Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

At least it served as a cautionary tale. gog's Games in Development stuff is heavily moderated so you won't see wretched trash show up on their service. Actually, looking at it now the list is only like 30 or so games now and all of them are near late alpha/beta levels of complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sterling needs to quiet down at least until my cash in rpgmaker game gets put on steam. Then they can enforce quality.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwYLTJelJ0k

Pretty interesting list, hbomb man. Videoball looks cool and all but when you mentioned Tim Rogers made it that was just about instant repellent. I've found everything he's written unbelievably pretentious and condescending and really loathe the idea of giving the guy money.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
hbomb you get doom in a way that others frustratingly refuse to and they will all be dealt with soon

also I mess around with music junk sometimes and if your other dudes are busy maybe I can help I dunno just putting that out there

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

drat, I paused Hbomb's video and immediately bought Brigador because I had no idea it was even finished. Just one stage in and it's already extremely my poo poo.

Thanks, Harris Bomberguy!

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Oops wrong thread. I blame phone posting.

e X fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 28, 2016

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
There's this guy that I've followed for a few years and recently he revealed that he's changing to a new kind of show. The reasons why he's doing it is rather sad (you can listen to that here). I know not everyone doing an internet review show will succeed, but I still find this depressing.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So SF Debris has posted a review of original flavour Star Wars.

Seems a pretty good analysis if you ask me.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
With Rogue One I've started to notice these clickbait "explanation" videos, which seem really baffling because they're always for the simplest things. CGI Tarkin Explained, Rogue One Ending Explained.

RIght now I'm looking at a thumbnail of a video titled "Star Wars Carrie Fisher RIP Princess Leia and Rogue One Explained". I really want to click it, but that would mean I've already lost.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

With Rogue One I've started to notice these clickbait "explanation" videos, which seem really baffling because they're always for the simplest things. CGI Tarkin Explained, Rogue One Ending Explained.

RIght now I'm looking at a thumbnail of a video titled "Star Wars Carrie Fisher RIP Princess Leia and Rogue One Explained". I really want to click it, but that would mean I've already lost.

Could this be the return to the "Reply Videos" that plagues YouTube years back? I almost kind of miss them.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Tracula posted:

I know I mentioned it earlier but I think that Greenlight as a whole, or maybe Steam and Early Access, should just have gotten the nomination for shittiest game of the year. Its stretching the meaning and yeah, there's good stuff in there, but there's such a monumental and ever growing pile of, in Sterling's own words, "toys full of cum" that are stocking the shelves that it's getting absurd.

Nominating Greenlight for the worst game of the year was pretty close to what he already did. I don't think he can really denounce the platform as a whole while also putting a Greenlight game on his Best Game of the Year. That would kinda send mixed messages.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Could this be the return to the "Reply Videos" that plagues YouTube years back? I almost kind of miss them.

in retrospect they were very cute and really build a sense of community

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The problem with reply videos wasn't the concept of replying to something, it was more the fact that the titles were usually misleading and were named the same thing as the videos they were replying to.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Tracula posted:

I know I mentioned it earlier but I think that Greenlight as a whole, or maybe Steam and Early Access, should just have gotten the nomination for shittiest game of the year. Its stretching the meaning and yeah, there's good stuff in there, but there's such a monumental and ever growing pile of, in Sterling's own words, "toys full of cum" that are stocking the shelves that it's getting absurd.

I miss back when greenlight started and it actually had SOME level of quality control and was actually getting cool smaller games on steam, instead of helping con artists shovel out their crapware, trying to dupe kids and stupid people with epikk meeeeemes and broke as hell unity disasters all running off the same probably pirated asset packs. I wish I could remember the individual names, they all blur together by this point, but a bit back there was this span of a couple days or so where HarshlyCritical played like 3 different unity horror games that cost a couple bucks a piece at max, only to find they ALL used the same assets and two of them even reused an exact map between each other, with super similar placement of their spooooky horror assets even.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 28, 2016

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

ZorajitZorajit posted:

No, it's more like those articles that transform the info you could glance for like a tweet into 2 to 3 paged mess on a vertical.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
"Luke Skywalker's father revealed? What you NEED to know"

*thumbnail is Princess Leia in her slave bikini*

1-800-DOCTORB fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 28, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Whether you have an issue with RLM or not, their goofy rear end Star Wars wookiepedia fact reading thing was great. Vader gets a lot less intimidating when you hear how his skin is basically paper mache and his bones are made of glass and how he has to sleep in complete and total sensory deprivation otherwise even pin drops come blasting through his hearing aides and how the respirator noise is only there because Palpatine cheaped out on getting him the good tech and god almighty, The Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Facility.

"The monitoring panel on his chest beeped frequently, and for no reason."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

Whether you have an issue with RLM or not, their goofy rear end Star Wars wookiepedia fact reading thing was great. Vader gets a lot less intimidating when you hear how his skin is basically paper mache and his bones are made of glass and how he has to sleep in complete and total sensory deprivation otherwise even pin drops come blasting through his hearing aides and how the respirator noise is only there because Palpatine cheaped out on getting him the good tech and god almighty, The Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Facility.

"The monitoring panel on his chest beeped frequently, and for no reason."

It also solidifies Palpatine as this absurdist, stingy, short-sighted, comedically egotistical rear end in a top hat troll who just wants to make the lives of everyone around him miserable because he gets off on it.

I'm in 100% agreement with Rich on that one, Palpatine was already one of my favourite Star Wars characters, but that poo poo about him just seemingly dunking on Vader 24/7 for no reason made me like him even more :allears:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Yeah that Ep7 review bashing Ring Theory and Plinkett's quick Rogue One review editing out the character moments in A New Hope just shows how much better Mike still is at this than many of his imitators.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think the EU added that poo poo in an in-vain attempt to remind readers that being Vader isn't badass. The problem is that a bunch of writers glommed on to it, kept one-upping themselves on how lovely being Vader is, and collectively made the while thing unintentionally comedic on just how lovely Vader is.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Tracula posted:

Pretty interesting list, hbomb man. Videoball looks cool and all but when you mentioned Tim Rogers made it that was just about instant repellent. I've found everything he's written unbelievably pretentious and condescending and really loathe the idea of giving the guy money.

I like his writing very much, but you're welcome not to. His games are good and proof his approach to game design can work, imo

Interestingly enough, Tim Rogers and Christine Love appeared together with some other cool people I'm totally unbiased toward on an indiecade panel discussing fashion in video games that was a pretty fun watch. at around 28:55 they talk about Space Channel 5 and Love takes the time to point out how much the character remains consistent while wearing different outfits every mission. This is a really important approach to character design, emphasising an important difference between character, costume, personal agency and wider story. It's a much more mature way of looking at storytelling than many given other games, where the character has a choice between various straightforward normal-looking clothes, or one 'iconic' getup they for some reason wear every day of their lives.

As storytelling in games gets more and more mature it becomes more and more weird that Nathan Drake and Booker Dewitt wear the same clothes almost constantly. Obviously not every game needs a character to get changed every day, I'm not asking for tactical realism, but like, it becomes more and more narratively weird as time goes on. Uncharted 4 takes steps to fix this quite a bit iirc

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 28, 2016

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Christine Love is adorable and one of the few cases where following a gamedev/artist/etc on twitter didn't fill me with regret and loathing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Do not even ask posted:

Christine Love is adorable and one of the few cases where following a gamedev/artist/etc on twitter didn't fill me with regret and loathing.

She just comes across as such a genuinely great person. Probably THE indie dev I'd love to meet if I ever got to one of the conventions.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tim Rodgers is how I imagine almost every person on this forum that posts big old paragraphs about Videogames or movies

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I had been thinking about trying Ladykiller in a Bind, but I was skeptical about it. I liked her first game, Digital: A Love Story, but Analogue I was sort of lukewarm on Analogue. I remember skimming through a lot of it, but that might have been due to my mood at the time. I think the only part I really liked was preventing the self-destruct through figuring out the command-line interface. Come to think of it, the thing I liked the most about Digital was the AmigaOS/BBS theme (which I still think shows a tremendous amount of programming skill when you remember that the games are made in Ren'Py).

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Tim Rodgers is how I imagine almost every person on this forum that posts big old paragraphs about Videogames or movies

I think Tim Rogers achieved the zenith of pretentiousness when it comes to writing about video games. He ran a site called Actionbutton.net (it seems to have been taken down), but it was such an ugly site in terms of design, and the writing was so full of fluff and purple prose that I can only assume it's some kind of parody. The one I always remember was Rogers' review for Shadows of the Dammned, where the whole review is just him talking about jeans.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 28, 2016

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

You really don't have to imagine if you look at certain posters :v:

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Max Wilco posted:

I had been thinking about trying Ladykiller in a Bind, but I was skeptical about it. I liked her first game, Digital: A Love Story, but Analogue I was sort of lukewarm on Analogue. I remember skimming through a lot of it, but that might have been due to my mood at the time. I think the only part I really liked was preventing the self-destruct through figuring out the command-line interface. Come to think of it, the thing I liked the most about Digital was the AmigaOS/BBS theme (which I still think shows a tremendous amount of programming skill when you remember that the games are made in Ren'Py).

I think Tim Rogers achieved the zenith of pretentiousness when it comes to writing about video games. He ran a site called Actionbutton.net (it seems to have been taken down), but it was such an ugly site in terms of design, and the writing was so full of fluff and purple prose that I can only assume it's some kind of parody. The one I always remember was Rogers' review for Shadows of the Dammned, where the whole review is just him talking about jeans.

I remember action button specifically for this huge forum-post of a review http://web.archive.org/web/20160314194445/http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=2389

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's super dope hahah

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Has Tim Rogers ever done an article with a word count under fifty loving thousand?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I probably don't have to weigh in my opinion of Timbo given my avatar is his loving dog.

And I just casually called him Timbo without noticing

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

I remember action button specifically for this huge forum-post of a review http://web.archive.org/web/20160314194445/http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=2389

Adam Saltsman's review of Ziggurat posted:

And so, what follows is a review that is not about action videogames, nor about my feelings. It is simply (some of) my thoughts about this French New Wave action videogame fan art called ZiGGURAT.

Cinema in the 1950s and 1960s was a lot like the AAA game industry is today: big, formulaic projects with big budgets, afraid to push the boundaries and explore new places. Frustrated, French film critics took matters into their own hands, using cheap, portable devices to create their own independent films, championing their own values and desires. These films lacked traditional Hollywood production values, like elaborate sets or laboriously re-recorded dialogue. Instead they focused on telling more believable stories, or with experiments in cinematography.

So when I first read this, I thought they were talking about this Ziggurat, but then I realized that they were talking about an iOS game, so I looked it up and I found a video of the game.

This is the French New Wave answer to AAA games.

But then I hear the narrator mention Action Button. At first, I thought they were talking about the review, but no; this game was developed by Tim Rogers. Action Button published a review of their own game where they call it 'French New Wave action video game fan art' and give it four stars. :psyduck:

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

So when I first read this, I thought they were talking about this Ziggurat, but then I realized that they were talking about an iOS game, so I looked it up and I found a video of the game.

This is the French New Wave answer to AAA games.

But then I hear the narrator mention Action Button. At first, I thought they were talking about the review, but no; this game was developed by Tim Rogers. Action Button published a review of their own game where they call it 'French New Wave action video game fan art' and give it four stars. :psyduck:

What could possibly be more avant-garde than an endless arcade shooter with controls inspired by Angry Birds?

Deport The Irish fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 29, 2016

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I like Tim Rogers's writing, if anything for his really old Earthbound review where he talks on how Itoi came up with the dialogue scheme for the Mother series by reading and then acting out the dialogue while in hospital recovering from a leg operation. Honestly wish that tale was as known as the "Gigyas is rape and abortion imagery at the same time because of a movie" thing everyone goes for.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

There's this guy that I've followed for a few years and recently he revealed that he's changing to a new kind of show. The reasons why he's doing it is rather sad (you can listen to that here). I know not everyone doing an internet review show will succeed, but I still find this depressing.

Well, it's a shame I had to find out about him this way, because I just binged on a bunch of his videos and he seems pretty good. (Though I can see why he wouldn't be terribly popular; criticism of gamers aside, dude just isn't really charismatic and the presentation's still clinging to the old Channel Awesome gag style.)

Hbomberguy posted:

Interestingly enough, Tim Rogers and Christine Love appeared together with some other cool people I'm totally unbiased toward on an indiecade panel discussing fashion in video games that was a pretty fun watch.

Oh heck yes I need to watch this!

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

Well, it's a shame I had to find out about him this way, because I just binged on a bunch of his videos and he seems pretty good. (Though I can see why he wouldn't be terribly popular; criticism of gamers aside, dude just isn't really charismatic and the presentation's still clinging to the old Channel Awesome gag style.)
I used to watch him years ago, pre-2014 crisis in video gaming (where he engaged in a lot of "both sides, think of the poor maligned gamers" tears on Twitter) and one of the big problems was that he was largely allergic to feedback. You know the kind of guy, always asking for feedback, but taking anything negative (no matter how constructive) as a personal attack that might as well have said "delete your account lol." He also just had a lot of really bad ideas and a poor grasp of game design, which is the opposite of a good thing when your show is ostensibly about game design in the persistent multiplayer space. Like, one of his pet ideas that he came back to repeatedly was this idea that hunters in Warcraft should have a sniper build with realistic engagement ranges in the hundreds of yards, and he'd defend it over and over even as people repeatedly demonstrated why it was an awful idea that would never fit into WoW's structure. From his gameplay videos it became clear that he wasn't particularly good at any of the games he played, but also didn't have the self-awareness to work that into his analysis.

This might sound mean, but it's a bit of a fatal flaw in your Game Mechanics Analysis channel if you're bad at game mechanics analysis.

But I dunno, that was all before the Blipocalypse, so maybe he improved.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I blame game/cinema theory. Speaking of, are they internet critics?

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Leal posted:

G I R U G A M E S H

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I thought I had this commercial and by extension, the cringe by association, repressed from my memories.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Leal posted:

this is the hilarious boob dude who's wedding got interrupted so he could check the livestream right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

LFK posted:

I used to watch him years ago, pre-2014 crisis in video gaming (where he engaged in a lot of "both sides, think of the poor maligned gamers" tears on Twitter) and one of the big problems was that he was largely allergic to feedback. You know the kind of guy, always asking for feedback, but taking anything negative (no matter how constructive) as a personal attack that might as well have said "delete your account lol." He also just had a lot of really bad ideas and a poor grasp of game design, which is the opposite of a good thing when your show is ostensibly about game design in the persistent multiplayer space. Like, one of his pet ideas that he came back to repeatedly was this idea that hunters in Warcraft should have a sniper build with realistic engagement ranges in the hundreds of yards, and he'd defend it over and over even as people repeatedly demonstrated why it was an awful idea that would never fit into WoW's structure. From his gameplay videos it became clear that he wasn't particularly good at any of the games he played, but also didn't have the self-awareness to work that into his analysis.

This might sound mean, but it's a bit of a fatal flaw in your Game Mechanics Analysis channel if you're bad at game mechanics analysis.

But I dunno, that was all before the Blipocalypse, so maybe he improved.

I don't play MMOs, so I didn't bother with his game design stuff. I was more interested in the stuff around gamer culture, which he has a refreshingly down-to-earth coverage of for the most part.

I'm not terribly surprised at his ideas around sniper stuff, given his love of paintball.

• Locked thread