Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Having owned both there is no perceptable difference in latency and Oculus' actual disadvantage is that you pay more for a somewhat smaller tracked space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Lemming posted:

Fwiw I shelved my Vive more or less permanently because the ergonomics on the Rift are so much nicer, despite the tracking stuff. There are other issues/differences but that was most important for me, I just hate putting it on and taking it off so much less that it means I use it a lot more.

Do you think the Vive will be unshelved and the Rift shelved once the wireless thing comes out?

Because honestly I am so drat sick of the wire that I'd much rather have slightly worse ergonomics than deal with the drat wire anymore.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Do you think the Vive will be unshelved and the Rift shelved once the wireless thing comes out?

Because honestly I am so drat sick of the wire that I'd much rather have slightly worse ergonomics than deal with the drat wire anymore.

The wire is annoying but it's much less annoying in the games more focused on facing one direction. Even something like Space Pirate Trainer where you turn around sometimes, you spend the vast majority of the time looking forward so you don't get too tangled up.

Either way, I don't think so, the strap is really quite bad on the Vive and not having integrated headphones really sucks. I want to take the headset off relatively frequently depending on the game to go to the bathroom, get a snack, wipe my face off, etc, and if it's a bastard to put on or take off, I'm just not going to deal with it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If someone nails the wireless problem (my bet is on this thing http://dvdo.com/product/dvdo-air3c/ on top with some sort of transmitter placed up high or bounced off the ceiling) it will quickly be adopted by both oculus and valve. As will the PSVR's superior headband setup. I would expect both to be in Gen2 VR setups.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm sure Rift will get its wireless version soon enough.
And as Oculus has shown, you can have an incomplete product and still be the tour de force compared to your competitor.

The largest issue I have now, is the complexity of the market: you have console-controller vr games, forward facing motion-controller games, 360 motion-controller games, and roomscale games, all requiring different levels of hardware from Oculus.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Nothing so far about the announced wireless adapters are proprietary to an HMD other than maybe power / attachments. TPCast also isn't the only player, there's others announcing at CES, also TPCast has said that an Oculus version would probably come shortly after their vive version.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Anybody have a good DIY solution for mounting oculus sensors on ceilings?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

They just screw into regular camera mounts so poo poo like this is probably fine if you don't mind screwing holes into you ceiling.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Swivel Wall Ball Head Mount Bracket for CCTV Security Camera

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm still waiting on these $2.80 apiece CCTV wall mounts to show up from China: https://smile.amazon.com/uxcell-Flexible-Bracket-Camera-Camcorder/dp/B009PN5NXW

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I designed & 3d printed mounts and used a 1/4" bolt w/ the printed plastic pieces to make it work. Felt incredible to go from idea > mounted cameras in an hour with parts onhand.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

iceaim posted:

I was leaning towards the Oculus initially too 8 months ago, but imo buying an Oculus is a huge mistake. The tracking is simply not as reliable and you will run into occlusion more often than any of the issues you mentioned regarding the Vive. I had my concerns about the Vive too, but after reading knifergrab's informative and humorous posts, I decided buying a Vive was the right decision. I ended up buying my vive 3 weeks ago, but I was lurking in the VR/stereoscopic threads for a couple of years.

Honestly the lighthouses personally gave me zero trouble. It took me about 15 minutes to mount using contractor polls and camera clamps. I was worried my living room's large window would cause problems or that my old 52 inch Sharp LCD tv from 2006 that I use as my main PC monitor would cause problems, but I've had zero issues. In fact the new firmware that lighthouses use, greatly eliminate and reduce tracking issues due to reflective surfaces.

After mounting the lighthouses I was basically up and running. I had zero issues tracing my room, and I've been enjoying perfect tracking since day 1. I've had absolutely zero issues with occlusion, and absolutely no Rift owner can make the same claim if they are truly honest with themselves and not deluding themselves into thinking they bought the superior product. Also I've had zero issues with being able to read text clearly. I find the Vive quite sharp, though I do have the lenses pushed all the way back in order for there to be plenty of space for my glasses.

If you buy the Rift, you're buying a product with second rate tracking that can't scale up the way the lighthouse tracking can. At least consider picking up a Vive from like Best Buy so that you can return it within a month if it doesn't satisfy you.

how much time have you spent in an oculus, and have you tried their touch controllers?

I already did the try-n-buy with the Vive/Best Buy when PSVR came out (I tried all 3 systems out, motion sickness had me thinking I might not be ready for VR, got used to it, and it was actually PSVR's convenience that got me back into giving this gen 1 crap another shot. worth it and have no regrets)

iceaim
May 20, 2001

mellowjournalism posted:

how much time have you spent in an oculus, and have you tried their touch controllers?

I already did the try-n-buy with the Vive/Best Buy when PSVR came out (I tried all 3 systems out, motion sickness had me thinking I might not be ready for VR, got used to it, and it was actually PSVR's convenience that got me back into giving this gen 1 crap another shot. worth it and have no regrets)

I spent about two hours in an oculus including touch controllers, and it kept losing tracking. I was not impressed, though I do have to admit that when the controllers did work they were nice. It's still two steps behind the Vive though, and Oculus room scale is the "let's hope this works" kind of room scale.

The worst part of the Oculus tracking system is that an accused paedophile's image processing code powers the whole thing.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 27, 2016

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Something was wrong with the setup then.

Edit: All systems have their tracking problems if they aren't setup properly or there is junk in the room they can't handle. Obviously the Vive tracking works but if you go back and read the thread you will find plenty of people had tracking problems with their Vive until they figured out whatever it was that was messing things up. Same deal for the Rift. I setup my Rift in front of my TV with the two sensors on my tower speakers something like 8' apart canted in a bit and it gives almost 360 tracking because as long as one sensor can see your hand it still works. Then I tried them it opposing corners on my light stands and that worked too, no problems. It really seems like you are trying to justify the Vive over the Rift to yourself and it's just not that stark of a difference. They both have pros and cons and you really can't go wrong with either.

TomR fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 27, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When properly set up, both systems have perfect tracking aside from any occlusion that could happen with either of them. "Don't get this one because the tracking sucks" is a bad argument. While double sided tape was frowned upon for the vive, it should just fine for the rift. If you don't want to drill into your wall, you could get a mount that you can double sided tape to the wall using those 3M removable strip things. It didn't work for the Vive because the vibration of the lighthouse slowly undoes the adhesive.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Taking purchase advise from a poster with paranoid delusions about a computer game product is prob. not the best idea.

Eatpants
Jan 26, 2012
My friend just borrowed our old PA Speaker stands we weren't using. Those little plastic balljoint adapters are crappy though, be very careful everytime you move their position.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
The threads the Oculus cameras use are the 1/4" standard that has been used in photography, speakers stands etc. for years so there should be a ton of things that work. It's literally a 1/4" bolt thread like you would find at the hardware store.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Basic Chunnel posted:

Not DIY but I can vouch for these holding my rift sensor on the ceiling solid.
http://www.buymobius.com/products/vhb-adhesive-camera-mount?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=474141537

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I was blessed with a Vive. I read the OP, but is there anything special I should know? Or just shoot me a PM so we can talk about it on steam so I can get a better idea. Thanks.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
What in gently caress? I broke out my oculus for the first time in a while--PSVR has just been much more comfortable--and I may have figured out why oculus gave me so much poo poo at first. The horizon is tilted. I do a quick google and... IMUs are that heat sensitive?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I was blessed with a Vive. I read the OP, but is there anything special I should know? Or just shoot me a PM so we can talk about it on steam so I can get a better idea. Thanks.

play rec room

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Smashbox Arena has some pretty amazing multiplayer. At least give the free demo a try to see if you like dodgeball with guns and clever powerups.

Also regarding my criticism earlier regarding Oculus tracking; to be fair Oculus did a great job with the optics, and the sound design of their inhouse developed content seems to be better than many steamvr games, though that is more on the software side. I do buy things on the Oculus store too.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 28, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Invite friends over to take turns playing Gorn.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
GORN and this are both p cool

http://store.steampowered.com/app/568690/

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Sitting at work, wanting to be at home and an email came in:

quote:

Immerse yourself in the new era of IT infrastructure through 360° virtual reality, using only your phone.

The Nutanix 360 Experience takes you inside the next-generation datacenter where you will learn how Nutanix provides the agility and economics you want from the public cloud, without sacrificing the security and control you need from on-prem infrastructure.

Don’t have a Google Cardboard headset? Not a problem, request one now!
N-no, not like this :chloe:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Get Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter and play it with free movement.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Has anyone tried the DCS World 2.0 stuff in VR? Flaming Cliffs is on sale for $15.99 and the Nevada Test Range is down to $34.99. I'd love to do some flight sim action.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/terrains/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's really cool. I enjoyed flying the mustang around some mountains in VR. There wasn't anything else for me to do in it though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Cojawfee posted:

It's really cool. I enjoyed flying the mustang around some mountains in VR. There wasn't anything else for me to do in it though.

Try the SU-25T's campaign and tutorial missions. The storm landing one is terrifying in VR.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Did anyone try lunar flight? Is it worth 7 bucks? It's on steam sale.

Just tried Gorn and Bullet Train, I give both a thumbs up.
E: smash party is fun as well

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 28, 2016

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone have any hot takes on home improvisation?

It's the daily deal on Oculus and looks like it could be fun/dumb/relaxing for $6

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

w00tazn posted:

Anyone have any hot takes on home improvisation?

Buy it on Steam and refund it if you don't like it. I think it's quite good.

Bhodi posted:

Did anyone try lunar flight? Is it worth 7 bucks? It's on steam sale.

Lunar Flight was great fun when it wasn't VR, was great fun in the DK1 and is amazing in the Vive and presumably Rift.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Here's all the free VR poo poo that has come out in the last two weeks so y'all don't have to search:

Nick: http://store.steampowered.com/app/572660/ (Santa-themed first-person horde survival, board up windows and shoot robot elves)

The Price of Freedom: http://store.steampowered.com/app/561080/ (first person spy thriller story)

Fireworks Desert Blast: http://store.steampowered.com/app/560970/ (literally a roman-candle firing simulator, without getting your fingers blown off)

President Erect :nws:: http://store.steampowered.com/app/565030/ (punch a Jack-in-the-Box with Trump's head, or slap it with themed dildos)

Warhammer Vermintide VR: http://store.steampowered.com/app/410390/ (I'm not a big enough nerd to care about Warhammer but it seems like a co-op wave shooter)

Smash Party: http://store.steampowered.com/app/568690/?snr=1_7_7_230_150_4 (break poo poo, also the moon is smoking a blunt lol)

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

When properly set up, both systems have perfect tracking aside from any occlusion that could happen with either of them. "Don't get this one because the tracking sucks" is a bad argument. While double sided tape was frowned upon for the vive, it should just fine for the rift. If you don't want to drill into your wall, you could get a mount that you can double sided tape to the wall using those 3M removable strip things. It didn't work for the Vive because the vibration of the lighthouse slowly undoes the adhesive.

The Oculus cameras don't track as close, don't track as far, have a more limited horizontal fov and substantially more limited vertical fov. They are verifiably worse.

That's not to say that they don't work or that they aren't fine for a good many setups, but out of the box the Vive can track more space more reliably and that's valuable to many people.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Vermintide is basically awful.

I got job simulator though, and it owns.

Honestly I have been spending most of my time in VR on my futon in Bigscreen Beta playing hearthstone and Shantae.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Oculus acquired an eye tracking company.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
So, I dunno if this is a typo or what, but Amazon has Raw Data steam codes on sale for 0.50c. It works just bought it and it's installing in Steam now.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7MDDW1

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004

Poetic Justice posted:

So, I dunno if this is a typo or what, but Amazon has Raw Data steam codes on sale for 0.50c. It works just bought it and it's installing in Steam now.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7MDDW1

deals already dead :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Ah gently caress just missed it.