Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Julet Esqu posted:

Pros and Cons, I like you. You're One Of The Good Ones. Please don't ruin it with "OOoooo! You must not be tolerant unless you tolerate my intolerance" bullshit.

Detective Defoe is kind of an authoritarian :thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

kidcoelacanth posted:

I'm going to give credit to Intelligent Life for making me really like Barry as a person (even in spite of the comic's intentions), which is an incredible feat given how reviled this thing was when it first showed up.

It helps when we have to compare it to TInkersons, which is still the most abysmal trash. What is the joke here? "Child is terrified by middling threat?"

IL is significantly better than when it first started. It's still pretty dumb but it at least knows how to characterize and make jokes.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Shugojin posted:

Detective Defoe is kind of an authoritarian :thejoke:

True, but the lawyer is supposed to be slimy and bumbling and the therapist is supposed to be pretty cool. It's important to note what sides they're taking as well.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Dewgy posted:

IL is significantly better than when it first started. It's still pretty dumb but it at least knows how to characterize and make jokes.

"It helps that they've strongly de-emphasized Skip's creepy stalker obsession with Gwen and not-Quagmire's somehow being something to live up to despite being massive manchild who lives with his mom," he said, dooming us all.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
So how many hackneyed tribute strips can we expect this time? We already know certain comics that will not be named won't be able to resist.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Pop Team Epic

Honey Come Chatka

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
Of all the comics to do a crossover with Blood Meridian, I would never have guessed it would be this one.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Peanuts: Year Five (September 22-25, 1955)

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

WickedHate posted:

Honey Come Chatka

I enjoy the callback to Sachi's twice-resurrected grandpa :stoked:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

I think Tayo's quietly ravenous appetite may be my favorite running joke in the series.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The wind does not obey your whims, foolish denizen of Ballard Street

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Julet Esqu posted:

[ (Yes, I am the last person in America who has not seen the Guardians movie.)
Not so. I don't watch comic book movies anymore. The ones I have seen always suck.

treasureplane posted:

Gasoline Alley (October 16, 1923)

I can't wait another thirty years. Do Walt and Miss Blossom ever actually tell each other how they really feel?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Julet Esqu posted:

True, but the lawyer is supposed to be slimy and bumbling and the therapist is supposed to be pretty cool. It's important to note what sides they're taking as well.

I no longer feel guilt for discussing politics in response to a comic that was actually explicitly political in content.

It's All Right Chief Dharma

This is another one of those ones where the second half seems to stand on its own without set-up.

This isn't quite as out of nowhere as it seems. Servants to Korean Kings in antiquity supposedly did this. According to ten year olds anyway.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set makes up it own mind.

Working Daze will probably be pre-empted by a tribute strip tomorrow.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is what they DON'T want you to know. :tinfoil:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Some Guy TT posted:

I no longer feel guilt for discussing politics in response to a comic that was actually explicitly political in content.

The problem wasn't the comic, it was that your political opinions suck.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

gleebster posted:

I can't wait another thirty years. Do Walt and Miss Blossom ever actually tell each other how they really feel?

Yes, they get engaged in 1925 and married in 1926. Notably, Miss Blossom is one of the few major Gasoline Alley characters to die, despite the "aging in real time" conceit of the strip -- Scancarelli killed her off in 2004 when she was well past the century mark. Some of us suspect the backlash he got from angry fans put him off attracting any more controversy by killing Walt, who continues to totter around at the age of 117 or so.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Selachian posted:

Tunicate posted:

I thought he was an earth raccoon, because aliens just abduct and experiment on whatever the gently caress they can find???

That was his 1970s origin, which was quickly buried and/or retconned away when the Guardians hit it big.

I thought in the movie Rocket was aware that he was a racoon and even said something about how he has no idea how short his lifespan actually is now (or something to that extent). He also mentioned that this wasn't the first species he was transformed into.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Johnny Walker posted:

I thought that looked like too precise a mistake to make twice, so I checked. It appears that's what the box in the movie said.

So he's just looking for nerd cred for knowing about that.

Savidudeosoo posted:

Neither Rey nor Kylo when in that scene, you hack.
Being accurate with the detailing: looking for nerd cred. Being loose with the details: being a hack.
Niiiiice. :)

Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've never been so I'd just assumed it was a patina.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

I really like the skeptical look of the Chief here for some reason.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Some Guy TT posted:

You should instead feel guilt for being a really bad poster.

Adam Ames

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Les is paying off a judge?

Ah, this explains everything. He's on probation.

Many states in the US have a truly horrible system where those on parole must pay for the 'privilege' or get thrown back in jail.

Now that we know Les is a criminal type is perfectly okay to treat him like poo poo. After all, in the world Luann readers live in, criminals aren't even human.

Some Guy TT posted:

This isn't quite as out of nowhere as it seems. Servants to Korean Kings in antiquity supposedly did this. According to ten year olds anyway.

The English version was the Groom of the Stool.

Also, ignore the haters. gently caress 'em.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

SomeMathGuy posted:

Pooch Café

This is a really good comic.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

So wait, if Abbey, or Mark, or possibly the whale suggesting that ants caused the island to explode and rain down hellfire on our heroes?

Also, dunno about you, but if I'd just gone through that, I probably wouldn't be in much of a mood for idle, bland chat about upcoming conference papers.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

Now we're talking quality one liners.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Oct. 21, 1994)

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
is it possible Heathcliff is like a numbers station or something

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

We have a cat who often wanders in through our cat flap to have a nosh and sleep on my daughter's bed. Although he doesn't have a collar, we're pretty sure he belongs to someone around here, or at least pulls the same thing in other people's houses. He sometimes stays in the house overnight when it's very cold, but never wants to stay longer than that and gets upset if we try to shut him in, even in bad weather.

Anyway, no Buni today.

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Viivi & Wagner

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Today's Asaekkiga is...I don't know what this is

Seriously that guy's a jackass. Who takes food from their kid's plate right in front of them? Mad about Stealin' Dad :mad:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I remember the last time that was posted, I don't think we ever worked it out.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Today's Dogg™ (yes, really)

e.

Personally I think that we all should encourage Gilchrist to become a full-time poet.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 28, 2016

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Gorilla Salad posted:

tragedy lurks even over the sweetest scenes, death is certain ?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

WickedHate posted:

The problem wasn't the comic, it was that your political opinions suck.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

You should instead feel guilt for being a really bad poster.

This is the only thread I post in and we're getting a new one in a few days. Are you trying to get me to leave again?

Because Chief Dharma is getting political. Unavoidably so, since this is the period of time that eventually led to the current political mess.

But the most extreme his opinions are likely to get is "we should pay attention and react proportionally when necessary". If that qualifies as shitposting now no wonder everyone in this country hates each other.

csammis posted:

Today's Asaekkiga is...I don't know what this is

Seriously that guy's a jackass. Who takes food from their kid's plate right in front of them? Mad about Stealin' Dad :mad:

Incidentally I don't have a clue what this one is supposed to be about. Maybe it's commentary on suicide?

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Gorilla Salad posted:

Some Guy TT posted:

Incidentally I don't have a clue what this one is supposed to be about. Maybe it's commentary on suicide?

I remembered this one too. I think the interpretation we came up with last time was that the boy has a pet demon that kills people who wrong him (though what the Hyundai worker might have done is beyond me), the family knows about it, and Stealin' Dad just pissed him off. Kind of like that Twilight Zone episode where everyone has to think happy thoughts or the psychic kid gets to punishing.

So maybe the demon is metaphorical and it's the boy who's a pusher...but that seems a little deep for Asaekkiga generally

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

That cat is going to have sex with that dog's food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

csammis posted:

I remembered this one too. I think the interpretation we came up with last time was that the boy has a pet demon that kills people who wrong him (though what the Hyundai worker might have done is beyond me), the family knows about it, and Stealin' Dad just pissed him off. Kind of like that Twilight Zone episode where everyone has to think happy thoughts or the psychic kid gets to punishing.

So maybe the demon is metaphorical and it's the boy who's a pusher...but that seems a little deep for Asaekkiga generally

I think it's a personification of suicide and the dad is just BSing his son because he's planning to off himself, but I'll admit the "Fear Him" take is a bit more entertaining.

• Locked thread