Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Faaaaaaaaaairly certain bouncing your face off solid rock while descending at 9.8 m/s is not the sort of thing one survives.

I mean, half the poo poo in the latter half of that video wasn't survivable but that one sticks out for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
You know, they're both flawed individually, but Rafe and Nadine as a duo are pretty fantastic antagonists.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

that's not the twist i expected
does that make it a double twist?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

1stGear posted:

Faaaaaaaaaairly certain bouncing your face off solid rock while descending at 9.8 m/s is not the sort of thing one survives.

I mean, half the poo poo in the latter half of that video wasn't survivable but that one sticks out for some reason.

Coupled with a plunge into cold water - yeah you're dead. If it were a leg or the shoulder I'd be willing to handwave it but yeah, RIP Drake.

Also what the hell was that building made out of? Antigravity-ium?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Elena looks great for having a grenade blow her up. Hospitals must be amazing in the Uncharted universe.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RareAcumen posted:

Elena looks great for having a grenade blow her up. Hospitals must be amazing in the Uncharted universe.

Hey, Elena has been exploded by grenades before and she recovered from that just fine. Think of it like an extension of journalistic integrity.

edit: But like, literal integrity, on your insides.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

After the talk of butts and maps I was reminded of a certain comic and I couldn't resist throwing this together.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Man, I did not see that coming, but in hindsight, something tells me I should've.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I can't believe Nathan Drake is loving dead.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I can't believe Samuel Drake Lied to Us.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Man, I did not see that coming, but in hindsight, something tells me I should've.

It certainly retroactively made me feel better about having to shoot a bunch of prison guards.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

In any other game it would have been the two brothers teaming up to beat someone they couldn't on their own, but no, Nadine just kicks both their asses at once.

NineWheels
Jun 5, 2014
Whoof, that is a brutal freaking cliffhanger. Yeah, I knew Sam was gonna turn out to do/have done something slimy, but I hadn't thought too hard on what exactly it would be.

That said, my money has always been on Nadine surviving the game with some kind of partnership compromise with Nate. The first game got enough well-earned flack for having POC only as the bad guys (and the bad guys mostly almost all POC) that I don't think they'd make a similar mistake again.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

wiegieman posted:

In any other game it would have been the two brothers teaming up to beat someone they couldn't on their own, but no, Nadine just kicks both their asses at once.

Yeah, she's just far and above everyone else when it comes to fights. She's like those monks in Sleeping Dogs.

Or one of the Snake clones that learned CQC.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm starting to think Nadine's impatience is her only character flaw besides liking money, but really who doesn't like money?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that set piece is def my favorite in uncharted 4. I like it a lot

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Rafe is kind of an idiot. If he decides that he only needs one Drake, why chose the one who was stuck for 2 years before betraying him, rather than the competent, somewhat gullible one, who got duped into killing countless people and ruining his marriage by the first one?

Maybe he still has Sam on his payroll and wants to circumvent a visit with HR when Nate gets employed.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 29, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Rafe is kind of an idiot. If he decides that he only needs one Drake, why chose the one who was stuck for 2 years before betraying him, rather than the competent, somewhat gullible one, who got duped into killing countless people and ruining his marriage by the first one?

Maybe he still has Sam on his payroll and wants to circumvent a visit with HR when Nate gets employed.

To me it was more of a 'Even if Sam totally duped me after everything, he still worked with me. While Nate walked away and hasn't come back after that time.'

Plus Nadine seems to really, really hate Nate's guts. Probably because of something Sully did.
Sully :argh:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

She's mad at Sully for only telling the end of jokes and stories.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nadine saying "I'll never trust a Drake, not again" or similar shortly before booting Nate in the head was a nice little touch. When I played through and heard that line I caught it like "wait, what?" but it's very easy to miss or assume she means Nate. It's a nice bit of immediate foreshadowing for Sam's admittance in the next cutscene.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Hey, Elena has been exploded by grenades before and she recovered from that just fine. Think of it like an extension of journalistic integrity.

edit: But like, literal integrity, on your insides.

At this point in her career she's probably been patched up more than Admiral Benson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNvcysI4zwE

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Wow, I thought we were building to Alcazar being some kind of immortal pirate captain from the Libertalia founder team, who modernized in secret and duped Sam to get all that sweet Libertalian gold. He looked like that one captain from the lineup, the one Sully and Nate had to re-hang the portrait for in Madagascar.

...wait a minute. We only had Sam's fabricated tale to go on for Alcazar's physical description, and we have no indication that Sam actually knows what Alcazar looks like. In that flashback, Alcazar's men were using a type of arms we've now seen Shoreline using, suggesting that Sam is filling the details of his story with scattered pieces of information from reality. Sam is an expert on pirates like nobody else in the cast, so he can safely include parts of that in a lie and be confident nobody else would know enough to pick him up on that.

Alcazar looks like that because, when pressed for a physical description of a figure Sam had never actually met, he fell back on a figure he could readily and consistently describe: a pirate.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I am suddenly much less interested in the plot after that cutscene. Cliche brother betrayal, Sam gets shot again in a maybe-lethal way, and the possibility of a three-way tug of war is thrown out like old milk. I would actually be completely okay if ep20 was just Nate stealing a boat and going home to try to patch things up with Elena. Let Rafe comb that island for years for the treasure, let Sam be Schroedinger's brother again, just go home and be happy you're not dealing with this poo poo anymore.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Felinoid posted:

I am suddenly much less interested in the plot after that cutscene. Cliche brother betrayal, Sam gets shot again in a maybe-lethal way, and the possibility of a three-way tug of war is thrown out like old milk. I would actually be completely okay if ep20 was just Nate stealing a boat and going home to try to patch things up with Elena. Let Rafe comb that island for years for the treasure, let Sam be Schroedinger's brother again, just go home and be happy you're not dealing with this poo poo anymore.

Yeah, this last cutscene completely lost the game for me. Such a shame too, because they had a pretty nice thing going.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

NineWheels posted:

That said, my money has always been on Nadine surviving the game with some kind of partnership compromise with Nate.

I don't think so, she seemed pretty pissed about Nate's body count.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I hope the supernatural badguy is just nadine, otherwise she's lame as hell.

girl isn't nearly beefy enough to be this much of a terminator, so the only other explanation is that she subtly puts out a field that makes everyone around her incompetent.

this would also explain why rafe and shoreline mooks are so useless, they're suffering long-term exposure.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

darealkooky posted:

I hope the supernatural badguy is just nadine, otherwise she's lame as hell.

girl isn't nearly beefy enough to be this much of a terminator, so the only other explanation is that she subtly puts out a field that makes everyone around her incompetent.

this would also explain why rafe and shoreline mooks are so useless, they're suffering long-term exposure.

To be fair, she's only doing judo throws and kicking people out of centuries old broken-down windows. It's not like she's hammer tossing people around by their legs or picking people up over her head or anything.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nadine's clearly a military trained woman fighting two guys who only really know how to street fight. Though all the SANDF training the world can't save you from the Drake Punch.

Also, I'm pretty sure those two soldiers at the end are literally the last Shoreline members.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
That certainly explains why'd we'd get introduced to two goon-hiring warlord types and only ever have to deal with one of them and it wouldn't make sense for Alcazar to show up suddenly to interrupt us getting the funds to pay him, though it would've been interesting if we suddenly had Rafe and Alcazar fighting with each other because Alcazar didn't want his treasure hunter interrupted.

And now we're back on a semi St. Dismas theme with both of our Drake boys ousted as liars and thieves to their loved ones, so they can both potentially be penitent.

Seems fairly apparent, Sam was the one he originally wanted and got out of prison for his knowledge of Avery and pirates (we even had the case of needed to text Sam about the pirate portraits, remember). He already ran into a dead end with just Nate and that led to years of fruitlessly digging in the wrong place around the church grounds he bought. Nate isn't suddenly more knowledgeable than Sam just cause we've gotten this far.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Sam's plan also seems to have banked on Nate and Sully having not read the news in the past six months. Pretty sure "Infamous Panamanian drug lord dies in gun battle" is going to warrant at least a couple paragraphs in the "AP In Brief" section.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

C.M. Kruger posted:

Sam's plan also seems to have banked on Nate and Sully having not read the news in the past six months. Pretty sure "Infamous Panamanian drug lord dies in gun battle" is going to warrant at least a couple paragraphs in the "AP In Brief" section.

"Sully, when was the last time you ever read a newspaper?"

"I dunno, there was something about some Austrian guy getting shot in Sarajevo."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I told you that they're all technologically illiterate. Drake learning how to use that phone is a miracle in itself.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

C.M. Kruger posted:

"Holy poo poo, Sam, look at this! He got shot! Alcazar is dead. We can just quit this whole thing and go home. Man, what a relief, am I right?"

"...Err... his ghost is after me?"

"Oh. poo poo. I hate it when that happens. Sully's got an online exorcism cert, though, so we can still make this work."

"He has a WHAT?"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sam is as obsessed with Avery's treasure as Rafe is, it's just that both of them think they're the rational one and the other one is the obsessed one they can use for their benefit. So Rafe chose the Drake that, in his mind, he will be able to manipulate into helping him. Killing Nate was removing all other emotional attachments Sam had, now he has nothing to live for except finding Avery's treasure.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lmao this game isn't going to give us a satisfying payoff with Nadine is it
I'm willing to bet money now that she walks out of this game alive

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It's like if Flynn escapes uncharted 2. It's insane.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

One detail I do like is Sam does fire the gun, it's only Nate that stops Nadine from being killed.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Grapplejack posted:

Lmao this game isn't going to give us a satisfying payoff with Nadine is it
I'm willing to bet money now that she walks out of this game alive

By satisfying payoff you mean that Drake kills her or something? I mean, the thing with Nadine is that she's a "bad guy" but not really a bad guy, she's not really a slimy prick the way Rafe is. Like, out of all the antagonists in the Uncharted games so far Nadine seems like the most pragmatic and businesslike, she doesn't like to smug it up and monologue, it's not her that does dumb poo poo like "well I only need one Drake," so far her biggest "crime" so to speak is simply being a better fighter than the ol' Drake Boys which doesn't really paint her as someone in desperate need of comeuppance imo.

e; like in Uncharted 2 Flynn betrays you in the prologue and leaves you to get locked up in a Turkish prison, to say nothing of all the other poo poo he does working as the right-hand man of a war criminal. Nadine's role in this game is basically just Rafe's muscle.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 29, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Shoreline in general definitely seem like a shady bunch based on the incidental dialogue of all the Shoreline goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

She's also been the main force behind all of your gunfights / goons and has been put in that position by the story. She's the secondary villain and having her walk away from this game would be ridiculous.
If anything they've been really heavily downplaying Rafe as being an actual threat (in that he's basically the money man and is vaguely commanding Nadine's army), so it might just be an issue with the writing of the villains in this game in general, rather than being an issue with Nadine.

• Locked thread