Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

You hear a distant Zot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Shadow creatures + zin + pan scumming = 2ez

Shadow creatures just dumps daevas on you it is fantastic.

Holy poo poo, that's amazing. I would have never thought that it'd only spawn holy critters in Pan when you're worshipping a good god.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Speleothing posted:

Holy poo poo, that's amazing. I would have never thought that it'd only spawn holy critters in Pan when you're worshipping a good god.

It gives you angels, daevas, cherubs, and toenail golems.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Oh, Zin-ism. There's nothing chaotic/corrupt/weird about making a golem out of discarded toenails.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Roctavian posted:

Oh, Zin-ism. There's nothing chaotic/corrupt/weird about making a golem out of discarded toenails.

Zin loving loves turning people into salt so he's not really one to criticize others for being weird.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

You can be weird, so long as there is purity in your weirdness.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Died in Zot 5 from what appears to be a lack of damage output. I was using a +9 pain trident with like 20 necro and 18 polearms. Was not cutting it. Orbs ate me up.

edit

Wrote Halberd first by mistake.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 27, 2016

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Halberds are the worst 2-hand polearm in terms of raw damage output.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Had a trident, sorry.

Here is the pastebin. http://pastebin.com/K14cr2d8

This was my most successful "caster" by far. Tho a +10 plate rand art basically carried me through the early game.

Necro Summons did nothing against orbs.

If I do it over again, I would do less EXP in Necromancy and get a 2hander online. I as almost there anyway, but I have a psychological attachment to shields.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 27, 2016

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Anything with rN+++ is totally immune to pain effects. Orbs of fire and ancient liches and curse toes and electric golems have rN+++. Pain is not very good there unless you are killing dragons.

e: Basically you were swinging an unbranded trident and should have swapped to anything else. Even that +6 demon trident would probably work out better even though its brand was equally useless there.

Darox fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 27, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Pain is a really bad brand for endgame in general. Its fine for chewing through draconians but most of the really dangerous enemies are totally immune to its effects. Don't even think about bringing it into extended.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Darox posted:

Anything with rN+++ is totally immune to pain effects. Orbs of fire and ancient liches and curse toes and electric golems have rN+++. Pain is not very good there unless you are killing dragons.

Yeah. I as relying on Dispel undead and summons to kill rN+++s before that.

Obv dispel undead wont work.

Internet Kraken posted:

Pain is a really bad brand for endgame in general. Its fine for chewing through draconians but most of the really dangerous enemies are totally immune to its effects. Don't even think about bringing it into extended.

Yeah I as just trying for a 3 rune win.

Darox posted:

e: Basically you were swinging an unbranded trident and should have swapped to anything else. Even that +6 demon trident would probably work out better even though its brand was equally useless there.

I only saw one brand scroll!!! I was waiting for another to hopefully get elec or something on that demon trident. That was my goal at least.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 27, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vaults 5 with Death Channel and Kiku corpses to summon is pretty easy tho. The easiest V5 clear I've ever done.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

euphronius posted:

Yeah. I as relying on Dispel undead and summons to kill rN+++s before that.

Yeah pain + Dispel Undead gets you through most things (pain also shreds Orb Guardians). For orbs you will need might or berserk, or just skip them but that's gotten harder in current versions. The unbranded demon trident is better for them, but again you really want might or berserk. Berserk can be risky itself, also.

I've used simulacra against orbs before but it seems to be a real gamble, sometimes they just all melt right away.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Simulacrum never stop being good if you worship Kiku. Yeah they die fast against some enemies but with corpse drops you can make massive armies of them. No reason not to stroll into each chamber with a legion of ice behind you.

If you're just doing a 3 rune game, burn every buff consumable you have when fighting an OoF.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
It feels like you don't understand that all problems for a necromancer are solved with infestation.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Gonna have to jump ship to TSO for hell. I didn't find any weapon better than the elemental staff and shadow creatures + zin doesn't work in hell.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

New necro and I found a +3 spear of pain on D1.

Game is taunting me.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Someone explain god gifts to me.

I train in axes. I only use axes. I get a gift from Trog -- +8 Quick Blade. The hell?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Shinino Kage posted:

Someone explain god gifts to me.

I train in axes. I only use axes. I get a gift from Trog -- +8 Quick Blade. The hell?

God gifts work like acquirement, but with some added weight to certain features, like Trog giving antimagic more often. Now, how likely are you to get something useful when you acquire weapons? There's your answer.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

Floodkiller posted:

God gifts work like acquirement, but with some added weight to certain features, like Trog giving antimagic more often. Now, how likely are you to get something useful when you acquire weapons? There's your answer.

Which goes back to what I said a while back. Why does acquirement give you things that you have no use for? I dunno, I just think that acquirement / god gifts should give you something you have skill points in (even if from cross training)

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Shinino Kage posted:

Which goes back to what I said a while back. Why does acquirement give you things that you have no use for? I dunno, I just think that acquirement / god gifts should give you something you have skill points in (even if from cross training)

It is weighted towards weapons training. It's just, sometimes you roll snake eyes. And sometimes you roll a bunch of snake eyes. No grampa okawaru my swordsminotaur don't want another mace for Christmas, and no, not another unenchanted hat either while you're at it!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Shinino Kage posted:

If you had the option to restrict acquirement down to a single weapon class, I feel you would come back and ask why you can be gifted a +5 hand axe of distortion when you acquire axes. The devs intended acquirement to not be a wish system, just a way to force floorgod to spawn something that is interesting on demand, even if it may not be interesting to you specifically. I'm indifferent to either approach, but maybe one of the devs can explain in better detail why acquirement is preferred over wishes for Crawl design.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

Floodkiller posted:

If you had the option to restrict acquirement down to a single weapon class, I feel you would come back and ask why you can be gifted a +5 hand axe of distortion when you acquire axes. The devs intended acquirement to not be a wish system, just a way to force floorgod to spawn something that is interesting on demand, even if it may not be interesting to you specifically. I'm indifferent to either approach, but maybe one of the devs can explain in better detail why acquirement is preferred over wishes for Crawl design.

Actually when I brought this up originally, I said I'd be fine with that. And it's more about acquirement than God Gifts, as acquirement is fairly rare. If you're asking for a weapon, it should give you a weapon type that you're trained or cross-trained in. If it happens to be a Hand Axe and not an Executioner Axe, then that's bad luck, and is okay.

Getting a short blade when all you're using is maces, though, is just frustration waiting to boil over.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Sometimes you get a God gift that's outside your skillset, but also completely amazing, so you change your plan. I like it when that happens, adds a bit of variety.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

euphronius posted:

New necro and I found a +3 spear of pain on D1.

Game is taunting me.

NOw the floor god gave me a +3 Bardiche of Pain :ohdear:

Probably too big to ever use well.

edit

Demolished by the Minotaur with a rod of innacuracy. He killed me in 4 hits nice.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 27, 2016

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Well you basically got shot by this games equivalent of an anti-tank gun.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Shinino Kage posted:

Actually when I brought this up originally, I said I'd be fine with that. And it's more about acquirement than God Gifts, as acquirement is fairly rare. If you're asking for a weapon, it should give you a weapon type that you're trained or cross-trained in. If it happens to be a Hand Axe and not an Executioner Axe, then that's bad luck, and is okay.

Getting a short blade when all you're using is maces, though, is just frustration waiting to boil over.
Some god gifts/acquirements outside your skillset can be useful resist/evokable effect sticks. Some may be indirectly useful if they're something a trove asks for(they can still ask for highly enchanted demon weapons, iirc). Some you might get early enough to tempt you to change your skill plan.

And a lot will be hot garbage either way, but so will weapons of the type you want. They get so redundant that in the long run you're not going to be using most of the ones that spawn anyway.

(Also iirc a lot of things use the acquirement code to create good items in vaults/etc, so changing it would have further-reaching effects than you'd think)

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
3-rune win with a GrFi of Hepliaklqana. Hep's hexer ancestor is really fun and powerful, to the point where I'm sure it'll get nerfed soon. My strategy for most of this game was to hide behind my ancestor, skeletons/zombies, and shadow creatures and poke enemies with polearms. Shortly before getting the Vaults rune and doing Zot I exchanged that randart glaive for the demon trident and a shield; still not sure if that was the right call, but it worked out.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why
Hadn't read any of the trunk commits lately, but now I'm much less confused why I'm 13 runes in without seeing HW or haste.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Playing an ogre summoner (warper secondary) over on cbro trunk, nearly died to caustic shrikes at 2:50 in the morning. Lucky survival, saving it and calling it a night.
http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/LordSloth/LordSloth.txt
    Highlights:
  • +10 giant club of flaming I will not be using
  • +18 shield of the Gong {rElec rN+ MR+ EV-5}, which I grabbed off an orc priest on D:7
  • +3 hat of Pondering {ponderous, MR+ MP+10 Int+5}, because of course gong isn't enough.
  • brooch of Shielding {Reflect SH+8}, what else could I wear when I've got the Gong?
  • +5 demon whip of electrocution, b - the +6 shillelagh "Devastator" {shatter} (salts), c - the +7 eveningstar "Ympagow" {antimagic, MP+9 Str+3 Dex+6} (random tengu in the depths), d - a +5 sacred scourge of holy wrath (Mennas, surprisingly tough)
  • +18 gold dragon scales of Beauty (worn) {rPois rF+ rC+ MR+}, taken off a different random tengu

I will most certainly splat this puppy in amazing fashion - but first, I'm gonna sleep.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Shillegah is one of the unrands I've never seen. Makes me sad since it sounds pretty fun.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's kind of underwhelming, the damage just isn't that good

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

Yeah, it can't compare to a battle-axe. It is a one-hander with 8 base damage. The explosion only seems to happen when I deal damage, and since my skill is around 14...

The explosion scales with melee damage done, so it actually does a great job clearing chaff, especially evasive monsters, as long as you aim for the weak.

On the other hand, this also means you'll see better explosion damage on a dedicated fighter. If you're playing a non-Beogh Orc or a deep dwarf, it's worth a shot.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

It's hilarious if you get your hands on a lot of slaying, though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

loving Shoals are a complete mess. what was the idea behind it. Dear god.

Nuked by an aquamamcer looking for cover .

euphronius fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 28, 2016

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Holy poo poo hill orc monks are fun. Beogh is so incredibly powerful. I can smite, AND get insanely tough orc followers. I'm going to loving steamroll orcish mines when I get there and probably be rolling about 20 orcs deep if everything goes right. What are some good general tips to maximize effectiveness?

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

tweet my meat posted:

Holy poo poo hill orc monks are fun. Beogh is so incredibly powerful. I can smite, AND get insanely tough orc followers. I'm going to loving steamroll orcish mines when I get there and probably be rolling about 20 orcs deep if everything goes right. What are some good general tips to maximize effectiveness?

give good polearms to all your dudes with names

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

tweet my meat posted:

IronicDongz posted:

~the strat~ is to train up only like 4-5 melee orcs at once(so the XP is less split between them) into warlords and gift them all polearms(pref. 1H polearms)

IronicDongz posted:

Monster attack delay with a weapon is (10+[base delay])/2 ex: a monster attacking with a bardiche has an attack delay of 15 and one with a spear has an attack delay of 10 or 11 randomly. Basically the delay they will have is an average of the weapon's delay and 1.0.

This means your orc warlords will output more damage with a spear than a bardiche, because most of their damage per hit comes from their base damage(32), not their weapon, and they'll attack significantly faster. (32+6 at 10.5 delay=36.19 max damage per aut for spear, 32+18 at 15 delay=33.3 max damage per aut on average for bardiche) Then, on top of that, having a 1H weapon means they can get a shield, which is by a long shot the thing which improves their survivability the most(just think about how much more annoying it is to kill monsters with shields than monsters without).

IronicDongz posted:

ps if there's like, an orc wizard or priest or whatever you don't want who keeps getting recalled before orcs you do want you can always kill them without incurring penance via standing in shallow water, using wand of flame on yourself to make steam, then switching spots with them so they get scalded to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

http://crawl.berotato.org:8080/#watch-LordSloth

I've decided I won't enjoy Extended even if I can. Going for the orb of zot with glorious shield gong, hat of pondering, and the best armor i've seen in forever.

Edit: Ascension complete. Gong 100%. Ponderous 100%. Runes? Meh %.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 29, 2016

• Locked thread