Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cowofwar posted:

Stop buying cars.

No.

But cars are his thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The BLS is out with its annual household saving statistics. The takeaway: America is BWM.

- 39% of American households spend more than their after-tax income. (If you exclude all retirement contributions and distributions, it looks ever so slightly better at 37%)
- Less than 8% of American Households save more than 20% of their after-tax income.
- The median amount saved per year (this figure DOES NOT include the 39% of households with negative saving rates) is $912.
- The average annual contribution rate to retirement accounts is 4.5% (this does not include any households that don't contribute at all)
- The average value of a individual aged 55-64's retirement portfolio (this only includes portfolios with at least 10k in them) in 2016 was $104k.
- 31% (!!!) of people say that the value of their retirement accounts decreased between 2006 and 2016.

Semi-Caveats / Maybe GWM Notes:

- Large luxury expenses are not driving the problem. The problem is that most people have mortgage and car payments that exceed 50% of their after-tax income
- Student loan debt is also driving part of it; which is not an inherently BWM situation.
- These huge mortgages will look slightly better in statistics in 30 years when they are paid off if the next generation doesn't do the same thing.
- Average personal credit card debt is actually slightly down.
- Personal incomes are up, but people on the bottom half of the income spread are barely back to where they were in 2007.

In other words, millions and millions of people are spiraling into a retirement/inability to work any longer completely dependent on social security and their children/grandchildren, and millennial wage earners will be increasingly leaned on to fund the retirement of the oldest, brokest generation of retirees ever.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The people who need a new car every 2-3 years or sooner just baffle me. I realize you have a little cash in your pocket, wouldn't you rather it stay there instead of going in the loving garbage? The 2017 Sentra isn't that nice, trust me you'll survive somehow in your Camry with 30K miles.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Pryor on Fire posted:

The people who need a new car every 2-3 years or sooner just baffle me. I realize you have a little cash in your pocket, wouldn't you rather it stay there instead of going in the loving garbage? The 2017 Sentra isn't that nice, trust me you'll survive somehow in your Camry with 30K miles.

If it wasn't for BWM people selling two year old cars, the GWM people wouldn't be able to buy them after the depreciation hit.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Humans suck at delayed gratification, so $300/mo indefinitely doesn't sound much worse than $0/mo in a few years.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Best way to avoid car payments: get obsessed with weird cars too old to get approved for a loan on.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Droo posted:

It might make sense to pay the minimum on the 0% card until the last month or two, and then do a full balance transfer onto a new or existing credit card to avoid the giant interest charge that will occur if it's not 100% paid off.

I'm also considering a plan like that, pay minimum on the 0% APR lines and throw all of the money at the 13% loan for 3 or 4 months to pay that off, then burn down the 0% APR lines before their promo period is up. The biggest issue with that is that it requires being disciplined and GWM and if I was either of those things I wouldn't have any of this debt.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I love cars too, so I drive a 13 year old miata which cost me $40 in unplanned maintenance over 5 years. $30k is hardly expensive for a new car but the guy clearly can't afford it and it's incompatible with his goals.

E: I haven't read the whole thread, where does the title quote come from?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Pryor on Fire posted:

Incidentally, my own mother has been nagging on about replacing my '08 Kia Rio for quite some time.

When I asked why I needed to replace my completely functional car, she mutters on about "advanced technology" in the newer models.

She never explains precisely what said technology does, or why I should shell out $15K to experience it.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Everyone buys stuff to fill holes of sadness in their brains. Some people are GWM and buy inexpensive things, some people are BWM and buy expensive things. In both cases the hormone induced euphoria is fleeting and they are soon looking for the next thing to buy.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Incidentally, my own mother has been nagging on about replacing my '08 Kia Rio for quite some time.

When I asked why I needed to replace my completely functional car, she mutters on about "advanced technology" in the newer models.

She never explains precisely what said technology does, or why I should shell out $15K to experience it.

It can be worth at least checking the crash test ratings.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/kia/rio-4-door-sedan/2008

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

captkirk posted:

I'm also considering a plan like that, pay minimum on the 0% APR lines and throw all of the money at the 13% loan for 3 or 4 months to pay that off, then burn down the 0% APR lines before their promo period is up. The biggest issue with that is that it requires being disciplined and GWM and if I was either of those things I wouldn't have any of this debt.

You don't have to pay off the debt entirely to avoid the penalty, you can do a balance transfer from the penalty card to your current card and that will accomplish the same thing. Some people do it this way with new 0% credit card offers to basically string them along, but that is risky because you might not be able to get a new card when you need one depending on your situation. However, if you have a current card in good standing that allows balance transfers (I think typically they allow them for a 3% one time fee), it will still work to your advantage even though as soon as you do the balance transfer, you start paying the 13% rate on your existing card on that debt.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Yeah, can't begrudge someone getting newer cars every 5 years or so just from advances in crash protection. Cars even 5 years old don't have good small-offset crash ratings, which is a likely crash scenario that wasn't tested for back then.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Dying instead of going to the hospital is GWM.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, can't begrudge someone getting newer cars every 5 years or so just from advances in crash protection. Cars even 5 years old don't have good small-offset crash ratings, which is a likely crash scenario that wasn't tested for back then.

That's the thing that has me thinking of getting a new car; I do the "buy new and drive into the ground" strategy but that doesn't work so well with reliable Japanese cars that never die. Maybe I'll wait for AI-driven electric flying cars which should happen next year according to Elon Musk.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

cowofwar posted:

Everyone buys stuff to fill holes of sadness in their brains. Some people are GWM and buy inexpensive things, some people are BWM and buy expensive things. In both cases the hormone induced euphoria is fleeting and they are soon looking for the next thing to buy.

My childhood was not fun so I buy LEGO fully realizing I'm probably broken somehow and spending too much money on plastic bits.

It's relaxing though when they snap together I tell you what.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Roylicious posted:

My childhood was not fun so I buy LEGO fully realizing I'm probably broken somehow and spending too much money on plastic bits.

It's relaxing though when they snap together I tell you what.

Used to work with a guy that had ~$40k tied up in bricks. He made backlit translucent paintings with them or something wild like that. He was showing them at Brickmania, which is an url you probably shouldn't click on if you like tanks, jeeps or aircraft and having money.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

quote:

I have zero debt other than a car payment and old mortgage on a condo

quote:

My biggest debt is $29k for my car. I know I know. But cars are my thing. They're my hobby. They're my life. Is it more than I can afford? No. Is it expensive and stupid to some? Yes. Car is financed for 2.49%, I can go to my credit union and get it refinanced for 1.49% which I plan to do this month.

After that I have a loan for a few hundred dollars at the same credit union. That's at 3% and should be paid off next month.

After that no debt whatsoever.

What do these people think "no debt" means?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Switchback posted:

Good person.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Lots of people seem to think that the only "debt" that counts is credit card debt, because that's clearly bad debt while other debt is good debt. I'm 90% sure this is due to some bullshit marketing campaign but I must have missed it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah I love cars too, so I drive a 13 year old miata which cost me $40 in unplanned maintenance over 5 years. $30k is hardly expensive for a new car but the guy clearly can't afford it and it's incompatible with his goals.

Ok but what do you consider "unplanned maintenance" because some cars need a full engine overhaul at like 100,000 but that's planned so it's okay

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah Miatas are just like Ferraris when it comes to planned maintenance

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Best way to avoid car payments: get obsessed with weird cars too old to get approved for a loan on.

VW Thing for life!!!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm the car guy who's been driving the 1985.5 (the half year matters) Porsche 944 that he paid $1000 for and put another $3k into over the course of the last 6 years (the overwhelming portion in the first year to get thing back up to snuff). The only thing not included in that figure is fuel.

So what kind of car guy are you when you say you need to spend $$,$$$$ to have fun? Learn how to turn a wrench. It's very satisfying because it makes it "your car."

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Motronic posted:

I'm the car guy who's been driving the 1985.5 (the half year matters) Porsche 944 that he paid $1000 for and put another $3k into over the course of the last 6 years (the overwhelming portion in the first year to get thing back up to snuff). The only thing not included in that figure is fuel.

So what kind of car guy are you when you say you need to spend $$,$$$$ to have fun? Learn how to turn a wrench. It's very satisfying because it makes it "your car."
That's exactly how I look at it. It's just silly to me that there are people who say "I'm a car guy! It's my hobby!" when all they do is take out loans to trick out or buy expensive cars. Because that doesn't necessarily make you "a car guy". You're just... a consumer of automotive goods. It's similar to how a lot of kids I've spoken to call themselves a "tech geek" because they always upgrade to the newest iPhone on release day.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 28, 2016

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

What is "small-offset crash"?

Went looking for my 2013 car safety rating and couldn't find anything on it... should I be worried?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Suspicious Lump posted:

What is "small-offset crash"?

Went looking for my 2013 car safety rating and couldn't find anything on it... should I be worried?

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ratings-info/frontal-crash-tests

quote:

Small overlap frontal test

To help drive further improvements in frontal crash protection, the Institute in 2012 introduced a small overlap frontal crash test. The test is designed to replicate what happens when the front corner of a vehicle collides with another vehicle or an object like a tree or utility pole. This crash test is a challenge for some safety belt and airbag designs because occupants move both forward and toward the side of the vehicle.

In the small overlap frontal test, a vehicle travels at 40 mph toward a 5-foot-tall rigid barrier. A Hybrid III dummy representing an average-size man is positioned in the driver seat. Twenty-five percent of the total width of the vehicle strikes the barrier on the driver side.

Most modern cars have safety cages encapsulating the occupant compartment and built to withstand head-on collisions and moderate overlap frontal crashes with little deformation. At the same time, crush zones help manage crash energy to reduce forces on the occupant compartment. The main crush-zone structures are concentrated in the middle 50 percent of the front end. When a crash involves these structures, the occupant compartment is protected from intrusion, and front airbags and safety belts can effectively restrain and protect occupants.

Small overlap frontal crashes primarily affect a vehicle's outer edges, which aren't well protected by the crush-zone structures. Crash forces go directly into the front wheel, suspension system and firewall. It is not uncommon for the wheel to be forced rearward into the footwell, contributing to even more intrusion in the occupant compartment and resulting in serious leg and foot injuries. To provide effective protection in small overlap crashes, the safety cage needs to resist crash forces that aren't tempered by crush-zone structures. Widening these front-end structures also would help.

This has a video of a Honda Pilot doing a small overlap frontal crash test to see why they test for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMtOcKK6I4o (and that was rated "good" :stonk:)

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 28, 2016

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I'd be willing to go into BWM territory to get a new car with all the modern safety features.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I read somewhere that modern traction control is expected to reduce serious crashes by 35% (which is why it was made mandatory so quickly)

I mean that's just amazing to me, there's tens of thousands of traffic fatalities every year just in the US and that will literally save 10,000+ lives a year

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ate all the Oreos posted:

Ok but what do you consider "unplanned maintenance" because some cars need a full engine overhaul at like 100,000 but that's planned so it's okay

Anything that's not on the maintenance schedule, which, sine it's not a Ferrari, doesn't include engine rebuild at any point:

In my case it was a lovely Mitsubishi camshaft position sensor. I'll be up for a timing belt change soon but it basically paid for itself by taking it on some work trips.

Anyway this is getting way offtopic, the point was that "I'm a car guy" is a lovely excuse for getting $30k in debt for a car you can't afford.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
You guys have very strong opinions on other people's hobbies.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Anything that's not on the maintenance schedule, which, sine it's not a Ferrari, doesn't include engine rebuild at any point:

In my case it was a lovely Mitsubishi camshaft position sensor. I'll be up for a timing belt change soon but it basically paid for itself by taking it on some work trips.

Anyway this is getting way offtopic, the point was that "I'm a car guy" is a lovely excuse for getting $30k in debt for a car you can't afford.

Yeah okay, I was legitimately wondering since so far I have only owned a new car and a hand-me-down from my mom that had 180,000 miles on it and was basically falling apart near the end, culminating in me starting it one day and it spraying a gasoline fountain all over the place that luckily someone saw before I started driving and immolated myself.

Residency Evil posted:

You guys have very strong opinions on other people's hobbies.

This sounds like something a car person would say...

GET EM' BOYS

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ate all the Oreos posted:

I read somewhere that modern traction control is expected to reduce serious crashes by 35% (which is why it was made mandatory so quickly)

I mean that's just amazing to me, there's tens of thousands of traffic fatalities every year just in the US and that will literally save 10,000+ lives a year

Kind of off topic, but not really - for my wife's birthday I bought her 90 minutes at the Porsche Driving Experience. One of the obstacles on their test track kicks out your rear wheels creating a spin. First you drive over it with traction control on and it's not so bad. Kind of scary, but nothing a good driver can't handle. Next, without traction control where your car immediately goes into multiple spins as you helplessly try to control it. I watched a dozen driving enthusiasts try it and everyone of them spun out.

Traction control is awesome. I just wish I knew when it was working. It's not like you're looking at your dash instruments when you are in a situation where TC is needed. A little beep or something would be nice to let me know technology has once again saved my rear end.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

Kind of off topic, but not really - for my wife's birthday I bought her 90 minutes at the Porsche Driving Experience. One of the obstacles on their test track kicks out your rear wheels creating a spin. First you drive over it with traction control on and it's not so bad. Kind of scary, but nothing a good driver can't handle. Next, without traction control where your car immediately goes into multiple spins as you helplessly try to control it. I watched a dozen driving enthusiasts try it and everyone of them spun out.

Traction control is awesome. I just wish I knew when it was working. It's not like you're looking at your dash instruments when you are in a situation where TC is needed. A little beep or something would be nice to let me know technology has once again saved my rear end.

Yeah one of the things that's so cool about it is that it catches and corrects tons of slips before a person could even detect a slip was happening at all. I wonder if that poo poo is reported in the ODBCII port that'd be neat to chart...

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Switchback posted:

I've never really thought about this - if you have, say a $150k mortgage on a $200k house, do you have a net asset? Or is it two separate things - a $150k debt (which is 100% for sure) and a probable $200k asset (depending on what it would actually sell for)?

If it's the former I could see how people wouldn't necessarily think of a mortgage as debt, even if it's just creative accounting.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Barry posted:

I've never really thought about this - if you have, say a $150k mortgage on a $200k house, do you have a net asset? Or is it two separate things - a $150k debt (which is 100% for sure) and a probable $200k asset (depending on what it would actually sell for)?

If it's the former I could see how people wouldn't necessarily think of a mortgage as debt, even if it's just creative accounting.

If you live in it, it isn't an asset.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Tell that to the mortgage agent in 2005 when I was refinancing my house.

I had so many assets I didn't even know I had.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Isn't it an asset simply if you can sell it?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Solice Kirsk posted:

By that logic, is it also not a debt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Car derail is about 3rd place in the ranking of my favorite derails.
THAT BEING SAID...

Being bad with money regarding cars is one of the easiest ways to be bad with money. It's fine if you don't own any tools and never do any work on your own car, but it pays to have a basic understanding of how cars work and at least try to take care of the one you own. I'm still amazed at how many people don't understand basic poo poo like the fact that their car has a maintenance schedule. They just get an oil change every once in a while, then wonder why they have some massive repair bill when something significant on their car breaks. Then when something goes wrong they just wander in to whatever dealer or shop they find first and open their wallets up without asking questions...

Making smart $$ choices with cars is a great way to be GWM.

• Locked thread