Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

imo every ending is the right ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

imo every ending is the right ending

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
You know what would make this game better? More people to play Gwent with.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
The Witcher 4: Its Ciri now will be set after 3: After faking her own death, she assumes the role as the Empress of Nilfgaard. However, finding that that is boring as gently caress, she moonlights as a witcher while wearing a disguise (superhero eyeband)

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Nah they should make a spinoff witcher game where you play as sloppy seconds outcome Lambert or Eskel banging Succubi.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 28, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Let's be honest it is pretty silly how in the witcher ciri ending, the emperor just believes geralt's story that ciri is dead straight up with no questions asked, and then the epilogue talks about how ciri became greatly renowned as a monster hunter. I'm pretty sure the emperor would notice something if she was actually famous.

The other thing in the main story that made no sense to me is that after assembling all the sorcerers to make your wild hunt-destroying team, the place they choose as their home base is loving novigrad. After the game has spent a good 20 hours demonstrating that it's now pretty much the worst place in the world for anyone magical. You do a big quest to get triss and other sorcerers out of the city and then what, she just walks back in through the main gate with a crew of 4 other wanted women?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well let's be real, the Lodge is not exactly riding high on a train of good ideas by that point.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Digirat posted:

Let's be honest it is pretty silly how in the witcher ciri ending, the emperor just believes geralt's story that ciri is dead straight up with no questions asked, and then the epilogue talks about how ciri became greatly renowned as a monster hunter. I'm pretty sure the emperor would notice something if she was actually famous.

The other thing in the main story that made no sense to me is that after assembling all the sorcerers to make your wild hunt-destroying team, the place they choose as their home base is loving novigrad. After the game has spent a good 20 hours demonstrating that it's now pretty much the worst place in the world for anyone magical. You do a big quest to get triss and other sorcerers out of the city and then what, she just walks back in through the main gate with a crew of 4 other wanted women?

Witcher Ciri ending makes a lot more sense with Dijkstran Redania.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Dijkstran Redania.

This is something I might have allowed if Dijkstra wasn't loving retarded and hadn't backstabbed Roche right when I was there

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
gently caress Roche

Orv
May 4, 2011
:frogout:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Roche? More like Trache.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Roche? More like Trache.

Hey, that's pretty good. I mean, screw you and the horse your opinion rode in on, but that was clever. :hehe:

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Ending chat English doesn't do separate pronouns, but apparently Emhyr slips plural "you" in Witcheress ending with Polish track. Makes sense.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Yeah I didn't really think the Emperor believed Geralt.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

GuyUpNorth posted:

Ending chat English doesn't do separate pronouns, but apparently Emhyr slips plural "you" in Witcheress ending with Polish track. Makes sense.
Does Polish have ty/wy for informal/formal "you"?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
When I got that ending I thought Ciri had actually died and some of the dialogue options you get seem like Geralt doesn't particularly care if the emperor has him executed. Of course I then went and youtubed the actual Ciri Dies ending, and of course Geralt wouldn't bother to report to the emperor if she was actually dead, of course he'd march straight off into the swamp to die

xrunner posted:

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it. My question, I think, was vague. I've arranged outcomes where one or the other has survived. Just curious if there is a way to arrange both of their survival at the same time

Wait Detlaff can live?? How??

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 28, 2016

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

2house2fly posted:

When I got that ending I thought Ciri had actually died and some of the dialogue options you get seem like Geralt doesn't particularly care if the emperor has him executed. Of course I then went and youtubed the actual Ciri Dies ending, and of course Geralt wouldn't bother to report to the emperor if she was actually dead, of course he'd march straight off into the swamp to die

Wait Detlaff can live?? How??

You can let him leave after he kills Syanna if you don't get the ribbon.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

Xander77 posted:

Does Polish have ty/wy for informal/formal "you"?

If I remember correctly, Polish uses ty/wy for informal singular/plural, and Pan/Pani/Państwo for formal masculine singular/feminine singular/plural. I'm not Polish though so feel free to correct me.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bryter posted:

You can let him leave after he kills Syanna if you don't get the ribbon.

Dreadful.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
Picked this up on sale over the weekend for PC. Is the map kinda like skyrim where i can just wander around doing whatever for whoever i want and run into a bunch of fun little stories?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Loose Ifer posted:

Picked this up on sale over the weekend for PC. Is the map kinda like skyrim where i can just wander around doing whatever for whoever i want and run into a bunch of fun little stories?

Sort of. A lot of the basic peasants are just going to say "Hm?" or treat you like a freak. The best thing to do is find a notice board and pick up literally every notice. That will put a bunch of question marks on your map. Then you can explore them to find quests. If you find an exclamation point, that's also a quest, so be sure to head for it. My experience so far is that there isn't a ton off the beaten trail. Because every point of interest is a question mark and you can find most of them through notice boards or conversations with people in the main quest/people you find via notice board, you don't so much walk through town talking to random passers-by looking for work.

If you're used to Skyrim, it takes a second to get used to, but once you do, the way the map and quests work is really straightforward and cool. It eliminates the scavenger hunt aspect of things and just lets you travel to hubs of interest.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Loose Ifer posted:

Yes, though it's broken into 5 separate regions you can fast travel between, 4 if you didn't get the second DLC. The map shows you more locations than that, but Velen and Novigrad are one huge continuous area that actually also hits a part of Vizima, but for inexplicable reasons the Vizima travel point on the map is specifically to the palace, which you cannot travel to from the main map of Velen.

I highly recommend installing the colored map markers and the Friendly UI that turns off the minimap and other poo poo unless you're in combat or using your Witcher senses. Let's you appreciate the world more and also gives more of a sensation of exploration and wandering around, otherwise it ends up feeling more like RDR with swords.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 28, 2016

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Velen and Novigrad are one huge continuous area

Oh, poo poo, I didn't know this. I'll have to watch where I tread, it's my goal to stay in Velen as much as possible for now.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
My first bit after White Orchard was when I realized how great this game was. After running around Velen for a while and doing nothing of real substance to the main plot, I enjoyed a beautiful sunset and saw in the dusk the lights of a hilltop castle and city far in the distance. I jumped in a boat and sailed along the coast toward the lights, almost getting my rear end kicked by drowners on a treasure island before running back to my boat. The city got bigger and bigger until I rounded a lighthouse into the Novigrad harbor. I was so surprised I could access the place, and I ran around until I found a bar--or brothel. Such a great game for unscripted stuff like that.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Bicyclops posted:

Oh, poo poo, I didn't know this. I'll have to watch where I tread, it's my goal to stay in Velen as much as possible for now.

It's pretty obvious when you cross over, they're divided by a river. Velen is the west and south, Novigrad/Redania is the north and east.

Fuzz posted:

Yes, though it's broken into 5 separate regions you can fast travel between, 4 if you didn't get the second DLC. The map shows you more locations than that, but Velen and Novigrad are one huge continuous area that actually also hits a part of Vizima, but for inexplicable reasons the Vizima travel point on the map is specifically to the palace, which you cannot travel to from the main map of Velen.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the imperial army camp?

Anyway yeah the Quest Map Markers mod is the only one I'd consider a total must-have, it's well integrated into the game to let you take a look at your map to figure out which level-appropriate quests are near you.

I just finished up Velen myself, looking forward to the rest of the game! Pretty sure I cleared out 90% of the side quests in there. And got as close to 'good endings' as I could for the Bloody Baron quest and Keira, as I managed back when I first tried in the game on PS4.

Although I didn't realise with Keira (only Act 1/Velen spoilers) that if you say "Can't let you do that" instead of "It's suicide", that she actually starts a boss fight with you! Misclicked that one..

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
Well it seems this is exactly the game i'm looking for then. Hope the combat is passable.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Loose Ifer posted:

Well it seems this is exactly the game i'm looking for then. Hope the combat is passable.

It certainly is much better than Skyrim.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Loose Ifer posted:

Hope the combat is passable.

i mean i guess you could say that

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rochencrantz and Geraltstern

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Loose Ifer posted:

this is perhaps the greatest single player game I've ever played

Ive beaten the main quest 3 times and I still come across stuff I've missed, and I'm just finally starting to work on the DLC. If another game developer would have created the Blood and Wine DLC they would have sold it for $60 as a video game.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Loose Ifer posted:

The combat is decent, it's the storytelling, immense size of the game, and attention to detail that really sells it though.

A tip for all newbie players: stop caring about levels, XP, and loot. There is way way more XP in the game than you need to hit max level, you'll out-level side quests no matter what. Additionally, rewards from quests are 99% of the time worse than your crafted Witcher gear sets and you don't get much money (also money isn't super useful).

Do quests because they seem cool and fun, not for any XP or loot reward. You have to break the RPG powergaming and phat lootz habits.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pellisworth posted:

The combat is decent, it's the storytelling, immense size of the game, and attention to detail that really sells it though.

A tip for all newbie players: stop caring about levels, XP, and loot. There is way way more XP in the game than you need to hit max level, you'll out-level side quests no matter what. Additionally, rewards from quests are 99% of the time worse than your crafted Witcher gear sets and you don't get much money (also money isn't super useful).

Do quests because they seem cool and fun, not for any XP or loot reward. You have to break the RPG powergaming and phat lootz habits.

You're gonna need to care about fuckin' loot once Blood & Wine rolls around and you start paying like 30k for some goddamned runes or whatever. Thankfully, normal gear is just fine.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Pellisworth posted:

The point where combat becomes incredibly easy is also pretty much the point where you fall in love with the characters and the setting and the plots so that it doesn't even matter

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Adun posted:

The point where combat becomes incredibly easy is also pretty much the point where you fall in love with the characters and the setting and the plots so that it doesn't even matter

Can confirm, as soon as I was level 9 or 10 I started seeking out the Griffin diagrams and as soon as I hit 11 I started wearing them and I'm level 14 now and haven't found anything better, although some stuff has come very close.

The Wolven Gear sidequest is listed as level 14 but is there actually a way for me to get to Kaer Morhen to nab it? I'm only in Novigrad.
e: oh ok apparently while it's level 14 it's locked by story and it's there to be immediately upgraded.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 29, 2016

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Just turn on level scaling folks

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

When I finished this game for the second time just after Blood and Wine came out, I sternly told myself that I couldn't play it again until next year i.e. until 2017, because I have a backlog!, other games exist! etc.

It's 2017 in 3 days. I'm really tempted to start a new playthrough.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I booted up The Witcher 3 to stress test GPU overclocking and remembered it's one of the few games with Nvidia's Ansel screenshot system and decided to play with it a little.

You can see Geralt at the bottom-center of the first picture, standing just off a dirt path. Far away is the castle of the Duchess and the town near it in the upper left. Without moving Geralt I moved the camera all the way over there to take the next two pictures.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wish you could get/set exact coordinates and angle and time of day with Ansel so you could duplicate shots. I wanted to stitch up a screenshot with everyone hanging out at Corvo Bianco - Geralt, Ciri, Triss, Yen, Dandy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I wish you could get/set exact coordinates and angle and time of day with Ansel so you could duplicate shots. I wanted to stitch up a screenshot with everyone hanging out at Corvo Bianco - Geralt, Ciri, Triss, Yen, Dandy...

Gaunter O'Dimm talking to the majordomo in the background. :unsmigghh: