Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Bit the bullet and bought INSIDE on sale. Kind of wish it was about forty minutes shorter so I can get a refund for it. As much as I liked Limbo, this one didn't do anything in its brief run that made me happy to have played it. It was interesting in that inexplicable manner it is, but the gameplay and puzzles were so minimalistic I think I would have rather saved that money for lunch this week (or more games on sale) and played two more hours of FFVIII instead. If you're in the same poverty basket as myself, maybe wait until it's $8 or so.

I felt the same way about INSIDE. It's just too easy compared to Limbo and other puzzle platformers. The Swapper remains my favorite of these kinds of games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What makes Republic Commando so great? I'm thinking about picking up some single player FPS games that aren't new Doom. I was looking at the Wolfenstein New Order and I've always seen chatter about RC.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
I really enjoyed Wolfenstein: The New Order. It doesn't have the glory kill mechanic which made DOOM such a blast. however it's a really solid, traditional shooter with a neat setting and some good set pieces. Plus space Nazis on the moon.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
So, they're not on big discounts, but both GRIP and Redout are on sale right now, and I've been eyeballing the futuristic racing game scene for a while, but I haven't been convinced yet to bite the bullet on these two, or Formula Fusion. I know that all of the games have the original devs of Wipeout/Rollcage in the mix, but are they actually worth it? the Redout demo gave me the impression the game is much more F-Zero then Wipeout, and I'm more of a fan of the latter. It also gave me the impression that your ship is SUPER wide, at least compared to the track, which would make overtaking not as easy.

So basically are they worth it, or should I just stick with BallisticNG and pray to the developers to add a online multiplayer to it? :v:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Dial A For Awesome posted:

I really enjoyed Wolfenstein: The New Order. It doesn't have the glory kill mechanic which made DOOM such a blast. however it's a really solid, traditional shooter with a neat setting and some good set pieces. Plus space Nazis on the moon.

I want to play new Doom eventually. I played the demo and it was okay I guess. I'm sure it gets more fun beyond the demo area. Although I didn't care much for the glory kill mechanic. It felt like it broke up the action to much while waiting for the animation to play out.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

I want to play new Doom eventually. I played the demo and it was okay I guess. I'm sure it gets more fun beyond the demo area. Although I didn't care much for the glory kill mechanic. It felt like it broke up the action to much while waiting for the animation to play out.

The new DOOM is made so that the Glory Kills are the action. The demo was lacking in the chainsaw, the berserk powerup, and basically everything else that makes this game great. Solid 10/10.

For all the new DOOM buyers - be aware that there is an in-game option to change the gun view to a classic "middle of the screen" Doom 1 style.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Mr.PayDay posted:

Install reshade.me into the game.exe directory and turn on 1-3 of the several filters like lunasharpen or adaptive sharpen and kill the milky shrouds with Levels.Fx and you will never ever play games without reshade again.
Costs about 5-10 frames but totally worth it.

I had to read this like 5 times before my brain could parse it. I'll take a look, thanks!

89 posted:

I installed the Reshade mod into Mad Max and couldn't get over how pretty it looked

Great. Now I have to reinstall Mad Max. :argh:

nachos posted:

I felt the same way about INSIDE. It's just too easy compared to Limbo and other puzzle platformers. The Swapper remains my favorite of these kinds of games.

Yeah, the puzzles are a bit (quite a bit) on the easy side, but they felt less 'cheap' than some of the stuff in Limbo. I enjoyed my playthrough quite a bit.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Kikas posted:

For all the new DOOM buyers - be aware that there is an in-game option to change the gun view to a classic "middle of the screen" Doom 1 style.

I turned that on as soon as I found it, and I can't imagine the game looking any other way.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Oh wait, reshade.me is a renamed SweetFX?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Edmond Dantes posted:

Oh wait, reshade.me is a renamed SweetFX?

No, SweetFX was baby's first shader mod, Reshade is the full dev suite.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Fuzz posted:

No, SweetFX was baby's first shader mod, Reshade is the full dev suite.

And Reshade is very idiotproof to use, and that was the reason for me to finally try it out.
So few effort so such a visually stunning improvement and result.

Download from the bottom of the site: https://reshade.me/
Doubleclick the ReShade_Setup_3.0.5.exe and a little application opens with "welcome"
Click on "Select Game"
Browse through your steam folder on your harddrive:\Steam\steamapps\common[steamgame]
Open the steamgame.exe
Reshade App says "Installing to [steamgame]" and wants you to select a rendering API (usually Direct3D 10+)
Another window opens "Do you wish to download a collection of standard effects from github.com/crosire/reshade-shaders?"
Click yes and Reshade will download all effects and filters into a separate folder within the [steamgame] folder
You finally choose which effects you want to install, everything is already checked. Click OK
Reshade says "Done"

Now when you start your [steamgame] you observe an injection and Reshade loads all effects and tells you to press F2 to config it.
You enter name for a savefile of the this specific steamgame-reshade config and you now can manually choose the filter+effects.
Under the Settings tab you can select different hotkeys to toggle the effects on and off, you can even use a time and fps overlay.

And the games look SO MUCH BETTER, it is absurd. I did not believe my buddies who could not understand how you could play a game without reshade.
I played Dishonored with Reshade again, it is a visually different game, a sharpened and colorful adapted thing of beauty. As if this game had an graphic overhaul and was a remake like Skyrim Special edition. No, this is not an exaggeration.

btw is there a seperated thread for Reshade or Sweetfx discussions here on SA?

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 28, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I did a round of refund/keep - play less than 120 minutes and decide whether the game is worthwhile - with new purchases today.

Memoria

This was actually graciously gifted to me by Xander77, but I played it today along with the other three games. It's a point and click game, which I haven't played since the days of Broken Sword and Grim Fandango. I've always been wary of Adventure Game Logic, and the first chapter already had a fair few AGL situations, requiring me to google a walkthrough before I'd even played for a full hour. Also the game is basically a sequel to another Daedalic game I haven't played (but have seen some videos of, so I already know of some... issues... with characterization in Daedalic games), but the past storyline with the female lead seemed interesting enough. The voice acting for the two leads is okay, but the other roles range from okay to awful. E.g. the VA of the character you meet first off in the game, a minor role to be sure, is pretty drat terrible. Sadly I don't see this keeping my interest for the ten or so hours HLBT gives it.

Dishonored 2

Did you love Dishonored? Play this game. Just make sure you have a beefy rig because I am struggling to get to 60 FPS even with medium-high settings on a 1060.

Have you played Dishonored yet? If not, play that and wait for this one to get cheaper.

Don't have Dishonored yet? Buy it from the sale instead because it's an excellent game. Get the GOTY because the story DLCs are excellent and tie in to the plot in 2.

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

I have a long relationship with the HW franchise because the original game was the first game I ever played that had incredible 3D visuals and epic space opera world-building. The final cinematic of Karan S'jet stepping on Hiigara, taking her turn last, still makes me emotional after 17 years.

I had been extremely skeptical of this game despite some of the crew being original HW crew from Relic because of the changed-up setting and the heavy-handed retconning of lore that I love. However, after playing it for a few missions, there's still some of that magic in here, right down to small touches like the gentle "whom" sound you get when entering the Sensors Manager or the idle chatter between your vehicles. The shift to a desert setting has worked fine, you lose out on the incredible backgrounds of the earlier entries -

- but you gain in the strategic element of height differences and duststorms and so on. Actually reminds me a little bit of Ground Control, another Good Old Game.

The campaign is apparently fairly short (eight or so hours) and I have no interest in MP RTSs, so I felt like the original price tag was taking the piss, but getting it for 11 euros and change with the bundle discount (having already owned HW:Remastered) seems right. Threw in the Paul Ruskay score for good measure. Finally, the Gaalsien were right :colbert:

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments

Last but not least! I'm one of those grognards who prefer Jeremy Brett's Holmes to the Benedict Cumberbatch-Mark Gatiss Holmes - thankyouverymuch - and this Holmes seems to be a bit of a fusion of the original setting with a few ideas borrowed from the Gatiss series (feel free to correct me and tell me the "investigation mode" with the floating text in Frogware games actually predates the BBC show). This Holmes is certainly eccentric, but not quite as manic as Brett's and not as antisocial as Cumberbatch's. It is also the best approximation of the "process" I've experienced in game form so far. The first case is fairly straight-forward and probably intended to be a tutorial, and I clocked it in right under 120 minutes. The game has been gone through in the thread already, and it does in fact do a good job of presenting you with multiple plausible conclusions to draw. I was struggling with an appealingly complicated and "clever" solution that the game had been subtly hinting at, but I took a step back, looked at all the evidence and facts, turned them over in my mind, formulated an alternative, simpler theory, and then realized that within that theory, the little niggling issues left by the other theories fell neatly into place. So not only did this game make me feel smart (my conclusion turned out to be the right one), it made the process organic while throwing in just enough stage tricks and misdirection to keep me off the right path until it was decision time.

What I'm saying is that this game is phenomenal based on the first case and I already feel like I got my money's worth. If you're a Holmes fan or if you like classic detective stories at all (I'm also a Christie junkie), get this loving game. You even get to put on disguises. Impersonating vagrants and sailors and poo poo is a Sherlockism that has been sorely missing in the new series.

The only fly in the ointment was an inscrutable and obtuse arm-wrestling QTE/puzzle that I had to look up some help with to finish. Talking to the guy was absolutely critical to figuring out the correct solution too, although puzzles can be skipped. The other puzzle-puzzles weren't anywhere near as bad. There's also very little of the jank I'd expect from an East European dev.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 28, 2016

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I don't think there is a thread, but here is all the uploaded presets for games on their site.

https://reshade.me/presets

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I guess I didn't pay enough attention to Lili: Child of Geos before wishlisting it. I probably would have realized it was mobile port garbage. It's kind of deceptive in that it's got great art and seems like a cute Zelda-like with a female protagonist and quirky humor. And all that's pretty much true except actually playing the game is painful because it was so clearly designed for tablets/phones and plays like poo poo. It's also incredibly repetitive. Probably my only real disappointment of this year's steam sale.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

What are some of the best games to play on Steam Link? My girlfriend just got me a 1070 for Christmas so I've been playing through a ton of stuff on my TV because it's way easier and nicer than using my desk after being at work all day.

I finished Rise of the Tomb Raider, been playing Hitman, Binding of Isaac, Mad Max, Fallout 4, and a bunch of others.
Doom played way better on a keyboard and mouse, but most slower paced stuff seems to be great.

How's Witcher 3's controller support?

Stardew Valley I couldn't get past the first screen in because it needs a keyboard to name stuff :(

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Wildtortilla posted:

What makes Republic Commando so great? I'm thinking about picking up some single player FPS games that aren't new Doom. I was looking at the Wolfenstein New Order and I've always seen chatter about RC.

It's an fps with some light Rainbow Six elements (you can issue commands to squad mates). Honestly the gameplay isn't mind-blowing but it's pretty fun all the way through. Mostly I like it because it's a Star Wars story that's not "jedis jedis jedis!" It follows a group of clone troopers who are really good at their jobs but are starting to realize how lovely the whole war is.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Kaboobi posted:

How's Witcher 3's controller support?

Witcher 3 works fantastic on the steam link, I've been playing with a 360 controller.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Mr.PayDay posted:

Install reshade.me into the game.exe directory and turn on 1-3 of the several filters like lunasharpen or adaptive sharpen and kill the milky shrouds with Levels.Fx and you will never ever play games without reshade again.
Costs about 5-10 frames but totally worth it.

Speaking of Witcher 3, did anybody ever come out with a mod to calm the wind down a bit so the trees aren't always freaking out like they're in the middle of a hurricane?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Mr.PayDay posted:

btw is there a seperated thread for Reshade or Sweetfx discussions here on SA?

If there ever is it should definitely be called "ONE WEIRD TRICK Art Directors Don't Want You To Know!".

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

GreatGreen posted:

Speaking of Witcher 3, did anybody ever come out with a mod to calm the wind down a bit so the trees aren't always freaking out like they're in the middle of a hurricane?

If you can't appreciate Geralt's beautiful hair blowing wildly while he is standing inside of a house, I don't know what to tell you.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
My problem with reShade/Sweetfx is that I really don't want to tweak each setting manually, so I try using presets... and most presets look like hammered poo poo. Most times is just someone who grabbed the sliders, set saturaton and contrast to max and called it a day. I just tried one of the most downloaded ones for Mafia 3 and the sharpness filter was so cranked up it was causing haloing and jaggies all around the models.

I'm not bashing reshade/sweetfx, I just wish there were better presets out there (or that I had better luck finding them :v: ).

/edit:

NRVNQSR posted:

If there ever is it should definitely be called "ONE WEIRD TRICK Art Directors Don't Want You To Know!".

Also this, on some games it just kills the look the game is going for. Inside looks like a different game, and not in a good way.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 28, 2016

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Discounts are probably shittier because the insane explosion in early access and greenlight means putting your game on sale for a nickel isn't going to reach literally everyone like it did back in the day. There's just too much poo poo to see and eyeballs are too directed by algorithms to sort through the giant piles of poo poo. As such, you're gonna reach maybe the people who are your target audience -- the people you can sell a game to for 30% off. You're not reaching crowds so insanely big that you can sell at insane discounts.

I don't buy the "you already own everything" arguments because stuff that was on sale for incredibly cheap prices costs more now than it did several years ago. Skyrim came out loving 5 years ago and it's $20, or $30 for better shaders. That poo poo has been on sale for $5 on Steam years ago. loving Oblivion is selling for twice that. Arkham Asylum is selling for the same sale price I got it at 7 years ago.

I noticed this too. It would be interesting to see a storewide direct comparison.

I suspect that the main difference though is simply that they're only allowed 1 sale price for the duration. Having the spigot open to -75%+ for 2 weeks straight means way more 'loss' than 48 hours (or 8 hours in 2011-2012) and probably way less burst of excitement.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I'm fairly sure some publishers have realized they can bait and switch people by selling cheaper during other sales and then tone down the discounts during the Christmas sale. I imagine most people assume this sale has the lowest prices ever so they just buy stuff and publishers get to sell low when games wouldn't be moving otherwise on top of taking a bit off the top during Christmas.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Avasculous posted:

I noticed this too. It would be interesting to see a storewide direct comparison.

I suspect that the main difference though is simply that they're only allowed 1 sale price for the duration. Having the spigot open to -75%+ for 2 weeks straight means way more 'loss' than 48 hours (or 8 hours in 2011-2012) and probably way less burst of excitement.

Sale culture has kind of promoted not really buying games outside of sales (except for AAA must-play releases) for most people. I don't know the last full-price game I bought on Steam, and a lot of the small sales (10-50% off) just aren't enough, when I have 200 other Steam games, to really justify spending.

It's kind of a spoiled kid thing, when you own a hundred games you paid $5 for, you probably won't buy more unless it's under a specific price point for most people.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Det_no posted:

I'm fairly sure some publishers have realized they can bait and switch people by selling cheaper during other sales and then tone down the discounts during the Christmas sale. I imagine most people assume this sale has the lowest prices ever so they just buy stuff and publishers get to sell low when games wouldn't be moving otherwise on top of taking a bit off the top during Christmas.

I think its more that they realized that they don't have to practically give their product away for people to buy it.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

My natural FPS play style is quite 'safe'/conservative. The neat thing about DOOM is that it's mechanics encourage a frantic run and gun style: shoot a bit, run up to an enemy to finish them off, hoover up the resulting spew of ammo, health and armour and then run somewhere else.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Wildtortilla posted:

There is a perk you can eventually get that greatly speeds up glory kill animations. Maxing out the perk speeds up the animations even more.

Eventually you can make glory kill animations play so fast that you can barely even identify which one you just watched. At that point it *might* take a somewhere between a quarter-second or a half-second to go from pressing the glory kill button to you being able to fire your gun again. It makes the entire mechanic go from a little bit tedious and gamey to completely fuckawesome every single time it happens.

I basically won't play without that perk if I can help it. Oh, and I also tend to use the perk that lets you activate glory kills from like 15 feet away. It's an amazing combo that lets you blaze around maps even faster than normal.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 28, 2016

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Consortium wasn't originally part of the sale but it's now $2 FYI.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
My 9 year old loves mobile flight simulator game, is there anything like that on steam? For a kid so the simpler the mechanics the better, combat is probably fine as well.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

There is a perk you can eventually get that greatly speeds up glory kill animations. Maxing out the perk speeds up the animations even more.

Eventually you can make glory kill animations play so fast that you can barely even identify which one you just watched. At that point it *might* take a somewhere between a quarter-second or a half-second to go from pressing the glory kill button to you being able to fire your gun again. It makes the entire mechanic go from a little bit tedious and gamey to completely fuckawesome every single time it happens.

I basically won't play without that perk if I can help it. Oh, and I also tend to use the perk that lets you activate glory kills from like 15 feet away. It's an amazing combo that lets you blaze around maps even faster than normal.

This sounds really great! I was worried they'd break the pace of the game from playing the demo but it sounds like it's not an issue.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Palpek posted:

A reminder that there's a Mass Effect-style game set in ancient Greece that's like $2 now: Rise of the Argonauts.

Chiming in to say this is definitely worth it. It's not great by any means but the combat is pretty fun if simple and the setting is neat enough to keep you interested if you like the clasic Greek myths. It drags a bit near the mid point as some of the puzzles are more frustrating and confusing then you'd expect.

Another absolute steller gem is Enslaved: Odyssey to the West for $5. It's a a underappreciated game that looks absolutely loving gorgeous and has interesting characters and story for what you think is just a standard arpg-twist to the classic Chinese tale.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

How good are the ports of these versions of Final Fantasy, particularly the post-SNES ones and IV? V and VI look like they just ported those phone versions, made ugly games even uglier.

How about Grandia II? I heard back things about the port of Tales of Symphonia...

The port complaints are mostly about lack of 60 FPS and the worst part was the original console version even had 60 fps combat but it was frame rate capped for the PC.

Grandia II is definitely the same as you remember, but it does not age well. The combat is crisp and smooth 60 fps but the regular game is 30.

The 7-X PC FF games are decent ports for the most part, plus they all come with a built in game boost that allows you to give yourself max health, items, currency, or the best in FFX to actually speed up the game itself to run at 2-4x times normal. It makes travel times a lot more bearable.

Here's what I'm looking at so far.

Everything seems to have decent reviews and at least not have game breaking problems that prevent playing (Jade Empire on Win 7 or higher).

pentyne fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 28, 2016

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

bad day posted:

Consortium wasn't originally part of the sale but it's now $2 FYI.

Consortium is a neat game that reveals more and more of its inner workings the more you play it. Definitely give it a try, especially if you have it in your library.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

pentyne posted:

Here's what I'm looking at so far.

Everything seems to have decent reviews and at least not have game breaking problems that prevent playing (Jade Empire on Win 7 or higher).

I wouldn't recommend buying Ryse. It's very repetitive, short and was panned critically even back when it was released.

I never played it myself but most people also dislike the Witcher Adventure Game, even fans of the franchise.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Thinking about clearing out the bargain bin section of my wishlist. Any strong feelings about these four?

Will Massive Chalice hold me over if I loved XCOM but can't afford XCOM 2 yet?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I watched a friend stream some Age of Decadence and it looked like a really unique RPG experience. I only saw a few hours, though--does anyone have a more holistic opinion on the entire game?

I bought Caves of Qud and have been loving it so far. I think I'd played some earlier build years ago, but bounced off of it. This time around, I'm having a blast learning the mechanics and discovering weird artifacts and new mutant powers and dying when I get into 2 on 1 situations.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Lester Shy posted:

Thinking about clearing out the bargain bin section of my wishlist. Any strong feelings about these four?

Pony Island is great, I feel everyone should buy it at that price.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The first episode of The Descendant is available for 89 cents with the rest of the episodes (2-5) on sale for $8.99. It's an episodic sci-fi point-and-click adventure somewhere between the Telltale model and standard puzzle solving. I've got a Let's Play going where I'll be posting Episode 2 some time early tomorrow (maybe just past midnight here.)

I guess the LP could obviate the need to purchase it but I wanna drive home this has been a really good game so far.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Lester Shy posted:

Massive Chalice massively sucks.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yo, if you want a nice, funny, engaging, replayable and challenging, but a bit aged, sims-like game, they boy is Ghost Master for you! And it's just 0,74 Eurobux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided has an obscene discount for such a recent release. I love the series so much I played through Invisible War more than once, but there's a lot of negativity in the reviews. Is that all related to the microtransaction DLC nonsense or are there deeper problems with the game?

• Locked thread