Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
philippe is standing on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
good post/username synergy here

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

S. Dakota is on the cusp of a breakthrough.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

.Spec posted:

S. Dakota is on the cusp of a breakthrough.
it's not what you're thinking, it's the native american reservation in the path of the dakota access pipeline

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

anthonypants posted:

good post/username synergy here

Improbable LODster

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

:same:

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
http://i.imgur.com/MaRIsUn.png

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
bray has to be the worst name i've heard in a while

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

WampaLord here with the wisdom

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

i've seen his storage array. hundreds of tiny thumb drives plugged into USB hubs. it's tremendous.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

philippe is standing on it

He ain't standing on poo poo no more now that onstad has killed achewood again

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Improbable Lobster posted:

bray has to be the worst name i've heard in a while

i know like 5 black guys in their mid-to-late 20s named bray. it seems to be relatively common in that age bracket.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

He ain't standing on poo poo no more now that onstad has killed achewood again

he ain't got time for webcomics he's got the ground floor on coffee flavored soda syrup

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

a sneak preview of my 2016 performance report in life

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/27/14088862/cops-arrest-oculus-executive-in-underage-sex-sting

quote:

A sting operation by police in Tukwila, Washington last week snared a top figure in Oculus VR’s leadership, reports Seattle-based NBC affiliate KING 5. Dov Katz, Oculus’ head of computer vision, was arrested for “commercial sexual abuse of a minor,” according to a police report. He was booked on Dec. 21.

Charging documents obtained by Geekwire describe an incriminating text message exchange between a phone number later shown to be Katz’ and an undercover officer working from an area hotel.

In those documents, the person Katz believes to be a prostitute first states she is over 18. She later asks Katz if he is comfortable being with someone younger, and he indicates he is.

quote:

Katz: how old are you anyway?

Officer Sudel: 19, u?

Katz: 30

Officer Sudel: K, younger girls ok with u?

Katz: Yes. More energy to keep up.

Officer Sudel: Can I be honest with u? I’m new to all this and a little younger than my ad says but I promise u won’t be disappointed.

Katz: How much younger?

Officer Sudel: 15 ... I’m sending my pic.

Officer Sudel: Just please don’t say anything ok?

Katz: Sure

Upon his arrest, police say Katz told them he was there to “rescue her and call the police.” Investigators informed him that he should have called them first.

The text messages cited in the charging report also included a discussion of Katz obtaining condoms, the number needed for the encounter, and whether the girl would consent to unprotected sex.

Katz joined Oculus in 2013, and stated that he is “leading Oculus’ computer vision and machine learning group” on his LinkedIn profile.

Tukwila police said Katz originally responded to a sex for money ad on Backpage.com police placed as part of the sting operation, codenamed “Buyer Beware.”

A request for comment from Oculus sent this morning was not answered at the time of publication, and we’ve likewise reached out to the Tukwila police department for more information. Polygon will update this story as necessary.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

so is everyone involved in the Oculus a terrible person of some sort?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

yes

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah I mean that's a pretty strong First Strip Ever.

phillipe is standing on it

e: lol beaten

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

i won't stand here and let you talk poo poo about john car-

oh wait, nevermind. carmack left forever ago.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gross

that's why you always play it safe and go
for finely aged milfs and grilfs. there are no laws about boning centenarians afaik

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Phone posted:

oh wait, nevermind. carmack left forever ago.
He's currently CTO.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

minato posted:

He's currently CTO.

isn't he a huge libertarian

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
https://twitter.com/thomas_violence/status/813912937555341312

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
carmack is also a terrible person

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

amazing

we're just finishing up the Battle of the Names and i'm still irritated that my top pick was taken by a goddamn westworld character

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sapozhnik posted:

carmack is also a terrible person

As reported in David Kushner's Masters of Doom, when Carmack was 14, he broke into a school to help a group of kids steal Apple II computers. To gain entry to the building, Carmack concocted a sticky substance of thermite mixed with Vaseline that melted through the windows. However, an overweight accomplice struggled to get through the hole, and opened the window, setting off a silent alarm and alerting police. John was arrested, and sent for psychiatric evaluation (the report mentions 'no empathy for other human beings' and describes Carmack as 'a brain on legs'). Carmack was then sentenced to a year in a juvenile home.[3][4]

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmm the similarities between him and other coders is astounduing

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
choosing to pursue programming as a profession demonstrates a tremendous lack of empathy for other humans

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i sell drugs to people because I want to see their boners increase and hypertension disappear

Analogue Kid
Jan 4, 2013

Street hookers trashier than I remember

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

describes Carmack as 'a brain on legs'
His brainpower is phenomenal. I saw him give an hour-long talk where he had no slidedeck or notes, and he seemed to be rambling, jumping from topic to tangentially-related topic. The audience were looking at each other like he was off his meds. At the end he walked backwards through each topic ("popping the stack" as it were), tying it back to the last topic to make a coherent whole. It's an amazing feat of memory, if nothing else. He also never 'ums' or 'ahs', and he answers questions instantly with hyper-articulate and thoughtful answer.

Having said that, he does come across as a robot. I'm surprised he has any political philosophy at all, because it seems that he only thinks about is computers.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

minato posted:

I'm surprised he has any political philosophy at all, because it seems that he only thinks about is computers.

well ya coders are often libertarians because they think society works like a linux

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

minato posted:

it seems that he only thinks about is computers.

:yossame:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

carmack is an excellent and textbook example of antisocial personality disorder (i.e. sociopathy)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Man not Carrie too.

I'm usually not about celebs but she seemed geniunely awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Man not Carrie too.

I'm usually not about celebs but she seemed geniunely awesome.

:same:

i wasn't down with this "2016 loving sucks" rhetoric but yup here we are

• Locked thread