Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

NickRoweFillea posted:

What's the argument for keeping Okafor over Noel? Potential? It seems like Embiid and (probably) Simmons do everything Okafor does, but better.

Noel is a free agent and who knows if someone like Brooklyn just decides to throw out a big offer because they seem to love throwing big money at young role players. I'd keep both for now and figure it out over the rest of the season, but I can understand wanting to walk away from someone you aren't prepared to make a big commitment to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Resigning Noel this offseason in any capacity would be really stupid for the 76ers. Which is why they should trade him.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Declan MacManus posted:

They don't play Embiid and Okafor together enough to know if it would actually work which seems really weird but whatever

They have been starting them together to figure this out though. They just didn't do it much to start the season because they both were on minutes restrictions, not that weird.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The Okafor/Noel situation is a gordian knot. You cut it in half by trading both

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/814221022828314626

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I listened to the new all Raptors Lowe Post and the people who don't like the Raptors name are insane. Why have a cool and unique name when instead you can be another piss dog???

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

If it's in the book it's Libel not Slander :colbert:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

NickRoweFillea posted:

What's the argument for keeping Okafor over Noel? Potential? It seems like Embiid and (probably) Simmons do everything Okafor does, but better.

They aren't keeping either of them at this point.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah just say "defamation" it's safer. :)

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lessail posted:

I listened to the new all Raptors Lowe Post and the people who don't like the Raptors name are insane. Why have a cool and unique name when instead you can be another piss dog???

Seriously any sports team called bears, bearcats, bobcats, cougars, tiger, lions, eagles, hawks, that hasn't been in existence for more than 60 years needs to pick something else

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I want D-League teams to be renamed after cryptids. Chupacabras are so much cooler than Vipers

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Hell, agreed

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Lessail posted:

If the Raps changed their name, it would be to become the Toronto Drakes and I don't believe any other team uses that nickname unless there is some D-League team named after Carlton Banks that I'm not aware of.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/Dame_Lillard/status/814244095828733952

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Lessail posted:

I get nor liking it because it was a shameless attempt to capitalize on a movie but I'm a fan and hope it never changes. Give me more dinosaur names. The Pittsburgh Pachycephalosauruses would be unstoppable.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Producer: Top 5 player called Shaq to keep him off Shaqtin’ A Fool
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/12/28/producer-top-5-player-called-shaq-to-keep-him-off-shaqtin-a-fool/

After sixteen years together Phil Jackson and Jeanie Buss end engagement. Tragedy.

It comes straight from the top. He should namedrop Adam Silver for maximum $$$ loss.

IcePhoenix posted:

And because you don't have a physical copy of the ticket you can't even give the drat things away to a friend or whatever if you just wanted to do that instead.

:lol:

Dejan Bimble posted:

It's a discretely curved seat designed so that seatback cameras can take regular upskirt, and when a sensor is covered by a lean, downblouse photos, which are then posted to the season ticket holders only premium site, with a dynamic url that's sent via text

Quite frankly, it's perverted and wrong, and the Timberwolves ownership and operations personnel should be censured by the league, until the site is either made public for all wolves fans or closed permanently

If it was legal the person running https://www.flashseat.com would be a millionaire overnight.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Yuck

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
DeMar is going to advance to all time leading scorer for the Raps franchise tonight

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Raptor nickname is legit now. It's been around long enough that I don't ever think about its history. I used to think the huskies was good but that was because I wanted a distraction from how bad they were. Raps own.
Looking forward to them playing amazing in the first half but being down 3

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Hornets win tonight 117-108 book it

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I want Karl to shoot on every team in the league. Do Memphis next George!!!

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

ChickenMedium posted:

If the Raps changed their name, it would be to become the Toronto Drakes and I don't believe any other team uses that nickname unless there is some D-League team named after Carlton Banks that I'm not aware of.

He needs to show up to more than just gsw games for that to happen

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Guys the process needs our help to get his crush let's help!!!

https://twitter.com/JoelEmbiid/status/814263136471527425

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Embiid is rapidly becoming a genuine national treasure

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Parmesan Basil posted:

Hornets win tonight 117-108 book it

Watching from Orlando, Magic win 111-107

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

predicto posted:

Embiid is rapidly becoming a genuine national treasure

It's so great that his play can actually back up his twitter game. Because boy is his twitter game elite.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Metapod posted:

Guys the process needs our help to get his crush let's help!!!

https://twitter.com/JoelEmbiid/status/814263136471527425

drummond dating that nickolodeon chick ended up with him having a stress fracture in his back

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
I just made a bet for the knicks vs the Hawks. ($60 to Get back $147)

How screwed am I?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I hope Boogie makes Meyers Leonard cry tonight

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Has to be Harden right? I think he's the only top 5 player that has actually made multiple appearances on shaqtin

edit and he won shaqtin mvp last year

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 29, 2016

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Stotts unloaded on Karl.

https://twitter.com/CHold/status/814282320681127936

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I hope I get to go on a senile bridge burning tour when I retire.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
George Karl just doesn't give a poo poo any more?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

E2M2 posted:

George Karl just doesn't give a poo poo any more?

Chemobrain.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

AARO posted:

I just made a bet for the knicks vs the Hawks. ($60 to Get back $147)

How screwed am I?

Don't bet on NBA games.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I imagine living the year he had to in Sacramento must have caused a lot of resentment to build up that he is just unloading now. they got him on that confidentiality clause :lol:

member that all star break where he was fired, then wasn't? classic.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

dokmo posted:

Yeah, what's weird is that if you watch their games, there is a real lack of pick and roll. A few years ago I watched a bunch of their playoff games against the Bulls from the 90s and it struck me how few pick and rolls there were. Just to make sure, I just watched the first quarter of this random game from 2001. I count zero ball screens. To put that into context, the average NBA team in 2016 has 16 ball screens in the first quarter, and nobody has less than ten. There are a ton of screens in this game, including a lot of back screens which you don't really see today outside a GSW game, but no ball screens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTHMm2Etr5g
:siren: John Crotty alert :siren:

Look at this play. This would absolutely be a pick and roll by 2006, either a mid pnr with Ostertag or a step up with Donyell.

that's funny, I remember announcers kept talking about how great they were at it.. and I guess stockton dribbled around and perhaps ran pass with malone in the vacinity and passed back to him for a 12footer, and that was a pnr then? the pnr was attached to malone shooting wide open mid range shots iirc.

I also seem to recall that screening was a thing for roleplayers in those days, so you are prob riggt that MVP malone was prob not gonna debase himself like that.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Femur posted:

that's funny, I remember announcers kept talking about how great they were at it.. and I guess stockton dribbled around and perhaps ran pass with malone in the vacinity and passed back to him for a 12footer, and that was a pnr then? the pnr was attached to malone shooting wide open mid range shots iirc.

I also seem to recall that screening was a thing for roleplayers in those days, so you are prob riggt that MVP malone was prob not gonna debase himself like that.

I asked four old guys in the office to say the first thing they thought of when I said "Stockton, Malone" and they all said "pick and roll" without hesitation. Those things are intimately associated, like Rodman and rebounding, or Jordan being an rear end in a top hat. There has to be something here, but I don't know what I could be missing. Maybe PNR was used situationally. Maybe they busted it out for the 4th quarter. Or maybe, because in the 90s like every loving play was an isolation, a couple of pick and rolls stood out even more. I'm going to try to track down some more video.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Go Hornets! A classic win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/bleacherreport/status/814297795569991684

• Locked thread