Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
It'd be nice to get a profile of places like /pol/ that's supported by data, but I don't think that'll ever happen because the entire structure and culture of it defies any attempt to do something like get a representative sample of it and ask questions that get answered honestly. Whether it's a bunch of 15 year olds, 25 year olds, or 35 year olds is a pretty big difference. The ones making faceless YouTube videos sound like they're mid-late 20's, but God only knows what fraction that is.

As for nerd culture, I don't think that the politics of it fits neatly into left or right. It's a group that understands power in terms of social capital, which is completely off the radar of most politicians. It doesn't care for societal norms that have brought it nothing but pain, but what it fears most is exile, so it winds up in the odd position of defending its own enclaves but having no respect for tradition or authority. The "culture war" stuff plays directly into that, and so does the endless contrarianism to prove that the rest of society has its head in its rear end.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dick Valentine posted:

Will there be a distinction between nerds and geeks, dorks, or dweebs?

Let God sort em out.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

lothar_ posted:

More people should never read forums populated by stupid people. Instead of reading, they should simply post, "I'm not reading anything here because your posts will be terrible, and you should feel bad for wasting your lives on the internet" every time they visit. If enough people do that, then these awful forums might disappear, and the mockers get the added bonus of feeling superior. Besides, feeling superior was what they were looking for anyway by reading forums and trying to find out where they fit in the grand spectrum of opinion. "Am I part of the majority, therefore validating my views? Or am I part of an enlightened minority, and the majority just hasn't caught on yet?" So posting this line and moving on is win/win. Doing this while wearing sunglasses might also help.

In a thread full of stupid posts, this is by far the stupidest.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Call Me Charlie posted:

Is it lonely up there on your pedestal?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Call Me Charlie posted:

nerd spotted

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
There is no war but class war, between the class of the nerd and the class of the overly well-adjusted normie scum.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

blowfish posted:

There is no war but class war, between the class of the nerd and the class of the overly well-adjusted normie scum.

Fear that motherfucker. They're either on some really good drugs, or a cultist.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Unfuckable losers using the internet to reinforce in each other an ideology of misogyny and racial hatred driven from their deep loneliness and resentments seems like an obvious outcome of the internet, in hindsight. It's a wonder most internet nerds were hippies for so long. The unfuckable loser hate brigade may not be that numerous, but they're online 24/7 and angry enough to post nonstop, so they punch above their weight.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Best Friends posted:

The unfuckable loser hate brigade may not be that numerous, but they're online 24/7 and angry enough to post nonstop, so they punch above their weight.

and boy, is that a heavy weight

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Reading volkerball's post it does remind me that that alt-right very strongly overlaps with the Mens Rights Movement, and the involuntary celibacy brigade.

Who's have thought that a bunch of sex-starved life failures would end up resenting foreigners for their lack of action. Cough.

Cough.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

quote:

Unfuckable losers

quote:

life failures

These statements are harmful and our fault. "Our" as in American society and the idea of masculinity itself judging a man's worth by their sexual partners. They don't excuse misogyny and especially racism (seriously, what the hell?), but they're a prime source for the stewing resentment and anger.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Best Friends posted:

Unfuckable losers using the internet to reinforce in each other an ideology of misogyny and racial hatred driven from their deep loneliness and resentments seems like an obvious outcome of the internet, in hindsight. It's a wonder most internet nerds were hippies for so long.

Early internet users were generally happy and successful people, either able to afford the expensive equipment to get online, or in academia. Both of these types were not the kind of people to lock themselves up in their rooms in misery; the internet was just one part of their full lives. They were also people open to new experiences by definition, and the "unfuckable internet losers" are deeply conservative in more than politics. You can see this in their worship of video games from their youth, endlessly trying to capture the exact feeling when they unwrapped Final Fantasy 7 on Christmas morning. Change scares them.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Talmonis posted:

These statements are harmful and our fault. "Our" as in American society and the idea of masculinity itself judging a man's worth by their sexual partners. They don't excuse misogyny and especially racism (seriously, what the hell?), but they're a prime source for the stewing resentment and anger.

If you're living in a basement (because you're a dumb gently caress who can't get his life in order and who's too incompetent to even flip burgers) and have never hosed (because you're a revolting piece of poo poo wearing a fedora no human being would touch with a ten foot pole, not because you don't want to) then yes, you're an unfuckable loser and a life failure. A life failure who would get professional help and basic income in a fairer society perhaps, but still a life failure.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

blowfish posted:

If you're living in a basement (because you're a dumb gently caress who can't get his life in order and who's too incompetent to even flip burgers) and have never hosed (because you're a revolting piece of poo poo wearing a fedora no human being would touch with a ten foot pole, not because you don't want to) then yes, you're an unfuckable loser and a life failure. A life failure who would get professional help and basic income in a fairer society perhaps, but still a life failure.

Judging men by how many women they have hosed is so sexist to both genders I don't know where to begin. Plenty of great guys have a decidedly non-epic sex life for whatever reason. This sort of misandristic/misogynistic message is what gets these socially-hopeless guys to get so twisted and nasty. They realise that a man is judged on his worth by how many women he has hosed, which in their case is 0. This causes them to both hate themselves and women for being the gatekeepers of male worth. A toxic stew that is the root of the rise of the alt-right. Men, please knock off judging your socially-hopeless brothers on how many women they have hosed, and we will all be much happier.

BarbarianElephant fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 28, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

BarbarianElephant posted:

Early internet users were generally happy and successful people, either able to afford the expensive equipment to get online, or in academia. Both of these types were not the kind of people to lock themselves up in their rooms in misery; the internet was just one part of their full lives. They were also people open to new experiences by definition, and the "unfuckable internet losers" are deeply conservative in more than politics. You can see this in their worship of video games from their youth, endlessly trying to capture the exact feeling when they unwrapped Final Fantasy 7 on Christmas morning. Change scares them.

check out this guy who has no idea what a cesspit usenet was

all the Youtube comments section did was add cute cat videos to the top of the Internet, already fully formed.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

blowfish posted:

A lot of these issues are undiagnosed (or untreated) depression and a complete lack of any self-esteem. The voices they hear online should be telling them "Hey, you matter and have a problem. Get help," but instead calls them losers, garbage people and unfuckable. The Alt-right then tells them everything they want to hear.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

you can't say that to him, the dude yelling about how anonymous internet nazis are probably basement-dwelling virgins on a paywalled internet debate club forum is probably just drowning in pussy, he seems really cool and together in his life.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

check out this guy who has no idea what a cesspit usenet was

I'm old, I used Usenet a little bit after it's glory days.

Usenet was designed for the "genteel" days of the internet. Most groups were unmoderated. This is why it quickly turned toxic when home computers with internet connections started to exist, and people wanted to talk about things other than Unix, C, and Robert Heinlein.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Robert Heinlein.

exactly what I'm talking about

also what you're talking about, and putting on kids these days

i mean yeah I guess Final Fantasy 7 specifically was not the object of a thriving nostalgia cult or the platform evangelical conservatives used to preach to the neckbearded masses, back before Final Fantasy 7 existed

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Judging men by how many women they have hosed is so sexist to both genders I don't know where to begin. Plenty of great guys have a decidedly non-epic sex life for whatever reason. This sort of misandristic/misogynistic message is what gets these socially-hopeless guys to get so twisted and nasty. They realise that a man is judged on his worth by how many women he has hosed, which in their case is 0. This causes them to both hate themselves and women for being the gatekeepers of male worth. A toxic stew that is the root of the rise of the alt-right. Men, please knock off judging your socially-hopeless brothers on how many women they have hosed, and we will all be much happier.

if you choose to tear yourself up over how you can't get out of your lovely basement and nobody wants to gently caress you and then keep trying (very badly) and failing (also very badly) then you are objectively bad at life as defined by yourself, even if those criteria might not be good criteria

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

you can't say that to him, the dude yelling about how anonymous internet nazis are probably basement-dwelling virgins on a paywalled internet debate club forum is probably just drowning in pussy, he seems really cool and together in his life.
The alt-right is either a dominant internet movement taking america by storm or a group of 26 warhammer players who got called "four-eyes" in high school - they're whatever we need them to be.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

OneEightHundred posted:

It'd be nice to get a profile of places like /pol/ that's supported by data, but I don't think that'll ever happen because the entire structure and culture of it defies any attempt to do something like get a representative sample of it and ask questions that get answered honestly. Whether it's a bunch of 15 year olds, 25 year olds, or 35 year olds is a pretty big difference. The ones making faceless YouTube videos sound like they're mid-late 20's, but God only knows what fraction that is.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that a real demographic survey of 4chan might determine electoral results for the 2020 presidential election

quote:

As for nerd culture, I don't think that the politics of it fits neatly into left or right. It's a group that understands power in terms of social capital, which is completely off the radar of most politicians. It doesn't care for societal norms that have brought it nothing but pain, but what it fears most is exile, so it winds up in the odd position of defending its own enclaves but having no respect for tradition or authority. The "culture war" stuff plays directly into that, and so does the endless contrarianism to prove that the rest of society has its head in its rear end.
The ironic thing is that nerd culture is probably very specific for 1980-2000 and people who grew up as teenagers in that time, nerd culture have gotten so mainstream and grown up nerds worshipped so much since the early 2000s or so whoever ends up at the bottom rung of high school social ladders will probably end up with some different labels

Typo fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 28, 2016

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I think you guys are seriously lagging behind if you still think the only people that support this stuff are basement dwelling losers. Trump/Brexit banished all of that it is a far bigger group than you think.

The internet now actually represents a large cross section of society of people of all ages and backgrounds. I can't remember who said it but think back to the glory days of when old nasty people thought the internet was a series of tubes or what ever that quote was ignored it. Now they are all over it.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Jippa posted:

I think you guys are seriously lagging behind if you still think the only people that support this stuff are basement dwelling losers. Trump/Brexit banished all of that it is a far bigger group than you think.

The internet now actually represents a large cross section of society of people of all ages and backgrounds. I can't remember who said it but think back to the glory days of when old nasty people thought the internet was a series of tubes or what ever that quote was ignored it. Now they are all over it.

yeah srsly sometimes I think SA's view of the internet is permanently stuck in 2004 or so, isn't the largest internet using demographic middle-aged women now?

jesus christ remember when "there are no girls on the internet" was a thing?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

However internet demographics have changed I think perhaps the emergence of vocal and coherent alt right subgroups is a reaction to that change in demographic and so those groups in particular are probably full of turbonerds with loving zero social skills who want someone to blame for their own repellence.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Typo posted:

jesus christ remember when "there are no girls on the internet" was a thing?

Just encountered it in the wild yesterday

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
I'm sure that's one of the aims of the alt-right. Drive out women who aren't complicit with harassment and toxic environments until the sandbox is theirs "once again."

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The Protocols of the Elders of The Alt-Right

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

The Protocols of the Elders of The Alt-Right

More specifically the Gamergate wing of it, but yeah, pretty much.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Talmonis posted:

I'm sure that's one of the aims of the alt-right. Drive out women who aren't complicit with harassment and toxic environments until the sandbox is theirs "once again."

Yeah, that's why they flip out over girls playing video games while at the same time bemoaning the fact that they can't find a girlfriend who likes videogames. I suppose the ideal is a girl who loves videogames, but doesn't talk about them, particularly in a critical way.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

I suppose the ideal is a girl who loves videogames, but doesn't talk

It's probably more correct without all that stuff at the end...

Kilano
Feb 25, 2006
There are currently 62,979,636 non-sex havers in america

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Talmonis posted:

Sorry I should have been more clear - they're life failures because they dedicate their time and energy being hateful whiny shits on the internet, it is unrelated to their lack of having sex. The latter just feeds into a cycle of misogyny wherein they believe women owe them something for swinging something between their legs, but it is not the root cause of their shittiness. blowfish for instance has a very happy life with a healthy relationship towards the women in it despite transforming into a pumpkin within 30 metres of a woman's bedroom.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Jippa posted:

What people are fretting about is essentially Internet subculture that's fusing pop culture with right-wing politics, which is a fairly small fraction of both the broader Internet and the Trump and Brexit support bases. There is no "only" in any of that.

If anything, the myopia of places like SA is that they think Internet pop culture is more influential on elections than it really is. Frog memes are really popular among a demographic that doesn't vote, and it's largely the demographics of who votes and doesn't got Trump elected in the first place. The real damage is going to be more long-term.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Not to mention Britain leaving the European Union was hardly an eccentricity of the alt-right. Even Trump's election is not something you can put down to the 'growing' of the alt-right, his vote tally was worse than noted enemy of the alt-right Mitt Romney four years ago. Clinton failing to win a supposedly unloseable election is testament to the failure of the Democratic Party to win over old friends as opposed to the alt-right winning new ones. Heck Trump's cabinet are basically all establishment Republicans apart from Bannondorf.

Kilano
Feb 25, 2006
More of my liberal friends are sexless virgins than my scumbag friends

hope this helps

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

On the other hand, legalize prostitution. Problem solved.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Gloryhold It! posted:

Just encountered it in the wild yesterday

funny story: one of my friends is really into tumblr and she basically said the reverse to me: there are no guys on tumblr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I cant articulate it well, but I feel like theres a deeper underlying problem at play responsible for frustraded men and women not finding love and polarizing them that I'm worried could blindside us. It concerns me because I feel like its responsible for a lot of the recent surge in MRA's.

I think a part of it has to do with public expectations and inflated standards due to stereotypes and memes perpetuated by our society. Men are made very noninteractive and distant due to the pressure to not be the passive-aggressive 'nice guy' nor the violent sexist pig, resulting in a loss of passion and individuality. Meanwhile women are given the impression that they are liberated and progressive, which is proven wrong when they display how tightly the double-standards of sexism still cling to them when they exhaust the entirety of their personal bios listing everything they dont want or are afraid to admit wanting (resulting in the already impersonal and timid partners to become even more monotonous and bland). Ironically, the emphasis on suppressing subtle personality reduces some to the caricatures MRA's present, being left with nothing to judge individuals on but their looks and accomplishments.

It also helps that both parties are hilariously awkward and nerdy, adding another clumsy layer to the whole thing.

• Locked thread