Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Ihmemies posted:

Well at least I have all the time in the world to implement it myself :v: I should probably start to write a book too to kill the time.

Or start studying for certs you'd like to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Ihmemies posted:

I work in a very quiet clinic and sometimes it may take hours for new patients to appear to the worklist. Does anyone know about some software which checks a specific screen area for average pixel value changes or something? And then gives an alert.

AutoHotKey has capability for this too, but I don't recall an averaging function for an area. People do seem to have written functions for it though.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Ihmemies posted:

Well at least I have all the time in the world to implement it myself :v: I should probably start to write a book too to kill the time.

What you're looking to do is actually pretty easy (if I understood your request). I know it looks daunting, but AutoIT was pretty easy to figure out.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Why would you use LibreOffice Writer to save things in Word's format and then export a PDF file? Just save in .odt and export .pdf as needed, no mysterious formatting problems.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Fair enough. I am used to never using .odt since I was mainly using it to send in papers for college classes, and professors don't like it when they can't open your papers.

I think my brother can get me cheap Office next semester.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sirotan posted:

Does anyone need a new job, as Pokemon Director of Information Security? http://chj.tbe.taleo.net/chj04/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=POKEMON&cws=1&rid=356

This is the company that supports storing extremely important data on "someone's pc"

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I use latex to write all user memos about how useless antivirus is in Canada

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Yikes, my company decided if you worked more than 5% of your total income in overtime you're ineligible for bonus this year - so no bonus for me. Nevermind that OT is baked into our SOW's and we budget for it, and I never go over that budget..

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sepist posted:

Yikes, my company decided if you worked more than 5% of your total income in overtime you're ineligible for bonus this year - so no bonus for me. Nevermind that OT is baked into our SOW's and we budget for it, and I never go over that budget..

I've been at my new job for a little over 3 months now, and I was told by my director that he put me in for maximum bonus and maximum raise.

Pod life is good life.

Colonial Air Force posted:

I use latex to write all user memos about how useless antivirus is in Canada

LATEX for maximum insufferability.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sepist posted:

You work for a VAR and you're hourly? That's unusual just because there's such a high risk of owing you OT since deployments can balloon so quickly in hours worked.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sepist posted:

That sounds somewhat counter-productive

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
No I'm salaried but we are one of the few VAR's that pay time and a half for OT. They have had issues with OT ballooning out of control and when that happens they don't allow that engineer to get paid OT anymore.

The Fool posted:

I've been at my new job for a little over 3 months now, and I was told by my director that he put me in for maximum bonus and maximum raise.

Yes that would have been nice considering the projects I've helped secure, but there are other forces involved who have completely loving wrecked our bottom line. I've never worked at a place before that every other week I have to consider if I should continue working here - that high paying amazon job keeps whispering in my ear and it's getting more and more tempting

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sepist posted:

Yes that would have been nice considering the projects I've helped secure, but there are other forces involved who have completely loving wrecked our bottom line. I've never worked at a place before that every other week I have to consider if I should continue working here - that high paying amazon job keeps whispering in my ear and it's getting more and more tempting
gently caress Long Island, too

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sepist posted:

No I'm salaried but we are one of the few VAR's that pay time and a half for OT. They have had issues with OT ballooning out of control and when that happens they don't allow that engineer to get paid OT anymore.

What was the downside to Amazon? Sounds like you'd be going from consulting to operations, which can be a drawback, but otherwise you made it sounds like it was a good offer.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

psydude posted:

What was the downside to Amazon? Sounds like you'd be going from consulting to operations, which can be a drawback, but otherwise you made it sounds like it was a good offer.

We'll I'm on Long Island, my fiance would need to stay here to finish her internship and start her career and I would need to live in Seattle for the foreseeable future. With the bonuses and pay increase I'd close to double my salary so we could afford it but it would be stressful.

I have other options I need to consider to. I've been tentatively offered a management position at my old company because of my experience there but it's a pay decrease and my old boss just became a Senior SOLA for presidio and I've always enjoyed working with him so maybe I could go there.

Mrit SA
Nov 11, 2016

by Lowtax

psydude posted:

I know 4 former Amazon employees. All ran away screaming after a few years. It is not a good place to work.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Mrit SA posted:

I know 4 former Amazon employees. All ran away screaming after a few years. It is not a good place to work.
With Amazon, a huge amount depends on the team; individual managers have a lot of leeway in how they manage and everyone has different experiences from one team to the next. One of my friends is on the Alexa team in Boston and couldn't be happier with the work or the environment/culture. But do ask questions about the team's attrition and find out how long everyone has been there.

Amazon has been making a lot of internal cultural changes to improve their retention. For example, they recently dropped the stack ranking system they've been using since their inception:
http://www.seattletimes.com/business/amazon/amazon-says-it-will-change-performance-reviews-focus-on-staffers-strengths/

They've also been making big improvements to maternity/paternity leave and other benefits to help with some of their reputation of work/life balance issues.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 28, 2016

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I just know we've had 5 AWS reps in 4 years and they've all been stunningly attractive.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sepist posted:

We'll I'm on Long Island, my fiance would need to stay here to finish her internship and start her career and I would need to live in Seattle for the foreseeable future. With the bonuses and pay increase I'd close to double my salary so we could afford it but it would be stressful.

I have other options I need to consider to. I've been tentatively offered a management position at my old company because of my experience there but it's a pay decrease and my old boss just became a Senior SOLA for presidio and I've always enjoyed working with him so maybe I could go there.

Presidio is Presidio is Presidio. A lot of the federal-centric VARs and consulting firms (mine included) tend to lose wireless engineers to them because the fed space is terrible for wireless, and Presidio uses their consultants for both public and private sector. Everyone that I know there likes it it for the most part, but they dislike the fact that it's pretty impersonal since it's 100% remote and they never really see or hear from anyone else, so reachback (especially across practices to, say someone who does collab or security) is a lot more difficult.

It doesn't seem like a bad place to move your career up one or two final pegs before making the jump to a major principal consulting role at a place like Deloitte, Accenture, or a vendor.

psydude fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 28, 2016

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Yea that's the thing about presidio, I'm a very well rounded engineer so being silo'd will likely kill me. The thing I enjoy here is its boutique so one day I'm architecting a full network redesign then implementing it a month or so later, other days I work on single item stuff like ISE.

If I went to presidio or Amazon I would be in the wireless space again because of a certain niche wireless space I worked in, and I guess that's what the ultimate holdup is as I'm not sure that's the right move.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I faced a similar choice. I was doing security-focused network architectures, with a good bit of traditional route/switch and data center mixed in with both the organizational policy and deep-dive technical security stuff. Ultimately, I think focusing on a more narrow segment of technologies will pay off just in terms of me being able to focus all of the attention and energy I was spending on multiple disciplines and platforms on fewer targets. Moving between writing Snort rules for customers to deploying TRILL or FabricPath to doing a greenfield F5 installation was fun at times, but also exhausting.

If I were a normal LAN/WAN route/switch guy I'd be a bit worried by SDN and microsegmentation creeping from the data center into my area and eventually putting me out of work, but I think wireless is a specialty that has nowhere to go but up if you can divorce yourself from focusing exclusively on 802.11 and look at the full suite of WLAN and WWAN technologies.

psydude fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 28, 2016

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

psydude posted:

The Times wrote an interesting article about their office culture:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/technology/inside-amazon-wrestling-big-ideas-in-a-bruising-workplace.html?_r=0

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I've heard the same that Amazon experiences vary wildly depending on your team and location. I know a few employees (socially, not close personal friends) who have been there for years and love it. And one or two more who ran screaming as far away as they could.

Supposedly working in satellite offices away from HQ tends to be less stressful. But also more career limiting since you're out of sight and mind of the top execs. And that's also just where a lot of the jobs are based. AWS also seems less cutthroat than the retail side. But again, just anecdotes I've heard from a few people.

You can sure rake in the cash via RSUs though! AMZN stock really only moves in one direction.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 28, 2016

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Vulture Culture posted:

Amazon has been making a lot of internal cultural changes to improve their retention. For example, they recently dropped the stack ranking system they've been using since their inception:
http://www.seattletimes.com/business/amazon/amazon-says-it-will-change-performance-reviews-focus-on-staffers-strengths/

They were still doing stack ranking? As far as I am aware, the business "community" has recognized the lack of positive results of stack so far that GE - where it originated no longer uses it and neither does MSFT.

Unless, they're trying to downsize...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I've read this article few times and I have to say while unattractive it's kind of tempting to see and give it a shot.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

They were still doing stack ranking? As far as I am aware, the business "community" has recognized the lack of positive results of stack so far that GE - where it originated no longer uses it and neither does MSFT.

They held on to it for a long time. I know they had a reputation for churn a few years ago. It was probably lost in the noise that stack ranking will get rid of good employees.

I have a couple friends there now who survived stack ranking and they say it's a much better environment than it used to be.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

There are a lot of places that still follow the stack ranking system, but it's rapidly being phased out in environments where it drives out talent to more respectful workplaces.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

IBM got rid of it about a year ago as well

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I need to vent / get some advice from y'all.

I have a client (am MSP) which is a ~30 person law firm in town.

They have inhouse MS server doing all their LOB apps (on SQL), another AD/file server, and use a hosted exchange service. Hosted exchange has SSO / AD sync, which also integrates with their LOB apps. About 40 desktops being managed.

The head attorney wants to get rid of their servers and go 100% "cloud based" for their LOB applications. Cloud based means a remote desktop session to a server in whatever vendor's network. In her mind, taking their LOB apps to the cloud will negate the need for an on-premise server. "Each computer will just have its own password, and you won't log on to a server, you'll log on to the computer. And then remote in to the cloud." So, they want to junk their active directory in essence.

I have tried to explain that not having an in house server means there will be no way to deploy group policy, control user access centrally, we'll lose any applications which depend on domain credentials, their hosted exchange will have to be managed on its own, our antivirus system (deployed and managed via group policy) will not work properly, etc.

In addition, they have asked me to set up "a computer" that can "run an archive copy" of their LOB applications (IE, run SQL, have a backup copy of their user accounts, et cetera) that ISN'T a server (because servers are big and bad and evil! we need only cloud!) to serve as a backup for the next year.

I mean very technically, there's not a reason why we can't dissolve their active directory domain, set up local users on each and every machine in the office, migrate their SQL based apps to a workstation, et cetera - but it's just loving madness. It would cost 2-3x more for them to have us do that, than just leave their on-premise server intact. Not to mention I just can't fathom not having centralized role based authentication for a loving law firm which houses copies of data that can get people sued and poo poo.

Am I being insane? How to tactfully explain what they are asking us to do makes no sense whatsoever? (given we've already said 'this is dumb, you should not do this' 3 or 4 times) I'm close to just saying 'find someone else to handle your IT', but don't want to lose the client, we've been with them for years.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Explain to your supervisor the risk and how moving "everything" to the cloud isn't exactly realistic.

That said, I'd be tempted to migrate as much as possible to O365/Azure and leave one Domain Controller On-Premise just in case and legacy applications.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

I need to vent / get some advice from y'all.

I have a client (am MSP) which is a ~30 person law firm in town.

They have inhouse MS server doing all their LOB apps (on SQL), another AD/file server, and use a hosted exchange service. Hosted exchange has SSO / AD sync, which also integrates with their LOB apps. About 40 desktops being managed.

The head attorney wants to get rid of their servers and go 100% "cloud based" for their LOB applications. Cloud based means a remote desktop session to a server in whatever vendor's network. In her mind, taking their LOB apps to the cloud will negate the need for an on-premise server. "Each computer will just have its own password, and you won't log on to a server, you'll log on to the computer. And then remote in to the cloud." So, they want to junk their active directory in essence.

I have tried to explain that not having an in house server means there will be no way to deploy group policy, control user access centrally, we'll lose any applications which depend on domain credentials, their hosted exchange will have to be managed on its own, our antivirus system (deployed and managed via group policy) will not work properly, etc.

In addition, they have asked me to set up "a computer" that can "run an archive copy" of their LOB applications (IE, run SQL, have a backup copy of their user accounts, et cetera) that ISN'T a server (because servers are big and bad and evil! we need only cloud!) to serve as a backup for the next year.

I mean very technically, there's not a reason why we can't dissolve their active directory domain, set up local users on each and every machine in the office, migrate their SQL based apps to a workstation, et cetera - but it's just loving madness. It would cost 2-3x more for them to have us do that, than just leave their on-premise server intact. Not to mention I just can't fathom not having centralized role based authentication for a loving law firm which houses copies of data that can get people sued and poo poo.

Am I being insane? How to tactfully explain what they are asking us to do makes no sense whatsoever? (given we've already said 'this is dumb, you should not do this' 3 or 4 times) I'm close to just saying 'find someone else to handle your IT', but don't want to lose the client, we've been with them for years.
Replace all of your infrastructure with brand new equipment and call it The Cloud.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Did you guys know that the cloud is literally just a bunch of computers, and not actually magic???

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Tab8715 posted:

Explain to your supervisor the risk and how moving "everything" to the cloud isn't exactly realistic.

That said, I'd be tempted to migrate as much as possible to O365/Azure and leave one Domain Controller On-Premise just in case and legacy applications.

this is exactly what I have proposed, but the decision makers just don't understand why we can't have 0 servers, 0 domain controllers on premise, and just remote in to the cloud for our applications.

I guess what I'd love help with is how to really drive home the risk of not having a centralized authentication source on a local network. Like, how do you explain to someone who thinks servers are scary that really when you're managing security risks with 40 computers, you should probably have a central place to dictate software/user/group policy?

I can't seem to strike the balance (after having tried many many times) between saying 'this isn't technically impossible but it's utterly stupid to spend time doing because it's a bigger security risk, and we'll have to recreate the same environment we already have in a much less easy to manage fashion' and 'hey, this is stupid, why are you paying my company if you won't take our professional advice, we're out, later'

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 28, 2016

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Did you guys know that the cloud is literally just a bunch of computers, and not actually magic???

The gently caress you say, cloud solves all our problems. StarCitizen is in the AWS cloud now so it'll have unlimited amount of players because they can cloud it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx posted:

The gently caress you say, cloud solves all our problems. StarCitizen is in the AWS cloud now so it'll have unlimited amount of players because they can cloud it.

I'm going to put your noob rear end in the cloud tbh

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

mindphlux posted:

this is exactly what I have proposed, but the decision makers just don't understand why we can't have 0 servers, 0 domain controllers on premise, and just remote in to the cloud for our applications.

I guess what I'd love help with is how to really drive home the risk of not having a centralized authentication source on a local network. Like, how do you explain to someone who thinks servers are scary that really when you're managing security risks with 40 computers, you should probably have a central place to dictate software/user/group policy?

I can't seem to strike the balance (after having tried many many times) between saying 'this isn't technically impossible but it's utterly stupid to spend time doing because it's a bigger security risk, and we'll have to recreate the same environment we already have in a much less easy to manage fashion' and 'hey, this is stupid, why are you paying my company if you won't take our professional advice, we're out, later'

"This is going to cost you 10x more than the cost of maintaining or even upgrading your current infrastructure, but give you absolutely zero return on investment as well as introduce a whole new variety of security risks, problems, issues and trouble. We will do it but we'll also need to do this, this and this to make sure you stay secure and, etc, etc, blah blah"

I find that when people are being stupid like this, talking about how much money they're going to be wasting/spending in the next month helps a lot to convince them of their folly.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The hosted desktop argument falls apart when people need to work from a laptop and have patchy connectivity. In the least you need to replicate everything locally such as an Office install with Outlook etc. (lol if you think lawyers are going to use OWA) and that means you're back to having company data on a machine and have to manage it like you already have been.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Lawyers have infinite technology spend and do not ever care what things cost when ego is on the line. If a partner has some stupid pet project, especially one that the tech guy hates because it's such a good idea, all of a sudden the technology budget they haven't had for the last five years will magically appear. Focusing on ROI will blow up in your face, and these people don't have the risk-assessment knowhow to understand what "security risks" actually means. Work the compliance angle instead, and quantify the actual business risks instead of why their computers will be hard for you. Being unable to audit these computers means their client confidentiality will be compromised, full stop. Being unable to filter their web access means people can exfiltrate data to competing firms and you'll never be able to trace it, full stop. They aren't risking a computer virus, they're risking their firm's reputation. Look what happened to Hillary!

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 28, 2016

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm going to put your noob rear end in the cloud tbh

A nerdy Sopranos remake where wise guys run an MSP as their front business and use euphemisms like "I'm gonna migrate his rear end to the cloud!"

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Docjowles posted:

A nerdy Sopranos remake where wise guys run an MSP as their front business and use euphemisms like "I'm gonna migrate his rear end to the cloud!"
FYI this just came up in my browser as "I'm gonna migrate his rear end to my butt!"