Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol you need to read mahan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
battleships were the nuclear weapons of their time

fleets in being were basically the pre-atomic version of MAD

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

did we determine if the f35 is bad or not

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
doesnt matter lol

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

OMGVBFLOL posted:

did we determine if the f35 is bad or not

Yeah it's not very good, just put a minigun on a PYB Catalina and take off from a submarine carrier defended by rail guns.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Rand alPaul posted:

Yeah it's not very good, just put a minigun on a PYB Catalina and take off from a submarine carrier defended by rail guns.

where's my lasers?!?!

also people are gonna be super bummed out when they discover that unlike in sci-fi laser weapons dont have any visible color when fired

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
every warplane and missile and ship and bomb that is built represents an act of theft from a hungry child, a mother in poverty, a homeless human being

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
the f-35 is bad because it is a colossal waste of resources no matter what the price tag is

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

crazy cloud posted:

every warplane and missile and ship and bomb that is built represents an act of theft from a hungry child, a mother in poverty, a homeless human being

yeah well the american empire aint gonna prop up itself

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

crazy cloud posted:

I read that as warp lane and got excited for a minute

FTL fighters own

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Darkman Fanpage posted:

yeah well the american empire aint gonna prop up itself

ashes 2 ashes n dust 2 dust imo

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

VikingSkull posted:

I read that as warp lane and got excited for a minute

FTL fighters own

If they were warp capable i would be in favor of literally grinding up poor ppl for fuel probably lol

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
~super cruise~

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Baloogan posted:

~super cruise~

lol the F-35 can't

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
it's very important we make these planes that cost 1.5 trillion dollars to protect us from untold numbers of fighter planes that are constantly attacking the USA

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Teikanmi posted:

it's very important we make these planes that cost 1.5 trillion dollars to protect us from untold numbers of fighter planes that are constantly attacking the USA

aw how cute you think the US isn't an aggressive empire

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
that's what unmanned drones are for, cheaper and saves livez

takes all the ptsd out of blowing up the brown people

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Can Donald actually reduce the cost of the F-35? Sure he can try to negotiate with Boeing on Air Force One and maybe save a few bucks, but the F-35 is like a million years of development hell with the goal of building a million jets eventually. . . Is it possible to save money that has already been spent on R&D? Also, doesn't the unit cost like go down as your order more jets? I thought the current $100mil cost per jet was based largely on spending a trillion bux to develop a certain number of planes.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Teikanmi posted:

Drone pilots get hecka ptsd because they fly the bomb camera down and then have to survey the damage and count how many of the wedding party were killed or mutilated

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Teikanmi posted:

two specific nations without an air defense network

unlike, say, Syria or Iran

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

theflyingexecutive posted:

Drone pilots get hecka ptsd because they fly the bomb camera down and then have to survey the damage and count how many of the wedding party were killed or mutilated

good :twisted:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

tbh battleships were a waste of money even during their heyday, battleship on battleship engagements almost never happened and they mostly only saw use for shore bombardment, and in WWII, floating AA batteries

Battleship-on-battleship engagements happened plenty, just not during World War Two because of an odd knock-on effect of the Washington and London Treaties. Because countries could only build so many of the things they were jealously kept away from action and the cruiser ended up doing most of the surface warfare.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Baloogan posted:

lol you need to read mahan

there is no god but Neptune and Mahan (PBUH) is his prophet

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
there is something magical about being on a ship out of sight of land. most of the spots on the surface of the earth is like that. Top of the world. the curve of the sea itsself is masking you

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
if you want to understand history, read mahan.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
history is dumb cuck poo poo and effort made to understand it is effort wasted hth

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Baloogan posted:

there is something magical about being on a ship out of sight of land. most of the spots on the surface of the earth is like that. Top of the world. the curve of the sea itsself is masking you

i love guaranteed death if my giant bathtub sinks

v. magical

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Even more magical when your single engine throws a blade.

e: being out at sea is for real awesome, do it.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Crotch Fruit posted:

Can Donald actually reduce the cost of the F-35? Sure he can try to negotiate with Boeing on Air Force One and maybe save a few bucks, but the F-35 is like a million years of development hell with the goal of building a million jets eventually. . . Is it possible to save money that has already been spent on R&D? Also, doesn't the unit cost like go down as your order more jets? I thought the current $100mil cost per jet was based largely on spending a trillion bux to develop a certain number of planes.

people are saying that the unit cost is going to go down as the f-35 exits development and enters full production, and trump will claim full credit

that's what they tell me.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PleasingFungus posted:

people are saying that the unit cost is going to go down as the f-35 exits development and enters full production, and trump will claim full credit

The problem is the high cost led to order cuts, especially for overseas customers which reduces the economy of scale arguement

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

VikingSkull posted:

that's why we have an orbital mirror system

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

why not just put the lasers in orbit? youd have less loss to the atmosphere that way yeah?

Both of these are in Command and Conquer lol.

crazy cloud posted:

Eisenhower, last good republican president?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Concordat posted:

Eisenhower, last good republican president?

eisenhower was legit good as far as presidents go

his one sin was giving nixon a VP slot and legitimizing him for the future

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

If I recall correctly, both parties wanted him to run for them and he had trouble picking one over the other.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

i mean, the whole domino theory in regards to communism was also a problem, but i attribute that more to the times and attitudes of everyone around him

especially dulles, goddamn, gently caress dulles, nothing good came of the motherfucker

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

The airport terminal looks kinda neat.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Concordat posted:

The airport terminal looks kinda neat.

i've been through dulles once and i live near DC

it's the most expensive airport in the region, it's not convenient to anything even with the new silver line, and the only thing it has going for it is the brutalist architecture

if i'm flying on the cheap, i take BWI. if i'm flying on someone else's dime and want convenience, i go through reagan and curse his name

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Eisenhower, as Supreme Commander in Europe during WWII, was essential in creating the industrialized manner in which arms procurement was set up

his warning on the way out about the MIC rings a bit hollow, like when Oppenheimer said "I am become death, destroyer of worlds"

like, thanks for creating the problem, rear end in a top hat, nice of you to recognize it after the fact

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darkman Fanpage posted:

where's my lasers?!?!

also people are gonna be super bummed out when they discover that unlike in sci-fi laser weapons dont have any visible color when fired

This man would never lie to me.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

That's exactly what they said about space shuttles and their launches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Unlike F-35, Space Shuttles were cool so who cares about cost.

• Locked thread