Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Everyone knows the first thing that comes to mind when you think Michael Jordan is steroid usage and gambling debt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Arguably he's best known as a meme right now and that's really goddamn funny.

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Everyone knows the first thing that comes to mind when you think Michael Jordan is steroid usage and gambling debt

I think of Hanes brand underwear

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I used to be terrified of Nash/Dirk PNRs but I watched an old game recently and I swear they ran that like 10 times max

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Halfling Wizard Bear posted:

I think of Hanes brand underwear

My friend, you have imbibed from the well of propaganda the Dark Masters of Sports want you to drink from. The idea of Michael Jordan is a tightly controlled graven image

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Noctone posted:

Arguably he's best known as a meme right now and that's really goddamn funny.

Crying Jordan's legacy will long outlast actual Jordan (in meme years)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The reffing in this Knicks/Hawks game is so bad that Walt Clyde Frazier is even getting pissed off

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Literally googlin' Doug McDermott I see

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Spoeank posted:

obviously RD Mangles has a McDermott google alert

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Spoeank posted:

i needed to see if he was still injured

also WHERE WERE YOU THE NIGHT BROOK LOPEZ KILLED ROBIN LOPEZ

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Set alerts for:

Doug McDermott
Doug McBuckets
Dougie McBuckets
The Fourth Alpha
Doug McDermit

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

this is my desktop background

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

End the fake news menace

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lopez on lopez violence

https://twitter.com/gifdsports/status/814312816689774594

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

dokmo posted:

I asked four old guys in the office to say the first thing they thought of when I said "Stockton, Malone" and they all said "pick and roll" without hesitation. Those things are intimately associated, like Rodman and rebounding, or Jordan being an rear end in a top hat. There has to be something here, but I don't know what I could be missing. Maybe PNR was used situationally. Maybe they busted it out for the 4th quarter. Or maybe, because in the 90s like every loving play was an isolation, a couple of pick and rolls stood out even more. I'm going to try to track down some more video.

Man that's crazy. I wonder other old NBA chestnuts are phantoms like this

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I didn't realize that this is how the Meyers Leonard and Boogie beef started

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJYU5ioK8vY

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Dejan Bimble posted:

Man that's crazy. I wonder other old NBA chestnuts are phantoms like this

Wilt Chamberlain was actually celibate

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
90s basketball was all iso and loose ball foul free throws. Don't spend too much time chasing this windmill, Dokmo.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

corliss williamson once ate an entire gyro during a pistons offensive possession in the 2003-2004 season

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

dokmo posted:

I asked four old guys in the office to say the first thing they thought of when I said "Stockton, Malone" and they all said "pick and roll" without hesitation. Those things are intimately associated, like Rodman and rebounding, or Jordan being an rear end in a top hat. There has to be something here, but I don't know what I could be missing. Maybe PNR was used situationally. Maybe they busted it out for the 4th quarter. Or maybe, because in the 90s like every loving play was an isolation, a couple of pick and rolls stood out even more. I'm going to try to track down some more video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XLvqH9qoik
Most important part of that clip is the very very beginning * where Bob Costas is on national TV talking about Stockton/Malone PnR . I think a very big part of the reason people remember it is because they mentioned it on TV.

*telling someone to listen to an album being like "make sure to check out track one" is a very funny pointless thing to do

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The first thing I think of when I hear "Stockton/Malone" is an opposing player getting injured from a flying knee.

Maybe dokmo's colleagues think PnR because no one dared PnR against Stockton/Malone because they knew they'd be getting a knee to the groin.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i remember people talking about pick and rolls constantly with utah because it gave an opportunity for stockton to sneakily punch people in the dick

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

there was nothing sneaky about it, he was GRITTY because he is a white guy

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I watched the first quarter of this game from 1993, and Utah used 5 ball screens, which isn't much by today's standards but at least is approaching a reasonable number. However, Stockton only had two of those, something called Jay Humphries used the other three. And the plays began from a strange horns set with the bigs at the elbows, the screener facing the wrong way, and moving the entire time.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
This is going to really eat you up, huh? Which is good news for me if you keep posting tidbits like this.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I wish the Raptors were an actual contender instead of a pretender :smith:

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Lessail posted:

I wish the Raptors were an actual contender instead of a pretender :smith:

Yea but that second half really saved their point differentials :) ;)

But yea, that team was so much better than them. It still hasn't sunk in that the best regular season team in recent memory added Kevin Durant. All around fucks.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

BWV posted:

Yea but that second half really saved their point differentials :) ;)

But yea, that team was so much better than them. It still hasn't sunk in that the best regular season team in recent memory added Kevin Durant. All around fucks.

GSW can just fall rear end backwards into KD while the Raptors gotta gut their entire team to be able to marginally improve oh well

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Beautiful foxes, Dejan.

Also Dokmo, I feel like a lot of the Jazz P&R was actually early in their time together and became sort of a rarity as the team got more weapons.

pubic works project posted:

Haha yeah I know. I was just looking at his stats for the last game. I think he scored like 4 points.

The Jazz were staying home with him and Russell (and all shooters, really) and basically daring Lou Williams and Julius Randle to beat via one on one basketball, which turned out to be a (barely) successful strategy.

If he's healthy I won't say no since it's an easy upgrade over Thomas Robinson. Still, I've been pleasantly surprised with the amount of effort and energy Robinson plays with.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

With the Clippers loss, Rockets are kinda hanging onto that third seed. I had them somewhere in the lower half of playoff teams, it'd be pretty awesome if they manage to get to homecourt.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

chunkles posted:

With the Clippers loss, Rockets are kinda hanging onto that third seed. I had them somewhere in the lower half of playoff teams, it'd be pretty awesome if they manage to get to homecourt.

:suicide:

loving Clippers.

So uh, George Karl is just a gigantic rear end in a top hat, huh?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

oh I just looked at that box score

how does it feel kibner, how does it feel to have Austin Rivers roast you in the fire

(this post would cut deeper if the Clippers had won but I'll take what I can get)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
FREE BERTANS
Spurs world problems

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Rivers was no match for buddy

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Metapod posted:

Rivers was no match for buddy

buddy got up

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

EvanTH posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XLvqH9qoik
Most important part of that clip is the very very beginning * where Bob Costas is on national TV talking about Stockton/Malone PnR . I think a very big part of the reason people remember it is because they mentioned it on TV.

*telling someone to listen to an album being like "make sure to check out track one" is a very funny pointless thing to do

This video is also an excellent showcase of 90s defense.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Shear Modulus posted:

It really bothers me that people don't realize just how much better defense is today.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

No but you see Michael Jordan was an elite defender and would lock down anyone today and also score 40ppg in today's soft rear end- I can't even finish.

The league rescinded RJs tech from the Xmas game.

https://twitter.com/CavsFredMcLeod/status/814247223135498240

AggressivelyStupid fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Dec 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

Also of Stocktons passing ability. loving ridiculous.

• Locked thread