Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

nerdz posted:

Should I get Don't Starve or Dungeon of the Endless?

They're both amazing games. I think dungeon of the endless has a little less replayability. I've spent so, so many hours on don't starve. Dungeon of the endless takes about 3? hours to finish a game. Don't starve can last for days for a game, especially if you move worlds to reset the counter. Get both for sure.
edit: http://endless-day.com
If you set your clock to Jan 21 on your pc (I did it earlier this year) it can unlock a bonus character in DotE.

redreader fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Palpek posted:

A reminder that there's a Mass Effect-style game set in ancient Greece that's like $2 now: Rise of the Argonauts.

Nothing about the game's store page indicates that this is anything resembling Mass Effect. Could you perhaps expand on that a little?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Spring Break My Heart posted:

How are the BG1, BG2 and IWD Enhanced Editions? Is the additional content any good?

Can't speak about the additional content, but BG1:EE & BG2:EE are very good, fix a multitude of bugs and run flawlessly in new systems.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
How good are the ports of these versions of Final Fantasy, particularly the post-SNES ones and IV? V and VI look like they just ported those phone versions, made ugly games even uglier.

How about Grandia II? I heard back things about the port of Tales of Symphonia...

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

How good are the ports of these versions of Final Fantasy, particularly the post-SNES ones and IV? V and VI look like they just ported those phone versions, made ugly games even uglier.

How about Grandia II? I heard back things about the port of Tales of Symphonia...

they actually fixed symphonia so it runs fine now. some people seem to be bent out of shape that it doesn't run at 60 fps but whatever. they fixed pretty much everything else.

I think I mentioned it earlier but emulate the snes ff games, the psx era games run fine nothing special and the ffx-x2 remaster runs great.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

DrNutt posted:

Nothing about the game's store page indicates that this is anything resembling Mass Effect. Could you perhaps expand on that a little?

If you want Mass Effect Lite, just buy The Bureau. It's even got Lift which was the best power in Mass Effect.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

8 uses midi and needs to be modded. Ran well, iirc.

7 has mods for something important I can't remember. Also ran well.

Mods can't save 6 apparently but can make it look a little better? I haven't gotten around to playing that one yet. I downloaded all the mods and forgot to install them and can't find the page on it, derp.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Alright, so it's mostly just extra playable factions as opposed to big gameplay changes like you'd espect from a Civ game. Probably will get at least one or two of those then.
Gonna spread the holy light of Mohammed across the continent.

As far as must have DLCs go, I'd say The Old Gods top priority.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Are there any bad player friendly fighting games with decent-ish solo mode? I have Skullgirls and... thats it for fighting games.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Furnaceface posted:

Are there any bad player friendly fighting games with decent-ish solo mode? I have Skullgirls and... thats it for fighting games.

For story modes/single player, maybe the Mortal Kombat series?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
So, Kragger99 gifted me Inside and Shadowrun: Hong Kong.

I decided to play Inside and I just finished it, and...

What.

The.

gently caress.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
So did you get inside, or what?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Krazyface posted:

So did you get inside, or what?

I most certainly did not.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

HPanda posted:

Played Dying Light a bit last night, finished out the prologue and just the first few conversations in the tower afterwards. Seems fun so far. I'm still getting used to the parkour (there were a few times last night where I just wanted to let go of a railing, but kept jumping off or jumping to the railing beneath instead). Also getting used to just how far I can jump and catch the next edge, how far I can fall, what breaks falls and by how much, etc. My intuition for these things has been pretty bad so far (how can he not climb a tall chainlink fence?).

It definitely gives that feeling of danger early on when I can just barely take down a regular zombie before running out of breath. Guessing this will change based on videos. Haven't had a real night yet, just that fake one in the prologue, so looking forward to getting caught unawares by the time. By the way, any way to tell the time apart from the sun? I looked around the menus but didn't see anything. The character has a watch, but not sure how to look at it.

Stick with the parkour, it will grow on you. I said something about player skill before, and it is very real in that game. I hosed up so many times when parkouring in the beginning before it just clicked after some hours/days with the game. Running out of breath can also be upgraded in the skill tree and you get points in the Agility tree for running and evading, so just keep it up and have fun with it.

I found a good way to enjoy it was, whenever I felt combat frustrating I would go hunting for different ways to escape in the corner of my eye/screen, including jumping off tall buildings and then just aiming for cars or garbage dumps under. Don't be afraid to die from the parkour, just (free)flow with it and risk dying some of the time. You'll wake up in the nearest safe zone, ready to go again. You also get other skills in the Agility tree, like rolling for dampening your fall, etc.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 28, 2016

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Thanks for the tips. On the note of dying, is there any other penalty? Like dropped items or anything? Otherwise, not sure why storing materials is a thing instead of just always carrying everything that's not a weapon.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Edmond Dantes posted:

So, Kragger99 gifted me Inside and Shadowrun: Hong Kong.

I decided to play Inside and I just finished it, and...

What.

The.

gently caress.

Awesome, right?

I just finished a tournament in Kragger's gift, Kopanito All Stars, I'll post more extensive impressions later, but it's definitely got the flavor of NES World Cup Soccer. I like the powerups, and it has a create-a-gif feature, which is great because scoring a goal is really satisfying.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DrNutt posted:

You run around Mythological Greece to build a crew of heroes to fight the bad guy at the end. So, maybe more like Mass Effect 2? Also:

monster on a stick posted:

If you want Mass Effect Lite, just buy The Bureau. It's even got Lift which was the best power in Mass Effect.

This, expect your squadies are disposable. As they should be in any XCOM game.

Any opinions on Void Destroyer or House of the Dying Son? I should only pick up one space flighty game but can't decide which one. Both seem to involve commanding a fleet as well as space combat.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

HPanda posted:

Thanks for the tips. On the note of dying, is there any other penalty? Like dropped items or anything? Otherwise, not sure why storing materials is a thing instead of just always carrying everything that's not a weapon.

You very likely have to craft some new items, like medkits and the like, before trying a mission again, because the items you used are, well, used. But no other penalty that I can remember. It really plays different than other zombie games in that you are vulnerable if you keep standing in one place too much, and can't just shoot and kill everything from where you stand. The zombies are supposed to gang up on you, so keep moving if you find yourself surrounded or climb a van or something to get a look around for the best escape route.

I almost never used the storage bag, true. I believe there are just 2 or 3 times when you get some certain items, they are put in there. Otherwise, the bag is just for you to store any favorites you might have, I don't know. I had way more fun just throwing away or selling destroyed/no more repairs weapons and enjoying a new shiny one to test out.

I kept all crafting materials with me at all times, but sold all lovely weapons/items whenever I could. I only looked at the damage output for what to keep or not, but some like different weapon ranges as to what they like to keep. I started out enjoying axes, but went with something quicker after a while.

Also, maybe don't craft a small item immediately, even if it says (2) on the crafting menu - because you might be able to craft 2 pieces of that throwing star or molotov, but could save some of those items to craft something that requires 2 of each of those items to build. In other words, craft to experiment, then craft only what you need and actually like to use.

I kept mostly 2 melee weapons with me (maybe 3-4 at the start because they kept falling apart) and then changed it to 2 melees and 2 ranged weapons later. I won't spoil what they are, but they are fun to use, as is the upgraded melee weapons when they torch zombies with those wonderful upgrade devices.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 28, 2016

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Shredder posted:

It has one of the best villains ever, and if you enjoy shooting things it's a good time. The 2nd half kinda falls flat but there's definitely $5 worth on fun to be had.

honestly it's been a real fun game that had a solid hook, totally worth 5 bucks even if I get bored of it later.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Edmond Dantes posted:

I most certainly did not.

I mean you sure got inside something.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

In years past, some goons have posted some hidden gems or otherwise great, cheap games. Does anyone have a link to such posts handy for this sale?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Shadow225 posted:

In years past, some goons have posted some hidden gems or otherwise great, cheap games. Does anyone have a link to such posts handy for this sale?

maybe i'm just old and cranky but I feel like modern steam sales don't have this anymore. Maybe there are some good old games you haven't tried yet but in general it doesn't feel like the sales on "stuff everyone knows is good but is still a couple years old" is as good anymore. At best you can try out the stuff you considered in the past but for whatever reason didn't already get

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There are new hidden gems every year it's just that no one wants to wade through all the steam greenlit garbage to find it. but they're there. just from my 50 indies of 2016 alone:

Defunct - $1.99 - as fast as sonic but with wide open spaces instead of bullshit
Pony Island - $1.64 - meta game about escaping a demonic arcade cabinet
Khimera - free - punching megaman where you become everyones friend
Seraph - $4.41 - sidescrolling acrobatic shooter roguelite
Princess Remedy: first game free, second game $2.69 - really good 'healing' games by daniel remar (ittle dew, hero core, card city nights)
Rusty Lake Hotel - $0.99 - escape the room game with morbid but silly premise
Cubotrox - $2.99 - magical drop meets pictobits
Highrise Heroes - $1.24 - tile puzzle game with a goofy loving story
LiEat - $2.09 - JRPG trilogy of little supernatural detective stories
Blitz Breaker - $0.98 - fast action platformer where you can't stop once you move in a direction until you hit a wall

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 28, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

As a counterpoint: It lacks any of the polish or fun Mass Effect had. It's a janky mess that was salvaged out of 2K's original XCOM idea and it shows. Try and avoid it unless you're desperate for a new game.

Bit the bullet and bought INSIDE on sale. Kind of wish it was about forty minutes shorter so I can get a refund for it. As much as I liked Limbo, this one didn't do anything in its brief run that made me happy to have played it. It was interesting in that inexplicable manner it is, but the gameplay and puzzles were so minimalistic I think I would have rather saved that money for lunch this week (or more games on sale) and played two more hours of FFVIII instead. If you're in the same poverty basket as myself, maybe wait until it's $8 or so.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

maybe i'm just old and cranky but I feel like modern steam sales don't have this anymore. Maybe there are some good old games you haven't tried yet but in general it doesn't feel like the sales on "stuff everyone knows is good but is still a couple years old" is as good anymore. At best you can try out the stuff you considered in the past but for whatever reason didn't already get

People have been saying this for literally 4 years now. The only thing that has changed is that everyone probably already owns the Borderlands 2, Left 4 Dead, Terraria, Dishonored, etc because they've been 5 bucks for years. The sales honestly haven't gotten worse, we just have a lot of the big things.

Thanks for the list QfG2!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I got started on Steins;Gate. I always wanted to get it as I hear a ton of good things about it.

I am still in the first chapter (Where the Scientist girl shows up again), and, well, I am kinda torn. On the one hand anything having to do with the central mystery and/or anywhere where the main character stops being a Chuuni tool has been good. However, everything else is riding a fine line between making fun of otaku bullshit and celebrating it, and I am already sick of anime's tendency to celebrate the latter.

I think it is mostly due to the viewpoint character being, as said earlier, a chuuni tool.

I don't expect it to go away, but does it get better about it?

EDIT: QfG2 has been repping Rusty Lake Hotel, and if you like that, there is another game in the same series called Rusty Lake Roots, which is also good and is only $1.50, if you want more. There are also a handful of free Escape the Room games based in that universe as well.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 28, 2016

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Shadow225 posted:

People have been saying this for literally 4 years now. The only thing that has changed is that everyone probably already owns the Borderlands 2, Left 4 Dead, Terraria, Dishonored, etc because they've been 5 bucks for years. The sales honestly haven't gotten worse, we just have a lot of the big things.

Thanks for the list QfG2!
What games did you get from their list?

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Shadow225 posted:

Pretty much this. I didn't play any games at all between 2012-2015, and before that I didn't buy games in digital format. So there's just a massive assortment of great games that I should try out. Way more than I have time or energy to play, but no big deal. You guys just have such big collections probably :D Go live in a Tibetan monastery for a few years and then come back to see if there's something on Steam sale.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I was going to buy some games in this sale but I keep on just playing Nuclear Throne instead

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Discounts are probably shittier because the insane explosion in early access and greenlight means putting your game on sale for a nickel isn't going to reach literally everyone like it did back in the day. There's just too much poo poo to see and eyeballs are too directed by algorithms to sort through the giant piles of poo poo. As such, you're gonna reach maybe the people who are your target audience -- the people you can sell a game to for 30% off. You're not reaching crowds so insanely big that you can sell at insane discounts.

I don't buy the "you already own everything" arguments because stuff that was on sale for incredibly cheap prices costs more now than it did several years ago. Skyrim came out loving 5 years ago and it's $20, or $30 for better shaders. That poo poo has been on sale for $5 on Steam years ago. loving Oblivion is selling for twice that. Arkham Asylum is selling for the same sale price I got it at 7 years ago.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Unlucky7 posted:

I got started on Steins;Gate. I always wanted to get it as I hear a ton of good things about it.

I am still in the first chapter (Where the Scientist girl shows up again), and, well, I am kinda torn. On the one hand anything having to do with the central mystery and/or anywhere where the main character stops being a Chuuni tool has been good. However, everything else is riding a fine line between making fun of otaku bullshit and celebrating it, and I am already sick of anime's tendency to celebrate the latter.

I think it is mostly due to the viewpoint character being, as said earlier, a chuuni tool.

I remember having a similar initial reaction to the protagonist but there's certainly more to it and him and he'll get better once the story kicks into gear properly (which does take a while as it's a pretty slow starter).

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Unlucky7 posted:

It gets better, yeah. I found the protag incredibly annoying for a while (but interesting and even sympathetic? later) and some of the Extra Anime bits were just like yeah okay whatever already but when it starts getting good it gets GOOD.

In general a lot of VNs and light novel type works seem to suffer from lack of tight editing that really makes intros drag (but lets the mid to late stories go off the rails in really fun ways)

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 28, 2016

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

What games did you get from their list?

I haven't had time to check them all out yet so nothing.

For the record, the ONE time I don't read the OP, it has the answer to my question. Sad!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I bought Republic Commando tonight because I really should have already owned it.

But yeah if you haven't played Republic Commando it's 2.50 and is some seriously good poo poo.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Zetsubou's games wot i quite like - pointless christmas awards edition

Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6
Part 7

Dungeon Warfare - $4.99 (-50%) - this is a great TD game
Long Live The Queen - $4.99 (-50%) - I used to be a princess like you, until I got an arrow in my lung
Ossuary - $4.99 (-50%) - surreal puzzle adventure game
The Ball - $4.99 (-50%) - physics puzzle game with a massive ball
Ziggurat - $5.24 (-65%) - first-person dungeon crawler
Eador: Masters of the Broken World - $5.99 (-70%) - HoMM-style strategy game. An upgraded version of Eador: Genesis
Master Reboot - $5.99 (-60%) - surreal sci-fi horror, one of the few indie horror games that kept me interested enough to finish it
Mini Metro - $5.99 (-40%) - subway puzzler game, has melbourne trams 5/5
Crimsonland - $6.99 (-50%) - classic twin-stick shooter from early 2000s
Desktop Dungeons - $7.49 (-50%) - puzzle game disguised as a roguelike
Spice Road - $7.99 (-60%) - city-builder and trading sim
Caves of Qud - $8.99 (-10%) - the POWERTHIRST of roguelikes
Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure - $8.99 (-10%) - charming action-RPG
Airship Dragoon - $9.99 (-50%) - turn-based steampunk squad assault game with a board-game style overworld
Disgaea PC - $9.99 (-50%) - rule the netherworld by throwing exploding penguins, dood
Infinifactory - $12.49 (-50%) - I really like this game
Duskers - $14.99 (-25%) - tense command-line driven space survival
Imagine Earth - $17.99 (-10%) - colonize a planet and expand while managing food, power, and goods
Factorio - $20.00 (-33%) - pretend that the discount is real and say goodbye to the next hundred-odd hours

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Shadow225 posted:

I haven't had time to check them all out yet so nothing.

For the record, the ONE time I don't read the OP, it has the answer to my question. Sad!

that's sorta my point friend, I've been around steam sales since I don't even know when but I feel like deals on stuff thats already been out for a year+ have been pretty meh lately unless the next title in the series is out and somtimes not even then. Like don't get me wrong dragon's dogma has been a good game but it's 4 years old and still more than 10 bucks.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Furnaceface posted:

Jamfrost posted:

For story modes/single player, maybe the Mortal Kombat series?

Yeah just for sheer volume I'm pretty sure MK9 and Injustice have the most singleplayer content out of any other FG available. MKX probably does too, but I'm not up to date on whether they've fully salvaged that mess yet.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

PantsBandit posted:

I bought Republic Commando tonight because I really should have already owned it.

But yeah if you haven't played Republic Commando it's 2.50 and is some seriously good poo poo.

I replayed Republic Commando last year and it's held up surprisingly well for a 2005 FPS as far as gameplay went. Graphics are what you'd expect. Doesn't take you awful long either, I think the storyline was something like 8-10 hours, which was just right. Also, good voice acting.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Edmond Dantes posted:

Well, launched Witcher 3.

:stare: gently caress me. This game is pretty.

Hitman is also ridiculously good looking.

Install reshade.me into the game.exe directory and turn on 1-3 of the several filters like lunasharpen or adaptive sharpen and kill the milky shrouds with Levels.Fx and you will never ever play games without reshade again.
Costs about 5-10 frames but totally worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I installed the Reshade mod into Mad Max and couldn't get over how pretty it looked

• Locked thread