Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Re commutes of death. I went from pretty good commute in the Mojave with full access to mountains every weekend to Houston. Commuting sucks but I like the seat time. Track days are the only solution now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Went from a nice semi back roads ultra low traffic commute in upstate NY to a a traffic filled mostly Lane splitting commute into Manhattan. Was not bad since i worked noon to 9pm so i missed rush hour both ways and i could park wherever i wanted in the West village. Now i work in mid town Manhattan from 9-5 and it's absolutely impossible to commute on my bike. Just insane bumper to bumper for the full 23 miles so zero time not splitting both ways. Then there is actually no parking anywhere near my job so i have to walk about 10 blocks or so and park in a terrible area anyway. I've only taken my bike to work maybe 5 times since I started in March, and I regret it every time. I also don't really even feel like riding after work since it's still a major trudge through traffic to get to any decent roads.

Anyways I just got a vacation home with my wife and in-laws in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania, with an absolutely massive garage surrounded by amazing roads. So at least this spring I'll actually get some good riding in since we will be there most weekends. And I'll finally have a real workshop.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Commuting sucks but I like the seat time.

This is what I need to remember about my new commute. Commuting on bike is still better than commuting by car.

Plus I have a whole winter of car commuting ahead of me to drill it into my head.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Did the 600 mile oil change and went for a ride.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
wish i could ride one without DCT

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

BlackLaser posted:

Looks sharp - you going to ride these tires until they're toast or are you planning on putting TKC80s or some other knobbies on soon?

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Jazzzzz posted:

Looks sharp - you going to ride these tires until they're toast or are you planning on putting TKC80s or some other knobbies on soon?

Probably keep them for a while. Woods are full of hunters that don't like people making noise right now. I might try the Metzler Karoo 3's. Also need some crash bars.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

BlackLaser posted:

Your thoughts on the bike at 600 plus miles now?

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

New tires, oil, chain clean, brake bleed & pads, and finding a solution to the luggage rack bolts that kept backing out.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Finally replaced the DR350 clutch plates. It took about three hours to do it, and I basically did everything twice because I thought I had lost a piece. Way easier than I thought it would be. Just in time for the dirt roads to all be closed for the season.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Got it safely home.

Left a failed final that I almost fell asleep during because I'm so burnt out from study, and my 690 wouldn't start. I'm so sick and worn out I dropped it trying to bump start. Since there was no way I had energy to try to bump it again, I went after the failsafes that were probably the culprit.

KTM won't let you start the bike with the clutch out in neutral, because #KTMthings<3, and the wire housing for the clutch switch was cracked and bent to the side. I was so fed up with everything I grabbed the wires and ripped it free. As soon as I twisted the wires it started right up.

But now it shuts off when downshifting to a stop? I don't even know anymore. I'll probably solder those wires back on tonight, and heatshrink them, until I can figure out what the hell part that is, or how to permanently bypass it.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Coydog posted:

Got it safely home.

Left a failed final that I almost fell asleep during because I'm so burnt out from study, and my 690 wouldn't start. I'm so sick and worn out I dropped it trying to bump start. Since there was no way I had energy to try to bump it again, I went after the failsafes that were probably the culprit.

KTM won't let you start the bike with the clutch out in neutral, because #KTMthings<3, and the wire housing for the clutch switch was cracked and bent to the side. I was so fed up with everything I grabbed the wires and ripped it free. As soon as I twisted the wires it started right up.

But now it shuts off when downshifting to a stop? I don't even know anymore. I'll probably solder those wires back on tonight, and heatshrink them, until I can figure out what the hell part that is, or how to permanently bypass it.

It shuts off when downshifting to a stop because, when the clutch is in, it switches to a neutral map for reasons (emissions?). People have had issues with this when installing clutch levers that don't have a protrusion that presses the switch. One hacky solution would be to solder a toggle switch to the wires.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
ugh.

When you say wouldn't start, did it turn over at all? The LiFePO4 battery I put in there has to be warmed up in the cold before it puts out full cranking amps - turn the key so the lights come on and turn on the grip heaters for a minute (you swapped to an LED headlight, right?) then hit the starter. Weather.com says it's almost 70F there today though so that shouldn't have been an issue.

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/lifepo4-lithium-iron-powersport-batteries-cold-weather-performance.html

Oddly enough that battery is in there because the factory Yuasa died in the middle of a road trip and I had to bump start that fucker twice by myself. The Yuasa was $50 more than the Shorai.

Bike should start in N with the clutch out, not sure what happened there. It will start in gear with the clutch in but the sidestand has to be up.

edit: also, see this SMJ thread: http://supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?102622-690-defeat-the-neutral-safety-switch

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 28, 2016

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

kenny powerzzz posted:

Your thoughts on the bike at 600 plus miles now?

I haven't done any real off road yet with the stock tires other than the graded roads through the woods. Mostly sand down here so I don't want to push my luck. Just country roads and a couple short blasts on the highway so far.

The engine is fun with a broad torque curve. It makes a really nice sound compared to my other 4 cyl bikes. More of a vtwin than parallel twin sound. I might even say it's a Honda engine with some character. My 4 cyl bikes always felt like the were dying to be revved and ridden aggressively. The AT is fun to ride around without a constant urgent feeling. It cruises at 80+ MPH with power to spare. Accelerates quickly up to 100+ for a pass on the highway. I don't feel it needs more power at all. Little to no vibrations and no hand numbness yet.

Comfort is shockingly good. The stock windshield blocks enough so my neck isn't sore but lets enough air around my head to keep me cool. The seat is the best stock seat I've sat on. There is a bit of heat coming through but it's minimal. I can vary leg position to get some air on them or protect them. The ability to easily stand up while riding is also great for comfort. I find myself going home because I'm done riding not because something is sore. Curious how it will be on a longer trip. So far 200 miles in a day with no soreness at all. Every other bike I've owned something always hurt after a long ride and maybe a bit the next day. Seat height is kind of tall for me, but works well in the low position. I'm 5'11" with more torso than legs.

Handling is better than I thought a 21" front would be. I'm a pretty mellow rider and I've already had the confidence to use most of the tire. The front really dives under braking, but I'm sure i can dial it back some with some adjustments.

The only two minor issues I have is with the tiny stock foot pegs, and no center stand as standard. This can be resolved with $200 for the stock Honda stand and whatever for some foot pegs.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Superleggera.

All the cool kids were doin' it!!

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

BlackLaser posted:

I haven't done any real off road yet with the stock tires other than the graded roads through the woods. Mostly sand down here so I don't want to push my luck. Just country roads and a couple short blasts on the highway so far.

The engine is fun with a broad torque curve. It makes a really nice sound compared to my other 4 cyl bikes. More of a vtwin than parallel twin sound. I might even say it's a Honda engine with some character. My 4 cyl bikes always felt like the were dying to be revved and ridden aggressively. The AT is fun to ride around without a constant urgent feeling. It cruises at 80+ MPH with power to spare. Accelerates quickly up to 100+ for a pass on the highway. I don't feel it needs more power at all. Little to no vibrations and no hand numbness yet.

Comfort is shockingly good. The stock windshield blocks enough so my neck isn't sore but lets enough air around my head to keep me cool. The seat is the best stock seat I've sat on. There is a bit of heat coming through but it's minimal. I can vary leg position to get some air on them or protect them. The ability to easily stand up while riding is also great for comfort. I find myself going home because I'm done riding not because something is sore. Curious how it will be on a longer trip. So far 200 miles in a day with no soreness at all. Every other bike I've owned something always hurt after a long ride and maybe a bit the next day. Seat height is kind of tall for me, but works well in the low position. I'm 5'11" with more torso than legs.

Handling is better than I thought a 21" front would be. I'm a pretty mellow rider and I've already had the confidence to use most of the tire. The front really dives under braking, but I'm sure i can dial it back some with some adjustments.

The only two minor issues I have is with the tiny stock foot pegs, and no center stand as standard. This can be resolved with $200 for the stock Honda stand and whatever for some foot pegs.

Nice, thank you. I want to replace my 990 adv with one maybe next summer and until I can get some seat time it's nice to hear real world info. I have large feet and I don't want to go without a center stand so those are both things I'd have to address. The 990 has tons of power but I really don't use it most of the time and it's so snatchy and raw I could use something a little more refined. I wonder what the weight difference is between the two?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

dat starter lug is getting reaaaaaal toasty. cleaned all power connections... what started as a 3v drop ended at under half a volt.

Definitely needs a yuasa, prooobably a new starter soonish as well as a stator. So much for a fet rectifier not killing them in 20k. spec is .8-1.5ohms. best leg was @ 1.8, worst at 2.2 ohm.

E: boring drz pics!

starter lug. crusty as all gently caress.

stator to adapter harness. I probably shouldnt leave this anywhere near the pcv vent hose. jfc.

added a 50A anderson power pole. Tried jumping the fucker off the bus..yeah it wasnt having it. if those batteries can start a 12.25L diesel engine but not a biek engine theres a problem in the wiring leading to the above party.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 30, 2016

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
took the baffle out of my yoshi rs :yeah:

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

kenny powerzzz posted:

Nice, thank you. I want to replace my 990 adv with one maybe next summer and until I can get some seat time it's nice to hear real world info. I have large feet and I don't want to go without a center stand so those are both things I'd have to address. The 990 has tons of power but I really don't use it most of the time and it's so snatchy and raw I could use something a little more refined. I wonder what the weight difference is between the two?

990 ADV is about 460 pounds depending on model. AT is 503 pounds non-DCT. It doesn't feel that heavy at all. I haven't had to pick it up yet though.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

BlackLaser posted:

990 ADV is about 460 pounds depending on model. AT is 503 pounds non-DCT. It doesn't feel that heavy at all. I haven't had to pick it up yet though.

Huh, I'd have though it was lighter. Thanks.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

High Protein posted:

It shuts off when downshifting to a stop because, when the clutch is in, it switches to a neutral map for reasons (emissions?). People have had issues with this when installing clutch levers that don't have a protrusion that presses the switch. One hacky solution would be to solder a toggle switch to the wires.

Good info! That explains why it felt a bit down on power (though all bikes feel slow when you think they are broken). Also means I could probably ride it if I twisted the wires to start, and un twisted them during riding.

As much as a toggle switch on the bars would give me a Furiosa War Rig style starting procedure, I'm gonna shoot for keeping it in top form by fixing it. (I'll remember that idea, though...)

Jazzzzz posted:

ugh.

When you say wouldn't start, did it turn over at all? The LiFePO4 battery I put in there has to be warmed up in the cold before it puts out full cranking amps - turn the key so the lights come on and turn on the grip heaters for a minute (you swapped to an LED headlight, right?) then hit the starter. Weather.com says it's almost 70F there today though so that shouldn't have been an issue.

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/lifepo4-lithium-iron-powersport-batteries-cold-weather-performance.html

Oddly enough that battery is in there because the factory Yuasa died in the middle of a road trip and I had to bump start that fucker twice by myself. The Yuasa was $50 more than the Shorai.

Bike should start in N with the clutch out, not sure what happened there. It will start in gear with the clutch in but the sidestand has to be up.

edit: also, see this SMJ thread: http://supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?102622-690-defeat-the-neutral-safety-switch

Ugh, I know. I feel bad about doing something as rash as ripping the wires out to cross them, but I was brain dead and just wanted to get home. In retrospect, I could have cut and stripped the wires with my leatherman for a cleaner similar result, or done something else. The bike does not start with the clutch out in nuetral, so maybe I should look into that.

The battery has been my prime suspect on the dash flicker and the stalling, but those turned out to be seperate things with seperate solutions. In fact, the bike fired right up on a chilly Monday morning after sitting for 8 days, so it's gotta be good. I'll remember the tip about the hand warmers on colder days to help it out. It runs counter to what I would intuitively do to a weak battery, so it's good info.

Like most everything you've done to this bike, the shorai battery is a sweet bit of kit that I am happy to have and not eager to get rid of soon. In fact, while on KTM Twins, I realized that the mirrors and adaptors I have aren't stock, but in fact for the 990SD. Every time I turn around I find a new bit of bling. I love it, thank you.
I won't have a second of spare time until finals end next week, but fortunately I already have a big maintenence/upgrade day planned. So I figured out what that clutch switch Part# was, and went on a KTMTwins shopping spree at the same time. :)

Work needed:
-Clean and fix connections in gauge cluster
-Oil and filter change (Already well into 4k miles :) )
-thermostat switch upgrade
-gas cap foam gasket
-Clutch Safety Switch
-Black dog 950SE fender light mount
-5600 lum 3" led floods + special switch
-KTM Swingarm spools
-Heat shield blacking + art

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I may be mis-remembering re: starting in neutral with the clutch out. Try it with the sidestand up and see what you get

edit: also, I wasn't "ugh"-ing because you yanked the clutch switch, I "ugh"d because I remember what a bitch trying to bump start that bike was. Twice in one day. Suuuuucked.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 1, 2016

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Coydog posted:

-KTM Swingarm spools

Do you mean spools as in things to jack up the bike, or crash protection? If crash protection, I can't recommend the KTM ones.

KTM used to offer more traditional solid spools, but the new ones are these hollow caps. They one that goes over the nut only barely slips over it, and on the hollow side of the axle it just sits on top of the swing arm. Also, you secure them by threading two bolts into a hollow rod, the rod, at least on the Duke, was shorter than the axle so it was difficult to ensure both bolts had enough purchase; when screwing in the second bolt, the rod would turn and go further up the first one, leaving little thread for the second one to grab onto. For the 701 I ordered spools from here. These are solid, go into/over the axle. Like the KTM ones, they come with a replacement axle nut.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Turns out my calipers had tiny fissure in them which leaked very little but let in air. New rebuilt set for 50 bucks and some nice Core lines and we're off and running. Picked up some crg bar end mirrors for cheap, will put those on this weekend.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jazzzzz posted:

edit: also, I wasn't "ugh"-ing because you yanked the clutch switch, I "ugh"d because I remember what a bitch trying to bump start that bike was. Twice in one day. Suuuuucked.

The WR250X felt as light as a bicycle with the clutch in, and bump starting would have been easy. The EX250 was like pushing through quicksand, with the clutch in. Hellish. The 690 is somewhere in the middle, but I'm shocked that a 300lb bike FEELS so heavy and unweildy.

High Protein posted:

Do you mean spools as in things to jack up the bike, or crash protection? If crash protection, I can't recommend the KTM ones.

KTM used to offer more traditional solid spools, but the new ones are these hollow caps. They one that goes over the nut only barely slips over it, and on the hollow side of the axle it just sits on top of the swing arm. Also, you secure them by threading two bolts into a hollow rod, the rod, at least on the Duke, was shorter than the axle so it was difficult to ensure both bolts had enough purchase; when screwing in the second bolt, the rod would turn and go further up the first one, leaving little thread for the second one to grab onto. For the 701 I ordered spools from here. These are solid, go into/over the axle. Like the KTM ones, they come with a replacement axle nut.

This is good info. I have the KTM crash bumpers installed by the previous owner. They look good, and like they will protect it, but I'll keep your recommendation in mind if I ever get serious about protection.

I mean swingarm spools to jack up the bike. :)

Mcqueen posted:

Turns out my calipers had tiny fissure in them which leaked very little but let in air. New rebuilt set for 50 bucks and some nice Core lines and we're off and running. Picked up some crg bar end mirrors for cheap, will put those on this weekend.

:aaaaa: That bike. That workshop. I can never get over how beautiful ZRX's are in that color scheme.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Mcqueen posted:

Your garage is sexy as gently caress.

Bikes not bad either.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mcqueen posted:

Turns out my calipers had tiny fissure in them which leaked very little but let in air.

:psyduck:

Infinitely glad my b12 has old gixxer 4 pots.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Chichevache posted:

Your garage is sexy as gently caress.

Bikes not bad either.

Just don't look behind the dryer where there is currently a puddle forming on the floor.

Hell yeah home ownership....

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
gently caress yeah home ownership, who wants to get the pine needles out of my gutters?

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Redid the wiring for my farkles today. The PO had grip warmers relayed off the brake lights, which is how you should wire in accessories. Me being lazy, I tapped directly off my battery when I added a 12v cigarette lighter socket to use my USB car charger with.

I reused the grip warmer relay and wired it up to a fuse box instead:

Look at this goddamn rat's nest.

So now all my accessories can easily tap into switched 12V. I also changed out my cigarette socket for some 12V-5V converters with USB ends to plug into this cheap FauxPro that I'm going to use as a dashcam.

https://www.amazon.com/Lightdow-LD4000-Sports-Action-Camera/dp/B00X9Y2NFY/

I wanted to mount the fuse box with some two sided foam tape, but the tray it's sitting in doesn't have a flat bottom so it won't stick very well. Not sure how else to mount it since I don't want to drill holes, so I guess I'll just leave it freeballing.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Epoxy some magnets in there.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It's been cold lately, and I don't ride far enough to/from work to charge the battery up. Hooked up the tender and I get a flashing red light. Ugh. Only does it on the bike battery, not the car's.
The clear solution was to buy a new battery wire the random car battery the previous tenants left in the garage in line to get a charge on it!

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

I rode it for the first time!

Still needs some work before I move on to aesthetic work, I either have to set/change the carb needles or change the carb diaphragms. We 'll find out over the holidays I guess.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
You look rad, Brad.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Please get some proper pants though, kneecaps and skin on your legs are nice to have. If you prefer Jeans there actually are reinforced denim pants that does not look like rear end available, many with quick removable knee pads.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Chichevache posted:

You look rad, Brad.

Thanks man, it felt pretty great!

Supradog posted:

Please get some proper pants though, kneecaps and skin on your legs are nice to have. If you prefer Jeans there actually are reinforced denim pants that does not look like rear end available, many with quick removable knee pads.

Thanks, it goes without saying I'll be upgrading my safety gear, including a decent helmet (mandatory here anyway), pants and better armor pads for the jacket which is a hand me down but will do for now. In this case it was just a couple rides around the block and around my friend's building's parking space, just to see how/if it runs and to get a feel of it. The bike isn't really roadworthy yet.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sweet ride, those are perfect for a cafe project.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Grip warmers. Missed them so much since I got the new bike. Forgot how nice they are, even on days that aren't "cold" just to have on the low setting.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Sweet ride, those are perfect for a cafe project.

I know we joke around here, but you've gone too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
New exhaust, ECU reflash on the hyper :v: