Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm studying for a professional exam and I have a stack of double sided flash cards I take with me everywhere I go. Can anyone recommend an app I can use to turn these cards into something I can review on my phone?

I was thinking of trying this AnkiApps Flashcards app: https://www.ankiapp.com/

I'm open to any app suggestions or other ways to efficiently get them on my phone.

I'm not sure if StudyBlue has a bulk import function from like, paper, but that's the one I use. It's much better than Anki, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taxes
Jan 26, 2010

From here, it's possible.
Is there an app for epubs that works easily with Calibre and keeps all of the metadata and stuff? Marvin used to be perfect, but I think the developers gave up on it after it stopped working with iOS 8.3.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

derekcooper posted:

Anyone do any music creation/editing with iOS? Korg Gadget has been awesome to me and just added two more instruments. The Wavestation gadget is so much fun I've kind of gotten lost in it.

Have you seen this thread yet? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364734&perpage=40

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Taxes posted:

Is there an app for epubs that works easily with Calibre and keeps all of the metadata and stuff? Marvin used to be perfect, but I think the developers gave up on it after it stopped working with iOS 8.3.

Where do you want to store them?

Taxes
Jan 26, 2010

cbirdsong posted:

Where do you want to store them?

I'd like to store them directly onto my iPad. I have my Calibre library on Dropbox, but when I try to get them from Dropbox to Marvin, it takes a long time and removes all of the updated metadata for some reason. May just be user error, but I can't figure out how to do it efficiently.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I think you might want to look at Calibre's "polish" option, if I'm remembering correctly? It takes the metadata changes from Calibre's library file and writes them to the individual book files.

If that doesn't work you might consider my way of just keeping Calibre as the master archive on a single computer, and just export the epubs to Dropbox or whatever as the library you actually read out of? I've ended up using iBooks/iCloud Drive to store mine, since then I can just export from Calibre on the Mac into iBooks on the Mac, and then my reading positions are also available on the Mac. If you don't want to use iCloud Drive, you probably want to look at Hyphen: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hyphen-ebook-reader-for-epub/id1024204679?mt=8&at=11l7ja&ct=tss

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Taxes posted:

:confused: I am on the latest iOS and Marvin works fine.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

I can't play Mario Run on my home wifi network. I don't loving know why, it makes no sense to me. If I turn off wifi, the game works fine over cellular. When wifi is on, it just gets stuck loading and says to find a better connection error 804-1000. Searching Google, apparently I'm the only person on this planet that has this problem.

Taxes
Jan 26, 2010

cbirdsong posted:

I think you might want to look at Calibre's "polish" option, if I'm remembering correctly? It takes the metadata changes from Calibre's library file and writes them to the individual book files.

If that doesn't work you might consider my way of just keeping Calibre as the master archive on a single computer, and just export the epubs to Dropbox or whatever as the library you actually read out of? I've ended up using iBooks/iCloud Drive to store mine, since then I can just export from Calibre on the Mac into iBooks on the Mac, and then my reading positions are also available on the Mac. If you don't want to use iCloud Drive, you probably want to look at Hyphen: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hyphen-ebook-reader-for-epub/id1024204679?mt=8&at=11l7ja&ct=tss

Thanks! I'll give that a shot.

withak posted:

:confused: I am on the latest iOS and Marvin works fine.

Well, Marvin works fine, just not importing via a USB with Calibre.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

What's the best Craigslist app? I don't care if it costs a couple bucks or whatever. I used to use Cpro, I think it was, but can't find it on store or maybe it's not updated

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

What's the best Craigslist app? I don't care if it costs a couple bucks or whatever. I used to use Cpro, I think it was, but can't find it on store or maybe it's not updated

I use CPlus. It's rather good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Same, it's always been decent and is apparently an official app to a degree.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Dope, thanks!

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

TBH you'd probably find better people on grindr

:v:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Oh dang

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Is there a way to add descriptive information to photos on the phone itself? I have been scanning photos while home for the holidays and would like to attach the names of the people in the photos to the pictures' metadata.

So what would be the best way to do this? Is there an app that will let me edit? Does the photos.app have this functionality and I am missing it? Or should I just take notes or make comments in Google Photos?

smr
Dec 18, 2002

cryptoclastic posted:

Is there a way to add descriptive information to photos on the phone itself? I have been scanning photos while home for the holidays and would like to attach the names of the people in the photos to the pictures' metadata.

So what would be the best way to do this? Is there an app that will let me edit? Does the photos.app have this functionality and I am missing it? Or should I just take notes or make comments in Google Photos?

photos.app will try to auto-tag people in pics based on machine learning. If you tap details on any picture in the app, it should show you what people it thinks are in there. You can edit it if it's off.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

smr posted:

photos.app will try to auto-tag people in pics based on machine learning. If you tap details on any picture in the app, it should show you what people it thinks are in there. You can edit it if it's off.

Yeah, the problem with this is that it doesn't sync with iCloud, or even a backup as near as I can tell. So if I name some random great-relative and then forget who it is, the name is gone when I inevitably upgrade my phone. If they actually included the faces/names in the cloud it would be perfect, though.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I quite like the gmail app but how's the inbox one compare? Which do y'all use?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Outlook

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Yeah, Outlook is the best mail client on iOS. It also has proper watch support and actually uses iOS design guidelines rather than shoehorning the ugly Android paradigm into iOS.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
I stopped using Outlook a while back because all my Exchange emails were showing up in a tiny font and I had to zoom in and pan back and forth to read them. The Mail app rendered them properly so it was an Outlook issue, and lots of other people online seemed to have the same problem. Did they fix this?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I like spark. I can't even complain about the Mac app so far.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I've been preaching outlook for iOS since forever. I love it. Just the Mac OS version runs like poo poo on my iMac.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I really wish they'd release a version of Outlook for Mac that worked like the iOS version. It's so good on iOS and so bad on macOS, and you don't even get the same feature-set across devices.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

tuyop posted:

I like spark. I can't even complain about the Mac app so far.

I think the swipe mechanism in the mac app is wonky. Apart from that I agree.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

maduin posted:

I really wish they'd release a version of Outlook for Mac that worked like the iOS version. It's so good on iOS and so bad on macOS, and you don't even get the same feature-set across devices.
Windows version is pretty solid. When I'm using my Mac I have the iPad Pro on a stand for emails and reading PDFs. My next iPad will for sure be the 12.9"

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Outlook is good on iOS because MS bought an app and rebranded it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That's a trend with MS and honestly, all their iOS apps are good. Wunderlist is still great. OneDrive is the best cloud storage interface by a mile.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I don't think the outlook app supports Tasks and Notes. I use those both pretty heavily.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Agreed that the MS apps are great. I use OneNote a lot for work and have been trying to train myself to use it on my personal account.

For cloud storage apps I still like Dropbox the best, but Onedrive is a close second.

Google Photos is the best for cloud photos though.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Is there a secret to forcing TV.app to actually recognize that you've installed the other apps that it claims that it works with?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Somebody at Microsoft knows how to use money.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Man too many email options. I use the built in mail app for my throwaway email and I quite like it tbh. I'll check out outlook though. I use two gmail accounts (one for school) and a throwaway hotmail I've had forever

So is safari the best web browser these days? I know it's been getting better and better with every new iOS. I didn't like chrome at all, but haven't used it in a while so not sure if it gets better. Anyway to set the detail browser app to open via apps? Gmail likes to auto open chrome--unsurprisingly--but would rather safari

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Roadie posted:

Is there a secret to forcing TV.app to actually recognize that you've installed the other apps that it claims that it works with?

Are you looking for the AppleTV thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748522

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
iOS 10.2 added a TV app to all iOS devices, so he's probably not :)

That being said, I never had a problem with the app recognizing other installed apps, but I still find it easier or at least just in my muscle memory to open the individual apps.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

So is safari the best web browser these days? I know it's been getting better and better with every new iOS. I didn't like chrome at all, but haven't used it in a while so not sure if it gets better. Anyway to set the detail browser app to open via apps? Gmail likes to auto open chrome--unsurprisingly--but would rather safari

Safari is the only iOS web browser that supports content blockers, so it's the best for that reason alone

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

All iOS browsers are safari

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wasn't there a Firefox thing that did all its rendering externally? It was so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
E: wrong thread :-(