Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

lol, im in the bc/dr industry

we do mostly bc though - but given what the consultants come around asking me for tips on their dr projects makes sense with what irridum just posted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
our disaster recovery plan was "mercurial is a distributed source control system so everything's fine" up until recently

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

things we did not have DR for -

- build servers, templates, etc.
- databases for the above
- test environments
- production environments
- test tools
- test corpus
- file servers
- vsphere
- netapp

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

but whats the plan when the company itself is the disaster

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i go in to some of our clients and talk about backup/dr and get told that the sales guy said none of that stuff was needed now that they managed to sell them the most basic tier of office 365. yes i work for morons.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Buff Skeleton posted:

my laptop doesn't have an asset tag

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Buff Skeleton posted:

You post in this thread and/or cjs

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

uncurable mlady posted:

my laptop doesn't have an asset tag

number 1 answer!

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Buff Skeleton posted:

Captain Foo posted:

My dr plan involves whiskey

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

mine involves gin and emptying the ridiculous artisan sparkling water tap we have

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
my DR plan involves a quantity of panic attacks proportional to how directly I caused the disaster

minivanmegafun posted:

mine involves gin and emptying the ridiculous artisan sparkling water tap we have
is it flavored sparkling water? I've found it's a dece replacement for a soda habit, but unflavored sparkling water is decidedly meh

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

"this time we introduce one system to replace three existing ones i swear we will only run all four alongside each other for a short transition period"

:whitewater:

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

our dr plan is basically "if the data center goes away it's the nuclear holocaust so who cares"

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Elysiume posted:

is it flavored sparkling water? I've found it's a dece replacement for a soda habit, but unflavored sparkling water is decidedly meh

diet soda is literally flavored sparkling water, optionally with caffeine

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JewKiller 3000 posted:

diet soda is literally flavored sparkling water, optionally with caffeine

he means sweetened vs just "essenced"

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
oh ok, he wants flavored seltzer but doesn't know the word for it. very well

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

JewKiller 3000 posted:

oh ok, he wants flavored seltzer but doesn't know the word for it. very well
seltzer and sparkling water are the same enough for me to use the terms interchangeably, la croix is sparkling water and other stuff I get is seltzer

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 28, 2016

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Elysiume posted:

seltzer and sparkling water are the same enough for me to use the terms interchangeably

it's yourself you have to convince, not me

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

sparkling water, soda water, and seltzer are all the same thing u fuckos

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i call coca cola lemonade a heuh ehuh

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

BiohazrD posted:

our dr plan is basically "if the data center goes away it's the nuclear holocaust so who cares"

that's what i used to tell them! nobody liked that tho.

we've since opened a second data center on the other side of the country where backups and, sometimes, cold standby servers / VMs are stored. but waaaaay more importantly, it's also not at all my loving problem anymore.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Elysiume posted:

ew no, lacroix is gross stuff

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

minivanmegafun posted:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

minivanmegafun posted:

actually its good

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mishaq posted:

actually its good

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

mishaq posted:

actually its good

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

yeah lime isn't the best flavor, you should try mango

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Iridium posted:

that's what i used to tell them! nobody liked that tho.

we've since opened a second data center on the other side of the country where backups and, sometimes, cold standby servers / VMs are stored. but waaaaay more importantly, it's also not at all my loving problem anymore.
I was at a kickoff meeting where they were explaining this same questionnaire being sent to our apps and departments, and I asked "well what made the office implode?" the guy said statistically speaking a natural disaster, and i asked if they are taking into account the lowered productivity

"What do you mean? I'm not understanding the question."

"Well, if a hurricane flattens or floods everything within 50 miles, I'm not showing up for work on Monday, I'm at what's left of my home dealing with my family. What about everyone else?"

"Uhhh staffing is out of scope of this DR plan"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

that's a nicer way of having to consider whatever flattens the datacenter also killing half your staff.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
My bespoke artisan water

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

that's a nicer way of having to consider whatever flattens the datacenter also killing half your staff.
Yep, but it still should be considered even if the conclusion is a single piece of paper with the words "we'd be hosed, lets hope it doesn't happen" on it

Like, we could have probably survived one of our 8 DCs but the home campus and its DC that manages it all? Nooooope

e: its it's or its' i should have paid more attention in school

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 28, 2016

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
consultants: you have no DR lol
trustees: guess we need DR
upper mgmt: labor, build us DR!
workers: uh its gonna be like 7 figures a year
upper mgmt: we're not paying for that, just make it work

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

graph posted:

consultants: you have no DR lol
trustees: guess we need DR
upper mgmt: labor, build us DR!
workers: uh its gonna be like 7 figures a year
upper mgmt: we're not paying for that, just make it work

This, but every project and technical undertaking ever discussed in a boardroom.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

My real DR plan involves a few servers backed up to AWS and then laughing because if we need them we've fallen into a sinkhole and cease to exist anyway

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
they were utterly perplexed, absolutely loving baffled, that moving just the domain controllers and basic auth stuff to AWS would cost around six figures a year

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
"upper management loves AWS until they get the first bill"

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

we have veeam copy our nightly backups over to a 2 disk NAS sitting on a shelf (10gb fiber link between dc and office)

of course since we are literally on the river any kind of disaster will result in the office flooding well before the DC

we also have a failover vpn concentrator and SBC/voip system here in the office, for some as yet unimagined scenario where the datacenter is offline but the catastrophe that caused it didnt effect us 4 miles away

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

dont get me wrong, its nice to be able to say "hey i asked for money to do these things and they actually said yes" but lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

graph posted:

"upper management loves AWS until they get the first bill"

Amazon probably uses all their compute resources to optimize billing. it looks so reasonable until you do some math

• Locked thread