Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The new Shantae isn't really a metroidvania . That goes more to Pirate's Curse.

1/2 Genie Hero is fun. Pirate's Curse is still better in terms of levels but GH is still drat good. My only gripes are some of the transformations being sorta of a one use thing more and not really explored. You can probably cut like 4 of the transformations that aren't necessary. The backtracking ain't too bad. I wish the game was just a bit longer, the game's difficutly ramped up in the last level.

But apart from my gripes, enjoyed my time with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
After beating it yesterday, I am proud to announce Jenks from Contradiction is my character of the year.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

Is Shantae really that good

It's pretty good. It's not the best in the series and it's a bit short but it's cute and fun. Nothing amazing but still well worth checking out

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm scared to start Bloodborne because it's hard and I am addicted to Witcher 3.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i would rather play witcher 3 really

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Why are you scared of a game that's actually fun to play and fight enemies?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Bloodborne isn't too hard (outside of a few bosses) once you get into the swing of it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The opening gauntlet up to the first boss is pretty loving rough first time but once you get over that it's mostly plain sailing, apart from the DLC.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bicyclops posted:

I'm scared to start Bloodborne because it's hard and I am addicted to Witcher 3.

You should be more scared to start it because no other video game can ever live up to how amazing it is.

:bloodborne:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Why are you scared of a game that's actually fun to play and fight enemies?

I'm afraid I'll be laughably bad at it forever.

I'll get to it, though. I would have started it already except that I've only been home for 30 minute to 1 hours stretches, which is okay for a quest or two in Witcher 3 but not really "Start and learn a new game" length.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Not a Children posted:

It's a competent, if short, metroidvania with above-average music and nice visuals. Very much on the easy side.

Lots of backtracking, though they make it pretty painless as you get new upgrades

pirates curse gets incredibly difficult as you progress. i'm not seeing the same difficulty from the new one though - its been a bit of a cake walk and i'm 5 areas in. levels are more mega man now than metroid with replays for upgrades like mmx. the first of the modern trilogy, risky's revenge, is an actual metroidvania but its been getting more level based since.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My brother says that instead of "Metroidvania" we should start using the term "gear-gated" or something like that.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Jay Rust posted:

My brother says that instead of "Metroidvania" we should start using the term "gear-gated" or something like that.

Tell your brother that term sounds like the fetish of a robot.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Games like Dark Souls, where progress is limited by the player's skill, should therefore be called gamer-gated, and

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

put him to work on fixing rpg next

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

The opening gauntlet up to the first boss is pretty loving rough first time but once you get over that it's mostly plain sailing, apart from the DLC.

I'm doing the DLC right now and quit last night after flinging myself into the Ludwig fight like 6 times in a row

I finally got him to his second phase and then got owned almost immediately and had to go to bed

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Real hurthling! posted:

put him to work on fixing rpg next

I can't wait for Noclip's documentary on Jay Rust's brother fixing different game terminology

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Monkey Fracas posted:

I'm doing the DLC right now and quit last night after flinging myself into the Ludwig fight like 6 times in a row

I finally got him to his second phase and then got owned almost immediately and had to go to bed

Took me 20 tries to get Ludwig down.

Mostly cuz of the 2nd phase throws me off. You'll get him.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

How about shantae-like

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

gating sim

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is there any indication on when Risky mode is coming to Shantae?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Is there any indication on when Risky mode is coming to Shantae?

just says soon

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Monkey Fracas posted:

There's a sound cue that helps with his leaps, I think you wait for the soft "neigh" before you dodge

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

When I first started Bloodborne it took me six hours just to get past the first corridor in Central Yharnam. That is, the one street from the starting lantern to beyond the big bonfire.

Game is amazing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Every game from now on should have an art gallery of fan submissions like the new Shantae

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Every game from now on should have an art gallery of fan submissions like the new Shantae

they didn't edit for quality and there are some amazing specimens in there for sure.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I have determined that because you play as a very stylized historical leader with fine attention paid to chartered detail, the Civilization games are now to be considered Character Strategy Games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm 'playing' Virginia, it seems okay for a game where the devs obviously just wanted to make a movie but somehow ended up doing a game instead.
I might get that game. I liked the demo.

I'm okay with a game that's only story, it looks real nice too

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure how I felt about Virginia. It took a ton of inspiration from 30 Flights of Loving but it doesn't go as all in with being a dreamy stream of consciousness trip and without that it just feels like a story that doesn't give you a ton of the basics.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It was impressive how much disappointment Thirty Flights of Loving packed into such a short game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
30 Flights of Loving is not for everyone. It's going for something extremely specific but it pretty much pulls off what it's going for perfectly. It's truly fantastic if you can get into what the game is selling.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I sent out some friend requests to the people who posted their PSN names, but if you have or got a PS4 for Christmas you should add me, kittypoptart, so we can be gaming buds. I also cashed in more Amazon bucks for Battlefield 1 so if that's your jam on the PS4 definitely add me to so we can kill things cooperatively. Thanks for reading!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
LawfulWaffle, did you actually make that rock puppet?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Still having fun with Axiom Verge. The amount of weapons and mobility upgrades in this game is insane. I find most of the weapons just aren't really useful except in specific situations though. Up until getting the electric noodle beam I've just been using the normal red gun all the time, except when I needed to hit something behind a one unit thick wall.

Edit: actually the enemy piercing one was handy for the giant hornet boss but that's about it.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 28, 2016

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So forget GotY, what was GotM?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jay Rust posted:

What actually released this month?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

shantae
Dead Rising 4
The Last guardian

and a few other things

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Game of the Millennium is clearly Fanorona

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Game of the year is Kirby Super Star, let's all give it a warm round of applause

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

It was the European release of Picross 3D Round 2

• Locked thread