Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Brown Recluse bites aren't deadly, just extremely painful and gross. Your skin my necrotize around the bite, but as long as you keep it clean and it doesn't get infected, you should be fine.
I guess if you are a kid or elderly, it might be deadly. I think some people have like an allergic reaction that attacks the whole body, too, but not most folks.
But they aren't like Black Widow spiders, where it can literally kill you if you are unlucky enough and put you in the hospital regardless.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Yikes.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Aleph Null posted:

Brown Recluse bites aren't deadly, just extremely painful and gross. Your skin my necrotize around the bite, but as long as you keep it clean and it doesn't get infected, you should be fine.
I guess if you are a kid or elderly, it might be deadly. I think some people have like an allergic reaction that attacks the whole body, too, but not most folks.
But they aren't like Black Widow spiders, where it can literally kill you if you are unlucky enough and put you in the hospital regardless.

Eh, Black Widows likely only gonna kill you if you re kid or elderly. If you're a somewhat healthy adult, it won't kill you, but it'll probably hurt a whole lot.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

At this rate McEldowney is going to have to introduce two new characters every month so they can fall hopelessly in lust and get married and have sex in time for the next pair to show up.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

1 what? Include your units god drat you.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Pop Team Epic

People seem to like HCC better than PTE, which is understandable, so do I, but you may be amused by some official merch:

Honey Come Chatka

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Kennel posted:

Nancy

Today's Dogg™ (yes, really)

e.

Personally I think that we all should encourage Gilchrist to become a full-time poet.

As a former copy editor ... that poem is gonna kill me. I desperately need to get in there and fix the punctuation, spacing, and references (it's "They Call the Wind Maria," not "Mariah").

Also, Gilchrist apparently doesn't know the difference between a Brooklyn accent and ebonics.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does that surprise you about an old man wearing a cowboy hat for no reason?

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (December 5, 1951)

Nancy (January 19, 1944)

Wash Tubbs (September 18, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (October 17, 1923)

Lil' Abner (June 16, 1937)

Barney Google (October 18, 1922)

Alley Oop (January 17, 1934)

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

treasureplane posted:

Wash Tubbs (September 18, 1929)

At this point I want to travel back in time and write in to the effect of "Sure, fine, just quit stalling already."

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

SomeMathGuy posted:

I think it's a personification of suicide and the dad is just BSing his son because he's planning to off himself, but I'll admit the "Fear Him" take is a bit more entertaining.

That's how I always read it when I've seen it. I thought it was pretty straight-forward but I guess not.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

At this rate McEldowney is going to have to introduce two new characters every month so they can fall hopelessly in lust and get married and have sex in time for the next pair to show up.

I thought he was already doing that.

It's All Right Chief Dharma

So...is this actually a thing? High school students getting apprenticeship programs in an office environment? I'd never heard of such a thing before the last comic outed her as a high school student and even now I'm kind of disbelieving.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

My guess on the pusher cartoon is that it's the personification of suicide and the kid would have killed himself but since he's getting a Game Boy he won't. Although if a stolen meatball will send you over the edge, I doubt it will be long before something else does.

Selachian posted:

As a former copy editor ... that poem is gonna kill me. I desperately need to get in there and fix the punctuation, spacing, and references (it's "They Call the Wind Maria," not "Mariah").

Also, Gilchrist apparently doesn't know the difference between a Brooklyn accent and ebonics.
Hey! Another former copy editor! Yeah, it's a mess. I also don't like the all caps words at the end.
Man on Fire's a good movie. I've never actually seen Finding Forrester, but like a lot of people I do occasionally find myself saying "You're the man now, dog!" in a terrible Sean Connery impersonation.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Well I for one look forward to seeing this band. I have hopes for a Gwar-esque thing, but my guess is that this is going to wind up being more about Iris being old and feeling out of place among these younger people and not about "these crazy kids with their loud rock music."

Rex Morgan MD

"Do you want to tell her who won the election or should I?"

Secret Agent X-9

So there are three unrelated crimes going on here all at once, or they're all mixed together amongst one group? I'm going to have to start taking notes on these storylines when the next one starts.

Apartment 3-G

The Professor's making time with another man's wife. For shame.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Are they gonna make Sarah dumb ? I wish

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Some Guy TT posted:

So...is this actually a thing? High school students getting apprenticeship programs in an office environment? I'd never heard of such a thing before the last comic outed her as a high school student and even now I'm kind of disbelieving.

Here in Italy it's... sort of a thing. Some schools do a so-called "work experience" in which for about a week, instead of going to school, students go to whatever workplace (usually they pick from a list the school provides), and do actual work. Usually office work, so they don't fall afoul of OSHA's local equivalent. Sometimes they do a month full-time at a workplace during summer vacation, get paid something (when I did it a dozen-odd years ago it was like four euros per hour? I forget) and get school credit.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Rex and June will try to cure Sarah's memory by causing various traumatic brain injuries and hilarity ensues.
---

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Brooke's whole "we must not gently caress~make love~ before marriage because to do otherwise would be ~improper~" infuriates me for some reason I can't really put into words.

It doesn't help that he just invalidated his whole stupid plot point we've been sitting through for the past god-knows-how-many months due to one of the characters just holding a bullshit 30-second "wedding".

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Some Guy TT posted:

This is the only thread I post in and we're getting a new one in a few days. Are you trying to get me to leave again?

If that qualifies as shitposting now no wonder everyone in this country hates each other.

You're the McEldowney of this thread. Take your political ~~hot takes~~ to D&D.

Adam Ames

That Rookie from the 13th Squad

Ella Cinders

Quitting Mrya North 'cause it's boring (if anyone disagrees and really wants it, holler).

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

I guess Team Evans got bored of the Les business. We're not even going to finish out the week.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mikl posted:

Here in Italy it's... sort of a thing. Some schools do a so-called "work experience" in which for about a week, instead of going to school, students go to whatever workplace (usually they pick from a list the school provides), and do actual work. Usually office work, so they don't fall afoul of OSHA's local equivalent. Sometimes they do a month full-time at a workplace during summer vacation, get paid something (when I did it a dozen-odd years ago it was like four euros per hour? I forget) and get school credit.

"What I Love Most About Propane," by David Kalaiki-Alii
Strickland Propene does not have a vending machine. It smells, and I thank God every day I get home that I didn't get exploded. The end.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Evil Mastermind posted:

Brooke's whole "we must not gently caress~make love~ before marriage because to do otherwise would be ~improper~" infuriates me for some reason I can't really put into words.

It doesn't help that he just invalidated his whole stupid plot point we've been sitting through for the past god-knows-how-many months due to one of the characters just holding a bullshit 30-second "wedding".

Yeah a "lay wedding" carries all the weight of a promise ring without the need for fifty cents and a supermarket prize machine

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
Use this one weird trick discovered by blue balls to be joined in the eyes of God for FREE! Justices and priests HATE THIS!!

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Some Guy TT posted:

Internships are definitely a thing here in the USA. We normally farm out for interns right after senior graduation so they are 18. They work for free in an area they are interested in and see if they like the environment and if they are a good fit for the company. After that, they may be offered a job, or more likely, they'll just peddle that experience into some kind of college credit.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
That governor is about to kill a man.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

More often than not they'll just get saddled with the job of doing all the poo poo no one else can be bothered with. You get paid... with experience! INTERNSHIP.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Am I right in thinking this is the first time we have seen a bulldog on Ballard Street?

Twerp
Feb 25, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

This is the only thread I post in and we're getting a new one in a few days. Are you trying to get me to leave again?

Breaking my lurking streak just to tell you that you're a good poster and I like what you bring to the table. Please don't let the local lunatics drive you off.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Maggio Nollaig: the latest musical sensation of Irish-Italian rap.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Maggio Nollaig: the latest musical sensation of Irish-Italian rap.

Johnny and the Generic Nondescripts.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Twerp posted:

Breaking my lurking streak just to tell you that you're a good poster and I like what you bring to the table. Please don't let the local lunatics drive you off.

Aw, you're sweet. Here, have another.

It's All Right Chief Dharma

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County did it better than Working Daze ever will. :smith:

Peanuts (December 31, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

For the love of God, nobody tell him what happened to Claire Kincaid.

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (March 3-4, 1930)

Thimble Theater, in which Castor is jaw-droppingly capable. (July 17, 1930)

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"Do you want to tell her who won the election or should I?"

Sarah: "Can we go to the zoo and see Harambe when I'm better?"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think it's because precise adherence to Victorian-era Christian sexual morality, in a person who is obviously highly oversexed in a nonstandard way and doesn't appear to have any actual religious faith whatsoever, starts to feel less like a code of conduct and more like a fetish.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Brooke feels like a m'lady type.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
He's a malady, alright.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's actually really noble and pure that I repress and deny my sexual feelings and transfer them to music & art, and the entire rest of the world is just a bunch of dumb crude jocks who get turned on by the meat bodies.

*draws gigantic mouth with 58 teeth* Yes. This is what sex looks like

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

It's actually really noble and pure that I repress and deny my sexual feelings and transfer them to music & art, and the entire rest of the world is just a bunch of dumb crude jocks who get turned on by the meat bodies.

*draws gigantic mouth with 58 teeth* Yes. This is what sex looks like

I'M ON TO YOU

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

The TSA must be pretty lax over in the Tracy universe.

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Oh that's right, it's garbage day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006