Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

HPanda posted:

It definitely gives that feeling of danger early on when I can just barely take down a regular zombie before running out of breath. Guessing this will change based on videos. Haven't had a real night yet, just that fake one in the prologue, so looking forward to getting caught unawares by the time. By the way, any way to tell the time apart from the sun? I looked around the menus but didn't see anything. The character has a watch, but not sure how to look at it.

Yeah, the day-night cycle only starts once you pass a certain part in the story. Once that happens you should be able to see a clock on your map/inventory screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I'm gonna recommend Slayaway Camp again because - seriously - this is a fun game.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Clockwerk posted:

Dungeon of Endless is a weird amalgamation of genres and is pretty drat hard without knowing how to cheese at least one or two things, but I enjoyed the hell out of it all the same

Could you get more specific on those tips?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Mystic Stylez posted:

Get lucky enough to have a balanced party capable of harvesting resources well, defending choke-points, and going to kill certain enemy spawns that will snowball things and end your run super quickly if they get the chance.

You will almost never be this lucky.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

HPanda posted:

Played Dying Light a bit last night, finished out the prologue and just the first few conversations in the tower afterwards. Seems fun so far. I'm still getting used to the parkour (there were a few times last night where I just wanted to let go of a railing, but kept jumping off or jumping to the railing beneath instead). Also getting used to just how far I can jump and catch the next edge, how far I can fall, what breaks falls and by how much, etc. My intuition for these things has been pretty bad so far (how can he not climb a tall chainlink fence?).

It definitely gives that feeling of danger early on when I can just barely take down a regular zombie before running out of breath. Guessing this will change based on videos. Haven't had a real night yet, just that fake one in the prologue, so looking forward to getting caught unawares by the time. By the way, any way to tell the time apart from the sun? I looked around the menus but didn't see anything. The character has a watch, but not sure how to look at it.

Anything that breaks your fall will break it 100%, no damage. Cars will universally break your fall (for who knows what reason), awnings, dumpsters, that sort of thing.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Mystic Stylez posted:

if you leave a hero in a room you wont get spawns from it even if it is unpowered

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Justin_Brett posted:

Get lucky enough to have a balanced party capable of harvesting resources well, defending choke-points, and going to kill certain enemy spawns that will snowball things and end your run super quickly if they get the chance.

You will almost never be this lucky.

sounds like you need to hear some of those tips too

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Antti posted:

Oh that is cool! So I could play through the whole game and then if I set my par at "get it right at least once" I can read up later if I want and then find out if I hit my par. I was afraid I'd get a big "WAH WAH" noise after a case if I made the wrong pick.
It turns out I remembered this wrong for some reason but it's actually implemented even better. Basically when you're done with your choice the game plays the final sequence and then asks you if you accept this outcome or do you want to try again? There's a spoiler option on the same screen as well that will show you if the chosen culprit was the right one and how many clues you got from the possible number of them. If you're not satisfied you'll be taken to the moment right before your final choice. So you can actually go through all the culprits at the final screen if you want or go look for the clues you missed or just accept your choice without looking.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Quick question: Just bought Crusader Kings 2 since I've seen goons talking about it pretty much forever and it was heavily discounted. Looking At the store page though, there is boatloads of DLC for it, like $90 even when it's all on sale. Is any of it actually worth getting while it's on sale as someone who's never played the game before?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I'd like to personally apologize to everyone here for not playing Broforce before this sale. It's pure unfiltered fun.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Most of the DLC is cosmetic and kind of pointless. Each of the major "expansion packs" makes some group not playable in the base game playable, or expands on gameplay options for playable groups. So if you have any interest in playing: Muslims, Vikings, Aztecs, merchant houses, the Byzantines, Jews, nomads, or Indians, you can get the ones that appeal to you. Way of Life, Conclave, and Reaper's Due also add broader gameplay options to characters across the board.

Basically the ones listed at the top of the page are worth considering: http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Downloadable_content#Expansions

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

But note that all of the big features like an expanded map are patched into the regular game anyways. So playing vanilla, India(and Indians) exist, you just can't play as them.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Quick question: Just bought Crusader Kings 2 since I've seen goons talking about it pretty much forever and it was heavily discounted. Looking At the store page though, there is boatloads of DLC for it, like $90 even when it's all on sale. Is any of it actually worth getting while it's on sale as someone who's never played the game before?

What interests you? Some of the DLC is "region" based. If you wanted to play as Pagans, you'd buy The Old Gods DLC. Muslims, Sword of Islam DLC.

quote:

Sword of Islam: for playable muslims
Legacy of Rome: for Byzantine flavor and retinues (standing armies)
The Republic: for playable merchant republics
The Old Gods: for playable pagans and 867 startdate
Sons of Abraham: for extended religion mechanics and playable Jews
Rajas of India: for playable Hindu, Buddhist, and Jain rulers
Charlemagne: for the 769 startdate, tribal rulers, viceroy system, and custom kingdoms and empires
Way of Life: for improved roleplay mechanics
Horse Lords: for playable nomadic rulers, tribute system, and Silk Road mechanics
Conclave: for improved council mechanics, new child focus / education mechanics, and new internal law mechanics.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Spiderdrake posted:

Seconding this. I liked Don't Starve, but I think it suffers for its roguelite elements whereas Dungeon benefits from them.

That's a great way of putting it.

703 posted:

I'm gonna have to say not to do this one part, at least until you have died 5-10 times... and even then, just read enough to get you comfortable with whatever it is that is killing you first. You can ignore this advice for recipes once you get a crockpot Figuring everything out is half the fun IMO.

I went into Don't Starve with exactly this attitude.

My problem with it became:
-Playing the first 30 minutes of a survival game over and over and over gets tedious way faster than something like FTL or Dungeon of the Endless.
-Many of the learning experiences in the game are abrupt and unsalvageable, even hours in. The first time I reached winter, I froze to death in seconds because my preparation checklist was not the game's preparation checklist.

I wasn't advocating spoiling everything for yourself, but someone's probably written a basic, general FYI that can avert the more annoying deaths by ignorance.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Mystic Stylez posted:

It's been a while, but off the top:
-The really speedy character in the starting lineup is terrible. No idea why she's a starting character.

-Abilities that generate Dust or stall monsters are both extremely valuable.

-When you lose, it's usually because you started falling behind on character levels, resources, or tech multiple floors ago.

-A lot of people miss that you can refresh the cooldown on abilities by spending science on their character sheet.

-Dust becomes brutally scarce in the last ~2 levels. You need some combination of: Hero +Dust abilities, the Shop Module with a Merchant (generates Dust every door), Emergency Generator, and not getting totally hosed over by the RNG not giving you any Dust or powered rooms for the first 8 doors you open and spamming giant crystal monsters at you jesus loving christ I'm ruined.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Mystic Stylez posted:

This covers most of the non-intuitive parts of strategy, such as putting heroes in dark rooms to prevent spawning. Tear gas (stackable AOE dot + defense debuff), neurostunners (stackable AOE slow), and seblasters (AOE damage) are the top 3 monster-killing modules, as they're strong, versatile modules that get even better when combined.

You can min-max economy if you know the number of rooms per floor, but that's overkill if you've mastered the combat system.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Well, launched Witcher 3.

:stare: gently caress me. This game is pretty.

Hitman is also ridiculously good looking.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Is the Hitman always-online thing just a check on your internet? In other words, can I use the poo poo out of my broadband downloading stuff while playing it with no problems?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
When is the next big sale? I have the witcher 3 but I'm still 'playing' witcher 2 right now. By which I mean I'm finally playing mass effect 3, dishonored 1 and replaying xcom 2. I want the DLC for witcher 3 at some point but I'm in no big rush as you can see.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Also, holy poo poo, I had more fun playing the Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun demo than I did finishing lots of whole games. Can't wait for it to go on a better sale, it's a must-buy.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Why didnt anyone tell me Death Road to Canada was so much fun?

e: I taught a cat how to drive a car. GOTY.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 28, 2016

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Mystic Stylez posted:

Is the Hitman always-online thing just a check on your internet? In other words, can I use the poo poo out of my broadband downloading stuff while playing it with no problems?

Yeah it won't affect anything.

Ragequit posted:

I'd like to personally apologize to everyone here for not playing Broforce before this sale. It's pure unfiltered fun.

I've been playing with a bunch of friends and enjoying it quite a bit. That said it's very one-note and I can already feel myself getting tired of it.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Dali Parton posted:

What interests you? Some of the DLC is "region" based. If you wanted to play as Pagans, you'd buy The Old Gods DLC. Muslims, Sword of Islam DLC.

Alright, so it's mostly just extra playable factions as opposed to big gameplay changes like you'd espect from a Civ game. Probably will get at least one or two of those then.
Gonna spread the holy light of Mohammed across the continent.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Alright, so it's mostly just extra playable factions as opposed to big gameplay changes like you'd espect from a Civ game. Probably will get at least one or two of those then.

Paradox is really good about baking core gameplay changes into the base game when they release DLC.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

PantsBandit posted:

I've been playing with a bunch of friends and enjoying it quite a bit. That said it's very one-note and I can already feel myself getting tired of it.

I think that is most if the appeal for me. Feels good to turn the ol' brain off and blow bro poo poo up for 10 minutes here and there.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Basically, big gameplay changes which affect the "rules" of the game comes out in patches, such as extending the map. However things which specifically affect your gameplay experience and choices sometimes get locked behind DLC. For example, normally your armies get levied from the population of your territory and the territory of your vassals. If you want to have the option for a permanent standing army, you have to get the Legacy of Rome DLC to use retinues.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

Paradox is really good about baking core gameplay changes into the base game when they release DLC.

Kind of. They let the NPCs use the mechanics but not you - at least I remember seeing the AI use retinues before I bought the DLC that let me use them but I could be wrong.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

redreader posted:

When is the next big sale? I have the witcher 3 but I'm still 'playing' witcher 2 right now. By which I mean I'm finally playing mass effect 3, dishonored 1 and replaying xcom 2. I want the DLC for witcher 3 at some point but I'm in no big rush as you can see.

The next big one for the whole store will probably be in July(ish), but there might be some smaller big sales in the spring. No idea if The Witcher series will be included in any, but there's always the chance for a weekend or daily deal.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

Kind of. They let the NPCs use the mechanics but not you - at least I remember seeing the AI use retinues before I bought the DLC that let me use them but I could be wrong.

No thats correct. I did say really good about doing it, not perfect. :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Edmond Dantes posted:

Well, launched Witcher 3.

:stare: gently caress me. This game is pretty.

Yes, yes it is. :allears:

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yes, yes it is. :allears:

Geralt is gonna romance the hell out of that old timey sock puppet.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Wow, so I was picking up Tomb Raider and the Metro bundle and saw that Roundabout was on sale for $1.99 and remember hearing it from here so I decided to grab it as well. Got to admit that I've played roundabout a lot more than the other two. Great game, pick it up if you haven't already!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/303430/

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Islam is one of my favorite religions to play. It's got quite a few unique mechanics which really add to the whole experience.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Are any of the XCOM 2 DLCs worth grabbing?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

A reminder that there's a Mass Effect-style game set in ancient Greece that's like $2 now: Rise of the Argonauts.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I highly recommend Old Gods too, as it not only lets you play Vikings but also Zoroastrians and I think other pagans, and it adds an earlier start date that you can use with any culture. Imprison your family, sacrifice them to Odin, goty.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mr E posted:

Shen's Last Gift gets you MECs of your own to play with (though building past the free one you get and grabbing their upgrades is a big resource sink). Alien Hunters is a big difficulty spike - once conditions are met super boss aliens repeatedly appear up to once per mission, any mission, at random. What just about everyone hates about them is that they have their own special mechanic, Ruler Reaction, which means they get one move every time XCOM uses one action. You also get some new weapons to help compensate for that (and even more once you kill each of the three rulers), but general consensus seems to be that Ruler Reaction really pushes the challenge over the line even for folks who are normally into :xcom: Edit: Though I'm there have to be mods available to reduce ruler BS.

Anarchy's Children is basically a Mad Max dress-em-up pack, I think.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 28, 2016

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Mr E posted:

Shen' Last Gift missions run lightning fast compared to the rest of the game. Also the Anarchy's Children thing lets your characters look dumb as gently caress which is cool.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I highly recommend Old Gods too, as it not only lets you play Vikings but also Zoroastrians and I think other pagans, and it adds an earlier start date that you can use with any culture. Imprison your family, sacrifice them to Odin, goty.

But if you play as the Zoroastrians you can marry your family instead of imprisoning them. In fact it's encouraged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
How are the BG1, BG2 and IWD Enhanced Editions? Is the additional content any good?

• Locked thread