Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

October 5th, 1986, 1:00 PM

BGM: Lure

"Of course, we understand. Still, as time passes, it'll get darker and darker out. It's probably at its brightest now. It's the most convenient time."
"Only about an hour has passed since Rosa-san was attacked. This is simply too reckless...!"

Certainly, on top of their fatigue, their hunger was tormenting them. In the beginning, a mild level of hunger had been just what they needed to fight off drowsiness. However, it now just made their minds hazy, since it was still only midday, and their bodies felt like they were reaching their limits. The thought of going to the kitchen in the mansion and bringing back some food certainly was attractive.

"I am opposed to this. It may be a little rough, but we definitely shouldn't leave this place."
"...Don't worry about us, but it would pain my heart to keep the children hungry... I must be responsible as a parent."
"D-Dear...! Now that Father is dead, you are the Ushiromiya Family Head. It is not permissible for you to take on such a danger...!"
"...You're right. It's like Natsuhi-san says. Krauss-san, you should remain here, as our leader."
"...Then who will go to the mansion?"
"I think it should be Kyrie and me, and Hideyoshi-san too. Hideyoshi-san and I have guns. They shouldn't be able to lay a hand on us that easily."
"Rosa-san also had a gun, but she was attacked. Won't it be dangerous?"
"...When I went out to check on Rosa and Maria-chan, I had a gun, but I was alone. And yet, I wasn't attacked. Maybe they'll be cautious if their opponent is a man."
"We'll have two men. And even two guns. Those two will act as guards, and I'll transport our cargo using a cart. I believe the situation will be significantly different than it was for Rosa-san."
"If you're countin' on me 'cause I'm a man, I'd be happy to help. I may not look it, but I'm built up pretty strong from pushin' food stands around. Leave the heavy liftin' to me!"
"You men can devote youselves to guarding. There's a folding cart in the servant room, and using that, I should be able to handle carrying the food. Of course, we'll be careful. And if we can succeed in this adventure just once, there won't be any need for us to take risks again."
"...Is there any way I can get you to rethink this? It may be painful for everyone to deal with empty stomachs, but even so, we do not know what is happening outside now..."
"We'll take care. And Eva's feelin' pretty darn bad right now. We can't let her stay hungry. If her stomach's empty, she can't take her medicine. I have to go out for Eva's sake as well."
"How is Eva?"
"Looks like she's finally gotten to sleep. She has a high fever. If we just leave her be for a while..."

"Then, we'll take a little trip there and back. A speed contest. Canned food's okay, right? You at least have a can opener here, don't you?"
"Y-Yes. We have a can opener and a bottle opener..."
"There's running water in the guesthouse, so we won't need anything to drink. We need to get ten people's worth, so no being picky about what you get."
"All right! Why don't we dash out and bring it back quickly? There's no time to open umbrellas...!"
"See you, Aniki. I'll trust you to look after this place."
"...Take care. Under normal circumstances, I'd want to go too. Being a man, I despise how this title of the oldest brother prevents me from lending a hand in an emergency like this."
"This is about the only time we get to show off. Sit back and take it easy every once in a while, Aniki. Okay, Natsuhi-san. Wait here and get some towels ready or something. We aren't using umbrellas, so we'll be soaked to the bone when we get back."
"U-Understood. Take care."

Rudolf, Kyrie, and Hideyoshi, each leaving their own brave words behind, left the lobby...

Rudolf's group of three people jogged through the rose garden without umbrellas, holding their guns and a folded cart. If everything had been still and quiet, without the wind and the rain, they would probably have kept their ears open and moved with caution. But in this rain, even if some suspicious person was hiding nearby, it would be difficult to notice them. Because of that, it had been Rudolf's plan to instead dash through the dangerous area.

...If there was a chance that their opponent was equipped with a gun, then walking slowly with their guard up would only make them targets. Taking swift action was probably the correct choice.

"Please, let nobody come out of there..."

Even as Rudolf and Hideyoshi continued to run, they looked around restlessly, vigilant of their surroundings. Rosa and Maria's deaths had not been caused by a projectile weapon. However, it was easy to suspect that the servants had been killed in such a manner. Will they come flying out of the dark? Or will they take careful aim and snipe from the shadows? Either way, they couldn't relax their tension for even an instant.

But even so, when they reached the overhang in front of the entrance to the mansion and escaped the reach of the raindrops, they felt themselves breathing a sigh of relief.

"No problems for the first step. Unlike how it was for Rosa-san. Maybe they can't get their hands on us easily."
"I'd like to believe that. Kyrie, unlock the door while we keep a lookout."
"Sure. Returning home to the mansion with a pair of SPs makes me feel just like an executive."
"Wahahahaha. If we had a welcoming party of servants with a red carpet, it'd be perfect."
"A welcoming party, huh? You never know. Be careful."

As the two cautiously surveyed their surroundings, Kyrie unlocked the entrance with the master key she had been given.

"It's open."
"Hideyoshi-san, could you take the front? I'll keep an eye on the rear."
"Understood. Kyrie-san, try not to move from my shadow. Okay, let's break in!"
"Rear guard, roger that. Covering...!"
"...Ah, men. Even in a situation like this, you're just playing around, aren't you?"

BGM: At Death's Door

...It felt like the air in the mansion was stagnant with a gloomy silence. And on top of that, it was still thick with the stench from Kinzo's burnt corpse in the boiler room, and they were struck with an uncontrollable desire to leave the mansion.

"No problems in the front. Just a short dash to the kitchen."
"Let's finish this quickly and head home. This suit'll get fumigated with Dad's stench."

The three of them dashed towards the kitchen...

BGM: The Candles Dance

"They were lured out just as planned... Just as planned, they got caught in my trap."

The witch grinned. Thinking about it now, no matter how unbearable their hunger had grown, it hadn't even been a few hours since Rosa and Maria had been attacked and had lost their lives.

In that case, why had they needed to recklessly leave the guesthouse...? Until that question could be dealt with, the only answer was that they had been called out by the witch's magic...

"What reckless people. They'll never leave this mansion alive."
"Seal yourself, lock. Seal yourself, mansion!"

The instant she proclaimed that... The mansion was sealed off into a separate world. Unless her barrier was undone, no longer would anyone be able to exit this mansion or enter it.

"Well, I have been a witch since the time of my birth. Who taught you how to blink? That's what using magic is like for me."
"...What a fearsome person."

The witch's face twisted with brutality. She just couldn't help looking forward to toying with someone's life again.

"...If you don't mind me saying, your Predecessor-sama has left instructions that you are to restrain yourself from committing murders of unnecessary cruelty. And, there is an etiquette for offering the sacrifices from the fourth twilight onwards. For that, you must borrow the power of the Seven Sisters of Purgatory."
"...Oh, really? Now that you mention it, that's right. I could only play as I like with that second twilight. Boring. Just when I thought I could play to my heart's content like I did with Rosa."
"...But, that only counts for how they're killed in the end, right?"
"Meaning...?"
"I could just kill them however I want over and over again, revive them, and then follow the epitaph during the last time I kill them, right?"
"...So, in the end, no matter how I play, it isn't a problem. Who'd act well-behaved with an entertaining power like this...?! Kuhhihihihihihihi!"

However, that referred to the way those people died in the end. In other words, in the process leading up to that, she was free to tease and kill them however she wanted. She just had to keep on reviving them... and follow the rules only when she killed them the final time. Though Ronove felt that her innocent cruelty was part of her talent as a witch, he was beginning to notice a innately brutal side of her.

"...They do say that apprentices are the most brutal of witches, and now I see this may be true. Do as you wish... is what I would like to say, but here, it may actually be wiser to show restraint. They have guns. Weapons with a high anti-magic power, such as guns, are the natural enemies of witches and demons."

The witch stared blankly at this demon butler, who was surprisingly afraid of guns.

"...That can't be right. Shouldn't witches be able to take a shot from a bullet easily?"
"No. It would be just as fatal for a witch as it would be for a normal Human. To prevent that weak point from being noticed, most witches rigorously strengthen their guard with a defense of protective barriers and furniture."
"Do I have any of those protective barrier things?"
"...Constructing a barrier to make even gun bullets ineffective requires much in the way of preparation and ceremonies. I am afraid to say that Beatrice-sama currently has none of those. Furthermore, you are currently ill prepared to summon furniture strong enough to block a bullet."
"So even though I've become a Great Witch with this much magical power, I really do have to be afraid of lead bullets. It's annoying, but I don't have a choice. So, in that case, should I call some furniture to act as my arms and legs?"
"Yes. Leaving everything to your servants while not exposing yourself to danger is also a part of a witch's refined tastes. Beatrice-sama, leave this to the furniture and hide in a safe place."
"...I get it. I call on the Seven Sisters of Purgatory. I don't care who, any two...!"

Leviathan and Belphegor responded to that call.

"Belphegor of Sloth, right here."
"Show me your power. Your targets are Rudolf and Kyrie. Don't attack Hideyoshi. Come on, show me just how cruel you can be, furniture."
"...My apologies, but we've received orders from the Predecessor-sama to refrain from unnecessarily cruel actions."
"Buuut, I think the Predecessor-sama's order does give us some leeway to tease them. Do you still wanna go through with it?"
"Hmph. I get it, I'll compromise. Don't let them die easily. Thoroughly corner them and let them taste the fear of death before killing them. Will that be okay, Ronove?"
"Yes. Depending on the degree, I do not believe there will be a problem."
"...Then, go!"
""Yes, leave it to us...!""
"Your opponents are armed with guns. For those such as you, dodging them should be easy, but if you are hit, the wound will be fatal. Proceed with an appropriate level of caution."
"Don't worry. We aren't that incompetent."

The two Sisters of Purgatory vanished. Ronove bowed and vanished himself.

As the witch looked up at the portrait of the Predecessor Beatrice hung in the hall, she cursed...

BGM: Scar Sound

Considering the possibility of poison, they gave up on the alluring fruits and vegetables... and gathered a whole cardboard box full of only the safe canned foods. It was very heavy, but by piling it on the cart, they could carry it well enough. This should be more than enough for ten people to hold out until tomorrow's breakfast. That should carry them until the boat arrives.

The two men were supposed to be focused solely on guard duty, but the weight of the load was tough on Kyrie even with the cart. Hideyoshi, who wanted to show off his power, switched to be the cart-pusher, and Rudolf and his wife took up the task of guard duty.

When Hideyoshi vigorously announced their departure, Kyrie frowned and seemed to be gazing into the distance. There was a wall in that direction. No, if her gaze could go through that, there was the main hall beyond it...

"...What is it, Kyrie?"
"...It's vague, but I've got a bad feeling gnawing at me."

Kyrie stopped walking and narrowed her eyes even further.

"...Women's intuition?"

At times like this, Kyrie's intuition often rang true, even when she didn't have a logical reason. Rudolf believed in that intuition.

"...Then there's no reason to go back the way we came. There's a back door over there, right? Let's leave that way."

Rudolf made to unlock the back door. When goods were carried into the kitchen, they never passed through the part of the mansion that the family came and went from. So outside the back door, there was probably a ramp used to carry things in. Surely, they would be able to leave through there with the cart.

"Can't you open it?"
"Nope. Is it broken? It isn't giving an inch..."

Rudolf tried various things, first using force, then coaxing it, but the lock was as hard as stone and didn't even budge.

"...Don't force it. Let's leave through the front entrance. Right now, it'll be even worse if we stand around wasting time."
"..."
"...You think this is a trap?"
"...I don't know. Be careful."

With strained expressions, the three of them returned to the hall again and headed for the entrance...

"Wh-Who is it?!!"

The instant they exited into the hall, Rudolf noticed a suspicious shadow right in front of them and yelled... In that instant, a storm of gold leaf started blowing, and gold butterflies covered the area with a gold color.

BGM: Dance of the Moon Rabbits

"I-It isn't my fault. I was hiding my presence...!"
"Don't hesitate!! Fire!!!"

The two guns spouted fire. The lead bullets blasted right through the magical defense of the pair as easily as though it were a wet paper wall, but the two figures that should have been there had disappeared. Certainly, guns were frightening objects for them... But there was no need to fear as long as they weren't hit. They at least had enough speed to dodge those.

"Wait a sec! You won't even give us a chance to say our names?! This is why I hate Humans!"

Leviathan was a full 10 meters from where she had supposedly been, popping her head out from behind the pillars in the shadow of the staircase and protesting.

That voice came from overhead. Belphegor could be seen on top of the hall chandelier. Elegantly looking down upon them, she proclaimed their execution with a cruel smile.

"...Wh-What are these girls...?!"
"Forget the cart!! We have two opponents, so if we split up, they can't chase all of us!"

All three of them were well acquainted with the inside of the mansion. In case of a crisis, they had planned to run off in separate directions, returning to the guesthouse by breaking windows or leaving through a back door. Fighting was forbidden. As long as they could fully escape.

"Hahaha, in a tight spot, escaping is victory...!"

The three of them ran into the depths of the mansion at full tilt. That pair of furniture calmly watched them go.

BGM: Worldend Dominator

"Understood."

The furniture in the shadows of the pillars and on the chandelier made their figures explode, and, leaving behind only the sound of a hopping beetle knocking against the wall, they pursued their respective targets. Their speed was overwhelming, and they easily blocked the others' paths of retreat.

"Beatrice-sama, it may not be prudent for you to reveal your form unnecessarily..."
"And you don't unnecessarily move your king away from the center. That's part of a monarch's... and a witch's dignity!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

ProfessorProf posted:

"Hideyoshi-san, could you take the front? I'll keep an eye on the rear."
"Understood. Kyrie-san, try not to move from my shadow. Okay, let's break in!"
"Rear guard, roger that. Covering...!"
"...Ah, men. Even in a situation like this, you're just playing around, aren't you?"

You know, there is something oddly charming about Rudolph. We don't know a lot about him and I'm sure, as this game's been going, we'll learn some other stuff about how awful he is (which will probably be related to why Battler has such... complicated feelings about him), but moments like this are sort of :3: .

Well, this needs a little more setup to make a mystery, because as it is now, it's kind of easy to explain: if Eva is resting by herself, she could have gone to the mansion and doesn't really have an alibi otherwise, and if Dr. Nanjo was watching her, the argument might be made that he was an accomplice... or perhaps that Hideyoshi killed both Kyrie and Rudolph. The weird part is why Kyrie came up with this idea- she gave the impression that it was more than hunger pangs why she wanted to go outside, like maybe to investigate Rosa's murder scene or something. So that's a little weird.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
drat, Kyrie has a good gut instinct if she can sense an ambush like that. But I want to argue that perhaps it may not be Eva who's going to be the killer of Rudolf and Kyrie. She might actually be really sick, due to a poison in the gold, or just plain bad timing. Dr. Nanjo may be the one to look out for here. Battler already made the argument that Hideyoshi was behind Rosa and Maria, but Ronovoe and Beato discussed amongst themselves that he was innocent, at least that time.

Also, agreeing with resurgam40 that Rudolf is really :3: here. But from what I can infer, given the information that's been given to us, Battler's really angry with his dad because he thinks Rudolf was having an affair with Kyrie while his mother was still alive. The timing of their marriage was really... poor, in his defense.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Even if it's an impossible occurrence, Kyrie definitely brings something that makes me want to root for her.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

bman in 2288 posted:

drat, Kyrie has a good gut instinct if she can sense an ambush like that. But I want to argue that perhaps it may not be Eva who's going to be the killer of Rudolf and Kyrie. She might actually be really sick, due to a poison in the gold, or just plain bad timing. Dr. Nanjo may be the one to look out for here. Battler already made the argument that Hideyoshi was behind Rosa and Maria, but Ronovoe and Beato discussed amongst themselves that he was innocent, at least that time.

Also, agreeing with resurgam40 that Rudolf is really :3: here. But from what I can infer, given the information that's been given to us, Battler's really angry with his dad because he thinks Rudolf was having an affair with Kyrie while his mother was still alive. The timing of their marriage was really... poor, in his defense.

It's easy to forget, but Kyrie also had a kid with Rudolf very shortly after Asumu died. Very shortly. The exact period of time between the death of Asumu and the birth of Kyrie's daughter is unclear, but pretty much everyone in the family got a poor impression of Rudolf from it.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Yeah, I thought it might be exactly that from the first episode. I didn't know about the dates of Anya's birth, but little things, like the uncharacteristically stilted, forced way Battler interacted with Kyrie, pointed me in that direction. It kinda fits Rudolph's character as presented, too- as charming but somewhat impulsive and immature. Much like, I would imagine, an adult Battler. :kimchi:

bman in 2288 posted:

Like U said, it would depend on how strong Eva's alibi is, and who's watching her; I don't deny that she really might be sick (from poison or whatever, but are we really saying that Kinzo protects his gold with poison? Surely most poisons are recognizable in gaseous form, yes?), but her being alone so much-as well as her... connection with Beatrice this time around make her a suspect I really like. Nanjo is suspicious too, as none of his alibis so far have been particularly airtight. It probably wasn't Hideyoshi last time, I guess I agree, but possibly this time? We'll have to see.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I actually think there's decent odds Eva Beatrice picks Eva as one of the sacrifices this go around, because she's really chafing around her restrictions and wants to leave behind her humanity.

Or rather, that's the explanation we'll see, and the reality will be the actual murderer going after Eva for other reasons. Because witches aren't real, -uu-.

Oh, and when Kyrie senses the ambush and Rudolf calls it women's intuition. Ahaha, what adorable sexism. I do wonder what Kyrie's deal is - maybe we'll find out on some other iteration.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I'm glad everyone agrees Kyrie is the best, and that her and Rudolf make the best couple. Just to make her cooler, she's actually voiced by the same VA as Motoko Kusanagi of Ghost in the Shell. Rudolf is similarly voiced by the dub VA for Jack Bauer of 24.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Kyrie is amazing, but it's too amazing. I feel like the story is going to end with her unveiled as the real killer. She's the only "family" that's an outsider, and has shown a high degree of intelligence. She's the new element basically.

Of course watch me fall flat on my face with this guess and it turn out that Maria's dad did it all along, and Maria is really robot.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

:siren:Video: Sloth and Envy:siren:

BGM: Worldend Dominator

"It's useless to try and resist or escape. You don't need to think about anything."
"Just close your eyes. I'll gently end it all for you."

"To think you're still relaxed enough to speak with such insolence at a time like this...!"
"Beatrice-sama, thank you for this excellent prey! Die!!!"

Rudolf shot first. But even before that bullet could hit her, Belphegor had already moved behind Rudolf's back. She then raised a purple curve springing out from her arm...

The barrel remained pointing behind his back...from the same motion with which he had reloaded the sawed-off gun one-handedly. It was pointing right at Belphegor's chest...

*click*, *cha-clunk*...! It was the sound of the ejected empty cartridge finally hitting the wall after the reload. In other words, it meant that the next shot was already fully loaded. Without turning around, his gun pointing right at Belphegor's chest, Rudolf grinned.

"...Not bad... ...For a middle-aged man...!!"
"Don't look down on the generation that loves old Westerns, okay? You brats don't know anything about the refinement of a lever-action."

Just like Rudolf, Kyrie was also confronting a demon stake in the first floor corridor.

"Don't worry. This kind of thing is my husband's specialty. I'm sure he'll come for me on a white horse soon. Because he's never failed to come and save me when I'm in trouble. Not even when Asumu-san was around. Heheh."
"Heheheheheheheh! What a happy couple. I'm jealous. I am Leviathan of Envy...! Envy itself is my power. My anger, my lifeblood!"
"I agree. Envy is the source of a woman's power. And if that is power, I won't lose to a girl like you."
"Hahhahahahahahahahaha! Imagine saying that to the one who governs envy! You actually think I'd let you two be reunited...?!! Ahhahahahaha, I'll give you a tragic farewell!!"

The arm Leviathan swung was trailed by a purple curve. It was a magic blade that cut with the power of malice.

Even though the magic blade should have cut through the metal like butter, the 'gun', with its extremely high magic resistance power, was able to block the blade as easily as if it were a rolled up newspaper. Rapidly, two times, three times. It blocked all of them. And, without missing the opening created when that purple curve took a swing upward, Kyrie kicked Leviathan in the stomach with her heel.

Leviathan was knocked away like a lightly dancing feather. Before the demon stake's feet touched ground again... Kyrie was already pointing her gun directly at Leviathan in midair. From that position, the two women who had called envy a form of power met each other's gaze.

Rudolf tumbled down the staircase. He'd been gradually cornered by Belphegor... and had been pushed back into the main hall they'd started from.

"...The Predecessor-sama's furniture is pretty good. They aren't very flashy though!"
"Beatrice-sama...! It isn't over yet, and it's dangerous to show yourself...!"
"...Don't tell me you're... Eva?"

"You don't have to tell me. You're gonna say you're the Golden Witch, Beatrice, right?"
"Ehheheheheh, ahhahahahaha! How did you know?"
"...Since the time Rosa was killed, I had a vague idea... Rosa, forgive me. Forgive me for sending the sister you hated down to the hell you're in...!!"
"Beatrice-sama, look out!!!"

She dashed, disappeared, and headed for Rudolf's back... She dodged that shot and again headed for Rudolf's back... And vanished over and over, instantly moving into Rudolf's blind spots. It was almost like she was a fairy. As she blinked in and out of vision, Belphegor incessantly drove towards Rudolf.

"Maybe this is kinda fun. Rudolf, let me sit back and watch to see how long your brave efforts last you. *cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*!"

At that time, there was a dull tearing sound, along with Rudolf's cry of anguish. Rudolf's reaction to the dance of the purple curve that pressed upon him had finally been too slow, and he'd let it lightly cut his flank. That single wound slowed him down just once. That led to a new wound, which slowed his actions again. Belphegor's dance began to swallow Rudolf whole...

Watching Rudolf's body gradually get carved up, his former sister let out a shrill laugh.

"...I really am a moron. Among the Seven Sisters, I was always the slowest to grow. I was always slow, always weak, always stupid."
"...That inferiority complex became envy, and when I convert that into power, I gain a strength greater than that of any of the sisters."
"It's important for young girls to have a moderate inferiority complex. It teaches women about cosmetics and hard work."
"I don't like having to use the limits of my power against mere Humans... but I can turn my envy of your ability to trust completely in your husband into power. I don't like it. Why are you so relaxed when you're fighting for your life?"
"...*giggle* I wonder?"
"...I get it. You're fully convinced that your husband will come to your rescue and save you."
"...Isn't it incredible, that trust of yours? It's enough to make me jealous."

The sisters are always looking down on each other, trying to thoroughly lambast each other when things already look bad...!

"...So when I see you with a single ally who's completely trustworthy, I feel the strongest envy... Aaah, that confident expression of utter belief in your husband...! I can feel it giving me power...!! I might even exceed it. The speed of sound!!!"

Leviathan turned herself into a stake, and the speed of her flight as she attacked was proportional to the strength of her envy.

The demon stake exposed her true form, leaping about at a terrible speed. The noise from her bouncing off the walls sounded like a machine gun. By now, Kyrie probably couldn't tell if it was a single stake or a swarm of beetles flying and bouncing around. Leviathan was over 100% certain of her victory, believing in it from the bottom of her heart...!

Then, Kyrie spoke with an unbelievably calm voice.

"...I don't blame Rudolf-san. That woman used her body as a weapon to seduce him, and then acted even more repulsively, cornering Rudolf-san and forcing him to get engaged to her."

"Then, Asumu-san gave birth to Battler-kun... But I had a miscarriage. I think about it, sometimes. What if Asumu-san had had the miscarriage... and I had been the one to give birth? Would Rudolf-san have broken off his engagement and married me? But I couldn't give birth to my child. So until Asumu-san died, and until I got pregnant with Ange, I cursed Asumu-san and was jealous."

Then, I want him to marry me. In my envy, I kept cursing like that, over and over, until Asumu-san finally died. I was certain. I was certain that I'd used the power of magic to curse and kill Asumu-san. But that didn't quell the flames of my envy.

Don't tell anyone, okay? Every time I look at Battler-kun, I remember that woman. Every single time I look at him, I think that if only my child had been born, he would be the same age. I'm still jealous of her, tormented by her. Even now, and from now on. Into the future, for all eternity.

"...Th-That's right..."

"...U-Uuowaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!!!!"

If Leviathan had the power of 24 hours x 7 days, or 168 hours of speed... Then the power that Kyrie had piled up... was 24 hours in 1 day, 365 days in 1 year, and 18 whole years... Even without counting leap years, that was 157680 hours. Compared to Leviathan's power and speed, it was more than 938 times greater.

So then, so then, 1225/938 is... a speed of... 1.30 km/h. This is almost the same speed as a baby crawling on the floor. Which means, which means, which means...!

In the time it took the demon stake to move at a pace so slow that you could count all the bits of dust floating through the air, Kyrie looked at it with pity. She pitied the slowness at which it came towards her. Then, she lazily raised the barrel of her gun. Almost as though she was trying to swallow the demon stake up with the gun barrel.

"You're completely lacking in both romance and envy."

"...Nng, drat it..."
"I'm surprised you managed to endure this long after being carved up."
"...That's enough. From now on, you don't need to think about anything. I'll steal away your life painlessly...!"
"Wait, there's a favor I wanna ask. At the very end, I wanna do one of those..."
"...What do you mean, one of those?"
"You know, that thing you see in all the Westerns. We start with our backs together, walk three steps, and then *bang*."

Rudolf moved his wound-covered body and turned his back to her. Belphegor responded and turned her back to his. Belphegor had an honest nature that was uncommon in a witch's furniture.

"Let me warn you. Even if you press the barrel of your gun between my eyebrows, I can move instantaneously, even faster than you could pull the trigger and have the bullet reach my skull."
"...Yeah, I can feel that already. You're faster than a bullet."

"...Well, you're an honest and principled person. And a good woman. You might just steal my heart away."
"Let's begin. Three steps will do fine, yes? First, one step."
"...Two steps."
"...Three steps. Is that okay?"

"What...?! Ah...!"

Rudolf turned around and fired a bullet. However, Belphegor could easily see through the speed and trajectory of a bullet like that. It should have been no problem at all to dodge it.

But a spray of fresh blood flew about. Belphegor had set up an adequate magical defensive barrier. But before an incarnation of anti-magic power such as that bullet, it was completely meaningless.

The bullet had hit Belphegor right in the chest. The pain from the lead caused her to grimace, as did the pain from the denial of magic...

"...Forgive me. I'm a coward of a man."
"...Nnnggg... ggghh..."
"Wh-What a killjoy. To think that furniture of a witch could be defeated by a Human...!"
"Know your shame. Worthless, pathetic...! Why don't you just stay sprawled there and die forever?!"
"...Quit it, Aneki. She could've dodged it. But she didn't."

"...S-Spectacular..."
"Don't hate me for it. I planned to resign if you noticed it while you were taking those three steps."
"...You added those three steps... out of consideration... for me, didn't you...?"
"...I didn't even try to think about it. I... was... lazy..."
"...You were a good woman. Go to heaven before me and get yourself all made up. I'll definitely come and chat you up."

As Belphegor slowly fell over, she lost even the power that kept her in human form, and she grew small, like gold dust, melting into thin air...

At that point, Kyrie dashed in. It seemed that she had somehow defeated her pursuer by her own hands. As she pointed the barrel of her gun straight at the witch, she ran up to the wound-covered Rudolf.

"...Are you okay? Were you chatting someone up just now?"
"Yep, a good woman. No match for you, of course."

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 30, 2016

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Holy poo poo.

I thought Kyrie was the other woman, but it seemed it was the other way around at the start - also did they just put down both stakes? Impressive.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It's happened. Someone managed to beat the Stakes. :supaburn:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
:magical:

Holy poo poo, Kyrie and Rudolf. On multiple levels, just holy poo poo.

Oh, I do want to mention that I'm going to remain a little suspicious of Kyrie, considering that it's just her side/version of the story. But regardless, this really puts her relationship with Battler in a new (horrifying) light.

bman in 2288 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 28, 2016

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I love that Kanon could barely even beat Lucifer despite having a magic sword, but all Rudolf and Kyrie need are their guns and badass attitudes.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

To be fair, Leviathan is apparently powered by something that Kyrie simply possessed in far, FAR greater amounts, and Rudolf won simply by shooting at someone other than Belphegor. Kyrie's win was fully legitimate, but Rudolf's was purely because Eva Beatrice is an arrogant bitch and stayed in a dangerous area.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Out of fairness to Rudolf, Belphegor really should have noticed that Evatrice was right behind her. She got arrogant and realized too late.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

lotus circle posted:

Out of fairness to Rudolf, Belphegor really should have noticed that Evatrice was right behind her. She got arrogant and realized too late.

Not arrogant - she got too lazy to think the situation through.

She is, after all, Belphegor the Slothful.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

ProfessorProf posted:

"...So when I see you with a single ally who's completely trustworthy, I feel the strongest envy... Aaah, that confident expression of utter belief in your husband...! I can feel it giving me power...!! I might even exceed it. The speed of sound!!!"

Leviathan turned herself into a stake, and the speed of her flight as she attacked was proportional to the strength of her envy.

You can tell this is an anime fight, because right after she says this, Kyrie has time to tell her life story before Leviathan even notices something's wrong. (This is also how you know it's fake, of course, like all things relating to witches.)

ProfessorProf posted:

Then, I want him to marry me. In my envy, I kept cursing like that, over and over, until Asumu-san finally died. I was certain. I was certain that I'd used the power of magic to curse and kill Asumu-san. But that didn't quell the flames of my envy.

Don't tell anyone, okay? Every time I look at Battler-kun, I remember that woman. Every single time I look at him, I think that if only my child had been born, he would be the same age. I'm still jealous of her, tormented by her. Even now, and from now on. Into the future, for all eternity.

"...Th-That's right..."

ProfessorProf posted:

"...S-Spectacular..."
"Don't hate me for it. I planned to resign if you noticed it while you were taking those three steps."
"...You added those three steps... out of consideration... for me, didn't you...?"
"...I didn't even try to think about it. I... was... lazy..."
"...You were a good woman. Go to heaven before me and get yourself all made up. I'll definitely come and chat you up."

I almost wish these were real, though, because god drat. I mean, these people are still totally dead, but really, good show.

bman in 2288 posted:

But regardless, this really puts her relationship with Battler in a new (horrifying) light.

She seems to realize that it's not Battler's fault. It's just that on some level, it's hard not to remember the history when she sees him. Frankly, I'm impressed their relationship isn't much worse.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

:allears: :allears: :allears: :allears: :allears:

Regardless of whether witches are real or not (they're not), this is an amazing sequence.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Robindaybird posted:

Holy poo poo.

I thought Kyrie was the other woman, but it seemed it was the other way around at the start - also did they just put down both stakes? Impressive.

Remember that we have only her word for it that Asumu "stole" Rudolph; the most telling part of that for me is, she's not even considering that Asumu actually loved Rudolph or that the feeling was reciprocated. She doesn't even seem to mind that he flirts, such is the level of her obsession that she thinks she is the only one in his eyes, that he'll always come back even when he goes philandering. If what she says is true, though... that means Rudolph committed adultery with a capital A, as the bible had it- to not keep a helpmeet in your heart. Just imagining how all this looks to Battler is painful... I wonder if he'll ever talk about his side of all this.

And I wonder if we'll ever see Battler die, given that we now have a primo suspect with a compelling motive. RedMagus posted before this update that Kyrie is an outsider, but it seems to me that, depending on the demons Nanjo has in his closet, the only "outsider" to the family here is Battler.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

Accept that Magic is real and let Best Mom and Best Dad into your hearts.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Oh, yeah, Kyrie's version here is skewed as hell. The facts appear to be that Rudolph got two women pregnant at the same time and married one of them. The rest is her interpretation of those facts. Kyrie even said that Rudolph would "run to her rescue" even when his wife was still around; in other words, he basically had her as a mistress the whole time (regardless of whether they were actually officially having sex, although the implication I get from this is that they were). Nobody seemed to be happy about this arrangement except Rudolph. It's understandable why Battler hates his guts now, assuming he found some of this out.

Of course, Kyrie has to blame Asumu rather than Rudolph for all this, because if she doesn't do that she can't stay with Rudolph. It's amazing what people will do and how they'll rationalize everything to keep the universe inside their heads the way they want it. (And the author appears to have a good understanding of how it works; maybe the social work experience people mentioned coming in again.)

It's also weird how many people on this loving island think they're witches.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

idonotlikepeas posted:

It's also weird how many people on this loving island think they're witches.

That's because witches are both A) Cool, and B) Real. :colbert:

So of course everybody wants to be one.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
This is neat and all, but we all know it's just going to result in "Hideyoshi heard gunshots while escaping with a cart, armed couple found dead. News at 1:00(or was it 2:00?)." Although I must admit I was tempted to add DESTROYED over that last screenshot.

Ismene
Apr 26, 2012
Pillbug
There's no need to hope that that scene happened. Magic is real, thus all of this absolutely happened. Turns out most of the Ushiromiya family are badasses, who knew?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Can someone who is already spoiled bring up some relevant Kyrie art? I think I want an avatar of her at this point but I can't go looking.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I love how it drops Kyrie's big reveal and then immediately goes into pro wrestling math.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

curiousCat posted:

Can someone who is already spoiled bring up some relevant Kyrie art? I think I want an avatar of her at this point but I can't go looking.

Linked in witch chat:

From the manga (spoilers for my next manga highlights post):

Dunno about more avatar-friendly stuff.

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

curiousCat posted:

Assuming you mean "18 years of Envy" Kyrie, I can probably find some more.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Wow. Just caught up on the last 5 updates and that sure went places. No real coherent thoughts, except that I just hope Kyrie isn't the killer. She's too cool.

resurgam40 posted:

And I wonder if we'll ever see Battler die, given that we now have a primo suspect with a compelling motive. RedMagus posted before this update that Kyrie is an outsider, but it seems to me that, depending on the demons Nanjo has in his closet, the only "outsider" to the family here is Battler.

I still like the "Battler's the Killer" theory conceptually, I just don't think it works in practice. He has alibis with the other cousins too often for it to work out.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 28, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

halfhazardKnight posted:

There's no need to hope that that scene happened. Magic is real, thus all of this absolutely happened. Turns out most of the Ushiromiya family are badasses, who knew?

Well, so far we've seen that Krauss is bad and also an rear end, I guess that counts.

Sindai posted:

I love how it drops Kyrie's big reveal and then immediately goes into pro wrestling math.

You got a 25% chance, at best, at beat Kyrie! Then you add Rudolf Ushiromiya to the mix, you chance of winning, drastic go down!

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

"...Worthless furniture. To think they'd be beaten by Human opponents. Worthless. Stupid. Boring...!"
"Beatrice-sama, we should retreat for now. There is no furniture or barrier to guard against bullets here."
"Eheheheh, *cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*!"

The witch began to let out a muffled laugh. It surprised not only Rudolf and Kyrie, but Ronove as well. Because a situation like this, with two guns pointed at her, was not one that even a witch could just laugh off. But the witch laughed with pleasure.

As she said that, she looked down at Belphegor's remains, which had already finished turning into a pile of gold dust, with disgust.

"I don't know what you're talking about. Be a good girl and put your hands up."

Then, the witch obediently raised her hands. But instead of raising her hands because a gun was being pointed a her, it looked more like she was a conductor facing an orchestra, waving her conductor's baton.

:siren:Video: Next-Generation Furniture:siren:

BGM: Dance of the Moon Rabbits

"Stop this bizarre act...! I'll pull the trigger..."

In response to the witch's call, the hall was once again buried with the color of gold. As the brilliantly radiant gold butterflies danced, it felt as though they were being sucked into an ocean of gold leaf. Ronove was shocked at that upsurge in magical power... After all, it far surpassed that of his former master.

As their eyes were dazzled amidst this golden flash, a gunshot could be heard. Either Rudolf or Kyrie had fired a round. Then, when the golden flash subsided, at the very least the witch was standing there, looking cool and composed. The bullet? Kyrie must have fired it into her. But the witch had not been hit anywhere on her body.

"...A-A bullet-proof barrier...!"

In an instant, a barrier that would require a significant amount of preparation even for the Predecessor had been... Ronove's face was twisted in shock. And, the surprises did not end there...

The cloud of gold butterflies had created two humanoid forms.

The butterflies peeled off and flew away, and beneath them, furniture in the shape of girls showed themselves.

"...The Chiester Sisters Corps... Even the Predecessor... wasn't able to summon Pendragon's Memorial Troops on a moment's notice, and to do it so easily...!"

"...You two are suitable furniture for me, I take it?"
"From reading a picture book out aloud, to going on a date, to shooting down meteorites, we'll take care of anything. Nihihi."
"I-If we don't take care of it, Pendragon-sama will get mad at us...! Please, your orders, Great Lady Beatrice!"
"...Rudolf-san, let's run for it. We're no match for these ones...!"
"...S-Sure!"

Kyrie definitely heard warning sirens going off in her head, thanks to the same feeling that had alerted her to the ambush by the Seven Sisters of Purgatory. Without hesitation, they escaped. As the witch elegantly watched them leave, she commanded her new furniture.

"...This is an order. Kill the two who ran away. Then bring the corpses back here. I'll bring 'em back to life and play with them over and over. *cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*!!"

The witch's expression twisted into an evil smile. Even though she feared that expression, Lucifer appeared and spoke.

When the witch stared at her with those terrifying eyes, Lucifer was struck dumb. She was frustrated. It was so boring, not being able to let her own power and cruelty run wild. This annoying furniture of the Predecessor kept telling her to show restraint, bringing her irritation to a peak.

"Oh, it's Lucifer the Proud. Long time no see nyeh, how ya doin'? Let's play together again sometime. Nihhihihihihihi!"
"Y-You mustn't chat, 410, you'll get in trouble...! Let us carry out the Great Lady Beatrice's order at once...!"
"Nihi. Well, yeah, we are on the job right now nyeh."

"Lucifer-chan, better get out from behind us, or you'll get roasted by the backblast. Nihi!"
"...Nng..."

Thanks to their paired measurements, the Chiester Sisters were able to instantly calculate the terrain throughout the mansion and the coordinates of their targets, as well as a firing curve to reach them. That's right, their shots could be guided to follow a curved line. None could escape. The precision guidance used by the Seven Sisters of Purgatory was nothing more than a cheap knockoff of the ability these two held.

As the two of them faced each other, it was as though they were both pulling back a bowstring together... A dazzling gold arrow was readied there.

After giving that announcement, they released a single arrow together. As the path taken by the gold-sparkling snake of light drew a curve, it followed the direction that Rudolf and Kyrie had escaped to in rapid pursuit. It turned through the corridors, crawled over the floor, chasing them as it drew a beautiful curve.

No one could block the guided shots of the Chiester Sisters. No one could escape from them. And their strength could pierce all physical and magical defenses... It was quite a merciless guided weapon of certain death. However, among mythical-class soldiers, it was a weapon used by pretty much everyone. It was very commonplace for them... and very extraordinary for those of the everyday world.

"Wh-What the...?!"

When he noticed something rapidly chasing them and turned around...

"R-Rudolf-san...?!"

After the gold snake pierced Rudolf, it swooped down to the floor, drawing a beautiful spiral, coiled itself around Kyrie's legs, and crawled up to her chest. And just like Rudolf, it pierced the exact location of her heart.

So they died, dropped to their knees, and fell over at almost the exact same time.

"Come on, bring their corpses here. I'll keep reviving them until I'm bored, and I'll try killing them in as brutal a way as I can think of. Aaah, to think being a witch could be so much fun, that taking a life could be so much fun, ahhahahahahahahahahahaha!"

...From the time humans are born, the most shunned action they can take is the murder of another human. It's only natural that humans can't understand how pleasurable it can be to break this taboo. But she was no longer a Human. She was a witch. And there were some pleasures that only witches could understand. By now, she had tasted those pleasures... and was totally immersed in them. After learning that the contents of the forbidden pot were honey, she could no longer live without them... No, maybe the contents were honey because they were forbidden.

Anyway, by killing Humans gruesomely, and doing it over and over, she could feel the drug-like pleasure even now. As the witch rolled over laughing, the gold snake that had just been shot returned as though being reeled in. At the tips, two people were pinned and dragged along. The witch's order had been fulfilled. Rudolf and Kyrie had been killed instantly, and their corpses had been carried back.

"Chiesters 45 and 410, Order Execution Complete. We await your next order, Great Lady Beatrice. Please, your orders...!"
"From babysitting, to playing online games with you, to shooting down a space shuttle, we'll take care of everything. Nihihi!"
"...It looks like these two are the sacrifices for the fourth and fifth twilights. So in the end, I'll need those worthless Seven Sisters... or are they the Five Sisters now? I need those guys to pierce and gouge the forehead and the chest."
"...But I can do that at the very end, and I'm free to play in any way I want until then, right? Heheheheheheheheheh!"

BGM: Organ Short #200 Million in C Minor

"Oh, it's you, Predecessor-sama. Do you have any complaints?"
"Of course I do...! You're doing whatever you please, aren't you?! Why haven't you followed my directions?!"
"What's wrong with doing as I please, Predecessor-sama? Anyway, I don't plan on deviating from the rules of the ceremony in the slightest."
"I'll definitely clean these two corpses up later and drive stakes into their forehead and chest."
"I'm telling you, that is not the problem...! If you act so undignified and cruel... umm, some people might take it badly..."

"...D-drat that blabbermouth. Well, to be perfectly honest, that's how it is. If you go a little too far... umm, that person will object, you see?"
"Why can't this person just complain to me directly, instead of making you take a message? That coward."
"...Well, this is a resident of a different world from yours. There's no choice but to use me as an intermediary. Well, that's beside the point but-"
"...Which means that this person couldn't interact with me even if they wanted to. And I can't interact with them even if I want to either. Simply put, this is a completely unrelated person from a world that distant, right?"
"I-Indeed. For example, perhaps you could say these worlds are like very close parallel lines. The distance between them is quite small, but because the lines are parallel, they will never cross. For now, that should be a convenient way for you to view that world."
"They never cross. Which means... that world has nothing to do with me. If you're speaking for that person when you tell me to show restraint, please pass this message on to them."
"To them? What should I say...?"

BGM: Golden Sneer

"...Wha..."
"...Oh, I'm sorry. Since it was a friend of yours, I just assumed she'd be a woman."
"By 'old hag', I'm definitely not talking about you, Predecessor-sama, so please don't get mad at me. *cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*!"

When she spoke, the witch was looking straight into Beato's eyes. Anyone present would be able to tell what she meant by it.

"Well, as to that, it's because making all humans accept the existence of witches is a prerequisite of perfect control. There was a single holdout who simply wouldn't accept me as a witch."
"...Why would you need the approval of a Human? Witches are witches and can use magic, so why should we need to be acknowledged by Humans?"
"...Nnn... Well, like I said earlier, magic is..."
"I am a witch. I can use magic without anyone's approval in particular, so what's your point...?"
"In this world, right? However, since that person won't accept it, umm... nnnnn, how should I explain it..."
"...I don't need you to. After all, isn't all this about a different world that never crosses this one? In other words, that world might as well not exist."
"...You fighting a game in another world is absolutely no different from you telling me about stuff from your imagination. I'll say it again. It has nothing to do with me. And, I am already a witch."
"Predecessor-sama, somehow or another, it seems that you can't become a witch as long as this person doesn't acknowledge you, but I'm different. Even though no one has acknowledged me, I'm an excellent witch already. Since you are my predecessor, I will formally pay you respect, but that's out of kindness, not out of duty. I won't ask for your advice anymore... because I clearly know what I should do and how I should play from now on. So I will carry out the murder of 13 people as a final act of respect for you. However, there is absolutely no reason for you to interfere with the methods I use... or what I do afterwards. Therefore, I'll be counting on you in that regard."

...She was no longer under Beato's care in any way. That's why she was clearly saying nothing more than 'Don't get in the way of my fun'. Beato understood that... and was dejected, realizing that no matter how she explained it, she wouldn't be able to make the witch understand.

"...I... I see... Then it is no longer my problem... Go and learn with your own body how magic ceases to exist when you lose your respect for it."
"...I wish you'd tell me where the respect was in that carefree rampage of yours up until now."

After hearing that, Beato could not respond. Because she remembered hearing exactly the same thing from her teacher.

"Okay now. Chiester Sisters? See off my predecessor on her way back."
"Nihihihihi. Predecessor-sama, please leave this place."
"I-If you don't, we'll be scolded...!"

Most likely, they were initiating firing calculations. It was an action much like taking out a gun and cocking it. Even Beato could not escape from the Chiester Sisters' attacks without any preparation. In the past, she had placed her greatest trust in them, so she knew how terrifying they were down to her very soul.

"...Predecessor-sama, if you would retire. I would not recommend damaging Beatrice-sama's mood any further."
"...Predecessor-sama..."
"...I-I understand. I shall leave for now. I'll watch over the end you eventually reach at my leisure!"

It was almost infinitely close to a parting shot. So, after Beato vanished, the witch and her furniture doubled over laughing...

BGM: Mother

"...It must have been quite fun, judging by your antics in the past."
"Are you saying... it's just like when you tried to admonish me in the past, over and over, and I did not listen...?"
"...Why have you started trying to scold that child for her actions?"
"Nnn, umm, well..."
"...There's a single large difference between you and that child. That child may already be a witch. Of course, you are also a witch. At least, in the world on top of the game board. However, to be acknowledged as a witch in the world outside the game board, you need to have Battler-kun, your opponent in this game, acknowledge you. You must have understood that when you started the game."
"...I thought that if I could show off a whirlwind of proof that I am a witch, blow away his desire to deny me, and make him surrender, he would acknowledge me as a witch. It all went my way last time, so I thought I was just a breath away..."

"...In your foolishness, you probably felt that Battler-kun's acceptance of his role as your opponent was a first step towards making him acknowledge you as a witch. However, it was actually the opposite. Battler-kun challenged you in this game because he was absolutely determined not to acknowledge you. No matter how hard the thoughtless north wind blows, the traveler only wears his cloak even tighter. You were committing a huge error from the very beginning."
"...This game is not torture to make Battler-kun surrender. It is a test, in which you must try to make Battler-kun accept you."
"...Uu... I've vaguely... noticed that..."
"The last game was a tough one for Battler. But, as it seems you've already noticed, this game is a tough one for you."
"Wh-What should I do from now on?"
"Think about it for yourself. Fortunately, you have already given up your pieces on the game board to the new witch. You should have plenty of time to reflect upon your owns self."
"...But Battler's already a mass of hostility to me. He won't accept witches, so he won't accept me. In that case, what can I do to make him accept me...? Are you saying that if the north wind doesn't work, then I should shine on him as the sun from now on...? Me, after all this time...?"
"It's October now. The Halloween season. It's the month of rebirth, when the sun dies and is revived again. When the sun is weak right after reviving, it may not reach far through the cold winter winds. However, it slowly grows... and is eventually able to hail the coming of spring. At that time, the traveler may even fold up his cloak."

BGM: Corridor of the Sands of Purgatory

The number of deaths given to Rudolf and Kyrie had long surpassed anything you could count on both your fingers and your toes. The witch was breathing so hard her shoulders shook, but it wasn't because she was tired. She just couldn't hide her ragged breaths caused by her still uncontainable excitement.

"No matter how sloppily I mash them, I can revive them, returning them to normal with just a snap of my fingers. Because in the end, I just have to restore the corpses and follow the epitaph as an afterthought. Ahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!"
"...Hey, you guys, have you ever sliced a stuffed animal's stomach open?"
"Never, nihi. What about you, 45?"
"N-No...! I have never done it, my apologies...!"
"That's understandable. Normally, you wouldn't. Especially not if it was a stuffed animal you liked. But I've always thought about it."
"I always thought about peeking in... and seeing what was packed inside this fluffy stuffed animal I loved."

If you cut it and looked inside, your curiosity might be quelled, but the stuffed animal would be broken. So, even though you want to see, you can't. You understand that feeling, right?

"...The power of the Endless Witch can truly grant that wish. As I am now, I can slice the stuffed animal all I want."
"...And yet, with a bit of magic, I can return it to normal and revive it. In other words, it means I've broken all limitations in this world. As I am now, I don't have to hesitate or give up an idea or anything."
"That joy... aah, there's probably no one who can understand it. No one other than me, the Golden Witch!!"

As the witch let out a mad war cry, she revived Rudolf and Kyrie again, and faster than they could realize it, she killed them right away. And she made it known that something other than cotton was stuffed inside those two.

BGM: Rose

"Huh? Ah, it's you. How long have you been there?"

In that gruesome hall, Hideyoshi appeared with his gun readied. The witch had sealed the mansion with a barrier, so Hideyoshi had nowhere to run. He'd probably picked up Rudolf's or Kyrie's gun and come back. The gun, which should have been something to be feared, was apparently no longer an object she took seriously now that she was overflowing with magical power. Her bold expression didn't flinch in the slightest.

"...Why did you have to kill Rosa-san and Maria-chan, and Rudolf-kun and Kyrie-san...?!"
"Huh? I am the Head of the Ushiromiya family, the witch of Rokkenjima. Everything that occurs on this island is all up to me. Whether they happen to be alive or dead at any particular moment in time is meaningless to me."

"...But if there was that much gold, why didn't you think of graciously splittin' it up...?!!"
"You misunderstand. All of that belongs to the Golden Witch. No one is qualified to touch it except me. *giggle*giggle*giggle* Ahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...!!"
"...What are you? Don't tell me you're that thing Eva told me about long ago, the witch Eva from when she was young?"
"That's right. I am the 'me' from my years as a girl, who's been living in the heart of your wife, Ushiromiya Eva, this whole time. And I'm a witch."
"...Eva became an adult by forgetting me. So she can't use magic."
"...All kids get their heads filled with innocent but cruel ideas sometimes. When I was young, I'd sometimes go around steppin' on ants and pullin' the wings off dragonflies. However, I learned the importance of life, and graduated from that cruel childhood age."
"...Right now, you really are a child! A personality that I know Eva graduated from! That personality isn't Eva. It's a completely different human!!"
"That's right. I am not Ushiromiya Eva. I'm the Golden Witch, Beatrice."
"It's so fun, not being bounded by any limitations, and the pleasure of being able to do as I will with life and death is truly wonderful...! I don't have to apologize for breaking a goldfish bowl, and I can tear stuffed animals up as much as I want! I-"

There was a crisp sound.

BGM: Worldend (solo)

Looking at the hall stained deep red with fresh blood, he should have been able to imagine how terrible the witch was. But without fear, without even hesitating, Hideyoshi had walked determinedly up to her and hit her on the cheek.

"...!"
"You fool!! Don't act like you're cruel, not when you're really a coward and a weakling! I'll correct that evil nature of yours again if I have to!! You fool! Fool!!"
"Ow... ouch, hey...!"
"You're a woman who understands how important, how fragile a life is, aren't you?! I'll make you remember...!! What are you calling a 'witch', you stupid fool?!! You're my wife, Ushiromiya Eva! If anything, you're witch of the kitchen, who can always make the perfect snacks out of refrigerator leftovers in a flash!! Won't you open your eyes, you fool...?!!"
"Didn't I just tell you... that I'm not Ushiromiya Eva...?!"
"You stupid fool!! You! You!!"

He wasn't even pointing the gun at her anymore. Therefore. That sound of gunfire couldn't have come from the gun Hideyoshi was holding.

And the bullet? A red stain was slowly spreading across the chest section of Hideyoshi's vest. Even though his back was facing the barrel of the gun, the bullet had driven through Hideyoshi's chest.

"...E... va... uu..."
"...Like I said, I'm not Eva. What a stupid, annoying man."
"You're a pain, so I'll switch the sacrifice of the sixth twilight to you. If only you'd just hidden under some bed shaking or something, I planned on letting you go. But no, you went to all the trouble of coming back. You really are a stupid man."

Even though death would have allowed him to escape from that pain, he resisted until the last second, and staring straight into the witch's eyes, he passed away.

Because he had died without closing his eyes, the witch didn't realize that he was dead for a short while... and remained pinned by that gaze.

"Should we make this one a new toy and play? Nihi."

At those words, the witch finally realized that Hideyoshi was dead.

"...Nng... yeah. Right, what'll we do..."

The Chiester Sisters waited for instructions. On the inside, they imagined the sorts of even more brutal orders their master might give. But the expression that rose to the witch's face looked as though she'd gotten over her excitement. She looked down at Hideyoshi's face, which still had tears dripping down it...

"Yes, right here."
"Take care of the cleanup. I'll bet the Predecessor-sama makes a fuss over this one. Please make it clean enough for that old hag to accept. I guess I'll follow the rules of the ceremony, out of a sense of obligation to my Predecessor-sama. Treat these three corpses as the fourth through sixth twilights. Lucifer, it's your turn."
"Lucifer of Pride, right here."
"Dig into these three corpses and gouge them."
"...I-Into corpses?"
"That's right. Got a problem with that?"
"N-No..."

The Seven Sisters of Purgatory had their own sort of pride. It was the pride of a hunter, the pride of gouging prey that they had brought down themselves. However, being told to gouge a corpse that someone else had brought down ran contrary to that sentiment. Of course, the witch didn't mean it that way, but for the Seven Sisters, it was horribly humiliating. However, they had already screwed this up, with two of the Sisters defeated, so they had no right to question her. Only Ronove appreciated this, and he rested his hand on her shoulder in understanding.

"...This is an order from Beatrice-sama. Lucifer, carry these three and dispose of them in accordance with the etiquette of the ceremony. Then, when you are done, lend me a hand with the cleanup."
"Certainly..."

The witch looked down upon Hideyoshi's corpse, as though implying that the now delicate atmosphere was all Hideyoshi's fault.

The crash of a thunderbolt woke Eva from her nightmare. If Hideyoshi had been gripping her hand at that time, her fearful heart would probably have been instantly healed. However, Hideyoshi, who had supposedly sworn that he wouldn't leave even for a moment, was nowhere to be seen in the room.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
The profile page (witch's side) has been updated.

The original translation called these girls the Siestas for some reason. If you can stomach them, you're over the peak of the annoying anime designs in this series.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Well, at least the killer's pretty easy to ID this time. It has to be Nanjo, or more probably Eva. You could believably make the case that the conversation between Hideyoshi and witchEva literally happened, except that Hideyoshi was talking to the real Eva at the time.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I was really hoping the Seven Sisters would be the worst characters in this, but Umineko has to go say "no we can top these giant wastes of time with Terminator Vocaloids now." The point is someone died, so just like the Seven Sister I'm gonna pretend they never show up.

Edit: I do appreciate the G Gundam reference so I will say they're a little bit above the Seven Sisters, but still a waste of time.

Fabulousvillain fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 29, 2016

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Chiester guessing like the Winchiesters everyone is running around with. I am thinking the magic servants are more or less metaphors for objects in the real world at this point.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 29, 2016

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Children are hellspawn, so Eva's shenanigans check out.

But now it's time for Beato to... cozy up to Battler? This is gonna be interesting. And dissonant.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

MonsterEnvy posted:

Chiester like the Winchiesters everyone is running around with. I am thinking the magic servants are more or less metaphors for objects in the real world at this point.

Makes sense. The stakes were always literally stakes as well as being anime girls. Besides the guns presumably won't actually have any real baring on the last 5 murders because they have to be killed with stakes. The first 7 could in theory be gunshot kills though.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

I agree with CottonWolf as well. I noted Eva was alone when she woke up, and magic may be stupid and not real, but fugue states and dissociative identity disorders certainly are. Hideyoshi certainly thought he was talking to the real Eva... that's horribly dark and sad, but unless something happens with the bodies, it's a theory.

ProfessorProf posted:

The original translation called these girls the Siestas for some reason. If you can stomach them, you're over the peak of the annoying anime designs in this series.

Well, thank Christ for that! The story has become silly enough as it is even without the sudden bunny girls from nowhere (although I seem to remember they were in an opening or two, so that could be seen as a warning).

But laying aside all of the magic waifu stuff, this story is becoming more and more imbalanced and threatens to go off the rails entirely. All of the episodes so far have emphasized loss of control to a degree, the upending of power balances and natural order, but that theme really seems to come front and center in this episode, what with Beato losing control of both Battler and Eva Beatrice when they developed their own power to resist her and told her to take a hike, and Eva losing control of her... well, what the heck would you call Eva Beatrice? Her actual yonger self? The avatar of her ambitions to take over the Ushiromiyas? A protector identity, like Maria's witch mode, turned against her? Whatever she is, she's gone rogue now, and taken one of the inhibitors of Eva's ambitions- her husband- off the board. This is a whole different game now, and Beatrice has just realized it's not hers anymore. Or perhaps it is her's, and she's realized it's not as fun from the victims point of view.

Would you believe, the Golden Cackler really is kind of growing on me. I haven't forgotten her earlier cruelty, she herself has seen to that, and I'm certainly not rooting for Battler to hook up with her or treat her as a friend (because one should certainly not be required to have connections with their abusers, nor forgive them, that's not their job)... but her sections of the game have changed from "Beatrice is Awesome And Mighty And Wins Forever" into a fairly brutal episode of Bully Beatdown, and given how the shifting power dynamics have revealed a broken, lost person who convinced herself of their own grandeur as a cure for loneliness*, I find myself wishing less for her humiliating destruction and more for her to just get a hug and some help. :smith: (In a 24 hour facility. With armed guards. Far, far away.)

*Heh, you want a description of a witch? There you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

ProfessorProf posted:

The original translation called these girls the Siestas for some reason.

The reason being that the name of these useless bunnies is quite literally siesta in katakana (shiesuta) for some reason. It wasn't until the fighting game Ougon Musoukyoku that it was officially romanized as Chiester.

• Locked thread