Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

So it's Tetris and Mean Bean Machine mixed together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

BisterdDave posted:

Even on the same puzzle board sometimes!

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

I'm in. Looks fun as hell.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

King of Solomon posted:

Even on the same puzzle board sometimes!

Yeah I need this like, yesterday.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

You have no idea what you're talking about, ult gain adjustment would do gently caress all to Mercy, she simply cannot compete with how good Ana and Lucio are.

Yeah, actually, I do. Part of the reason that Mercy is weak right now is because at its best her ult was insanely dominating because of how powerful it was and how quickly it charged. They made changes to her ult gain and didn't give her enough meaningful buffs in other areas to compensate. Part of the reason she's hard to buff is because even a minor change to her ult or her damage beam ends up having an incredibly large effect.

Ana is dominant right now because Ana was kneejerk-overbuffed during her launch period when people were responding badly to her and the buff ended up making her healing numbers absurdly high. If they nerfed her ammo count or firing rate (two things they buffed) then it would matter a lot more.

Lucio is a different story because the sheer utility he provides is so powerful he's never not going to be a must-pick unless they nerf him into uselessness or buff two of the other healing characters so much that somehow their utility eclipses Lucio's. He probably is an overdesigned character but so it goes.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 29, 2016

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ShutteredIn posted:

Yeah I need this like, yesterday.
You can buy it on Amazon for like $30

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

veni veni veni posted:

This War of Mine is really good I don't know why so many people are snubbing it.

because its not AAA. thats why. thats it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

homeless snail posted:

You can buy it on Amazon for like $30

yeah i owned an import copy for a while sold it on when i got bored. its very good. not the tetris experience i wanted but great on its own merits as a fusion of two games.

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
Can I still play Overwatch for fun without worrying about meta and balance?

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Trillest Parrot posted:

nah we don't play games for fun only ones with the best meta and biggest tournament purses

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Imo it's fine to be into super-balanced competitive games with THRILLING METAS or whatever but those also tend to be the games I don't like.

But if I were into metas I think it'd be kind of fun for there to be ideal teams that shift around over time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trillest Parrot posted:

Yeah, absolutely. For like 90% of the playerbase the difference in characters isn't going to be significant enough to really impact things and indeed at different skill levels different characters tend to have strengths. (i.e: Bastion is unplayed at competitive level but still regularly gets PotGs at lower levels because Bastion is easily countered by strong teamwork which lower levels don't have.)

Short of being good enough at the game that you're playing with focused teamcomps working together to the best of their ability you can play whoever you want and do fine.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am only level 25, but I don't think I've ever played a quick play match of Overwatch where anyone cared about balance or the meta. If I didn't play Ana 9 games out of 10 would not have a healer. Junkrat-Hanzo-Widowmaker-Bastion-Reaper comps are very, very common

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I waited until this sale to finally pick up Inside but what a tremendous game. That final sequence is something else.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

rabidsquid posted:

hey who wins you the game by being on your team in overwatch, i want them free winz boi

At launch Lucio was absolutely a free win pick. Don't know about now since I haven't played since launch. 7 hours played as Lucio specifically, 61% win rate.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Oh my loving god, its dr robitniks mean bean machine versus tetris. I'm going to buy a ps4pro and use it to play the hottest puzzle games bill clinton's first term

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

For Honor has a $220 US edition. Yowza.

http://m.gamestop.com/product/ps4/games/for-honor-apollyon-collectors-edition-only-at-gamestop/140147

Doing this for new IPs seems a bit hosed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Not really. Ubisoft seem to think For Honor is going to be their CoD or Overwatch by the way they've been trotting it about. It might do okay if they actually fix what's been wrong in the demo versions shown off thus far, but I really doubt it.

You see Collectors Editions for all kinds of games pop up every now and then, not just the big moneymaker franchises. Ni No Kuni got one, Odin Sphere got an amazing one (granted, it is a remake), even Song of the Deep made a 5000-unit set consisting of a free 500-piece puzzle, a metal pin, and some art cards.

I still need to take a crack at that puzzle myself, actually :v:.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You're forgetting the best one, the Dead Island severed zombie lady torso.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

You're forgetting the best one, the Dead Island severed zombie lady torso.

Of course, who could forget that fine collector's piece :allears:. I'd mention The Last Guardian's as well, but let's be honest; everyone's been eyeing that game since it was first announced and they were gonna sell regardless.

Incidentally the Trico statue is gorgeous as hell.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Friendly reminder to not buy Ubisoft games at launch.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Tensokuu posted:

Friendly reminder to not buy Ubisoft games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'll buy anything I like.

Not For Honour though it looks eh

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I preordered The Division with Season Pass and that turned out to be a really good idea (eventually) so gonna preorder more Ubisoft games imo

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I wish i could be so thrilled by mediocrity that playing The Division, much less pre ordering it seemed like even an acceptable use of my time and money

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Overwatch is amazing. I don't understand the love for 1 hit kill twitch shooters like Call of Duty, Battlefield, and TitanFall, all three of those games are exactly the same as each other.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Unlike Overwatch where you get stunned so often it might as well be one hit kill. :v:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The division really wasn't a bad game. The loot grind aspect was bad.

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

I said come in! posted:

Overwatch is amazing. I don't understand the love for 1 hit kill twitch shooters like Call of Duty, Battlefield, and TitanFall, all three of those games are exactly the same as each other.

I feel the same way even though I think you are being a bit dismissive. Titanfall has fantastic movement mechanics (and huge robots), Battlefield has large scale battles and the historical setting and CoD has the space thing going for it as well as massive brand recognition.

Overwatch is miles more fun though and oozes style and personality in a way those other 3 just can't match.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

The division really wasn't a bad game. The loot grind aspect was bad.
They really hosed up on letting people of disparate levels play together, though. If you were many levels apart there was no way to not make it ridiculously trivial for one player and/or literally impossible to survive for the other.

If they hadn't made that boneheaded decision I would've got into the game way more than I did, but my brother played it for a week first and that hosed us.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What I really like about the current version of the Division is that the loot grind is more reasonable now and the gameworld scales to your gear level. In addition to this is that you do not need to do group content or buy the DLC in order to get the highest gear score, just simply playing the game on your own, running missions, or killing enemies around the city will get you upgrades at a reasonable pace.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I personally would have just rather had it not be a loot game because the genre is trash. It would have been an allright co op shooter.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

loot games are good

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't get them. They feel like the definition of insanity.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

pick up the loot. if it's better than what you have, use it. if not, sell it

that's it

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
The appeal of a loot game is the bigger number and cooler looking gear, the end. If you're not about that compulsion loop that's cool they're not for everyone.

The Division at launch went from a really good shooter with great skill synergy in co-op while levelling up to a mess of idiotic design decisions at max level. It also has a unique post-disaster response setting where the FEMA analogue came in, had to leave, and now it's just chaos. It's legit good now and the latest dlc is a really good single life hard mode where you have to survive resource scarcity, the cold, and enemies.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They are so absolutely mindless though.

Let's do the same thing over and over to get an item that is the same thing I already have except the numbers are bigger so now I can repeat the same content ive already done at a "harder" difficulty".

It's such lazy game design.

Edit: not that it isn't fine if you enjoy it. I just feel like I'm losing my minds playing them.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 29, 2016

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Loot games are fun when they are accessible. It sucks when you play late and the grind for better gear is long and tedious.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, uh, the loot grind in the Division is basically dead as things stand. While you won't get a poopsock optimal build going, a couple of hours can see you fully kitted out - at that point you're just playing the game like you would any other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah but, why not just make well designed encounters instead of relying on tacking bigger numbers to everything?

• Locked thread