by Platinum Games and directed by Hideki Kamiya.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I'd never really played a Final Fantasy before but I got a Raspberry Pi for Christmas and decided to try one, and I'm totally hooked on Final Fantasy III for the SNES (which is apparnetly VI?). It's like being a kid again, I haven't been hooked on a video game in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Welcome to the Final Fantasy series.

It only gets more batshit insane from here.