Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Noted gayRPG Bastard Bonds is in a $6 bundle on Groupees, the lowest it's ever been. :heysexy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jay Rust posted:

I unironically like Blizzard's giant weapons and shoulder pads. I think they look cool.

They don't even look particularly sharp. :/

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Lurdiak posted:

I'm playing the new world of warcraft expansion and I'm sad that you can't get demon hunter weapons that don't look like gigantic cosplay props. There's all these demon hunter npcs in Burning Crusade that have sensible sized weapons but all you get to use is

Like c'mon now.

I guess I've played too much Monster Hunter, because this doesn't look particularly notable to me.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ys is good
souls is good

lots of games are usually good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lurdiak posted:

I'm playing the new world of warcraft expansion and I'm sad that you can't get demon hunter weapons that don't look like gigantic cosplay props. There's all these demon hunter npcs in Burning Crusade that have sensible sized weapons but all you get to use is

Like c'mon now.

I think once you're dual wielding double bladed weapons the concept of sensible has gone out the window.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

lots of games are usually good.

I saw that :cheeky:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they'd complain

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i beat river city tokyo rumble and i strongly recommend it to anyone that likes river city, beat em ups made by arcsys, action rpgs, repetitive stress disorder, or mindless grinding with very satisfying gameplay.

short game. 5-8 hours depending on how many jobs you do but a couple of good mp modes if you have 3ds friends.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I guess I've played too much Monster Hunter, because this doesn't look particularly notable to me.

This used to be the baseline.

I wouldn't really mind if those giant gaudy things were like the ULTIMATE WEAPON but they're what you start with.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

IMO Link and Zelda should be the only characters allowed to have long ears

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Real hurthling! posted:

i beat river city tokyo rumble and i strongly recommend it to anyone that likes river city, beat em ups made by arcsys, action rpgs, repetitive stress disorder, or mindless grinding with very satisfying gameplay.

short game. 5-8 hours depending on how many jobs you do but a couple of good mp modes if you have 3ds friends.

dude this sounds good as hell.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Are either of the PS+ games for next month good (day of the tentacle remaster/this war of mine)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Titan Souls looks cool

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

Are either of the PS+ games for next month good (day of the tentacle remaster/this war of mine)

Yes to both

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Legend of Dark Witch 2 is on Steam next week

http://store.steampowered.com/app/555580/

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Lurdiak posted:

Like c'mon now.

I think those look awesome (and I agree with the giant shoulder thing another poster mentioned, giant shoulders rule), but if you want to make terrible fashion choices you can transmog them to look like a billion other different things. I'm fairly sure glaives can be transmogged into swords. On top of that, you get your artifact weapon pretty quickly after finishing the DH starting zone and there are optional looks you can get for them (that takes a bit longer than simply farming some old dungeons for a weapon look you want though).

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

Good.

I should get and play the first game when it's cheaper, I played the demo for the 3DS version and it was pretty fun.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Like every other side mission in Yakuza games, there are approximately 2 times more driving sub-missions than are needed in Yakuza 5. Soooooo booooooring.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Help Im Alive posted:

ps4 gets 4 games worth paying for this month

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

I wasn't too impressed by the first one. Hopefully the second is better.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

chumbler posted:

I wasn't too impressed by the first one. Hopefully the second is better.
Both LotDW games are the perfect encapsulation of "mediocre megaman-alike with gradius-style power up system" but hey they don't have much competition so...

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

ps4 gets 4 games worth paying for this month

Which ones? Having a hard time keeping up with releases these days.

Gravity Rush 2 seemed pretty cool from the demo (if very hard to do anything with precision), I guess there's the new Tales Of game that's supposed to be real solid as well?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

(haha please don't hate me, hear me out)

I didn't mean to start a whole thing with Bloodborne, but I think my thing with it is that it depends upon you having a lot of major mainstream console video games to appreciate the beginning of it. That's not a bad thing, and even the frustrating portions of it have made me want to play the gently caress out of it eventually, but like, even in terms of a guy who has played some basic Nintendo and PC games as he afford them over the years, Witcher 3 seems infinitely more approachable, Bethesda[i] games seem more approachable, and some or the more overtly experimental games appeal to me in the art-fart way more than this game does. There's a ton about it that seems to assume "You have played video games - this one won't talk down to you. Learn both the story and the gameplay through context clues, and suffer enormous losses when you get cocky," which, don't get me wrong, is really good, buuuuut, it's a very specific kind of good, which maybe needs to be communicated the next time twenty people say it's the greatest game ever made.

I feel like the forums have convinced me that Bloodborne is The Wire of video games, and it feels more like some kind of sleeper Sundance gilm hit, a work that's a critical success and an enormous enjoyment for people who are enveloped in the medium for the way that it toys with audience's knowledge interacts with the complexity of that knowledge, and extends challenges based upon (not even super complex ones, I get that!) based around the "Here is a hitbox, here are your hits, in three dimensions, here is the range of your dodging" mechanics present in each game but only explored in a rudimentary way.

It's still a huge turn-off for casual players and , with early looks at it( which is all most people can spare for a 40-hour plus game) has some niche director room for argument as to "Is this good, or is it simply having a real, good, masturbatory exercise in front of people who are familiar with its mechanis?" It does not have the immediate appeal, humor and literary qualities of The Wire, but only has the intense genre awareness and Jungian weirdness of a cult classic. I am a cult classic kind of guy, and when I have the time to butt my head against the walls that Bloodborne deserves, I am going to really like it, I think, and maybe even love it, but the blanket statements of "You will find other games forever lacking after you've played this" feel, at the [i]absolute best
, overstated.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bicyclops posted:

when I have the time to butt my head against the walls that Bloodborne deserves, I am going to really like it, I think, and maybe even love it, but the blanket statements of "You will find other games forever lacking after you've played this" feel, at the absolute best, overstated.

Major question: Has anybody actually said this to you or do you just feel that way from people saying it's more than good?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 29, 2016

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Anyway, I named my character in Bloodborne haracter Verity Kindle after the Connie Willis character, given the completely unexplained Victorian setting, and I am determined to lead her to victory, eventually, and I'm sure my opinions on the game will adjust then. I just thought maybe someone who had only played some Wii U games and a few AAA games at his brother's house in this age of consoles might temper some of the excitement for what seems to be a promising game, but may have some flaws that assume you are a "gamer" and are familiar with things like Dark Souls, or the button in the middle of the PS4 controller, or ever a tutorial that is hidden in floor skeletons that you can easily miss early in the game if you think "The HUner's Dream" is a dungeons with directions, and accidentally activate the portion of that dungeons that teleports you away from the tutorial.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Major question: Has anybody actually said this to you or do you just feel that way from people saying it's more than good?

Somebody said that to me, almost in those exact words, in this thread. And it's not the first time, nor is it rare.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Witcher 3 is basically the complete opposite of Bloodborne in terms of everything but quality. They are both paragons of their respective sub genres. BB's subgenre is also a lot narrower than W3's.

Edit: It's definitely a game for people who will try to figure poo poo out.

Every time someone shares an anecdote about how they played halfway through central Yharnam before figuring out how to equip weapons, I'm just baffled. I did not know how to equip weapons at first either. But I knew it must be possible. So I looked at the menus and figured it out. It was very straightforward. I thinks it's funny that there are apparently people who will be frustraited that they cant equip weapons, but will keep trying to learn how to play the game without them, rather than try to figure out to equip them.

I'm just talking in general.

Snak fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 29, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think you're right, Bloodborne is a pretty hard to approach game if you aren't experienced with either a) fast action games or b) previous Souls games, and even if you are it can still be pretty tough. But it doesn't require a huge investment to get the hang of it, what it requires is concentration and awareness, much more so than many other games. Throwing yourself at it until you're better is one way to do it and that will take time, so don't do it that way. A huge part of it is assessing what you're doing wrong and just not doing that anymore. It's a brutally hard game even when you do that, but if you can figure out why it's not clicking with you, it will click almost immediately when you resolve that.

Here is some advice that will sound like bullshit to you but is 100% true: It's not the game's fault.

Bicyclops posted:

Anyway, I named my character in Bloodborne haracter Verity Kindle after the Connie Willis character, given the completely unexplained Victorian setting, and I am determined to lead her to victory, eventually, and I'm sure my opinions on the game will adjust then. I just thought maybe someone who had only played some Wii U games and a few AAA games at his brother's house in this age of consoles might temper some of the excitement for what seems to be a promising game, but may have some flaws that assume you are a "gamer" and are familiar with things like Dark Souls, or the button in the middle of the PS4 controller, or ever a tutorial that is hidden in floor skeletons that you can easily miss early in the game if you think "The HUner's Dream" is a dungeons with directions, and accidentally activate the portion of that dungeons that teleports you away from the tutorial.

The game gives you all of the knowledge you need to succeed in it. The reason it's willing to let you walk right over the tutorial prompts without looking at them is because it trusts you'll look around for a tutorial on how to play the game you just started. It's really not as obtuse as you're acting like it is.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Snak posted:

Witcher 3 is basically the complete opposite of Bloodborne in terms of everything but quality. They are both paragons of their respective sub genres. BB's subgenre is also a lot narrower than W3's.

It's also the complete opposite in terms of quality

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In Training posted:

It's also the complete opposite in terms of quality

Not a fan of this new gimmick

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bicyclops posted:

Somebody said that to me, almost in those exact words, in this thread. And it's not the first time, nor is it rare.

Regarding this, I'm looking through and I found this post

Dewgy posted:

You should be more scared to start it because no other video game can ever live up to how amazing it is.

:bloodborne:

and I am pretty sure he was being humorously hyperbolic and didn't 100% mean it, but he'd have to confirm that himself I guess

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Maybe just chill and play the video game, friend

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

More than the Witcher comparison, I am skeptical that someone said Bloodborne is The Wire of video games, and even more skeptical that the point of comparison one would first make would be about the writing. Games are games, the core is the gameplay. The logic that Bloodborne should be as funny(?) and as biting a social critique of American institutions(?) does not follow

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also a reminder that the Bloodborne thread here on the forums is very active and very friendly to new players. We love new players! We all want to vicariously experience a first playthrough again, and will help you as little or as much as you want. With the recent sales and holiday ps4 purchases, there are several people just starting out.

You're honestly going to run into a lot more 'git gud" type stuff in this chat thread than in the bloodborne thread.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Both Witcher 3 and Bloodborne are some of my favorite games of all time but for very different reasons.

I also consider Bloodborne to have great writing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CJacobs posted:

The game gives you all of the knowledge you need to succeed in it. The reason it's willing to let you walk right over the tutorial prompts without looking at them is because it trusts you'll look around for a tutorial on how to play the game you just started. It's really not as obtuse as you're acting like it is.

I missed all of that knowledge because there is no information which tells you that the Hunter's Dream is a hub and a "I'm going this direction in a dungeon and assuming I'll be fine because this is the kind of game that doesn't talk down to me made me miss the tutorial skeletons. That seems like a small thing you consider that, mostly, you don't re-explore areas until you're looking to look for additional material. The thing that upsets me is that I am an insufferable completist about video games, and I'm aware of it, but I knew that this game different and didn't do my annoying create-a-spreadsheet research, and that taking a right instead of a left and selecting "Okay" when the game gave me a choice skipped my ability to even understand that I had to equip weapons without mashing a bunch of random buttons to discover that was how I did it.

"There's nothing to stop you from pressing buttons" or whatever In Training said, combined with the Stux "Sorry you missed the tutorial, idiot," feels like what the game said to me, and I feel like it detracts slightly from the game experience. WHen all it has going for it is atmosphere, it feels like an only slightly better American McGee's Alice in terms of overall feel, with extremely, intensely good combat mechanics that you only learn by mashing buttons until you figure out the control scheme. I know tutorials feel artificial, but the defenses I've seen for this game are either A) "Why don't you just try controller combos until you figure it out?" which... I'm not even going to mince words, is stupid, B) "Sorry you missed the tutorial, bozo!" when it's... uh, missable or C) "Here is a helpful list of the button mapping and some tips about things that aren't immediately understandable, like guns should be used up close," which, great but, I think, the game should have given me, even if it meant sacrificing their survival horror ambiance (which suffers in the first place from being -and I love vague and metaphorical poo poo - too vague at the outset.)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mean, I will agree with the fact that Bloodborne is at least slightly more arcane than most focus-tested AAA games. It does not have a maximally user-friendly tutorial designed to onboard you as cleanly as possible. Yes, there are those notes, but they are missable, and even the expectation that one would search for tutorial information within the game is an expectation borne out of familiarity with game conventions. If someone has only played games where you are forced to complete tutorial actions to confirm to the game that you know them, a game where that's not present can be confusing. (This is not to say that it needs to have it, as part of the allure of the game is in this kind of ambiguity and lack of handholding)

This ties back in to an earlier conversation where someone asked about how previously-accrued knowledge about game mechanics transferred over into other skills. It more often than not transfers into other games. And those friends who are not "gamers" that bounce off many games for reasons that someone posting in this thread would find utterly simplistic would probably bounce off Bloodborne

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
:rolleyes:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm kinda the opposite when it comes to tutorials. Like I've had hitman installed for months and thought I wasn't gonna like it because the forced tutorial section presented a game that I didn't really want to play. It was only returning months later and playing the first actual level when I realized the tutorial they provided wasn't even remotely indicative of the actual game I wound up loving, which happens a lot in modern games. Id rather someone just let me fail and play with the mechanics on my own, it makes experiences more personal and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I totally get "your non-understanding of the controls is incorporated into you being way the gently caress over your head," and I love the first scene where you have to (I think) get murdered by the dog creature to be sent to what I now understand is the hub. Awesome! Plays on player expectations, makes you lose the points the game gave you at the beginning, makes you realize that the monsters in the game don't just chip away at your health: they murder you. But something to let ou know that you were in a player hub, or even to explain that the floor skeletons were tutorials would have vastly improved the first hour and a half of my gameplay. I discovered dodge and holding R2 (L2? the ax), and just wandered around the world, unsure of where, or who, or where, I was, mashing the three buttons I knew how to operate, with no idea as to when I could save and and go to sleep having completed my built, or when I was going to learn what the gently caress what was happening.

• Locked thread