Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Best with money and cars is to be a volunteer corner worker with the SCCA. Free track time, lessons (because young people don't come around often so everyone wants to be a mentor), and you get to put the sticker on your car. Mechanics don't tend to gouge other "car people".

quote:

My boyfriend backed into a parked car in a full driveway today while delivering food. He exchanged information with the car owner, but is unsure as to whether or not his insurance is up to date. The damage done is all superficial, but looks to be at least $1000 in body work should the owner pursue a claim.

I know that he should have been aware of his insurance and that issue itself has been addressed. But I need help in dealing with the situation now. What steps should we take forward from this point, if there is any?

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5k0w5v/hit_a_parked_car_while_uninsured/

Just moved to FL and my girlfriend and I will both need to lease a car posted:

Her credit is sub-600, mine is 700+. I've offered to co-sign her car lease (otherwise she can't afford the payments for the car). Not worried about her running off or our ability to pay the lease.

I can use a friend's car for about a month before I need to lease or finance my own car - how will my co-sign for hers affect my ability to sign for my own in a month?

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5kix88/just_moved_to_a_state_fl_where_my_girlfriend_and/

Switchback fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Switchback posted:

and you get to put the sticker on your car. Mechanics don't tend to gouge other "car people".

Of course they do, half the tuning/mod/track scene is straight up stealing money, there's so much bullshit in that world it boggles my mind. I went to a dyno day with a bunch of those car guys and somehow they are happy with spending $1200 on a sick new downpipe and muffler and then another $800 for a professional tune on a dyno and somehow their BHP went down by 5 but they still posted so many sick instagram photos so it was worth it!

I'm not sure why I'm contributing to car chat. I blame whoever changed the thread title to include the word corvette, that bait is just too tempting.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 28, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Where do low down payment houses with USDA loans fit in here? One of my co-workers who can't be more than 25 (probably less) bought a house in a cheap rural area with a USDA loan and 1% down. I know that's ridiculously BEAM normally, but I'm not sure how USDA loans differ from normal mortgages.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Geez, 100% financing available and can't have more than 115% of the median income for the area they're purchasing in?

Sounds like a BWM recipe for disaster.

edit: I don't know how this works. I can't afford a mortgage where I live now, but according to the USDA website I make too much money to qualify for that program.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ate all the Oreos posted:

I wonder if that poo poo is reported in the ODBCII port that'd be neat to chart...

That standard is pretty old and intended for annotating error states. Progressive Insurance has that Snapshot program where they plug a gadget (that can detect hard braking incidents) into your OBD port to Big Brother your driving, but I assume it just has its own accelerometer.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Krispy Kareem posted:

Tell that to the mortgage agent in 2005 when I was refinancing my house.

I had so many assets I didn't even know I had.
I still remember the more memorable dropdown list items for "Assets" that the credit application software from my old job at a bank had: Art, Collectibles, Chattel (vehicle), Jewelry. Luckily the bank I worked for wasn't so stupid as to put a lot of weight on the "Net Worth" side of credit applications. But that didn't stop clients from trying to convince me that their unverified, totally-legitimate oil painting is "Absolutely worth $10 grand on the open market!" while applying for a loan on a camper.

Most net worth calculations are a load of bullshit.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 28, 2016

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Geez, 100% financing available and can't have more than 115% of the median income for the area they're purchasing in?

Sounds like a BWM recipe for disaster.

edit: I don't know how this works. I can't afford a mortgage where I live now, but according to the USDA website I make too much money to qualify for that program.

Like most subsidized programs there's a steep eligibility cliff and a huge donut hole where you could benefit from the program but are too rich to qualify

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

quote:

car chat

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I want a breast cancer awareness Disney Princes hat.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

That standard is pretty old and intended for annotating error states. Progressive Insurance has that Snapshot program where they plug a gadget (that can detect hard braking incidents) into your OBD port to Big Brother your driving, but I assume it just has its own accelerometer.

I have one from Liberty Mutual. I think it uses your phone's GPS.

It's annoying as hell as accelerating faster than 7 feet per second dings and it's really difficult to not go that fast when merging into traffic from a stop.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

car insurance ding dongle chat

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

It's about money, drat it!

It might even be bad with money if my insurer uses the driving data to increase my rates.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Like that hasn't been the plan all along :capitalism:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

The port has access to the CAN bus and everything is on the CAN bus. I have an ODBCII reader that connects via bluetooth and shows me all sorts of random sensor values my car is dumping to the thing, it's really cool.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

I have one from Liberty Mutual. I think it uses your phone's GPS.

It's annoying as hell as accelerating faster than 7 feet per second dings and it's really difficult to not go that fast when merging into traffic from a stop.

I'm just going to let Geico keep their lovely and flattering actuarial assumptions about my driving until they force me to have some phone app or dongle

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I'm just going to let Geico keep their lovely and flattering actuarial assumptions about my driving until they force me to have some phone app or dongle

State farm is the best of both worlds. You can either get a dongle or self-report my odometer. I just self-report everything because screw that black box.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Liberty Mutual gives you the fancy iPhone compatible OBDII to keep so there's that.

I think I'm on track to save about 12%. But considering I'm not insuring a 16 year old that's actually real money.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Huh, you too? Geico has been the cheapest car insurance company for me, almost to a ridiculous level. When I had my GTI I paid $200/6 months for comprehensive/enough liability to drive through a preschool during recess.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Is that caviar stuffed into a halved cantaloupe?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is that caviar stuffed into a halved cantaloupe?

It is a papaya, the staple of captive toucans.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Residency Evil posted:

Huh, you too? Geico has been the cheapest car insurance company for me, almost to a ridiculous level. When I had my GTI I paid $200/6 months for comprehensive/enough liability to drive through a preschool during recess.

I also have Geico, liability-only coverage on my 16yo Camry is $272/6 months. BWM: living in Michigan, which has the highest car insurance rates in the nation. Subsidizing lifetime medical coverage for the uninsured, aww yeahhhhh.

(Luckily I don't live in Detroit, I'd be paying another 50% on top of that.)

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd
I'd be very interested to hear from anyone using Allstate's DriveWise program (mobile app-based driving pattern record).

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Puppy Galaxy posted:

So you're working out and getting buff so you are strong to do what?

"Getting women" as if they are objects to do what? gently caress them and forget about it? Some life. "Getting women" improves your social status amongst those who hi-five people for being "playa"s. Who gives a drat about being more social amongst those vapid wastes of food and employment?

Video games are a great way to have fun, and enjoy things that are availible to you in life. Not only this, but the making of a game is an art form - by playing through, say, an RPG, you are treated to a grand story that is just overwhelmingly more fufilling than going out, loving some chick, hi-fiving yourself and calling it a night.

Source your quotes.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Something awful.com

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

C.H.O.M.E posted:

Source your quotes.

http://www.somethingawful.com/great-goon-database/great-goon-girls/1/

Here you go.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

ate all the Oreos posted:

Ok but what do you consider "unplanned maintenance" because some cars need a full engine overhaul at like 100,000 but that's planned so it's okay

If you get a testarossa you need to drop the engine out the bottom for an $8,000 timing belt change after every 15,000 miles and that is planned maintenance.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I dunno I love seeing these birds so it's not really punishment.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

NancyPants posted:

I dunno I love seeing these birds so it's not really punishment.

https://scontent-sjc2-1.cdninstagram.com/t50.2886-16/15719558_1508537469174890_4268273627578761216_n.mp4

TAKE YOUR PUNISHMENT

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

:swoon:

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

We get it. You don't like cars. Feel free to post some content other than your dumb bird over and over.

Back to the car chat. My buddy bought a new Chevy 1500 High Country 2 years ago ($55k). He just traded it in for a more sporty looking new Z71 with a ton of upgrades. Pretty sure the trade was purely for looks.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 29, 2016

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

If you're going to contribute to a derail, at least post content too. Reddit.com/personalfinance sort by controversial (legal advice is good too). Lame stories are better than no stories.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5kly8q/cosigned_on_my_brothers_car_loan_and_he_did_a/ posted:

About a year ago my brother asked me to cosign on a car loan for him. Unknowing of the negative consequences that could (and did) happen, I signed because he needed a car to get to work (and I thought I was being a good brother for helping). Fast forward to October of 2016, he was habitually late on all his payments and he racked up a number of tickets on the plates that I assume was under my name. His parents bailed him out with refinancing the loan through their credit union, which should have cleared my name from the debt. However, my credit dropped severely due to the "serious delinquency" of the debt that he was in charge of paying. It's slowly been climbing back up but I'm in a hole and can't get any approval for anything that requires some form of credit.

Is there anything I can do to remove the stain on my credit that he left? The tags of "serious delinquency" and "longs periods of unpaid debt" seem to be holding me back quite a bit.

I'm currently a college student and have a little bit of student loan debt as well, but I'm still enrolled full time so I figure those numbers aren't bringing my credit down as I'm still not needing to make any payments until I graduate.

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Personally, I'm loving the derail bird. How do those little guys not topple forward?! Dawww

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Switchback posted:

If you're going to contribute to a derail, at least post content too. Reddit.com/personalfinance sort by controversial (legal advice is good too). Lame stories are better than no stories.

Personally, I'm loving the derail bird. How do those little guys not topple forward?! Dawww

Hahaha this is the best of both BWM: horses and long lived birds.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Motronic posted:

I'm the car guy who's been driving the 1985.5 (the half year matters) Porsche 944 that he paid $1000 for and put another $3k into over the course of the last 6 years (the overwhelming portion in the first year to get thing back up to snuff). The only thing not included in that figure is fuel.

So what kind of car guy are you when you say you need to spend $$,$$$$ to have fun? Learn how to turn a wrench. It's very satisfying because it makes it "your car."

Let me tell you about my hilariously bwm 944 experiences

e: to contribute slightly, I probably have spent $8k over the last 13 years on a car that's worth maybe $3k (paint went to poo poo, interior got a water leak and is really musty). I stopped dumping money into it years ago, but I've also been too lazy to sell it and it's been out of sight and out of mind for several years in storage at a relative's house

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 29, 2016

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
At six hundred bucks per year, that sounds like pretty GWM way to have a fun car!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

At six hundred bucks per year, that sounds like pretty GWM way to have a fun car!

brugroffil posted:

paint went to poo poo, interior got a water leak and is really musty

Nothing more fun than a car with mold!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

mobby_6kl posted:

Number of miles driven since 2007 when the timing belt blew and required a top end rebuild is about 100. Last time I drove it I learned the rear brake caliper is partially seized up. At least I realized a while ago that it was pointless to keep sinking money into it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Hot tip: If your finances are the post in anyway its a loving lovely post for this thread.

Some mild BWM content to keep this thread moving

Can afford 41k car? posted:

I have a 52-56k a year salary depending on overtime/bonus and with fairly cheap rent for my area($600+ $75 for utils)and I have no debt. Besides that I don't have to pay anything right now except my car insurance. I have a car that I drive now that has a value of about 5-7k trade in and I was going to put $15-20k as a down payment and finance the rest. The car I want is new and priced at 43.6k sticker so I am hoping to get them down to 41k with 2 incentives that I think will apply. I am hoping to finance 48 months or less but I have limited credit history as I do not have a credit card and every house rented, another roommate had the utilities/lease in their name and I am only a year and a half out of college. Will I be strapped for cash?? I know I might have to buckle down in other areas (I have slowed down on going to the bars and whatnot that eats money) but I have never had a good car and would really want something that will last me for many years to come. As of right now my car is a money pit mpg wise and with all of the maintenance it now requires... 200k miles have not treated the ol' tahoe well. Thanks for you help! Feel free to ask any questions that will help clarify my financial situation. EDIT: Thank you all, I really appreciate the advice. But guess I should have said truck rather than car. Its not foreign or luxury(who am I kidding... all trucks are now). A truck will help with work and fit my hobbies more so than a civic or accord.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

brugroffil posted:

Number of miles driven since 2007 when the timing belt blew and required a top end rebuild is about 100. Last time I drove it I learned the rear brake caliper is partially seized up. At least I realized a while ago that it was pointless to keep sinking money into it.

Well, yeah.....it was kinda built into my statement that these aren't cars to drive unless you're doing (and enjoy doing) your own work. Neglecting maintenance to the point where you're allowing timing belts to snap, not cleaning the sunroof drains/repairing whatever else may be leaking and then complaining you have a seized caliper (it's because you aren't driving it) is doing it all wrong for a car like that.

Fortunately that's exactly what most people do with them. So I keep on buying them cheap for parts and/or track cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Motronic posted:

Well, yeah.....it was kinda built into my statement that these aren't cars to drive unless you're doing (and enjoy doing) your own work. Neglecting maintenance to the point where you're allowing timing belts to snap, not cleaning the sunroof drains/repairing whatever else may be leaking and then complaining you have a seized caliper (it's because you aren't driving it) is doing it all wrong for a car like that.

Fortunately that's exactly what most people do with them. So I keep on buying them cheap for parts and/or track cars.

Oh I know it's entirely my fault for the series of things leading to the car being a POS, though I've done all the work including a clutch replacement and a head gasket when I was 17. So in a round about way, that car was GWM for me because all of that really pushed me towards getting an engineering degree which has lead to a pretty decent career. Thanks, garbage car!

I don't know where you're at, but if you're anywhere around Chicago and are interested in a running '83 let me know.

• Locked thread