Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Abeula loses election, people go nuts. News at never, 4 years will suck.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Trump's kind of a garbage ape

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Symbolic Butt posted:

He sounded very smug in the video about not going to watch that movie.

IIRC he doesn't mention anything about the Ghostbusters being girls this time and, given the current context on the internet, it feels very disingenuous. Did anyone ever press him about it?

With that said, I don't (want to) think the guy is a bad person, but it's still a dumb video.

He actually did a video about the history of Ghostbusters 3, he's basically been waiting for and following a Ghostbusters 3 that he just doesn't want to be disappointed once it fails to meet expectations. He would have actually been all for them being a new generation that the originals have trained:

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

There's something sad about there not even being enough to pad out into a full Plinkett review.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I would be ok with the Plinkett reviews becoming things of the past entirely. Mike is basically the actually funny parts of Plinkett anyway (cynical, deeply depressed, misanthropic). It's more fun to hear the group talk out their patented method of testing Star Wars against all the basic rules of screenwriting and film production.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jack Gladney posted:

I would be ok with the Plinkett reviews becoming things of the past entirely.

It really sounds like they wanna be done with them too any time they get to talking about them, it's practically just a "Okay there, shut up" measure for a chunk of their fanbase now.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

It really sounds like they wanna be done with them too any time they get to talking about them, it's practically just a "Okay there, shut up" measure for a chunk of their fanbase now.

I get the impression that they feel they can't. Their entire enterprise was birthed by long videos that boil down to "Not My Star Wars"*, maybe their metrics say that they need to continue them?

* Linking to the iconic gif within five posts...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Guys guys guys! Let's take a cue from SFDebris' Christmas episode and bond over the true meaning of Christmas: That Gene Rodenberry was kind of an rear end in a top hat. Man took making GBS threads on Walter Koenig into an art form.

I watched Chaos On The Bridge, the documentary by William Shatner examining the disaster that was TNG's first three seasons, and Gene's role in nearly killing Star Trek after wresting control back from Harve Bennett and Nicholas Meyer's competent stewardship during the Motion Picture Era. It was a truly fascinating look at just what a crazy, paranoid, egotistical rear end in a top hat Roddenberry had degenerated into by the time TNG got off the ground and how much he made the lives of everyone around him miserable just because he wanted to stick it to Bennett and Meyer and prove that there was no real Star Trek without Gene Roddenberry, when really he proved the inverse.

If you get the chance to catch it, it's a hell of a fun watch and basically backs up every last thing Chuck has said for years about Gene being lunatic visionary.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

I get the impression that they feel they can't. Their entire enterprise was birthed by long videos that boil down to "Not My Star Wars"*, maybe their metrics say that they need to continue them?

shut the gently caress up misterbibs

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Symbolic Butt posted:

He sounded very smug in the video about not going to watch that movie.

IIRC he doesn't mention anything about the Ghostbusters being girls this time and, given the current context on the internet, it feels very disingenuous. Did anyone ever press him about it?

With that said, I don't (want to) think the guy is a bad person, but it's still a dumb video.

No he didn't.

I'm not sure how you got any negative tone out of it at all, but sure

The Vosgian Beast posted:

We need to harshly condemn the liberals who think cruelly verbally attacking Ivanka on that plane was okay, and it's completely unfair to assume that all Trump supporters are deplorable racists just for voting for Trump.

What are you? How do you function?

People are asking you to explain yourself and you either link to some weird blog site ( I still don't know who that person is or why you linked it) or you start spewing out stuff about politics that has literally nothing to do with what's being discussed. Either explain yourself or don't post, because unless you enjoying spewing nonsense out on a whim, you are literally contributing nothing to the discussion other than some weird passive aggressive insults that only serve to make you look like an rear end in a top hat.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Oh no he's Bibsing all over the carpet. It's going to take forever to get that stain out.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

nine-gear crow posted:

I watched Chaos On The Bridge, the documentary by William Shatner examining the disaster that was TNG's first three seasons, and Gene's role in nearly killing Star Trek after wresting control back from Harve Bennett and Nicholas Meyer's competent stewardship during the Motion Picture Era. It was a truly fascinating look at just what a crazy, paranoid, egotistical rear end in a top hat Roddenberry had degenerated into by the time TNG got off the ground and how much he made the lives of everyone around him miserable just because he wanted to stick it to Bennett and Meyer and prove that there was no real Star Trek without Gene Roddenberry, when really he proved the inverse.

If you get the chance to catch it, it's a hell of a fun watch and basically backs up every last thing Chuck has said for years about Gene being lunatic visionary.

Sorry, unable to watch it. Vimeo really hates us Canadians. :canada:

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Annointed posted:

Jim made a new poo poo games of year vid.

Steam won handedly.

Video posted a few posts up, on the same page :cmon:

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

I liked Chaos on the Bridge but it's really misleading. Gene didn't really degenerate except physically due to age and serial drug use.

Gene had always been like that, back when he was a beat cop in LA getting the odd script accepted for a western he would claim to anyone who he was both head writer for the show, and the personal protégé of the Police Commissioner, and took credit for the work of colleague's. By TOS he was already actively screwing over the cast and fellow crew members. The most well known story was the time Gene wrote lyrics for the opening song that he never intended to use, he wrote them because according to the contract he would get some of the royalties for the theme song screwing over the actual composer Alex Courage. He was also a serial lech, a

If anything the growth of his fame by the time TNG was becoming a thing meant he could be even more brazen than before. You'd probably enjoy the biography
Gene Roddenberry: The Myth and the Man Behind "Star Trek"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

VolticSurge posted:

Sorry, unable to watch it. Vimeo really hates us Canadians. :canada:

I've caught it on both HBO Canada and Netflix. It ain't too hard to find because thanks to our weird Canadian content laws, it is pretty much guaranteed to be in circulation due to Shatner's name being attached to the project.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Baka-nin posted:

I liked Chaos on the Bridge but it's really misleading. Gene didn't really degenerate except physically due to age and serial drug use.

Gene had always been like that, back when he was a beat cop in LA getting the odd script accepted for a western he would claim to anyone who he was both head writer for the show, and the personal protégé of the Police Commissioner, and took credit for the work of colleague's. By TOS he was already actively screwing over the cast and fellow crew members. The most well known story was the time Gene wrote lyrics for the opening song that he never intended to use, he wrote them because according to the contract he would get some of the royalties for the theme song screwing over the actual composer Alex Courage. He was also a serial lech, a

If anything the growth of his fame by the time TNG was becoming a thing meant he could be even more brazen than before. You'd probably enjoy the biography
Gene Roddenberry: The Myth and the Man Behind "Star Trek"

Fade In, the unpublished memoir on the making and subsequent failure of Star Trek: Insurrection by Michael Piller is also a good read because (among other very introspective things) he spends three solid pages at the start of the book just dunking on Roddenberry and how hard he was to write for before coming to the realization that by the end of his tenure on Trek he had functionally became Roddenberry in essence, to his horror.

It's out there in PDF format for anyone to grab now. I won't link it directly because of :filez: but it was published online by Piller's widow after he passed away, so anyone who goes looking for it should be able to find it very easily anyway.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Jay is actually the best part of Red Media. Sorry.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

Excuse me, I believe you mean Susan. Thank you. :colbert:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

Jay, Jack, Josh, and everyone else with a J name are the bright lights of Best Of The Worst that make Mike and Rich bearable.

Also the Canadians.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I'm not sure why people went after Rolfe considering there was a tidal wave of baby Men wetting themselves over Ghostbusters in a far more extreme fashion. I think a lot of people took issue with Rolfe having that Alpha Omega Sin guy on a previous video, who is a crazy Gamergater making videos about the "Feminist Conspiracy", and then equated the new Ghostbusters video as a confirmation of Rolfe himself having an unpleasant world-view even if the video itself was fairly mild, especially in comparison to your standard internet "rant" about Ghostbusters.

Either way, the mob mentality where it was felt that it was fair game to harass and go after his family for such a non-video or any video (which didn't mention Ghostbusters as women as a negative), was a lovely thing to do and everyone involved should be deeply ashamed.

That said; the whole idea that Sony just made up or encouraged the misogynistic backlash to Ghostbusters in order to deflect criticism of their film is just complete and utter bullshit; and Red Letter Media's video to that effect was poorly justified, indulgent and childish nonsense. It was the lunatic MRA internet fringe that poisoned the well of discussion around Ghostbusters and videogames and what have you, not the people who are fighting for a fair representation in media, and RLM's argument against diversity in their Force Awakens video was incoherent and deeply insecure "But what about the white men" whining which should be far below them, or anyone.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
why are you posting very nuanced and intelligent stuff in this thread dude this place is the domain of idiots

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Karloff posted:

I'm not sure why people went after Rolfe considering there was a tidal wave of baby Men wetting themselves over Ghostbusters in a far more extreme fashion. I think a lot of people took issue with Rolfe having that Alpha Omega Sin guy on a previous video, who is a crazy Gamergater making videos about the "Feminist Conspiracy", and then equated the new Ghostbusters video as a confirmation of Rolfe himself having an unpleasant world-view even if the video itself was fairly mild, especially in comparison to your standard internet "rant" about Ghostbusters.

Yeah, at most it was an unfortunate coincidence, even if the general consensus about a future ghostbusters movie that wasn't outright a reboot or a change wouldn't be a good idea. ("Ok guys, this time New York City forgot about a major supernatural attack for the 4th time! And Peter Venkman once again had a connection with another girlfriend who happens to be connected to yet another supernatural evil. Huuuh the Architect is back?")

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Testekill posted:

He actually did a video about the history of Ghostbusters 3, he's basically been waiting for and following a Ghostbusters 3 that he just doesn't want to be disappointed once it fails to meet expectations. He would have actually been all for them being a new generation that the originals have trained:

Yeah I remember seeing those and liking them. I just don't see why he needed to make another video just to declare his intention of not watching the new movie. It does feel like a smug clickbait done in the wrong time.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Karloff posted:

Him being mild normal guy is probably what made him such an attractive target in the first place.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Asuron posted:

What are you? How do you function?

People are asking you to explain yourself and you either link to some weird blog site ( I still don't know who that person is or why you linked it) or you start spewing out stuff about politics that has literally nothing to do with what's being discussed. Either explain yourself or don't post, because unless you enjoying spewing nonsense out on a whim, you are literally contributing nothing to the discussion other than some weird passive aggressive insults that only serve to make you look like an rear end in a top hat.

Dude really wants to be Lottery of Babylon

Symbolic Butt posted:

Yeah I remember seeing those and liking them. I just don't see why he needed to make another video just to declare his intention of not watching the new movie. It does feel like a smug clickbait done in the wrong time.

I assumed he was getting deluged with "HEY WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO TALK ABOUT THE NEW MOVIE???" and wanted it to stop. That seems to be the way of stuff when you've demonstrated you have interest in a thing. Much like how well-meaning relatives interpret an interest in reading some comics with an interest in comics in general, and then you get piles of random yard sale crap for Christmas.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Puppy Time posted:

I assumed he was getting deluged with "HEY WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO TALK ABOUT THE NEW MOVIE???" and wanted it to stop.

It's exactly this, he even says that's the reason in the video. If he hadn't made anything, he'd still be getting "TALK ABOUT NEW GHOSTBUSTERS" requests every day.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
man the conversation surrounding that movie was goddamn toxic from all sides, I even got some poo poo from weirdo goons and I was saying pretty uncontroversial poo poo

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

cat doter posted:

man the conversation surrounding that movie was goddamn toxic from all sides, I even got some poo poo from weirdo goons and I was saying pretty uncontroversial poo poo

Agreed, especially considering how mediocre and and forgettable the movie itself ended up being.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I really wish nerds would stop conflating the consumption of a product with an identity.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah the worst thing about Ghostbusters was that there was all this pomp and circumstance over a movie that won't make anyone's top 10 or bottom 10 lists if they've seen enough films this year.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

e X posted:

I really wish nerds would stop conflating the consumption of a product with an identity.

By doing so, they would cease to be nerds.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

If you want a more detailed analysis of GB2016 than the standard “Paul Feig ruined my childhood”, you should check out Ralphthemoviemaker’s review of it. Yeah, I know the video has a stupid clickbait title but what he has to say makes a lot of sense, especially the part about how the talents of so many great performers were wasted by forcing them to improvise rather than giving them a solid, well-written script to work with.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 27, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's ironic that Paul Feig got his start perfectly recreating nerd childhoods on Freaks and Geeks.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jack Gladney posted:

It's ironic that Paul Feig got his start perfectly recreating nerd childhoods on Freaks and Geeks.

Never watched it, is it about slowly becoming a shut-in depressed that the world at large is frequently poo poo, starting to not like most people/near everyone around you, then having a lot of suicidal thoughts all throughout teen years?

That was basically 'Gay nerd childhood into adolescence' for me. :unsmith:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 28, 2016

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

PassTheRemote posted:

Video posted a few posts up, on the same page :cmon:
A repeat post was still miles better than the current conversation. But really steam is really testing the limits of goodwill when they aren't the only online discount storefront on the internet marketplace.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Aaaaaand the developer of the Steam game on the list claims they've reported the video for "defamation". At this point I would have been more surprised if the hadn't. :allears:

Edit: I wonder if it's because he insulted their game or because he called them homophobic pricks. "All we did is say we don't support lgbt people, geez!"

Kay Kessler fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 28, 2016

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Seriously, watch Freaks and Geeks.

I largely only observed the Ghostbusters "controversy" from afar, and I'm not a fan of AVGN. I understand the need to keep the "bro" wing of nerdom in check, and the urge not legitimize the misogyny that was obviously riding on the reboot's backlash. I got the impression that Rolfe only highlighted the so-called legitimate reasons people aren't thrilled by the movie, without decisively denouncing the nasty sexist shitstorm. I think doing the latter is way more important, because a movie is just a movie.

As silly as it sounds, I'm still a huge fan of RLM, but I'm getting really frustrated at Mike and Jay's weird take on both the Chinese audience and whitewashing.

I'm just confused* why a huge fraction of nerdom is able to understand that Hollywood (deservedly) should be hated as a cynical, out-of-touch, culture that's only concerned with the bottom line; but are reluctant to use its substantial record of modern racism as further fuel to demonize them. Like toothless gestures of "diversity" are painted cynically by these geeks, but Hollywood's actual racism is not. Like, the people who run Hollywood are the One Percent. And the One Percent is racist as hell.

*I'm actually not confused. I'm being rhetorical.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 28, 2016

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kay Kessler posted:

Aaaaaand the developer of the Steam game on the list claims they've reported the video for "defamation". At this point I would have been more surprised if the hadn't. :allears:

Well hey why not, it's worked out real well for everyone else that went after him :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I know I mentioned it earlier but I think that Greenlight as a whole, or maybe Steam and Early Access, should just have gotten the nomination for shittiest game of the year. Its stretching the meaning and yeah, there's good stuff in there, but there's such a monumental and ever growing pile of, in Sterling's own words, "toys full of cum" that are stocking the shelves that it's getting absurd.

• Locked thread