Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Devorum posted:

EDIT: How do you not die in the Atlanta?

Hug your waifu. The Atlanta is a destroyer that can be citadeled.

Don't be first, stick around islands and murder the gently caress out of destroyers. Or cruisers.

Nothing makes a cruiser poo poo its pants like double digit citadel hits per volley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Devorum posted:

Finally caved and attempted the Flamu trick.

Bought 10 $3 boxes, got 90 days premium, 3K doubloons, 50 Dragon flags, 100 ESCL flags, An Atlanta, and a Warspite.

I bought 7 3€ boxes and got flags and camo.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Jack_tripper posted:

the very next box. I've finally won boats christmas 2016

Nice Swastikas nerd

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Hazdoc posted:

In a completely shocking way, wargaming has revealed the modified "know where the nearest enemy ship is" skill... by not changing it at all.

But they changed the name! Is that not good enough for you?!

Lady Morgaga posted:

Yes. Big rear end container thing.

And counter question. Are you on EU? And if so do you want to play?

Yeah, EU. I'll play some tomorrow. I played 6 games today, got my 3 containers, most of them were decent wins so decided to quit while I'm ahead. Don't want to push my luck too much with the holiday players.

Iceshade fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 28, 2016

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
How much longer are these xmas boxes on sale for ?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

MREBoy posted:

How much longer are these xmas boxes on sale for ?

Until everyone has spent 200 USD or more.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I have no regrets.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
Wargaming will soon catch up on the Salty Flamu and stop the promotion before everyone and their mother gets their hands on 3$ shiny horses.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Ugh yesterday I spent $27 and got a Tirpitz, Atago, and Kutuzov. Today I spent $27 and got some camouflage. This stupid promotion is turning me into a degenerate.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Lakedaimon posted:

Ugh yesterday I spent $27 and got a Tirpitz, Atago, and Kutuzov. Today I spent $27 and got some camouflage. This stupid promotion is turning me into a degenerate.

I spent 9 USD today and got the Scharn and Tirpitz, almost ruining my plans for next week when I buy 33 captain's boxes and hope I get tons of duplicates. I want no less than 8 Eugens.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Wish I had money to gamble on Santa boxes. This sounds like fun.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Redeye Flight posted:

Wish I had money to gamble on Santa boxes. This sounds like fun.

Yeah I guess it is if you win big and get a bunch of ships but less so when you realize you could've just bought a fun ship instead of a bunch of flags and camo patterns.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

The idea here is that 100 USD of santa boxes might get me more doubloons than just a straight purchase. This will accomplish _________________________.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So I never got an answer on this one, is it worth taking CE on a Russian cruiser captain, or is the general wisdom that you should double down on tier 4 skills?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

So I never got an answer on this one, is it worth taking CE on a Russian cruiser captain, or is the general wisdom that you should double down on tier 4 skills?

Some can benefit from CE, but if you're ultimately planning on using the captain on Moskva then it's probably not worth it. So the answer is, "It depends."

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Lord Koth posted:

Some can benefit from CE, but if you're ultimately planning on using the captain on Moskva then it's probably not worth it. So the answer is, "It depends."

Yep, this captain will be moved up until I hit tier X. I'm about 20k XP away from the DM so its in the foreseeable future.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

Yep, this captain will be moved up until I hit tier X. I'm about 20k XP away from the DM so its in the foreseeable future.

I still feel like CE helps with any cruiser. It does give you some stealth fire capability in the Chapayev, and considering how battleship friendly the meta is I feel like even an extra km of stealth is just about priceless. Especially when you are trying to sneak up on a capping DD and hit them with radar. CVs are still pretty uncommon, so AFT or Manual AA are often wasted. Even with CE, my Donskoi has slightly worse detection than my Iowa. Combine that with a big citadel and negligible armor, and you are a shell magnet. With CE, your detection range is only about 1km more than your radar range, so you can use situational awareness to generally guess when something is radar-able.

Just finished with the V-170. Am I crazy in considering skipping the T-22? It looks like the same thing, with worse detection (but with hydro maybe?)

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
So after losing like 7 games in a row in the Mahan (sorry Herr_Bazooka) I unlock the Benson and do 6 kills in the first game in it :stare:
I think we'll get along just fine.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

A rousing T8 game in my Belfast of "Oh God why is half the enemy team, including at least 3 battleships, chasing me?" And continued to chase me, even as I got near the northern edge of the map and started heading east. Meanwhile, my team, whose battleships had mostly been really slow pushing through the eastern cap mostly unopposed (I'd started west with 3 other ships, everything else started east), eventually capped and killed everything else. Spent the first bit annoyed, but then became amused as they continued chasing me while being pelted with HE, despite not being able to see me and starting to get shot from behind too.

Benny Hill may have been running through my head.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
Official reply to the, uh, concerns .. about the positioning skill.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/5krvcf/about_commander_skills_and_pitchforks/

Most notably:

quote:

1. Yes, we have kept "Radio Positioning", while listening to ST feedback AND your "theoretical" concerns. This is why the skill is now 4 points and it shows a sector, not exact location. While it is powerful in some situations, I am just asking you this: before making rage posts go to PT and try (honestly!) to build a solid build with this skill. And think - just think - what would you sacrifice for this skill (e.g. on BB). And then, well, try it in game before making conclusions. Point is, the skill is not added to "ruin" any line or devaluate your mastery. It is a costly situational option. E.g. it may be very good in some game-staggering scenarios when 3-4 ships must chase some half-dead poor guy that tries to cap. Just an example.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

poo poo I wish I had these skills right now.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Dear ZombieLenin:

I'm sorry for Dunking on you, but that was a fun loving brawl. Goons ruin everything. I assume you went for the ram there?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Given all these "free" 10-point captains, it makes you wonder if they'll give us free point resets again.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Given all these "free" 10-point captains, it makes you wonder if they'll give us free point resets again.

Well they kind of have to if the skill changes happen.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

ZombieLenin posted:

Well they kind of have to if the skill changes happen.

Lol look at this guy thinking they might do that.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
At what tier do US battleships stop having armor made of cheese?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

At what tier do US battleships stop having armor made of cheese?

Tier 5-7

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Got a Grem, swore it would be my last 4 Captain's crates. Prinz Eugen and a loving Nikolai. Peace out, I'm done pushing my luck.

Flamu was bitching in the background, of course.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Done with the Minekaze, and just in time too. If it wasn't for all the Ocean Soul and experience flags they threw at me with boxes, I would've given up on this boat and freexp'd the Hatsuharu. These are just about the best results I can drag out of her, and that is after kicking and screaming.

I don't question that this boat used to be amazing at some point in time. Right now, it feels very non-threatening: just an adequate torpedo platform for its tier. The torpedoes feel underwhelming, since to me, having more torpedoes per launcher is just so much more comfortable than having more launchers with fewer torpedoes or some extra range. The speed isn't anything amazing either, they just feel slow, but anything under 60 knots feels pretty slow once you make that jump. At the very least, they reload very quickly, which is nice.

Since it has trouble outgunning anything other than itself (not saying you can't take on American DD's on this, but it usually requires you to get crafty with detection or get some help), It thoroughly feels like a one-trick-pony. You will launch your torps. Maybe they'll hit, maybe they won't. If you have a brain, you will pop smoke and shoot things when the opportunity arises, though at that point, you're cosplaying as an American DD inside the smoke, except you can't hide your lovely RoF. If things are barreling towards you, you will wait for them to get close to shotgun them with your good torp reload. If they turn away, you've usually wasted your smoke, since the range on your guns is just so goddamn bad.

The overreliance on torps makes it very boring to play, which is unlike the other two three lines where you can always be doing something and getting more immediate results out of it. They could give it an extra gun or a nice increase to the turret rotation or something just so make it less monotonous.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

I feel like I'm starting to get the Ibuki, using it like a longer ranged Atago. Supporting the BB line and setting other BBs on fire with 5k volleys from 20km, over a mountain.

I'm midway to the Zao now, very excited to get there. Any tips for either ship, playstyle quirks that might not be common knowledge?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Goddamn is the Marblehead a piece of poo poo. I don't think anyone was asking for a shittier Omaha, but wargaming delivered! Lets have a tier 5 ship with essentially no AA, that will be fun.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I don't remember if I've ever gotten Confederate in a DD before, but tonight I got it in a stock Ognevoi with an untrained captain.

I like this boat.

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men

Sperglord Actual posted:

I don't remember if I've ever gotten Confederate in a DD before, but tonight I got it in a stock Ognevoi with an untrained captain.

I like this boat.

That boat got a lot hate at first when the turrets were easy to be destroyed. Now it's a good boat that does well. I got my second solo warrior in it and I did enjoy it, just not as much as the Farragut. It gets even better going up that line too like the USN DD line does.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Ognevoi wasn't so bad once you got used to playing second-line skirmisher, but Farragut is far more versatile. I average 10k DPG higher in it.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Cheapest boat purchase of my life
http://i.imgur.com/kMLvAsn.gifv
Just 1 credit!!!!

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

OSad posted:

, since to me, having more torpedoes per launcher is just so much more comfortable than having more launchers with fewer torpedoes

To each his own of course but I completely disagree with you on that. More launchers is better by far. Its just more flexible arrangement that allows you more options. I would kill for Yugumo with 2x4 or 3x3 arrangement instead of 4x2.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

More launchers with fewer torpedoes makes for bigger gaps and easier torpedo beats, I vastly prefer quad and quint launchers to the torps on these steaming shitpile IJN DDs. They made a new line because nobody was playing them (because they were mediocre), and managed to split a mediocre line into two aggressively bad ones, and then add a German one that is superior in just about every way, I wonder how that's going to turn out for them.

I can't see any serious amounts of people being able to grind past the terrible Hatsuharu to reach Akizuki, and nobody who hasn't reached 9/10 already is going to bother trying to get past the turd that is the Akatsuki - which is going to be even worse after these new skill changes, with those ships in particular relying 100% on straight lining into stealth torps.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 29, 2016

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

I have it on my Moskva, Concealment is still rubbish tho and I get lit up by every battleship in range.
I replaced the concealment module with the rudder shift one to help with dodging. Before I was full concealment and it was still too bad to be of much use.
I'd say you need either CE or the Concealment mod with nothing you have worse concealment than most battleships you'll encounter.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
I love you Bayern, also flags and camo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

It's hard to say which one was worse, the Kagero who turned his engines off and went afk to talk on the phone, leaving my NorCal to be ravaged by a Benson I couldn't find, or the 80% HP Montana who rammed a 5% HP Yamato, killing them both, and essentially throwing any chance of winning the game, because he had ram flags on and turning to avoid the Yamato would have let it have one last shot at his exposed side.