Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
you can unlock a challenge and then roll back a save to do a different one, so like you could get drown, headshot, garotte all in a row. thats lame. even with saving, i only do full runs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

I honestly reload a lot after a first clear yeah. Especially if I'm trying to trigger a very particular kill and don't wanna mess it up

I think it's okay to do this because I've had a trigger that I needed to happen mess up before and either cause the target to be bugged or do something he/she shouldn't do. But I mean the auto saves can be generous

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've spent the last like 25 minutes trying to delete the camera recordings

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
ive being trying to do hokkaido as the ninja w/ katana + throwing stars and nothing else but its really hard. really gives me metal gear feels due to the locale and the fact that you cant let anybody see you at all

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

you can unlock a challenge and then roll back a save to do a different one, so like you could get drown, headshot, garotte all in a row. thats lame. even with saving, i only do full runs

Yeah that's dishonest for sure. But hey anyone can do whatever they want to be happy

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

rediscover posted:

ive being trying to do hokkaido as the ninja w/ katana + throwing stars and nothing else but its really hard. really gives me metal gear feels due to the locale and the fact that you cant let anybody see you at all

doing hokkaido as the ninja makes me swing wildly between "hokkaido's gimmick is cool" and "why can't it be normal". but then there's the thing you can just beeline to to trivialize it

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

elf help book posted:

i figured this out on accident because i was trying to get mastery level 7 for the ninja so i got a list of challenges to do. but i ended up being 1000 points short anyway so i reloaded a save to do a different kill where i was right by the exit for the last bit of points and it gave me like, 4 other challenges that i didnt even do in that 'Timeline' so to speak. it was confusing

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rediscover posted:

I did this and then once I completed it I used the exact same route to do a SOSA run, also the ninja assassin disguise has a really specific ledge that you can climb only when you're wearing it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

rediscover posted:

i figured this out on accident because i was trying to get mastery level 7 for the ninja so i got a list of challenges to do. but i ended up being 1000 points short anyway so i reloaded a save to do a different kill where i was right by the exit for the last bit of points and it gave me like, 4 other challenges that i didnt even do in that 'Timeline' so to speak. it was confusing

its really unintuitive

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

frank.club posted:

I did this and then once I completed it I used the exact same route to do a SOSA run, also the ninja assassin disguise has a really specific ledge that you can climb only when you're wearing it.

thats fuckin sick. is it something i can figure out on my own? if its really esoteric (proper word to use here? maybe) then give me a hint

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rediscover posted:

thats fuckin sick. is it something i can figure out on my own? if its really esoteric (proper word to use here? maybe) then give me a hint

It probably highlights in hit man vision. Try using it when your first start on the cliff side and look at the hospital

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There must be an easier way to do SASO. I've spent over a half hour meticulously clearing out the second floor so I could meticulously clear out the security room only to have my plans foiled by a third floor guard who I can't see but witnesses all of my crimes automatically now

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it's one of the feat challenges

e: the cliff i mean

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

im glad theres a lot of active discussion about this game because its probably my GOTY and didnt have anyone to talk about it with before

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

There must be an easier way to do SASO. I've spent over a half hour meticulously clearing out the second floor so I could meticulously clear out the security room only to have my plans foiled by a third floor guard who I can't see but witnesses all of my crimes automatically now

its probably easier to not get recorded

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rediscover posted:

im glad theres a lot of active discussion about this game because its probably my GOTY and didnt have anyone to talk about it with before

I've had it since the first level released lol, there's a really big games thread but pimp zone waited until the whole game came out. This is probably one of my favorite games of the year too.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

frank.club posted:

I've had it since the first level released lol, there's a really big games thread but pimp zone waited until the whole game came out. This is probably one of my favorite games of the year too.

ill pay full price for season 2

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

elf help book posted:

ill pay full price for season 2

same I hope it comes out next year sometime. When they were releasing the episodes for this season they mentioned that each level had been done months before it was actually released. Which makes me not so optimistic about seeing new stuff in 2017.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

elf help book posted:

its really unintuitive

I think earlier in the episodic releases you could only unlock challenges on a single run and then had to complete that run before it would let you unlock other challenges. I like that IO changed it because sometimes I just want to manual save at a point where I can potentially accomplish lots of challenges if it's a time-consuming setup. I would hate to have to set up the underground meeting between Reza Zedan and Strandberg every single time for all the challenges involving that scenario.

I did like that the Sarajevo Six missions wouldn't let you save at all. They're good elusive target practice (heh heh)

frank.club posted:

same I hope it comes out next year sometime. When they were releasing the episodes for this season they mentioned that each level had been done months before it was actually released. Which makes me not so optimistic about seeing new stuff in 2017.

Same. I got this at half price and will gladly pay $60 for season 2. I wouldn't mind if it was a 2018 release if we got some bonus missions on season 1 maps in 2017. And if they continue to make interesting elusive targets and put some worthwhile unlockable content behind them. I'll get 20 SA ratings if they give me the attaché case.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 28, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

its probably easier to not get recorded

Yeah I started over with a different route now that I know how to sneak into the recording studio but there's still cameras everywhere that Ive learned to shoot at. Ill try again after dinner.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Im gonna SASO this if its the death of me. If Colorado and Hokkaido are harder I may be in trouble, mentally.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Im gonna SASO this if its the death of me. If Colorado and Hokkaido are harder I may be in trouble, mentally.

:wooper:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In Training posted:

I have no loving idea how you would SASO Colorado lol

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I have no loving idea how you would SASO Colorado lol

I found it to be a little easier than Bangkok but looking back on my memory of it I dedicated like hours and there were a couple of kills that were super lucky or took really exact timing. But Colorado is probably my #2 favorite level

It's a map where once you really know the level you can just chain the kills in almost a specific path. I remember playing it non stop the day it released until I came up with a SOSA path and did it.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 28, 2016

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Me neither. It would probably involve lots of coin fuckery and dropping hay bales and chandeliers on people for accident kills. Berg seems like the easiest of the four, but you still have to get into the basement without getting recorded, and there are cameras at the front door and the basement door.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

In Training posted:

Oh man you haven't seen Colorado lol. Good luck gamer

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i can confirm the ninja-specific climb prompt does not intuition glow

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

How much do y'all play a single area before trying another

I haven't even looked at contracts or elusive targets or whatever and I'm still in Paris just doing challenges and the like

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

From my play time I've spent about 7 or 8 hours on each level

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ciaphas posted:

How much do y'all play a single area before trying another

I haven't even looked at contracts or elusive targets or whatever and I'm still in Paris just doing challenges and the like

ps4 doesnt count hours anywhere I can see but it's probably like 10 +

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I get to mastery level 20 before moving on, at least. The weapons and items you unlock tend to make future maps easier, and I've found that saving most of the Sniper Assassin and Silent Assassin Suit Only challenges for much much later has worked out well. I only recently tried Escalations after having done 75% or more of the challenges on each map, and it's a blast. I already know each map really well so seeing the curveballs thrown at you makes you rethink everything. I still haven't tried Contracts mode.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I get to mastery level 20 before moving on, at least. The weapons and items you unlock tend to make future maps easier, and I've found that saving most of the Sniper Assassin and Silent Assassin Suit Only challenges for much much later has worked out well. I only recently tried Escalations after having done 75% or more of the challenges on each map, and it's a blast. I already know each map really well so seeing the curveballs thrown at you makes you rethink everything. I still haven't tried Contracts mode.

yeah I'd say do this, some of the unlocks in later maps really help complete some feats on other maps or even allow for a change up in how you approach different missions.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

if you move on without getting 20/20 mastery the game should delete your saves as punishment

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

if you move on without getting 20/20 mastery the game should delete your saves as punishment

i beat the whole game and since im only just now trying for cool kills and stuff i have like 4 mastery on each level

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

in fact the only reason i even bothered with starting to level up my mastery in the first place was for the silver ballers. im going to max all the levels though, i thiunk, because the game pwns.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's some extremely good utility items you can unlock for level mastery

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does completing Opportunities award mastery or is that just for challenges, discoveries and assassinations (isn't there another category I'm forgetting)

I feel vaguely guilty relying on Minimal setting for Opportunities but I know if I turned it off I would miss every single one--haven't even found the start for like half of them in Paris

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ciaphas posted:

Does completing Opportunities award mastery or is that just for challenges, discoveries and assassinations (isn't there another category I'm forgetting)

I feel vaguely guilty relying on Minimal setting for Opportunities but I know if I turned it off I would miss every single one--haven't even found the start for like half of them in Paris

Every single Opportunity afaik leads to a condition where a mastery challenge is fulfilled. Some might even have xp for things you do within an opportunity. But you don't have to have one tracked to get complete the associated feat.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

frank.club posted:

there's some extremely good utility items you can unlock for level mastery

i just unlocked the silenced pistol that doesnt get found in pat downs. i havent used it yet but the concept is awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

• Locked thread