Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
We were cleaning the house up last night since my parents are coming up for Christmas, and this happened:

Me: Hey, should I start dinner now?

Husband: Nah...I'm not hungry yet. Let's wait a while.

Me: Are you sure? I kinda want to get it over with soon so I can clean the kitchen after

Husband: No, I'm totally not hungry. Let's wait until *chore* is done and then do it

Me: Okay. *starts chore*

*10 minutes later, while I am knee deep in cleaning*

Husband: Now I'm suddenly starving!! How long until dinner??

Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
My car-horn peeve is tied in with the school-run peeve: twice daily our estate is rammed with yummy mummies doing the school run, as the houses at the end of the close back up to the school property. So from 8-9 and then 3-4 you cannot get down our road at all for the twat tractors blocking the drives, pulled up onto the pavement, on the verge (always a delight in this rainy weather, as they churn the grass up into a muddy, tyre-rutted slag heap), &c. Another rant for another day.

Meanwhile, there are always one or two sets of parents who stand around yackiing after they've collected their offspring; lately one of said kiddies has expressed his impatience with mum by climbing in the car and laying on the horn, not unlike a freight train as it approaches a level crossing. Every afternoon, WHOOOOOONKKKK. WHONK WHONK. WHONK WHOOOOOOOOONK and variations thereon. Sometimes he tries to play a little tune.

Annoying as gently caress.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My current pet peeve is when people don't accept the Whys of something you're doing. We're not having an argument, I'm telling you what the lay of the land is.

Person: You should do ~this~!
Me: I don't want to do ~this~ because of Reasons X, Y, and Z.
Person: But if you don't care about X, Y, or Z, ~this~ is totally great!

Doubly annoying if X/Y/Z are basic things that not caring about them is not negotiable, and/or I would otherwise want to do ~this~.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

mostlygray posted:

Get a dog if you can't hear the door. They always tell you when someone is there. They'll even come get you. When I had people casing my neighborhood for nefarious purposes, the first question the cops asked was "do you have a dog?" When I said "Yes" they said "Good." Dogs sing for their supper. If someone ever tried to break into my house, they'd have the happiest, loudest, jumpiest dog they'd ever seen. A loud "bay" will wake you up anytime.

I love dogs but I'm not getting one to alert me to visitors on the off chance that I'm taking a dump in the basement bathroom when they arrive.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm not really one to hate on Christmas music, but the alleged Christmas medley playing at my office today is currently spewing out possibly the worst cover of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" that I have ever heard and I feel like some sort of legal remedy should be available.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
People asking me to grab last minute gifts or shopping because I work at a shopping centre supermarket. Every loving year, I get this poo poo. Work is stressful enough this time of year without needing to remember people's last minute requests.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why does every big movie have an "X Ending Explained" video on Youtube? Like I saw a popular video called Rogue One Ending explained. It's a pretty clear cut ending, what is there to even talk about? It's not open to interpretation. I can understand it for Blade Runner, but Star Wars movies are open and shut.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Mu Zeta posted:

Why does every big movie have an "X Ending Explained" video on Youtube? Like I saw a popular video called Rogue One Ending explained. It's a pretty clear cut ending, what is there to even talk about? It's not open to interpretation. I can understand it for Blade Runner, but Star Wars movies are open and shut.

Everyone on youtube thinks they are going to be the next big thing so they poo poo out "content" about every single thing they can think of hoping one of them ~goes viral~ and they can finally prove mom and dad wrong by making money from making videos.

As for why anyone would watch them, I don't know, maybe they're like my parents who either sleep or talk through half the movie and are constantly saying "wait, who was that guy? I thought he was the good guy?" etc and just missed it.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

yeah I eat rear end posted:

As for why anyone would watch them, I don't know, maybe they're like my parents who either sleep or talk through half the movie and are constantly saying "wait, who was that guy? I thought he was the good guy?" etc and just missed it.

Oh god. This is my mom too. So annoying to watch movies with her. Just shut up and watch!!

Edit: also when you are watching a movie for the first time but the person you are watching with seems to think that you already know what's going on. "Who is that? What's he doing?". I have no idea, I'm seeing this for the first time, just like you! Just watch, and I'm sure they will explain it!

genetic_knockout has a new favorite as of 14:59 on Dec 23, 2016

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My wife does this in a way but it's from either not paying attention or a terrible memory. She can't remember characters at all, Game of Thrones is out of the question to watch, she will miss plot points that I have to explain and it drives me nuts. I refuse to watch season 2 of a show unless it's directly after the last episode of session 1 or she re watches the last episode.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Rythe posted:

My wife does this in a way but it's from either not paying attention or a terrible memory. She can't remember characters at all, Game of Thrones is out of the question to watch, she will miss plot points that I have to explain and it drives me nuts. I refuse to watch season 2 of a show unless it's directly after the last episode of session 1 or she re watches the last episode.

My mom's mind starts to wander when watching shows, so then she has no idea what's going on and has to rewind (DVR). There have been times when we are a half hour into an hour long show and she starts the show over. It's even more infuriating when she does this with shows where she's seen each episode 500 times already, like Criminal Minds.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I'm like that, so I never watch shows with anybody else because I know it'll annoy the hell out of them

I'm pretty sure I have undiagnosed ADD though

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Clothing stores that use flat-chested models in the pictures on their online shop. (Not body-shaming the models, themselves, who are fine and just doing their jobs.)

Odds are, the majority of your customers are not flat-chested, so pictures like this

are useless because they give most of us no indication of how these blouses are going to hang on us. That red blouse in the bottom right, in particular, will drape very differently on a woman with boobs larger than an A-cup, and it would be kind of nice to see that before buying it and having to return it when it looks like a maternity top on us, you know?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I don't know, I think in 99% of all cases you are never, ever going to look like clothing models wearing the same stuff. That's why you go and try it on and see if it looks good on you before buying it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I know it can't always be helped (I'm not a programmer), but my current pet peeve is progress bars seemingly pausing or freezing without any sign one way or another. Is it stalled? Is it doing stuff and just hasn't updated the screen? It's-a-loving-goddamned-mystery!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Twee songs in commercials MUST BE STOPPED. loving kill me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

YeahTubaMike posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sijSh4tMPVg

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Yo bro, I know. I have almost 40 years of experience in mentally altering images of women to imagine what I would look like in their clothes. This is a more specific issue.

All of the images above were taken from loft.com, and almost all of their current models are flat- or very small-chested. Two of the four women above look like they wear AA-cup bras. Chest/bra-size is a normally-distributed variable, with 98% of women wearing bra-size bigger than AA, which gives them a convex curvature to their upper torsos. This curvature affects the draping of fabric -- Karl Lagerfeld once famously complained that breasts ruin the drape, for which he was justifiably ridiculed, not only because it's such a gay male way of thinking but because he's a women's fashion designer complaining about a fundamental reality of designing clothes for women. It's like a football helmet manufacturer complaining that he has to leave an opening for the face and neck because a solid sphere would look so much better. Or a glove designer complaining about accommodating thumbs. Then just design socks, for god's sake, you imbecile.

Ok, so anyway, women are all kinds of lovely shapes and sizes, and 98% have boobs big enough to alter the drape of their blouses, and we all have a lifetime of experience mentally adding or subtracting curvature from the pictures of models in clothing to imagine how that shirt would look like on us given our particular boobs, etc. But when your pictures don't give any indication of fabric drape for us to mentally work with, then there are going to be a whole lot of people who either 1) take the risk and buy your shirts and are disappointed when they look bad on them, or 2) don't take the risk and don't buy your shirts. It is a dumb choice and it peeves me and I will not be buying any of their dumb shirts today even though I really like some of their prints. :fireman:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I posted early in this thread about roommates not changing the toilet paper, and how annoying that is especially as someone who has colitis and doesn't always have time to assess the situation once I've headed for the bathroom.

Today was the peak of it: I came home from Christmas with my family to find an empty toilet paper roll, an empty bag in the closet (another roommate peeve--not throwing out empty things), and a roll of paper towel on the toilet tank. I have questions and all of them have bad answers.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

on toilet paper: people who insist on buying the lovely one ply because it's cheaper. Yes, it's cheaper, but you also need ot use twice the amount to prevent yourself from getting poo poo or piss on your hands, so you have to buy it twice as often anyway. plus it feels awful. Just buy the double ply stuff! You don't gotta spring for the fancy 4 ply or whatever, but come on, I don't wanna have to bunch up a huge wad of paper just to avoid having it tear mid-wipe. I shouldn't have to wipe my rear end with paper that's basically just the barest glimmer of paper in the first place

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
The flip side of that is that ridiculous "EXTRA CRAZY FAT FLUFFY ROLL" that's like four times the size of normal 2-ply, and the advertising is "so you can use less!" but they know everyone is going to use the same amount, and if you're used to dispensing a certain amount, and you dispense a similar amount, you end up with a wad of TP the size of your face, and once you've crumpled it up you know it's either going down the toilet or in the trash because no one's going to use ununsed crumpled TP that was placed back on top of the roll. This is a non-issue at my place since I live alone, but I'm not the one buying the crap. I use normal TP, and when I'm a guest at a house with the "ULTRA FAT 10X GIANT ROLL" in the bathroom, a lot of it goes in the trash because I have an irrational fear of clogging up someone else's toilet, regardless of how close we are.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I love dogs but I'm not getting one to alert me to visitors on the off chance that I'm taking a dump in the basement bathroom when they arrive.

My dog won't bay for people she knows. Only strangers. She's way better than I expected when my wife chose her. Happy as poo poo but always alerts us to strangers. It's a different bay. She's a hound so barking is only for play. Baying is for work.

For content: Pet Peeve, people that are afraid of dealing with garbage or detritus. Yes, your hands will get dirty. Yes, they can be washed. You'll be OK. You don't need gloves. If you can manage not to eat the mouse that's been dead for three days, you will survive.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

MisterBibs posted:

I know it can't always be helped (I'm not a programmer), but my current pet peeve is progress bars seemingly pausing or freezing without any sign one way or another. Is it stalled? Is it doing stuff and just hasn't updated the screen? It's-a-loving-goddamned-mystery!

I used to code progress bars in Flash many years ago. They were completely fake. They had no connection to loading. Just a fake reminder that it was loading. It could take an hour to load on dial-up but we used to make it seem like there was progress.

Just had it happen to me with the Wii-U that my daughter got for Christmas. It went from 1% to 75% in a second. It had been sitting on 1% for 5 minutes. Progress bars mean nothing.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

mostlygray posted:

I used to code progress bars in Flash many years ago. They were completely fake. They had no connection to loading. Just a fake reminder that it was loading. It could take an hour to load on dial-up but we used to make it seem like there was progress.

Just had it happen to me with the Wii-U that my daughter got for Christmas. It went from 1% to 75% in a second. It had been sitting on 1% for 5 minutes. Progress bars mean nothing.

I wrote a couple Powershell scripts with progress bars that would just jump to 10/20/30/etc percent after a timer counted down a random number, just so my boss would get the thrill of 'making sure it was working'. Most of the time the code for the progress bars would be bigger then the actual useful part of the script.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've written documentation for parts of a programming language that can be used for loading bars (among various other progressive displays), and at least there the issue was more that 'progress' is super vague and covers a lot of things that can take varying amounts of time, yet wouldn't always be weighted accordingly.

The best example was uploading a considerably-sized file through a network request; the 'send' and 'receive' portions were equally weighted, so the first half would take ages but then once you hit 50% it'd leap to being done since the 'receive' half was basically just returning confirmation the file got sent.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

The flip side of that is that ridiculous "EXTRA CRAZY FAT FLUFFY ROLL" that's like four times the size of normal 2-ply, and the advertising is "so you can use less!" but they know everyone is going to use the same amount, and if you're used to dispensing a certain amount, and you dispense a similar amount, you end up with a wad of TP the size of your face, and once you've crumpled it up you know it's either going down the toilet or in the trash because no one's going to use ununsed crumpled TP that was placed back on top of the roll. This is a non-issue at my place since I live alone, but I'm not the one buying the crap. I use normal TP, and when I'm a guest at a house with the "ULTRA FAT 10X GIANT ROLL" in the bathroom, a lot of it goes in the trash because I have an irrational fear of clogging up someone else's toilet, regardless of how close we are.

Wait, you grab all the paper you think you're going to need at the start rather than just tearing it off as you go?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
somebody should make a documentary about Tiggum's way of life tbh

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

From my experience as a bad programmer who has had to make progress bars for something with a variable run-time, you will always end up running into some type of problem. I ended up figuring out roughly what portion of run-time each part of the process takes (which isn't always something you can figure out, since the portion won't always be consistent), which usually prevents a "quickly fill to the end and then sits there for ages" situation, but you can still end up with inconsistent results if the server is running slower for some reason. That being said, I don't understand situations where loading bars consistently behave strangely; it seems like you should at least be able to make its movement consistent under most circumstances.

edit: Or I guess they're fake like that other poster mentions. The one I'm talking about is for operations that can last 10-20 minutes so I figured it was worth spending some time making sure it is at least somewhat accurate.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

From my experience as a bad programmer who has had to make progress bars for something with a variable run-time, you will always end up running into some type of problem. I ended up figuring out roughly what portion of run-time each part of the process takes (which isn't always something you can figure out, since the portion won't always be consistent), which usually prevents a "quickly fill to the end and then sits there for ages" situation, but you can still end up with inconsistent results if the server is running slower for some reason. That being said, I don't understand situations where loading bars consistently behave strangely; it seems like you should at least be able to make its movement consistent under most circumstances.

edit: Or I guess they're fake like that other poster mentions. The one I'm talking about is for operations that can last 10-20 minutes so I figured it was worth spending some time making sure it is at least somewhat accurate.

Yeah mine were always <60 sec affairs, transferring files or deleting logs and such. For like, proper usages you'd want something that reflects reality - mine just reflected out of touch management.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

YeahTubaMike posted:

Same but also commercials trying to be touching. Especially the ones that are basically a short film a student would make if they had a similar sized budget.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

Hahaha, I didn't know there was a term for songs like this. I really hate this type of music. I think the main reason is because a lot of the time it's taken more seriously by people (compared with, say, most pop music) despite being super super boring and simplistic musically.

edit: It's like the musical version of that "hand-drawn" font that appears in a bunch of indie movies.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Current peeve: when you cook dinner for someone and they spend the whole meal complaining that they don't like it. Don't eat it then, rear end in a top hat. Cook your own food if you don't like what I cook.

I have lovely housemates

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I'd rather them be honest and say they don't like it than kiss my rear end and say how delicious it is but only finish a quarter of their plate and say "god I'm sooo full" and dump it in the trash.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

my peeve is, they whined at me to make enough food for them, so I did. My other housemates enjoyed what I cooked and ate several helpings, but they didn't like what I made so they were just really loving rude about it. If you don't like spicy food, don't ask me to make you gumbo!

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
When a million people ask if you're upset for no goddamn reason. Like at the library or office I'll be going over something that requires a bit of attention and patience:

Supervisor: Is everything okay?
:geno: I'm good.
Director: Are you upset about something?
:geno: I'm alright

Fast forward to the thirtieth person.

Are you mad?

:argh: Well loving now I am.

Just let me do my job. I don't need to cheese out to edit a grant request

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Razorwired posted:

When a million people ask if you're upset for no goddamn reason. Like at the library or office I'll be going over something that requires a bit of attention and patience:

Supervisor: Is everything okay?
:geno: I'm good.
Director: Are you upset about something?
:geno: I'm alright

Fast forward to the thirtieth person.

Are you mad?

:argh: Well loving now I am.

Just let me do my job. I don't need to cheese out to edit a grant request

Cheer the gently caress up then. Problem solved.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Thrifting Day! posted:

Cheer the gently caress up then. Problem solved.

Might be hard to understand. But most people can be perfectly fine without a giant smile. And if I wanted cheerful to be in the job description I'd work the front desks.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Sociopastry posted:

my peeve is, they whined at me to make enough food for them, so I did. My other housemates enjoyed what I cooked and ate several helpings, but they didn't like what I made so they were just really loving rude about it. If you don't like spicy food, don't ask me to make you gumbo!

I have never met a person this rude in my life jfc

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Current peeve: Reading a long Wikipedia article on my phone and accidentally rotating it, which causes the page to reload and put me back up at the very start of the article for some reason, and now I have to scroll all the way back down to where I was to continue reading.

Also, I get asked 'are you okay?' a lot too. Sometimes you just have an angry-looking neutral face. I wound up training myself to smile at people constantly to prove I'm not in a bad mood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Parasol Prophet posted:

Current peeve: Reading a long Wikipedia article on my phone and accidentally rotating it, which causes the page to reload and put me back up at the very start of the article for some reason, and now I have to scroll all the way back down to where I was to continue reading.

Also, I get asked 'are you okay?' a lot too. Sometimes you just have an angry-looking neutral face. I wound up training myself to smile at people constantly to prove I'm not in a bad mood.

RBF is a hell of a thing.