Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The old people's problems are gonna kill Rei :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
The direction in this episode was pretty great.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
All the Studio Shaftisms in the world it seems. Two people standing opposite of each other in front of a river with some sort of boat in the background and one of them has a head tilt.

The outburst at the end was the good stuff. I like it that Rei isn't a pushover and actually has some bite to him.

"It's your fault that you're weak!" and holy hell is it true.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Requesting a gif of the teacher's OH NO

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
Why are Shaft's worlds so friggin empty? Is it a budget thing, or is it just the idea of isolating this poor guy?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Raenir Salazar posted:

All the Studio Shaftisms in the world it seems. Two people standing opposite of each other in front of a river with some sort of boat in the background and one of them has a head tilt.

Also, flights of pigeons.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

runupon cracker posted:

Why are Shaft's worlds so friggin empty? Is it a budget thing, or is it just the idea of isolating this poor guy?

I think I saw an explanation for this in Nisekoi; the idea is that Shaft likes to portray their adaptions as being stage plays or at least evoke stage/theatre imagery. So the emptiness is like sorta just meant to bring the focus on the central characters who basically take turns monologuing at each other.

But it does do a good job at conveying isolation; I couldn't help but feel like the walls were closing in on me watching Rei run through the park.

StandardVC10 posted:

Also, flights of pigeons.

Isn't that a John Woo thing that Anime likes a lot? It was also in Re:Zero.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't really know but it was one of the major recurring scenes in Hidamari Sketch, along with Yuno's alarm clock.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Araki posted:

Requesting a gif of the teacher's OH NO

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I feel like the manga really has a sense of that, too. Especially with Rei's "you lost because you were weak," he's all alone and there's just nothing around him.

Alright, with regard to Kyoko, this was my take. I think at this point anything I say really isn't spoiler-ish?

Kyoko is several years older than Rei; I wouldn't say this makes her so very much more mature than he or anything like that but the age difference does matter because I think Kyoko does engage in some slightly sophisticated emotional manipulation/abuse.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say she flat out detests him but I don't think she actually loves him in any way. I think she very early on saw him as a competitor for attention and someone who was destroying the family dynamic: truisms, really, but not things that are Rei's fault at all but it's a lot easier to blame the new kid in the family than to blame your dad for making a decision that might not work for a family, no matter how noble.

This is where I potentially go off the deep end, but I retyped this a few times and got tired of hedging on it so I'll just say precisely what I actually think and whatever.

I think Rei has romantic feelings for her in some capacity that he absolutely couldn't process (I mean, she's his adoptive sister so there's your starting point for why this would be impossible for him to process, among a lot of other things). He fixates on her in a way he doesn't with his brother and there are reasons for that that might not align with romantic feelings, but the way he frames her other romantic involvements seems to hint at it. It's really hard to tell in the manga.

I think Kyoko sensed that and because she dislikes him, decided to take advantage of him. Keeping that in mind I now think that the scene we see with her straddling him/holding his collar is unequivocally assault: she wanted to hurt him in some way because she picked up on that. I think her other interactions with him continue that in some fashion; she knows he has no idea what to do with himself as far as she's concerned and can take advantage of him when it suits and take out her rage and frustration on him over and over without any true pushback from him.

I don't think that Rei himself has come around to the idea that what she did to him was assault or abuse but he clearly keeps thinking about it and trying to process it to some extent since it shows up as a fragment in his mind over and over again and it isn't something framed in a way like 'this was a moment I enjoyed,' it's 'this was a scary thing that happened and I don't know what to do about it.' Maybe Kyoko, who is mature but obviously not as mature as she thinks, has a similar sort of problem with processing her thoughts about him and assaulting him was how she dealt with it but that's even harder to divine than the other stuff I just typed up.

I mean Rei's whole thing is just figuring out how to have something even approaching a healthy relationship with other people because he clearly doesn't even have the first clue. I really hope people who are into the anime but haven't read the manga try to pick it up after this ends because there's some stuff that likely won't be animated that's really interesting about him; he goes through some big changes but "I have no idea how to process this so I'll bury it with [this other thing]" remains a constant with him.

eta: I know this is long, sorry, I just... obviously if you're here you love 3 gatsu too but I love this series so much that I'll type words forever on anything relating to it

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 18, 2016

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Mamoru Oshii uses flocks of birds often in his anime, so I'd expect a reference to him over John Woo.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ive always thought of flocks of birds as a decently common visual image, not something id really connect with one particular director

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i think this series really is strongest using silence and direction and character drama. god drat this episode was tough to watch at points. rei has learnt empathy, but not in a way that cripples him

also rei really has to :sever: from kyoko shes bad news for him

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The ending sequence to this ep was so great, holy poo poo.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Nate RFB posted:

The ending sequence to this ep was so great, holy poo poo.

Agreed. I wasn't sure what was going to happen with the match and Rei's feelings, which I thought were masked beautifully for a lot of the episode. The fact that he won so readily was really interesting and hearing his inner monologue through the plays was a very interesting one as well, with him willing the guy to keep going but not letting him off the hook was one of the most interesting approaches to that dynamic between him, Kyoko and this pawn she's using to try and upset Rei.

Being empathetic without being weak was a pretty amazing character moment.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

ive always thought of flocks of birds as a decently common visual image, not something id really connect with one particular director

now that i've watched the ep, yeah it didn't really feel to be going for any sorta reference with the birds. more likely just something to do with Rei agonizing over familial relationships, if anything.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

eta: I know this is long, sorry, I just... obviously if you're here you love 3 gatsu too but I love this series so much that I'll type words forever on anything relating to it
I actually also think that Kyoko harbors feelings of some sort for Rei. When she said, "We lived under the same roof for ten years, but it's like I barely know anything about you," it was said in a sort of regretful tone rather than one of disdain (to which Rei responds with a surprised "huh?") And the she goes and wraps herself in his futon, sniffs it, and says that it doesn't smell like him yet (with the same tone and facial expression.) I mean, she's whacked, but there's something that's not being said from her.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
Now that I've gotten to it, I see why there were so many replies in this thread this week, this was a particularly good episode in an already great show.

I appreciate that Rei didn't fix Mr. Yasui's marriage, relative to what we got that would be a total cop out. Also, the bit where Mr. Yasui got kinda melty was pretty great imagery.

Even though I don't really know what's going on during them, this show does a really good job of holding my attention during matches. It kinda reminds me of Akag in that regard.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
The melting part was very Kaiji.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Cowwan posted:

Now that I've gotten to it, I see why there were so many replies in this thread this week, this was a particularly good episode in an already great show.

I appreciate that Rei didn't fix Mr. Yasui's marriage, relative to what we got that would be a total cop out. Also, the bit where Mr. Yasui got kinda melty was pretty great imagery.

Even though I don't really know what's going on during them, this show does a really good job of holding my attention during matches. It kinda reminds me of Akag in that regard.

The moment where Yasui grabbed the back raised my hackles and made me go into defence mode myself, it was very realistic.

It's not quite Akagi for me yet in terms of being able to follow along; I feel like they're using "Advanced plays" where the moves rely on the interaction of multiple pieces and that just isn't obvious to me compared to "Oh I can take that piece without losing one, sweet."

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Is there a subtitled or translated version of the cute nyaa shogi song anywhere?

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t88zw9M2L_s seems to have captions.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
New episode, Rei seems to be recovering from his funk and his cold.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
That single shot of his sister near the end when he was going to bed really got me. :smith:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

:kimchi:

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I'm going to wait for the anime to finish, but once it does I'm definitely picking up the manga. This is too precious to ignore.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The stuff the manga goes into blows what's been covered in the anime away, really. It's amazing the directions the series has gone, when a lot of other series would have resolved a given plot and then ended the series outright.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

now full fluffy

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Captain Invictus posted:

The stuff the manga goes into blows what's been covered in the anime away, really. It's amazing the directions the series has gone, when a lot of other series would have resolved a given plot and then ended the series outright.

Do you think there's a decent chance of much of it being covered in the second cour, or is there just too much material to get through?

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

esselfortium posted:

Do you think there's a decent chance of much of it being covered in the second cour, or is there just too much material to get through?

At the current pace of ~25 chapters per cour there is enough material for four more cours, and the manga is ongoing. That said, the next cour should be very good! I'm a bit sad though, because it looks like this season will probably end right before the Ladybug Bush arc which is one of the best parts of the manga.

I deeply hope the anime gets a second and eventually third season in the coming years!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Episode 11.5, worth or skip?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I took it at its word that it was a recap episode so I didn't bother. The next episode preview did show animation, so I just watched that.

Also, have premieres moved to Thursdays?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Coaaab posted:

Also, have premieres moved to Thursdays?

Still looks like Saturdays: http://cal.syoboi.jp/tid/4295

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

AnacondaHL posted:

Episode 11.5, worth or skip?

i started watching it just to see if it had a neat framing device

it doesn't have a framing device at all

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

darn. Oh well, thank you for your sacrifice friendly goons

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Episode 4: rip Hina, died of making lunch

Hey, this show is really good!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Is the mangaka a big fan of YUKI? She did the OP for Honey and Clover as well.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
The final shot of the new OP is strong. Momo is powerful in the OP and this new episode.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Ahh what a great continuation. New OP and ED are very nice! Next week's opponent: Shimada, 8-dan! :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

There's always that one guy that cracks the lame jokes, this is too real lol

• Locked thread