Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

seravid posted:

Assuming prod mods everywhere and one row of speed beacons per row of smelters (+170% speed), you'll need around 700 smelters (450 iron, 250 copper).

Easy peasy, I'll report back with pictures once I can!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Any recommended mods and/or modsets?

Anyone?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Chakan posted:

Easy peasy, I'll report back with pictures once I can!

Good news! I forgot to take into account the four prod mods on the silo. Correct number of smelters (still with +170% speed) is 327 for iron and 158 for copper. You should probably round up to give yourself some breathing room.

edit:

Quality of life: FARL, YARM, Rail tanker, Long reach, Upgrade planner, Foreman, Auto deconstruct, Larger inventory, Late upgrades.

Good stuff: RSO (and radarplus for it), FLAN, Reactors, Atomic locos, Flow Control, some mod to create water.

seravid fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 27, 2016

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Not at home so I can't give you names, but everything by got lag, something to make your underground pipes and belts longer, and the mod that make concrete take iron rods instead of iron ore. Those are all the quality of life mods that I use.

Also Robot army if you want biters in your game, but don't really like to go and fight them. As a note the robots are OP as gently caress and will complete rune any balance in the combat side of the game. So don't use if you like dealing for biters your self.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

emoji posted:

Drop items on death, with items flagged to autopickup like alien cum.

Add to control.lua inside savefile. Good for multiplayer server saves, and doesn't disable achievements (because it's not an active console command and it's in the savefile instead of a mod).

Lua code:
script.on_event(defines.events.on_pre_player_died, function(event)

local player = game.players[event.player_index]
  local inventories = {"quickbar","main","guns","ammo","armor","tools","trash"}

for i=1,#inventories do
    local inventory = player.get_inventory(defines.inventory["player_"..inventories[i]])
    while next(inventory.get_contents()) ~= nil do
      for item,qty in pairs(inventory.get_contents()) do
        local items = inventory.find_item_stack(item)
        player.surface.spill_item_stack(player.position, items, true)
        inventory.remove(item)
      end
    end
  end

end)
e: incorporated Loren1350's suggestion

Packaged this as a mod. Source on github. If someone wants to kill themselves inside a factorissimo let me know how it goes.

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/heptal/corpserun

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The modding is flexible enough you can add more as you go with no troubles. So the general recommendation is play until you think "I wish the game worked more like this" and then find the mod that does that.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Get Honk if you play with trains, you'll still probably get run over occasionally but it helps a hell of a lot.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Get Honk anyway, the background din of trains sounding their horns constantly adds a lot of flavor to your industrial hellscape.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Kinetica posted:

Get Honk if you play with trains, you'll still probably get run over occasionally but it helps a hell of a lot.
Yes, to truly avoid getting run over you'll need to place more hazard concrete

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Gonna make an OSHA mod so you can research and craft proper PPE.

Mr. Bill
Jan 18, 2007
Bourgeoisie Pig
Ngl guardrails would be kinda useful

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Is there a mod where electricity is a liquid?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That sounds like the most painful thing ever.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

ShadowHawk posted:

It would be great that plus some sort of electric boiler could result in a perpetual motion machine/generator.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ShadowHawk posted:

Someone linked one a few months ago, not sure it survived version changes.

Electricity is enough like a liquid except when it's not so it really rubbed me the wrong way even if I want some extra thought put into electricity in a way I can't suggest or articulate well.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ShadowHawk posted:

I had no idea I needed this until this post.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

zedprime posted:

Someone linked one a few months ago, not sure it survived version changes.

Electricity is enough like a liquid except when it's not so it really rubbed me the wrong way even if I want some extra thought put into electricity in a way I can't suggest or articulate well.

That was me. I tried it and it was pretty awkward to play with plus it wasn't really finished. It hasn't been updated for 0.14

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Simdezimon/flownetwork

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
It would be kinda cool if there were turrets that shot electricity, but I don't know if there's any real good way to implement.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Kinetica posted:

It would be kinda cool if there were turrets that shot electricity, but I don't know if there's any real good way to implement.

It never occurred to me before just how much I want a tesla coil mod and a tesla gun in Factorio. There's just something so satisfying about the charge up noise and the discharge.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Kinetica posted:

Something like this one? I'm not sure how good it is, though, I haven't really played much with it.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I'd like them to implement, get this, electric fences. Common technology that even the most backwoods toothless hick is comfortable with. Just crank them up to Jurassic Park levels.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

scuba school sucks posted:

I'd like them to implement, get this, electric fences. Common technology that even the most backwoods toothless hick is comfortable with. Just crank them up to Jurassic Park levels.

That way when the Behemoth Biters attack, you can brown out entire sections of your factory? :downs:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

XkyRauh posted:

That way when the Behemoth Biters attack, you can brown out entire sections of your factory? :downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRyyJbkVtws

Hoo! That was a big mama!

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Robot army trip report: the AI is kinda finicky and annoying, but when it works it does a great job of dealing with biters - terminator bots (modular armor + 10 proc units + 2 laser turrets) in groups of 25 can clear out a dozen chunks of evolution 1 biters, with default density. They'd probably eat poo poo on deathworlds, though.

e: they have the pathing of SC1 dragoons though

Zerg Mans fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 30, 2016

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

How many T3 speed/prod modules does a typical 1RPM beaconed base use? I'm sitting on 1.5k of each right now.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I didn't like Robot Army. Big performance drop and the robots needed too much babysitting.

Regarding modules: don't know about typical, but I've used around 15k modules (roughly 1:1 between speed and productivity).

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

seravid posted:

I didn't like Robot Army. Big performance drop and the robots needed too much babysitting.

Regarding modules: don't know about typical, but I've used around 15k modules (roughly 1:1 between speed and productivity).

I liked being able to set up assemblers for about 250 terminators, and then walk away and have a 5000 tile swath be clean. Going in with flamethrower and destroyer drones is just too laggy for me.

Also does that 15k figure include beaconing oil? Related question - is it better to put prod or speed modules in a 0.1 oil? Common convention says productivity, but I wonder it would be better to have nothing but speed on it and the beacons since the 0.1 value won't ever run out

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Definitely speed. Not sure you can use prods in pump jacks anyway.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I use Productivity-3's early in a pumpjacks life, that way you get comparable oil out but with the benefit of slower depletion, so more oil overall. Once theyre down to 0.1/s i use pure speed.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

zegermans posted:

Also does that 15k figure include beaconing oil? Related question - is it better to put prod or speed modules in a 0.1 oil? Common convention says productivity, but I wonder it would be better to have nothing but speed on it and the beacons since the 0.1 value won't ever run out

It includes everything but, last time I played, some of my pumps still had a significant output, so I have nowhere near as many pumps as a fully depleted setup would. Assuming 0.1/s across the board and, say, 8 beacons per pump, I'd need another 10k modules. No big deal, but finding 500 new oil patches would be.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Ion cannons own for cleaning out bases, and for keeping those drat things away from the walls. The green ones really soak up damage.

For those who've done mega bases on RSO, how do you deal with raw materials? I'm currently using a train station with 10 stations-4 copper, 4 iron, 4 oil, 1stone and 1 coal. I've got it set up so each station has a waiting area, so I don't have a huge line to get to the individual station and when there are delays it only affects the one station as opposed to locking everything down. I'm seeing my trains mostly get slowed down when they are emptied and head back to the network. All of the tracks here merge into three lanes, then two, then one lane to return to the rest of the network and the slowdown really kicks in during the final merge.

I was thinking I could make the station block have 2 return lanes until it reaches the main 4 way splitter, but that might force the problem to that junction making things even worse. I'm not seeing deadlocks due to signals, I've finally gotten those figured out. My next thought was moving the various plate production to sub bases, but that might actually make things worse because of the production modules on the electric smelters and the plates still need to get to the base. If I were to make three station groups at different parts of the base I would still have the problem of merging back into the railway, but in a different spot. I'm not sure what's the best way to fix this.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Is the flamethrower gun as effective in clearing forests as the turrets? I'm using turret to clear enemy forests, but it's a hassle setting up the assembly station for oil barrels every time.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Selklubber posted:

Is the flamethrower gun as effective in clearing forests as the turrets? I'm using turret to clear enemy forests, but it's a hassle setting up the assembly station for oil barrels every time.

I find it effective. It's not automated like the turret but it's portable and the fuel situation isn't burdensome.

Why don't you give it a try? If you're making turrets, you are probably not too far away from making a gun, which I think is lower in the tech tree. There's no shortage of forests and biters to try it on. That said, if it feels less effective, you're probably gaining more from performing turret creep than the actual flaming/guns/damage portion.

crazysim fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 31, 2016

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Selklubber posted:

Poison capsules or grenades are a hundred times faster and more effective at clearing forests than fire

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

super fart shooter posted:

Poison capsules or grenades are a hundred times faster and more effective at clearing forests than fire

Not nearly as cool, though.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

concise posted:

Not nearly as cool, though.

And, fire will spread throughout the forest cluster on its own too

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Kinetica posted:

And, fire will spread throughout the forest cluster on its own too

But it leaves burned out trees behind that have to be cleared separately. I do find it a lot more fun to torch forests regardless.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
If you start a big enough forest fire it can cause pollution on it's own.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Yeah, using the flamethrower and setting poo poo on fire makes a decent chunk of pollution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Do poison capsules cause pollution?