Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

How many millions of copies does a series have to sell before it stops being considered niche?

It's a big niche

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nate RFB posted:

There is something that just inherently irritates me about Axiom Verge's story and I think it largely comes down to the look/feel of the game and what I'd expect from something of that style. There's a bizarre dichotomy when that particular environment and art direction is married to such silliness. Like let's say you took Super Metroid, but gave it Other M quality narration and story beats. Would it still be as great of a game? That's how I feel about AV, and it feels frustrating because I think the base game is good enough to get by without it.

Oh, yeah, now I see where you're getting at. Super Metroid's story emerged from its gameplay. The only written plot you get is a recap of Metroids 1 and 2 followed by a short blurb about what happened between 2 and Super that sets the stage.

From there you learn that:
  • Ridley and his space pirate goons broke into Ceres station, killed everyone, stole the hatchling, then fled to Zebes.
  • Only Tourian (rather than all of Zebes) was destroyed in Metroid 1 and a lot of rebuilding of the pirate forces happened since.
  • Metroid cloning attempts happened that were only partially successful (the mochtroids in Maridia).
  • The hatchling was removed from its tube and nowhere to be found (its fate intentionally left ambiguous until later).
  • Metroid cloning programs eventually became successful.
  • The hatchling was moved to Tourian, possibly for the purposes of cloning it.*
  • Initially thinking you're dinner, the hatchling eventually remembers you from imprinting at the end of Metroid 2 and wants to protect you.
  • A bunch of other world-building poo poo that isn't really central to the game's plot.

Without so much as a single line of dialog or page from a journal. It's pretty great.

A lot of Axiom Verge's plot moments are pretty superfluous. For example the Rusalki don't really need to stop and explain that the giant headless and vaguely organic-looking machines in the background of one room are their bodies because it's fairly easy to piece together and, if you don't get the picture at that moment, outright revealed later in the game (accompanied by more unnecessary dialog explaining it). Meanwhile most of the journal entries don't really explain anything really relevant to the immediate story and are just nuggets of world-building information that would normally be found in a game manual back in the day.

The plot isn't particularly complicated, so the developer probably could have told it through gameplay similar to Super Metroid with some effort. I guess Speedrun Mode is available if you want to pretend those plot points aren't there.

Edit:
* Also interesting is that if you played Metroid 2 you notice that it just grew to be a monstrous larva instead of metamorphosing. The reason for this is actually revealed in Fusion if you read between the lines, which is kinda neat.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 28, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Guy Mann posted:

How many millions of copies does a series have to sell before it stops being considered niche?

Lurdiak posted:

I really don't like Souls games

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think I ever will

Lurdiak posted:

don't like Souls games

Lurdiak posted:

niche games

Lurdiak posted:

don't think I ever will

Lurdiak posted:

inexplicably

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dark Souls is not for everyone, but it is something everyone should try. Even if you don't like it, the intelligence in its design is still pretty easily apparent. It's a good example of what can happen when a game is as refined as it possibly can be, at least, the first one is. It is a testament to how having really strong basic mechanics and level design can carry a game that doesn't have much else to it- and Dark Souls doesn't, besides the world building. The fact that nobody, not even From has managed to replicate the experience of Dark Souls 1 (though imo Bloodborne comes pretty close) speaks to how special and a standout it is.

edit: And it's also a good example of how spending time refining a game's sequel can make it great. Demon's Souls is a good game but it's very rough, and the time the devs spent between Demon's and Dark Souls making the same systems much better really shows when you compare the two.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 28, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Dark Souls is not for everyone, but it is something everyone should try. Even if you don't like it, the intelligence in its design is still pretty easily apparent. It's a good example of what can happen when a game is as refined as it possibly can be, at least, the first one is. The fact that nobody, not even From has managed to replicate the experience of Dark Souls 1 (though imo Bloodborne comes pretty close) speaks to how special and a standout it is.

I think it's probably safe to say that Dark Souls isn't for everyone, but it is for more people than it seems. Granted, "it isn't for everyone" is probably true of, like, every single piece of media ever produced, so I guess that's not much of a statement on my part.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Are you having a posting stroke.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

CJacobs posted:

Dark Souls is not for everyone, but it is something everyone should try. Even if you don't like it, the intelligence in its design is still pretty easily apparent. It's a good example of what can happen when a game is as refined as it possibly can be, at least, the first one is. It is a testament to how having really strong basic mechanics and level design can carry a game that doesn't have much else to it- and Dark Souls doesn't, besides the world building. The fact that nobody, not even From has managed to replicate the experience of Dark Souls 1 (though imo Bloodborne comes pretty close) speaks to how special and a standout it is.

edit: And it's also a good example of how spending time refining a game's sequel can make it great. Demon's Souls is a good game but it's very rough, and the time the devs spent between Demon's and Dark Souls making the same systems much better really shows when you compare the two.

Fifteen capra demons puts "refined as it possibly can be" down as a filthy lie.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's kind of arguable that no games get released completely finished.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Snak posted:

It's kind of arguable that no games get released completely finished.

They did until the patching era, when you were able to "fix it in post" as it were

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dark Souls 1 still has the worst Souls boss.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

They did until the patching era, when you were able to "fix it in post" as it were

I mean more that budget and timeline dictate when a game needs to be finished, rather than content. There are exceptions, but they are few and far between.

edit: ^ Which one?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Snak posted:

edit: ^ Which one?

Bed of Chaos

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I really enjoyed Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin if only for The Pursuer.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
DS2 was the best if your big draw to the series was online stuff.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
He's a great troll. SOTFS it's crazy how many times that fucker pops up.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

Bed of Chaos

Maybe it's because all bosses take me a half-dozen to a dozen tries, but I never understood the hate. It's kind of dumb, but it's not really that bad. It's a chore, but it doesn't take that long.

But I guess I can't think of a worse boss.

Yeah, okay, it's the worse souls boss,

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I was talking more mechanically, but from a level design standpoint, that's fair. The last third of Dark Souls is imo the most flawed section of the whole series. It becomes pretty apparent what they had to cut and change for time, and it's easy to see what it could have been if they'd been able to sink more time into it, and that's why it's pretty disappointing. But even with the lackluster flop onto the finish line (DLC and the actual ending area aside), it's still an absolute marvel of game design prowess.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think the worst souls bosses are the ones that are just kind of easy and forgettable

Like the bed of chaos fight is kind of cool when you know what you're doing

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CJacobs posted:

I was talking more mechanically, but from a level design standpoint, that's fair. The last third of Dark Souls is imo the most flawed section of the whole series. It becomes pretty apparent what they had to cut and change for time, and it's easy to see what it could have been if they'd been able to sink more time into it, and that's why it's pretty disappointing.

lost izalith is hardly the last 3rd of the game.

tomb of giants and crystal cave are epic troll levels that are fun and i won't hear otherwise.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Snak posted:

Maybe it's because all bosses take me a half-dozen to a dozen tries, but I never understood the hate. It's kind of dumb, but it's not really that bad. It's a chore, but it doesn't take that long.

It's a bad gimmick that is the only boss that I can remember in the series that keeps progress between attempts because nearly every incorrect action is instant death and which has a boss run that's just long enough to be annoying.

Also on future attempts after you've gotten the left and right parts that rear end in a top hat can and will attack you when you're sliding down from the boss door and I've been killed by that.

Yeah, you die a few times on most Souls bosses but that's the only one in the series where I thought it wasn't my fault for missing a tell or some gimmick. gently caress that the floor just drops out on you.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Lizard Wizard posted:

I really enjoyed Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin if only for The Pursuer.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Real hurthling! posted:

lost izalith is hardly the last 3rd of the game.

I meant the entire post-lordvessel part. There's a noticeable drop in quality and area length as soon as you finish Anor Londo, except for like, the Duke's Archives and the Catacombs.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's kind of neat how the bed of chaos and the lore surrounding it is more or less a retread of King's Field 1, though the bed of chaos predecessor in KF1 (the japanese game I mean, not the KF that got released outside of japan) wasn't a puzzle boss. You actually had to fight it, with magic and stuff.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The talk of Furi a few pages ago made me redownload and reinstall it. Despite not having played it since release, I breezed through the first six bosses with no issues, and get back to the sniper. After many tries, I finally beat the final bullet hell segment, which I had never done before, with 1 health left.

Of course I didn't know that after this is a melee segment, where the boss instantly takes my 1 health, and I get kicked back to before the bullet hell. And then I fail to clear it a second time, lose my last life, and have to do the entire fight over again.

Not only is that boss purest steaming bullshit, limited lives/continues is a horrible mechanic that should have been left in the 80s.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 29, 2016

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
You wouldn't be Playing Games The Right Way if there were unlimited lives.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The concept of lives and continues costing you progress feels like a mechanic entirely driven by inertia, yeah

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Hey Chat thread. What are you trying to finish before January 1st?

Nate RFB posted:

Dead Space 1, Shantae, and the Dishonored 1 DLC.
Aaaaand just wrapped up the Dishonored 1 DLC, so hooray I was able to get through that lot.

Now to just get through Yakuza 5 (or drop it, haven't quite decided yet) and I'll be all done with my PS3 backlog.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nate RFB posted:

Aaaaand just wrapped up the Dishonored 1 DLC, so hooray I was able to get through that lot.

Now to just get through Yakuza 5 (or drop it, haven't quite decided yet) and I'll be all done with my PS3 backlog.

i keep buying ever more mediocre 360 games i never played cause they are cheap. gonna be playing 360 forever.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I dont like souls games but its because I like Ys combat and once you play Oath in Felghana or Origins your expectations for action are permanently textured forever

which is not to say that someone who enjoys a souls game can't enjoy an Ys game, just that if Ys is your favorite action game like it is mine, every other action game will feel like it takes place in slow motion, and the souls games felt the slowest to me

although there is stuff like Furi that tries to have the souls-like anticipatory combat but much more uptempo. i feel like I can get into that

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i have room in my heart for many different games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love Ys and Souls

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ys games have conditioned me to expect my sword to slice through everything like butter and whirl around like a dervish

Unfortunately until Crosscode comes out the only other game that really came close was Shining Force NEO for PS2. maybe hammerwatch with a certain build

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
All the Souls games are great, but I'm surprised how much DS3 has grown on me. After a cycle through NG+ I think I like it even more than Demon's now, probably on par with DS1. Also I dislike DS2 a whole lot less after doing some co-op and embracing the love of ultra greatswords, but it still feels more like a sequel to EverGrace than a real Souls game to me.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

Ys games have conditioned me to expect my sword to slice through everything like butter and whirl around like a dervish

Unfortunately until Crosscode comes out the only other game that really came close was Shining Force NEO for PS2. maybe hammerwatch with a certain build

My friend, have you heard the good news of musou?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I hate Ys and Souls, but they are still good games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

chumbler posted:

My friend, have you heard the good news of musou?
I have One Piece Warriors 3 but luffy is kind of slow. i may have to unlock the right character for how i like to play

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

They still make Ys games. Anew one came out this year

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I liked Ys because it reminded me of Dark Souls more than other more recent games that have tried to directly emulate them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm playing the new world of warcraft expansion and I'm sad that you can't get demon hunter weapons that don't look like gigantic cosplay props. There's all these demon hunter npcs in Burning Crusade that have sensible sized weapons but all you get to use is

Like c'mon now.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I unironically like Blizzard's giant weapons and shoulder pads. I think they look cool.

• Locked thread