Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, that makes sense. It could charge my cell phone faster!

Having it engage the brakes equivalently is probably not a good idea? Seems fraught with edge cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Having it engage the brakes equivalently is probably exactly what you want, in fact, because then the amount of deceleration you can expect for a given pedal input is constant. Doesn't matter if the battery is full or empty, if you put your foot down X amount the car will slow down at Y rate, and the computer figures out how to balance the two systems.

I know that people like to game the regenerative systems in their electric vehicles but really that should just be left up to the car.

Also, if you tried to burn up the energy charging your cell phone it would have no effect on your car's speed and the cell phone would explode. A high-speed cell phone charger puts out around 10 watts, while I'd guess based on the numbers that a Tesla can regenerate at around 50,000 watts.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, but then the brake pedal is in a different position depending on battery capacity. Or they decouple pedal position, but they've been careful to not do that with autopilot.

The regen goes to about 50kW, yeah.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Okay, so you can't store the energy in the battery because it's full, but the energy's gotta go somewhere. Where do you want to "throw it away" to?

The most obvious thing to do is turn it into heat. Put a big resistor pack up front in the airflow, and dump the electricity through that. Forward motion turns to electricity which turns to heat which is rejected to the air.

Or you could just use the service brakes, which turn forward motion into heat directly.

Mechanical KERS like an F1 or LMP1 car

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Finger Prince posted:

Mechanical KERS like an F1 or LMP1 car
Not worthwhile on an EV. You'd have to spin it down at some point, and how often are you really in regen with a full battery?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Not worthwhile on an EV. You'd have to spin it down at some point, and how often are you really in regen with a full battery?

Use it to power accessories like the AC compressor and comedy air horns.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

ilkhan posted:

Not often at all - However much energy you're trying to put into the battery, you would have to have removed more energy getting up to speed. The only exceptions would be either driving a long way downhill right after charging, or one of those fancy future roads that charges your battery as you drive.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

All winter I'm going to be in a state of reduced regen, really.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cockmaster posted:

Not often at all - However much energy you're trying to put into the battery, you would have to have removed more energy getting up to speed. The only exceptions would be either driving a long way downhill right after charging, or one of those fancy future roads that charges your battery as you drive.

If you live on top of a hill and charge to 100% you get it every morning.

A good tip for reduced regen, if it's a pain to get used to or not, is to put some heat cycles and wear into your brakes which normally have very little asked of them. Many early Teslas over here have had problems with brakes not working or brakes being stuck in the cold.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Ola posted:

If you live on top of a hill and charge to 100% you get it every morning.
So charge to 90% like most people do.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
^- Imagine four electric vehicles on the top of a hill...

I wish there was some way to customize the pedestrian warning sound in my car (I just discovered it had that when running in pure EV mode). I dunno maybe it could play something else. Like songs from "Erasure".

So it crawls by and they hear "...we're gonna be WE'RE GONNA BE TOGETHER AGAIN, I'VE been connected to the right line..." as it drives past.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Three-Phase posted:

I wish there was some way to customize the pedestrian warning sound in my car (I just discovered it had that when running in pure EV mode).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdWswvLPdE0

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah yeah. if i ever get an electric motorcycle it's gotta be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NxJ7sKeKvM

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Sagebrush posted:

yeah yeah. if i ever get an electric motorcycle it's gotta be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NxJ7sKeKvM

That would actually make want a motorcycle (and I have 0 interest in them).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I haven't really been into customizing since Winamp skinning days, but I think if EVs are required to have sound, it should be possible to change them around. Make/share/download stuff, change it on the fly while driving.

Something like this to start with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA7145CNK_I

Then maybe some seasonal vibe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axkte_QvgFU

Trolling children:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fprmKneQKs

Trolling everyone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FjywBCv_8E

And of course...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPf_PJlJsJQ

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you can configure it, someone will configure silence, of course.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I would totally buy a Tesla if it blasted "Brain Power" when you turn in Insanity Mode.
https://youtu.be/mj-v6zCnEaw

Subjunctive posted:

Hello darkness my old friend?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Elon's all-hearing ear will detect it and default to the factory bzzoooom sound. Besides, you'll get smacked with a copyright cease & desist by the John Cage estate.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Interesting...

https://electrek.co/2016/12/24/tesla-supercharger-v3-over-350-off-grid-solar-powerpack-elon-musk/

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

God bless that strange, strange man for always thinking big.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Subjunctive posted:

It’s not hard to analyse an audio file and determine its volume.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
One thing that bothers me about the car I got - the high voltage cables to the inverter package are pretty well protected - they've got a big orange outer sheath. However there are also wiring bundles that I assume go from the car's computer and other systems to the inverter that are in a bundle, but then the wires in that bundle break out into rather dinky little individual cables that plug into the inverter assembly.

It just seems like a really cheesy thing to do, and I'm interested in maybe putting some kind of protective sheath over where the cables terminate - just to offer a little more protection from dust and dirt.

Just had to get that off my chest.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Ciaphas posted:

God bless that strange, strange man for always thinking big.
And for being humorously a dick about it.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
350kW is a LOT of solar panels.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Been mulling it over for awhile now.. But as of yesterday I am now a Volt owner... Bought a 2017 LT in Black, with cloth heated seats (I HATE leather seats with a passion, I don't see why people consider it an upgrade!)

Haven't got to drive it much just yet... but this is the first electric drive vehicle I've ever driven. The near instant torque is awesome. Compared to my old 4-cyl 2011 Fusion, the Volt is a performance car.

Some notes:
  • Back seat is a bit small, but not really an issue for me. Rarely carry anyone. I still have my old car if needed for passenger carrying purposes.
  • 120v charging is EXTREMELY slow.. Even switching it to 12 Amps it still takes 12-13 hours to full from empty. The default 8 Amps is even slower at 16 hours.
  • The charger that comes with the car is made by Clipper Creek and IS capable of 240v, but for some reason GM slapped a 120v plug on it. If you make an pigtail plug adapter you can plug the OEM charger into a 240v outlet and it will happily charge the car at 240v and 12 amps. Cutting the charge time down to 5ish hours. A 16Amp 240v charge station will cut it down to just under 4 though.
  • HVAC controls are a bit confusing at first.
  • When in gas mode, the engine rev does not match accelerator input at all, which takes some getting used to.
  • Remote preheating the car from the onstar app or the keyfob is AWESOME (never had a car with remote start before)
  • Android auto is great
  • This car is eligible for the full $7500 tax credit... My federal tax liability/withholding is not quite that, so I don't get to take advantage of the full 7500, but I will get back my entire federal withholding for 2016 :D
  • I average around 20k miles of driving a year, a lot of it within the 50ish mile electric range. So it will be interesting to see how much less gas I buy.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 27, 2016

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Isn't the Volt like the poster child for why you lease instead of buy an EV?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Isn't the Volt like the poster child for why you lease instead of buy an EV?

Leasing for that full government subsidy is nice and at the end, you get to negotiate the buyout to possibly get a lower price (if value drops out).

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Jesus christ, I need to stop trying to pick people up from the airport in my Leaf.

It's 70km each way, but there's L2 charging at the airport. First attempt, I had trouble finding the charging stations and only got ~10 minutes of charging, claiming ~50% charge and 80km on the rangemeter. The leaf turtled a few blocks away from home and I was able to get it within half a block before the battery died and then push it the rest of the way.

This time, I knew where the stations were, and it took my GF about an hour to get through customs and baggage recovery, so it got nearly a full hour of charging. The trip there used just over 50% of the battery, and it was at 66% and 115km on the rangemeter when we left the airport, with one passenger and two weeks of luggage instead of two passengers and six weeks...and it turtled 20km away from home. :psyduck:

It's sitting in the parking lot at the vet now and I'll be calling a tow for it in the morning.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

ToxicFrog posted:

Jesus christ, I need to stop trying to pick people up from the airport in my Leaf.

It's 70km each way, but there's L2 charging at the airport. First attempt, I had trouble finding the charging stations and only got ~10 minutes of charging, claiming ~50% charge and 80km on the rangemeter. The leaf turtled a few blocks away from home and I was able to get it within half a block before the battery died and then push it the rest of the way.

This time, I knew where the stations were, and it took my GF about an hour to get through customs and baggage recovery, so it got nearly a full hour of charging. The trip there used just over 50% of the battery, and it was at 66% and 115km on the rangemeter when we left the airport, with one passenger and two weeks of luggage instead of two passengers and six weeks...and it turtled 20km away from home. :psyduck:

It's sitting in the parking lot at the vet now and I'll be calling a tow for it in the morning.

This story is the antithesis to all of our aspirations in this thread. :( Is any company (e.g. Nissan) going to help with your towing costs or are you SOL?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Michael Scott posted:

This story is the antithesis to all of our aspirations in this thread. :( Is any company (e.g. Nissan) going to help with your towing costs or are you SOL?

Nissan will tow it to the nearest public charger for free (the L2 at the nearby mall), or to anywhere else I want (e.g. my house) if I pay the difference (about 5km).

It's 24/7 service but takes up to an hour for them to get there, and I wanted to get home and eat curry with my family more than I wanted to get the car home.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Would you say that, following these incidents, your range anxiety has:
A. increased
B. decreased
C. stayed the same
D. all of the above
?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Why did you take the leaf when you know it doesn't have the range to do it without a recharge and without waiting for it to charge?

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

stevewm posted:

Been mulling it over for awhile now.. But as of yesterday I am now a Volt owner... Bought a 2017 LT in Black, with cloth heated seats (I HATE leather seats with a passion, I don't see why people consider it an upgrade!)

Haven't got to drive it much just yet... but this is the first electric drive vehicle I've ever driven. The near instant torque is awesome. Compared to my old 4-cyl 2011 Fusion, the Volt is a performance car.

Some notes:
  • Back seat is a bit small, but not really an issue for me. Rarely carry anyone. I still have my old car if needed for passenger carrying purposes.
  • 120v charging is EXTREMELY slow.. Even switching it to 12 Amps it still takes 12-13 hours to full from empty. The default 8 Amps is even slower at 16 hours.
  • The charger that comes with the car is made by Clipper Creek and IS capable of 240v, but for some reason GM slapped a 120v plug on it. If you make an pigtail plug adapter you can plug the OEM charger into a 240v outlet and it will happily charge the car at 240v and 12 amps. Cutting the charge time down to 5ish hours. A 16Amp 240v charge station will cut it down to just under 4 though.
  • HVAC controls are a bit confusing at first.
  • When in gas mode, the engine rev does not match accelerator input at all, which takes some getting used to.
  • Remote preheating the car from the onstar app or the keyfob is AWESOME (never had a car with remote start before)
  • Android auto is great
  • This car is eligible for the full $7500 tax credit... My federal tax liability/withholding is not quite that, so I don't get to take advantage of the full 7500, but I will get back my entire federal withholding for 2016 :D
  • I average around 20k miles of driving a year, a lot of it within the 50ish mile electric range. So it will be interesting to see how much less gas I buy.

Does your work provide chargers? I average 15K a year and it was a struggle on the old Volt. I averaged 50-55 miles per charge usually.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I was unbelievably stoked for the Model 3 (enough to go stand in line and give Elon $1,000 on day zero) but, man, I work from home and my 2011 Prius (with a hair less than 40k miles on it) has been paid off for years. I bought gas today and was curious when I filled up last, which was in early November. I've had this weird realization that I really just don't need a new car at all, even by 2018 when these things start becoming available. Is this what it's like being an adult? It feels weird and foreign.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

io_burn posted:

I was unbelievably stoked for the Model 3 (enough to go stand in line and give Elon $1,000 on day zero) but, man, I work from home and my 2011 Prius (with a hair less than 40k miles on it) has been paid off for years. I bought gas today and was curious when I filled up last, which was in early November. I've had this weird realization that I really just don't need a new car at all, even by 2018 when these things start becoming available. Is this what it's like being an adult? It feels weird and foreign.

I have a new-ish cheap paid off ICE car. I love the idea of electric cars, and I love Tesla. I work from home. I just don't have the disposable income to justify paying $35,000 before incentives for anything except possibly a house. I need that money to grow for retirement. It makes me sad because I think the Model 3 will be great, I just can't justify it and don't have a need for it.

I hope it will still accelerate the future of cars, and maybe I'll buy a used one someday in the far future.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

io_burn posted:

I'm in a similar boat. An electric car would be cool, but every time I hear coworkers talk about how little they spend on gas for their Models S, it inevitably segues to chargers and range planning, and I think about the delta between my car plus the $5k of gas I've bought for it, and how that doesn't come to a third of what their cars cost.

Fuckers are fast as poo poo though, fuuuuck

e: in a different boat, my dad loves his electric boat

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Tell us about the electric boat! Seems like a great use of EV, with the huge premium on fuel at marinas, limited needed range for typical lake use, and that torque.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

HFX posted:

Does your work provide chargers? I average 15K a year and it was a struggle on the old Volt. I averaged 50-55 miles per charge usually.

Not right now, but the I have sparked the owners interest in EVs.. Even saw him looking at Tesla. At the very least I might end up with an outlet to plug into!

I have slightly irregular driving habits. I generally drive about 15 miles a day. Unless I have to travel to one of our branches, which are on average about 20-30 miles from our corp office. If I do have to drive to other branches, it tends to be in spurts for a few days at a time, and then not for several weeks/months.

Since I use my personal vehicle for occasional work use I get a monthly allowance that covers a significant portion of the monthly payment, and then a company fuel card. Because of the work allowance I basically pay the same as if I had leased the Volt, if not a touch cheaper.

Call me stupid but I actually prefer driving my own vehicle for work purposes.

Edit: also wanted to add I have cheap electric. 9 cents/kWh for the first 300kWh, 5 cents for the next 700kWh, and then 4 cents for every kWh past 1000. I average about 800kWh (fully electric house)

stevewm fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 28, 2016

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Three-Phase posted:

350kW is a LOT of solar panels.

Yeah, I have to imagine he's talking about the peak output available from the group of PowerPacks or something, not the solar capacity. The current supercharger stations have about 100 panels on them, and even with their latest SolarCity panels that produce 350W, that's "only" 35kw of panels. They'd need 10x the rooftop space to get 350kw of panels, so it's gotta be the peak charging output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

JBark posted:

Yeah, I have to imagine he's talking about the peak output available from the group of PowerPacks or something, not the solar capacity. The current supercharger stations have about 100 panels on them, and even with their latest SolarCity panels that produce 350W, that's "only" 35kw of panels. They'd need 10x the rooftop space to get 350kw of panels, so it's gotta be the peak charging output.
Its max charging rate. How anybody could expect 350kW of solar panels per station is a :wtf: moment.

• Locked thread