Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Contra 3 is the one I come back to most often - it has enough randomness on the harder difficulties that makes it really exciting to clear every so often, whereas Hard Corps is more rote and the variety comes from playing as different characters and taking different routes and so on.

Shattered Soldier's "learn the game or gently caress off" design is satisfying but it's not something I can really pick up and play so I don't return to it with the same frequency.

Really, they're all fine with the exception of the PSX games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Contra 3 is the one I come back to most often

It's 100% my favorite contra, such a great game

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RichterIX posted:

Hard Corps is so loving good. I have a huge boner for Konami's "historically Nintendo games but for Genesis!" phase. Well, I don't know if two games is enough for a phase, but they are cool anyway for how Genesis-y they are compared to the contemporary Nintendo games in those series.

I kept mixing Hard Corps up with Contra Force which is a bad problem.

I really like Hard Corps a lot, but that whole "Crank the US difficulty level up to insane" phase that Contra was going through at the time undermines it. You have to be willing to accept that it is brutally hard when you play it.

I think Alien Wars is the best overall (especially when you play it on hard difficulty which makes the bosses more interesting) and the original is still really good. The PS2 games are surprisingly great (another game I finally finished last week there; look, I was just going down the list of stuff installed on my PS3 and playing things that I was half way finished with).

Super C feels kind of like left overs but it still plays well. The PS1 games are right out.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Really, they didn't crank up the Hard Corps difficulty since it was made for the US market first. The Japanese changes were because they thought it'd be too difficult to Japanese players.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
So did they change all human sprites to robots in Probotector because.. Hitler?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Elliotw2 posted:

Really, they didn't crank up the Hard Corps difficulty since it was made for the US market first. The Japanese changes were because they thought it'd be too difficult to Japanese players.

I've heard this before but I'm not so sure... Hard Corps seems like it's obviously skewing towards a Japanese audience, they pretty much ditched the old aesthetic and went full Appleseed instead.

EDIT: from this interview http://shmuplations.com/contrahc/

"Lately, we’ve been receiving a lot of letters complaining that “Konami is only making games for the Western market now!” So I want to set the record straight here: no matter what anyone says, I’m telling you now that this game is a Contra for the Japanese Megadrive, made with all the power we can muster! Take that!"

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

falz posted:

So did they change all human sprites to robots in Probotector because.. Hitler?

I mean yes, if you wanna be lazy.

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.
Bought a Sega Genesis 2/SegaCD 2/32x combo from a local seller, with a controller, a joystick and 2 games, one of those is a CIB Toughman contest for the 32x. The SegaCD could not read discs, and made loud clicking noises. The other genesis game and the controller only managed to work after I cleaned them thoroughly. The seller took the console back, told me he cleaned the SegaCD and it worked again.

The combo was missing the 32x cable. Purchased online a 32x patch cable, but had to cut the 5v pin myself on both ends because the cable was not the one from Sega. Took me a while to find small enough nail clipper to make the cut on both ends. Tested for a while and everything seemed to work great, except now the AC Adapter for the Sega CD makes a buzzing sound whenever it is connected to the outlet.

Also, the SegaCD makes a loud clicking noise every once in a while, regardless of it being turned on, off or disconnected from the AC Adapter. It has done it three times while I type this. Is it haunted? It is probably going to be easier to find a priest to exorcise the console than finding another original AC adapter in my country or another Sega CD.

I purchased the SCART to component transcoder mentioned a few pages ago, the one with no pots. Mine only displays a pink heavily distorted image on my Sony CRT and no image at all with my brother's LG TV that can identify 240i or my old Sony Bravia. The seller tells me the device may not be getting enough power, told me to get a multimeter. Now I'm just waiting for further instructions from him. Never had this much bad luck buying retro game stuff.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Monitor Burn posted:

Does an NES game that really wants to have a Genesis soundtrack count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZUC49bv2Po

This is cool as hell

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

RichterIX posted:

This is cool as hell

The soundtrack was recently released on vinyl, if that's your thing: https://www.shiptoshoremedia.com/store/albums/lagrange-point

The game itself is kinda lame, honestly, but there's no denying the tunes.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Topolino posted:

Also, the SegaCD makes a loud clicking noise every once in a while, regardless of it being turned on, off or disconnected from the AC Adapter. It has done it three times while I type this. Is it haunted? It is probably going to be easier to find a priest to exorcise the console than finding another original AC adapter in my country or another Sega CD.

The clicking on a Sega CD model 2 is most likely just a noisy focus motor, though it could be dying and need replaced eventually. The Sega CD PSU humming is also pretty normal just due to the age of the coils, and if you want to replace it you can order a Sega Trio AC adapter or just find a Sega 1602 adapter.

I also have no idea what you mean by clipping the 32x patch cable, since any that fits into the socket should work. It's not a generic design or anything.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

does anyone know what would cause an "unclean" looking image coming from SCART RGB off a CDX? I mean like faint wavy, interference looking patterns on the screen

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That sounds like a sync issue, probably due to composite video. A sync stripper (or an RGB cable with one built in) should clear it up.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

KozmoNaut posted:

That sounds like a sync issue, probably due to composite video. A sync stripper (or an RGB cable with one built in) should clear it up.

I have an issue with my cheap scart-hdmi upscaler always displaying just the composite video when my SNES is hooked up. Would this fix that? Could I just swap the sync pin in the cable to svideo luma instead? It's the only system I've had that issue with.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Contra 3's top down levels just turn me off so much! Anyone play Xexyz? That cool game had a password I think that let you turn off the horizontal scrolling levels. If that was a end game unlockable in Contra 3, turn off to down, I'd be so happy.

And Hard Corps is just the best boss design in a video game that's not a shooter. Every encounter is unique and exciting and lasts just long enough before it gets boring.

I've heard this before but I'm not so sure... Hard Corps seems like it's obviously skewing towards a Japanese audience, they pretty much ditched the old aesthetic and went full Appleseed instead.

EDIT: from this interview http://shmuplations.com/contrahc/

"Lately, we’ve been receiving a lot of letters complaining that “Konami is only making games for the Western market now!” So I want to set the record straight here: no matter what anyone says, I’m telling you now that this game is a Contra for the Japanese Megadrive, made with all the power we can muster! Take that!"

It's hard to say one way or the other if "this was meant for these guys" but Konami definitely tried to "Japanese it up" by getting Yasuomi Umetsu to design the characters and box art. He wasn't big yet but still worked on some seminal 80s and early 90s cyberpunk anime and Hard Corps is cyberpunk as gently caress.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

RodShaft posted:

I have an issue with my cheap scart-hdmi upscaler always displaying just the composite video when my SNES is hooked up. Would this fix that? Could I just swap the sync pin in the cable to svideo luma instead? It's the only system I've had that issue with.

Yeah, you should be able to use sync on luma instead, it should work for all consoles that output S-Video and RGB at the same time.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

al-azad posted:

Contra 3's top down levels just turn me off so much!

The gba release replaces these levels, although its music quality is total garbage.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Topolino posted:

Haunted Sega CD

The clicking might be the focus mechanism, as stated, but that should not be happening while the system is off. Is the light coming on too? There could be a transistor issue, but I really doubt it.

For the buzzing power supply, I've been testing this with my PC Engine and Sega CD with success so far. Doesn't get as hot, and no loud buzzing to speak of (unlike the popular Velleman adapter, in my experience). It's also UL-listed, so it most likely won't burn your house down.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DTI9CJ4/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: It's also worth noting that I've heard the plastic cases shifting as the systems got warm. Maybe that could be what you heard.

azurite fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 27, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

univbee posted:

The gba release replaces these levels, although its music quality is total garbage.

I seriously didn't know there was a GBA release. That's a platform I wouldn't mind revisiting in a few years.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

al-azad posted:

I seriously didn't know there was a GBA release. That's a platform I wouldn't mind revisiting in a few years.

I think it's called Contra Advance or some such.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The GBA version is called Contra Advance: Alien Wars EX (or Contra Hard Spirits in Japan) and it sucks - it's a crappy port of Contra 3 that removed any actions that didn't map nicely to the GBA button layout (so no carrying two guns and no bombs) and replaces the top-down stages with levels inelegantly cut/pasted from Hard Corps. It plays poorly, it sounds bad, it ruins two cool games.

You can buy it on Wii U VC if you're really curious.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

d0s posted:

does anyone know what would cause an "unclean" looking image coming from SCART RGB off a CDX? I mean like faint wavy, interference looking patterns on the screen

Are you using one of those SCART to component boxes? I've had luck swapping power bricks on mine when I had rippling. Output from my model 2 Genny has never been completely perfect, though.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nintendo's decision to not put X and Y buttons on the GBA will always baffle me.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sure but the same questions apply: who's going to fund it? where are the artists going to come from? what is the audience for this game? etc

It doesn't happen because it's hard and expensive to do and the audience for it is limited, not just in the sense that there aren't may people who care about high-quality traditional pixel art but there are lots of people who can't tell good pixel art from bad or simply don't care for any of it at all.

Rushed "retro pixel art" graphics still look terrible to most people. And you often need to put in extra work/have extra people hired to have good looking pixel art instead of looking like a high school kid's sprite comic from 2003. There's not really savings in deciding to do "retro" graphics, if anything it can cost more and take more time.

Hell plenty of amateur and like kickstarter game projects have fallen through because people mistakenly assumed "oh if I just make this look retro it'll be cheap/easy".

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, you should be able to use sync on luma instead, it should work for all consoles that output S-Video and RGB at the same time.

Yeah. I'll just do it in that one cable since its the only one causing issues. Unless there's a super cheap c sync stripper I can just throw on there. Cheap pieces to build one, but I don't have the time.

Can someone throw Sesame Street: Countdown(nes) on their Everdrive 64? The voices break up bad on mine and I just want to know if it's an issue on my end or just poor emulation.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
...this is just a ploy to get some poor sap to play Sesame Street Countdown, isn't it?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Speaking of cool beatemups I'm still waiting for a remake of Cyborg Justice, cmon videogames get it together

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Caitlin posted:

...this is just a ploy to get some poor sap to play Sesame Street Countdown, isn't it?

No actually. I have a 4 year old that loves those games, and the 64 is hooked up upstairs so I was like, cool kill some time, but the sound was so choppy it didn't say the numbers and the count only had one "ah" in his laugh. I chalked it up to bad emulation, but then I was playing NAMCO Museum and the sound was choppy for Pole Position and Dig Dug. Every other game seemed fine though.

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.

Elliotw2 posted:

The clicking on a Sega CD model 2 is most likely just a noisy focus motor, though it could be dying and need replaced eventually. The Sega CD PSU humming is also pretty normal just due to the age of the coils, and if you want to replace it you can order a Sega Trio AC adapter or just find a Sega 1602 adapter.

I also have no idea what you mean by clipping the 32x patch cable, since any that fits into the socket should work. It's not a generic design or anything.

The generic patch cable I purchased had all of the pins, including the +5VDC. As a result, the 32x could not display anything, and could not be turned off by pressing the power button on the Genesis. I found a thread on the Racketboy forums (http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&p=471766) where they had this illustration and offered the solution to this problem. I honestly do not understand why a cable that seems manufactured in bulk had this flaw, but at least it could be fixed.

azurite posted:

For the buzzing power supply, I've been testing this with my PC Engine and Sega CD with success so far. Doesn't get as hot, and no loud buzzing to speak of (unlike the popular Velleman adapter, in my experience). It's also UL-listed, so it most likely won't burn your house down.

Edit: It's also worth noting that I've heard the plastic cases shifting as the systems got warm. Maybe that could be what you heard.

Looks good and can be shipped to my country farily cheaply. There is a local seller that is offering online the 1602, but if we cant reach a deal, is good to know there is an alternative. While I get a replacement, is it safe to continue using the buzzing AC Adapter? I plugged it into the wall without the console a few times today and did not made a sound.

I heard the noise from the console at least two more time during the night, and it makes sense that the plastic case is shifting, as I had not used the complete unit combined for more than a few minutes to test, and this time I left it on for a couple of hours, alternating between CD titles and the two carts. Guess I'll tell the padre to stand by with the crucifix until further notice.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Yeah, some AC adapters tend to buzz. It's a side effect of the components used and isn't dangerous.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

azurite posted:

The clicking might be the focus mechanism, as stated, but that should not be happening while the system is off. Is the light coming on too? There could be a transistor issue, but I really doubt it.

Nice, I've been looking for a reasonably-priced power adapter with a right-angle plug for my PC-Engine. The Velleman adapter buzzing is annoying and is a recent development; they didn't do that before. They also switched to a cheaper-feeling plastic housing and switch around that time, but at least it still functions just fine as a power adapter.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
So someone on Imgur posted up this rather rough and ready retropi handheld. It is not good.

http://imgur.com/gallery/sBFlA

For content that isn't just making GBS threads on someones project, I vaguely remember a golf rpg being mentioned, I love games with rpg elements but cannot remember what it was called.

Kea fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 28, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

That poor Game Gear, why not buy or make a custom case for that instead of poorly shoving buttons inside of something that's nowhere near the right size?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kea posted:

So someone on Imgur posted up this rather rough and ready retropi handheld. It is not good.

For content that isn't just making GBS threads on someones project, I vaguely remember a golf rpg being mentioned, I love games with rpg elements but cannot remember what it was called.

What a horrible chop-job.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

kirbysuperstar posted:

What a horrible chop-job.

Yeah, those buttons are horrific.

There are plenty of good looking handheld cases on etsy, I guess they're more expensive than that thing, but... yeesh.

I think I might buy one myself when I can afford that and a good screen. I am loving my retropies, and converting one to a handheld might be fun.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kea posted:

amazing new technology allows emulamers to miniaturize their tacky MAME cabs!

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Talking of emulamers, I just setup a spare netbook with Lakka as an emulation machine, works fairly well actually, pretty simple setup though a minor tweak was needed to persuade it to display to my TV. Would recommend to anyone who wants to set something like this up, might not be as fancy as hyperspin but its a drat site easier to deal with. Xbox 360 controller dpad is making me hate my life however.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Hyperspin always seemed too... busy, too "much" for me. I can see the appeal of attract videos / other info, if you've got a dedicated cab or something, I guess. I'm really digging Emulation Station, I wish it'd get ported to Android, but Retroarch with XMB does the trick.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kea posted:

Mario Golf Advance Tour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kea posted:

Shockingly, there are a ton of these. Though I guess that isn't so shocking when you consider that in the 80's Japan was simultaneously RPG and golf obsessed and in the 2000's everyone was shoving RPG elements into everything. Even some of the Tiger Woods games could be considered to have RPG elements as you improve your golfer by playing in events. I can't think of any 1980's ones that got translated to English, though...

• Locked thread