Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Marmaduke! posted:

I understand the concept of pacing, but it's like when Itchy and Scratchy are on their way to the fireworks factory, you expect the payoff to be from the fireworks. If they just randomly blow up in the middle of the road after leaving the fireworks factory without incident (or if a totally bogus cartoon dog shows up) then it feels off.

It's more like if they're looking for the monster in a horror movie, and hear a noise, and it's just a cat, and then the monster jumps them from behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Marmaduke! posted:

I understand the concept of pacing, but it's like when Itchy and Scratchy are on their way to the fireworks factory, you expect the payoff to be from the fireworks. If they just randomly blow up in the middle of the road after leaving the fireworks factory without incident (or if a totally bogus cartoon dog shows up) then it feels off.

Yeah this kind of pacing is cool and good I don't know what your quibble is. It's supposed to mess with you, that's the idea.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Marmaduke! posted:

That's called comedy. A comedic subversion of your expectations happens.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ohhhhhhh

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Yeah this kind of pacing is cool and good I don't know what your quibble is. It's supposed to mess with you, that's the idea.

Well in that case, I declare this irritation to be truly irrational! I've always found cat scares to be cheap devices rather than cool and good (sometimes I can enjoy them), but each to their own.

The third Hobbit movie did this as well, by acting like the weasely aide was going to get his comeuppance, and then it just never happens- the ultimate subversion (although it did in the extended edition).

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

RagnarokAngel posted:

People aren't always reasonable. The point is when people die, people want someone to blame. Preferably someone still alive, otherwise it lacks emotional catharsis.

Avengers was Howard Stark and S.H.I.E.L.D.'s fault for messing around with the Tesseract after Steve Rogers thoughtfully dropped to the bottom of the ocean because he knew it was too dangerous. The Avengers clean up the fall out of that mess. What would they have done after nuking the city and realizing that it just sort of slowed them down a bit?
Age of Ultron was entirely Tony Stark's fault. He was using the staff and the mind gem that they had after Avengers and should not have.
Winter Soldier showed us that S.H.I.E.L.D. had been heavily infiltrated by Hydra and had been doing their bidding since almost the beginning.
Tony was brain zapped into super-PTSD by Wanda who, by the way, was created with Loki's staff when it was in Hydra's hands. That led to him feeling ultra-guilty and thinking everything was his fault (because it was) but wanting to hold everyone else responsible for his own bad actions.
Civil War happened because Tony Stark needed a therapist.
Tony had the power to take the blame he deserved and suffer the consequences. Instead he drags everyone else down with him, the Avengers, a teenager named Peter Parker, and, if you believe Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is canon, every single powered person in the USA.

The answer is to go back in time and kill Howard Stark after Captain America is created. Because Captain America is amazing. if he had lived through all the intervening years, he may not have been a man out of time who had a bit of trouble adjusting. He may have saved Bucky decades earlier. He may have stopped the Hydra infiltration of S.H.I.E.L.D. He could have married Peggy Carter instead of crushing on her niece or grand-niece or whatever like a weirdo (even though Peggy's only known sibling was shown to have died in the Agent Carter TV show, so where did she come from).

That's my irrational movie moment. All of the MCU. But I watch them anyway because I like them. But I also hate them. Except Ant-man and Guardians of the Galaxy; those were nearly perfect.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Aleph Null posted:

Good Morning, Vietnam, Patch Adams, and A Beautiful Mind were the same way.
Pedantic nerds got upset over the lack of accuracy. Meanwhile, some people just went and enjoyed the movies.
The best possible case is that people who enjoy the films get interested enough in the subject to do their own research, read a book, watch a documentary, or at least read the Wikipedia page.
Worst case, and more likely, people will start quoting the movie at parties as literal fact and make themselves feel smart but look dumb.

Hell, I believed Amityville Horror was real until I was in my mid-20's because, after all, it is based on a true story.

Yeah, gently caress those assholes who demand truth in biopics. Spielberg should have ended Lincoln with a segment where old Abe talks about how much he loves enslaving them niggers.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Yeah, and if any fuckhead wants the TRUE story of cracking the Enigma machine they can watch U-571 like a proper patriot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yeah, gently caress those assholes who demand truth in biopics. Spielberg should have ended Lincoln with a segment where old Abe talks about how much he loves enslaving them niggers.

It should have ended by revealing that the main vampire from Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was behind the American Civil War all along.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Aleph Null posted:

Civil War happened because Tony Stark needed a therapist.

actually it happened because Captain America wanted to kiss and marry the Winter Soldier and decided he could only do this by punching his friends a lot. they dropped the "government ownership of the avengers" thing after about 10 minutes and it was all just "i need to help my boyfriend, who i love, and not ever try any legal means to do so" from then on

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Actually, I am a pedant about it. I never saw Beautiful Mind or Imitation Game precisely because they make up fake drama instead of using their real lives to tell the story.
I'm envious of people who can watch movies like that without nitpicking.

dordreff posted:

actually it happened because Captain America wanted to kiss and marry the Winter Soldier and decided he could only do this by punching his friends a lot. they dropped the "government ownership of the avengers" thing after about 10 minutes and it was all just "i need to help my boyfriend, who i love, and not ever try any legal means to do so" from then on

I also watch Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. and they make a big deal out of it. I haven't seen Civil War since it was in theaters.

I'm probably projecting from the show.

If Bucky got a haircut, he and Steve would be quite a handsome couple. Well, after they fix his arm, too.

Aleph Null has a new favorite as of 00:56 on Dec 29, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Man, the uncanny valley is on display in Rogue One something fierce. Peter Cushing died over 20 years ago, can't you just hire an actor who sort of resembles him and just expect the audience to know it's the same character?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

poo poo, just write Tarkin out of it. He's away on Empire business and his next-in-command is the effective Tarkin.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Marmaduke! posted:

Yeah, and if any fuckhead wants the TRUE story of cracking the Enigma machine they can watch U-571 like a proper patriot.

:master:

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

WampaLord posted:

poo poo, just write Tarkin out of it. He's away on Empire business and his next-in-command is the effective Tarkin.

Look Who's Tarkin Too.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
At least if Tarkin was out they might have wrote a better motivation for Krennic than "Guy who doesn't want to get in trouble with his bosses."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Apropos of nothing and a few pages late but, yeah. Big Bang Theory is just awful and its popularity irrationally irritates me. My mother records it constantly and tries to get me to watch it to no avail. Two and A Half Men, Family Matters, Full House and...well poo poo...let's be honest, probably 50 really popular sitcoms fall into this category for me.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I thought they did a pretty good job with Tarkin. Princess Leia on the other hand... :staredog:

It doesn't help that they zoom in on her face

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Man, the uncanny valley is on display in Rogue One something fierce. Peter Cushing died over 20 years ago, can't you just hire an actor who sort of resembles him and just expect the audience to know it's the same character?

They did that in episode 3 with Wayne Pygram and it looked great

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
What are these sticks for?

Are they space clubs for beating people?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Apropos of nothing and a few pages late but, yeah. Big Bang Theory is just awful and its popularity irrationally irritates me. My mother records it constantly and tries to get me to watch it to no avail. Two and A Half Men, Family Matters, Full House and...well poo poo...let's be honest, probably 50 really popular sitcoms fall into this category for me.

Exactly this. It's just a generic, bland sitcom. What's so goddamn special about it??

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Are they space clubs for beating people?

Yeah I think it's her signatory billy clubs aka 90% of her personality. Which leads me to 1) That's some seriously terrible body armor stormtroopers wear. How is it even possible to design a helmet that can't take a hit from a stick without you being knocked unconscious. It must be the worst having to put all that crap on every day knowing that it will protect you against exactly zero things - anything and everything can shoot right through it and it offers less blunt force protection than a cheap garbage motorcycle helmet. 2) When your hero looks super bored beating up baddies you are doing it wrong.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Speaking of unlikable characters, one character I found really annoying was the autistic character from Alphas, and I feel kind of guilty about feeling that way. :(
He (Gary) is almost the only thing I like about the show. Dr Rosen is the worst character by far, that guy is just an obnoxious tool.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Bates posted:

Yeah I think it's her signatory billy clubs aka 90% of her personality.

What? She never uses them and they seemed to be just part of the outfit. Are they there to hit people in the face when you turn too fast when you're in the line at the Imperial Cafeteria?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

What? She never uses them and they seemed to be just part of the outfit. Are they there to hit people in the face when you turn too fast when you're in the line at the Imperial Cafeteria?

Given she takes that armor off of an inspection/flight control guy I think they're light-up sticks to direct landing aircraft. You can see the light-up part sticking out of the bottom of the armor's backpack.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Yeah you're right - those are not the sticks I was looking for.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Phanatic posted:

My real problem with Tarkin was the voice. Peter Cushing had a fairly distinctive delivery and timbre to his speech and the person they had doing his lines in Rogue One managed to mimmick exactly none of it. I found Leia less distracting because she was onscreen for a lot less time and only had one word to speak (and, let's be honest, it's not like Carrie Fisher had exactly what anyone would call a really consistent delivery for any of Leia's lines between the movies).

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

And that one word of hers is just chopped out of ANH.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

NorgLyle posted:

My real problem with Tarkin was the voice. Peter Cushing had a fairly distinctive delivery and timbre to his speech and the person they had doing his lines in Rogue One managed to mimmick exactly none of it.

That too.

Remember the guy who played Bane in the Matrix sequels? He did a bang-on impression of Hugo Weaving's Agent.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Tunicate posted:

They did that in episode 3 with Wayne Pygram and it looked great

I think I read somewhere that his face was covered with so many prosthetics that actually speaking or emoting was impossible.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Aleph Null posted:

Actually, I am a pedant about it. I never saw Beautiful Mind or Imitation Game precisely because they make up fake drama instead of using their real lives to tell the story.
I'm envious of people who can watch movies like that without nitpicking.

I also watch Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. and they make a big deal out of it. I haven't seen Civil War since it was in theaters.

I'm probably projecting from the show.

If Bucky got a haircut, he and Steve would be quite a handsome couple. Well, after they fix his arm, too.

This guy can't watch biopics because he's a stickler for accuracy, but has no problem watching a loving marvel tv show.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well yeah no poo poo, the latter makes absolutely no bones about being accurate to real people.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Maestro posted:

This guy can't watch biopics because he's a stickler for accuracy, but has no problem watching a loving marvel tv show.

Do you not understand the difference between fiction and non-fiction?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Biopics are fiction

quote:

News travels fast. Several people have told me dubiously that they heard the movie was "fictionalized." Well, of course it was. Those who seek the truth about a man from the film of his life might as well seek it from his loving grandmother. Most biopics, like most grandmothers, see the good in a man and demonize his enemies. They pass silently over his imprudent romances. In dramatizing his victories, they simplify them. And they provide the best roles to the most interesting characters. If they didn't, we wouldn't pay to see them.

"The Hurricane" is not a documentary but a parable, in which two lives are saved by the power of the written word. We see Carter's concern early in the film that the manuscript of his book may be taken from his cell (it is protected by one of several guards who develops respect for him). We see how his own reading strengthens him; his inspirations include Malcolm X. And we see how his book, which he hoped would win his freedom, does so--not because of its initial sales, readers and reviews, but because one kid with a quarter is attracted to Hurricane's photo on the cover. And then the book wins Lesra's freedom, too.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 11:51 on Dec 29, 2016

Boron_the_Moron
Apr 28, 2013
From a while back, but in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, there's a scene where the leader-guy of SHIELD (can't recall his name or title right now) has revealed his role as an agent of Hydra, and has a group of VIPs held captive in his office at SHIELD headquarters (now controlled by Hydra). He's talking to the VIPs about some stuff I don't remember - the exact details aren't really important - when Black Widow suddenly reveals that she was in disguise as one of the VIPs, and attempts to rescue them. She reveals herself by peeling off some kind of sci-fi holographic facemask, that was able to make her look like a much older woman, with a distinctly different facial structure.

The thing is, I don't recall that mask's existence being established at any point in the story prior to that moment. It feels like a total cheat. When did Black Widow get hold of that? Did Nick Fury give it to her, prior to the heroes assaulting SHIELD headquarters? Did she take it with her when she went rogue from SHIELD? If so, why didn't she use it earlier?

Am I dumb? Did I miss something? Is there a deleted scene somewhere that explains this?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Polaron posted:

Given she takes that armor off of an inspection/flight control guy I think they're light-up sticks to direct landing aircraft. You can see the light-up part sticking out of the bottom of the armor's backpack.
Its this. You can see one of the troopers using them to guide the shuttle in to land.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Boron_the_Moron posted:

From a while back, but in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, there's a scene where the leader-guy of SHIELD (can't recall his name or title right now) has revealed his role as an agent of Hydra, and has a group of VIPs held captive in his office at SHIELD headquarters (now controlled by Hydra). He's talking to the VIPs about some stuff I don't remember - the exact details aren't really important - when Black Widow suddenly reveals that she was in disguise as one of the VIPs, and attempts to rescue them. She reveals herself by peeling off some kind of sci-fi holographic facemask, that was able to make her look like a much older woman, with a distinctly different facial structure.

The thing is, I don't recall that mask's existence being established at any point in the story prior to that moment. It feels like a total cheat. When did Black Widow get hold of that? Did Nick Fury give it to her, prior to the heroes assaulting SHIELD headquarters? Did she take it with her when she went rogue from SHIELD? If so, why didn't she use it earlier?

Am I dumb? Did I miss something? Is there a deleted scene somewhere that explains this?

Sounds like the kind of thing that you'd want a spy just to have on hand all the time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

And SHIELD has giant flying aircraft carriers so a holographic mask shouldn't be too big a stretch

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Aleph Null posted:

That's my irrational movie moment. All of the MCU. But I watch them anyway because I like them. But I also hate them. Except Ant-man and Guardians of the Galaxy; those were nearly perfect.

This except also including Jessica Jones and the reason I love them is because they still rule even if they weren't Marvel things.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Boron_the_Moron posted:

I can't remember it being in the movie earlier than that, but it definitely shows up in Agents of SHIELD as a piece of equipment that agents like Black Widow have access to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Not a movie, but looking for opinions - Started watching Season 2 of Penny Dreadful - just watched episode 5 so no spoilers please, but how does everyone find the treatment of Angelique, the transwoman that Dorian starts dating? I like what they are doing so far because while most background characters notice something even if they are not aware of what, Dorian treats her like a woman through and through despite her genitalia - he never deadnames her, never misgenders her in his speech and seems so far to love her no matter how she chooses to present herself.