Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
do we have a discord I want in please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

We found 0 results for "if you don't like mage knight"

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Yatzee is less bad than it seems; there's actually a modicum of strategy involved, a few actual interesting decisions.

I mean if I want to play something like Yatzee, I'll probably just play Elder Sign instead, which tangles a few more decisions into the same framework. CV is pretty alright too if you wanna chuck some dice and match faces.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Kashuno posted:

do we have a discord I want in please

https://discord.gg/xmMwUe3

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Purchased Sushi Go! Party to bring too my girlfriend's parents' place... Only to have either the delivery get botched, or my mail get stolen. Ffffffuck.

Contact Amazon, get a replacement sent, delivered two hours after my flight left. Double ffffffuck.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
Played some more games i hadnt played before:
new Through the ages (great civ feel)
Concordia (so loving elegant)
Glory to rome (we played this with 5 and it doesn't work at that count)

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

They should make one of these FFG app driven dungeon crawl games into a rogue-like.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Since I trust goons more than I trust the general internet: what's the minimum number of people to play captain sonar and have a good time?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I found that 6 is the minimum so that no one is overwhelmed while still allowing the game to proceed at a nice pace.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

TheCog posted:

Since I trust goons more than I trust the general internet: what's the minimum number of people to play captain sonar and have a good time?
I'm curious too. I have it coming from CSI and I hope it gets here before my New Years Party (supposedly coming 12/31 :ohdear:)

I also wish I could have got Junk Art in time too, except CSI/MM/et al is Out of Stock, and there's one place that has it but I'm not paying $70 for it

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

TheCog posted:

Two, because turn based is actually a solid game, gently caress the haters. :colbert:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I've played with 4 and it functions very well.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There is no shirt for Twilight Struggle or Keyflower because I murdered them all.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

TheCog posted:

No comment on turn-based, but I feel you need 6 for real time. To me, the need to communicate effectively is an obstacle that heavily contributes to what makes the game so fun, and at 2 players per team too much of that is taken away, and it's also too easy for captain and radio operator to communicate silently (unless you actively sit really far away from each other)

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
So I just caught up on like 8 pages of backlogged posts and Broken Loose please do the needful and make Bear Valley But Good if you have the spare time thanks and namaste

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Holiday Update #2: Played a bunch more Sushi Go and Patchwork with the folks, managed to avoid Mexican Train all together. Praise be to Modern Board Games.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TheCog posted:

I found the solo rules very exhausting, don't recommend

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

CommonShore posted:

117 Blind!

Strategy was catapulter, first turn longship, raid to get the rock bonus on the home board, and then catapult the poo poo out of everything!

Might do a non-blind one next.

lmao finally got around to doing this.

First time ever solo. 117, blind. :v:

Catapulter, didn't bother with any other occupations. Explored shetland with an early whaling boat to get income, iceland on turn 2 or so, waited for newfoundland, and didn't have quite enough crap to fill in the negatives. Fun, though!! Sorry for the glare.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Purchased Sushi Go! Party to bring too my girlfriend's parents' place... Only to have either the delivery get botched, or my mail get stolen. Ffffffuck.

Contact Amazon, get a replacement sent, delivered two hours after my flight left. Double ffffffuck.

Sure they have a game store somewhere near you, just return the amazon copy when you get back.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I find the "lightning strike" behavior in Kemet of beaming in, fighting, and recalling to actually really exacerbate turtling. People quickly develop an aversion to being the poor sap who gets hit with the lightning strike.

Anyway that game rules but I also got in on Food Chain Magnate and oh wow that has impressed after two plays. It's like Dominant Species but it flows easier without losing that knife-fight competitiveness. I need strats. Give me pro strats. First thought is Waitresses seem to be sort of a "first order optimal" thing like Big Money in Dominion. Another player placed remarkably well doing not much but activating working girls turn after turn, but didn't place ahead of my price-slicing food chain in the end. Sort of like how the first guy to sprinkle in some Actions to Big Money beats pure Big Money...right?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Texibus posted:

Sure they have a game store somewhere near you, just return the amazon copy when you get back.

They even had it at my local Target. Glad it's available, played. A bunch of it over the holiday even with people who don't play a lot of games and everyone had a blast.

Have managed to get a few games of Lords of Waterdeep with my six year old. He enjoys it, and I am hopeful we can move towards things like AFfO.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Today I got Lanterns for a belated Xmas present and it seems pretty decent for a light game.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

SuperKlaus posted:

I find the "lightning strike" behavior in Kemet of beaming in, fighting, and recalling to actually really exacerbate turtling. People quickly develop an aversion to being the poor sap who gets hit with the lightning strike.

Anyway that game rules but I also got in on Food Chain Magnate and oh wow that has impressed after two plays. It's like Dominant Species but it flows easier without losing that knife-fight competitiveness. I need strats. Give me pro strats. First thought is Waitresses seem to be sort of a "first order optimal" thing like Big Money in Dominion. Another player placed remarkably well doing not much but activating working girls turn after turn, but didn't place ahead of my price-slicing food chain in the end. Sort of like how the first guy to sprinkle in some Actions to Big Money beats pure Big Money...right?

Getting 'first to train staff' is often a very early goal. Being able to have three salaried staff without any income is a big deal.

Also double drinks from providers, first to market bonus prices, eternal marketer and first to throw away food are other critical early milestones.

You won't get all of them, but try to get as many of them as possible.

Don't be too quick to produce food - if you don't have demand for the food you produced, you may be firing your free chefs.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

SuperKlaus posted:

There are two "textbook" openings:

A) The Horizontal Opening: Turn 1 Recruiting Girl, rush First to Hire 3.
  • Amass a huge wad of entry-level dorks.
  • The faster opening. Usually pair with $100-200 reserve.
  • Usually grabs some mix of First Billboard, First Errand Boy, and/or First to Throw Away.
  • Sometimes grabs a trainer to push a management trainee up the ladder towards Vice President
  • Can rush First Waitress to help support a couple salaried employees, for a mixed strategy.

B) The Vertical Opening: Turn 1 Trainer, rush First to Train
  • Focus towards a small number of high-quality employees.
  • The longer-term opening. Usually pair with $200-300 reserve.
  • Can parley easier into several high power strats, like Guru or New Housing Developer or Radio Flood.

Also matter what strategy you choose, every strategy needs to aim for the "First to $100" milestone. If one player takes it alone, that player will usually run away with the game.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I am in a game right now where I'm currently kicking rear end and might win; I went for turn 1 trainer but the real difference was I aimed to create demand and sell food. You might think "well duh" but everyone else went for hoovering up milestones. They're great bonuses but I'm currently running away with the game thanks to my head start on actually you know, selling food.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

TheCog posted:

Gutter Owl posted:

Two, because turn based is actually a solid game, gently caress the haters. :colbert:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Just found out I got gifted Mechs and Minions. The production value is amazing; by far best of any game I've handled or seen.

Not just the sculpt etc quality, but the art design and execution. The colors really pop, it's beautiful.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Gutter Owl posted:

There are two "textbook" openings:

A) The Horizontal Opening: Turn 1 Recruiting Girl, rush First to Hire 3.
  • Amass a huge wad of entry-level dorks.
  • The faster opening. Usually pair with $100-200 reserve.
  • Usually grabs some mix of First Billboard, First Errand Boy, and/or First to Throw Away.
  • Sometimes grabs a trainer to push a management trainee up the ladder towards Vice President
  • Can rush First Waitress to help support a couple salaried employees, for a mixed strategy.

B) The Vertical Opening: Turn 1 Trainer, rush First to Train
  • Focus towards a small number of high-quality employees.
  • The longer-term opening. Usually pair with $200-300 reserve.
  • Can parley easier into several high power strats, like Guru or New Housing Developer or Radio Flood.

Also matter what strategy you choose, every strategy needs to aim for the "First to $100" milestone. If one player takes it alone, that player will usually run away with the game.

Here I'd disagree quite a bit. Even if you're going with a strategy of training the biggest number of highly trained people, opening with a trainer is a horrible idea. It means that turn 1 you get a trainer, turn 2 you need to get a manager (and then instantly train them), and then from turn 3 you can start your engine. Getting a recruiter turn 1 is key towards having any real momentum in the game.

Beelining the first to hire 3 people seems to be the most optimal strategy in almost all cases - the early flexibility you gain is amazing, and it sets you up nicely to start getting some income quickly. My favorite opening so far is to go the route of getting burgers and pizza because those give you extra salaried employees for being the first to make a burger or a pizza, and pair that with a trainer. Now you're able to pick up the first to pay $20 in salaries, and by hiring 3-5 trainers, you can very quickly catapult yourself up the ladder towards highly trained employees.

Waitresses are really nice, but stunt your growth. In the early game, you need as many hires and trains as you can get your grubby mitts on to get your engine out a turn or two earlier than your opponents. Diverting towards waitresses doesn't give you a major competitive advantage in the late game, while getting something like a kitchen boy + marketer, or errand boy + marketer (one management slot for marketer, followed by one management slot for food producer, as that's the constraining resource), gives you a competitive advantage in advertising, making more food, and potentially can get you a freezer. In the late game when waitresses are key for breaking ties, it's not hard to divert a few recruits and a couple of management slots towards them then. You also have access to more powerful tiebreakers like regional managers and pricing managers.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
As with most things, it depends also on your opponents. I did a 5p game where everyone went for recruiter, I broke ranks with a "suboptimal" trainer 1st hire. That really just meant that I was able to grab the three salary discount uncontested, and was able to train up a brand manager for radio ads before anyone else. Combined with a central position I had an incredible amount of control over demand.

Of course that's the game I'm doing well in though :v:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I've won more than once by going trainer first into guru. Guru allows you to do pretty crazy stuff because it's very difficult for your opponent to react to your hires. I've absolutely crushed by doing this against people going for hires and being one turn behind in selling food is not an issue when you have such a crushing advantage in training at this early a stage.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Played Codex a half a dozen times the past week with a couple different players. All positive responses. My friend who I play Mage Wars with liked it but he's not good at deck building but it was straightforward enough that he was able to figure out what was going on.

Last night was the best game I had so far with a total board game newbie and he loved it. I was at 4 base HP when I won so it was very close. He was playing pure White and I was pure Blue. He leveled his Strength hero up quickly and put me on a clock when he hit his second level band. Unfortunately, he then teched Heroes Monument and sped his clock up to three turns when I was at 12. I built the building that draws me a card when a unit comes into play an a bird soldier, next turn I played a guy that gets token when a unit comes into play and can give them to other units, then just blew threw my deck with nothing but units, built up a ten tokens and moved then onto the bird and swung for 15 in one hit. He didn't have time to drop an antiair after my bird so it was a total hail mary on my part, and I'm still not sure that a until can have more than one 1+/+1 token on it, I'll have to check that because seems like something that might be errata'd. I saw a similar unit in the Green units and used it to create some monsters there too.

Anyway, it was a great game and I didn't expect he'd pick it up so quickly. He later mentioned that it reminded him of a 10-year old PC game called Armageddon Empires so if you know that game and liked it, maybe check Codex.

The other games were much less close, in terms of final base HP, but the tier 3 level means the game will end very soon, even many of the tier two cards require immediate answers. Still fun and competitive, although it might feel like the end came out of nowhere if you aren't paying close attention and protecting yourself well.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 29, 2016

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

PaybackJack posted:

nd I'm still not sure that a until can have more than one 1+/+1 token on it, I'll have to check that because seems like something that might be errata'd. I saw a similar unit in the Green units and used it to create some monsters there too.

Totally allowed, just like in Magic.

quote:

Anyway, it was a great game and I didn't expect he'd pick it up so quickly. He later mentioned that it reminded him of a 10-year old PC game called Armageddon Empires so if you know that game and liked it, maybe check Codex.

Oh dang, that's one of Vic Davis's old titles. Never played AE, but I've wanted a tabletop adaptation of Solium Infernum for years.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 29, 2016

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mister Sinewave posted:

As with most things, it depends also on your opponents. I did a 5p game where everyone went for recruiter, I broke ranks with a "suboptimal" trainer 1st hire. That really just meant that I was able to grab the three salary discount uncontested, and was able to train up a brand manager for radio ads before anyone else. Combined with a central position I had an incredible amount of control over demand.

Of course that's the game I'm doing well in though :v:

It's nice, but why were you in a better place to exploit the demand that you're creating than your opponents? With a larger and more flexible organization, they absolutely should have been able to react to any demand that you put on the board and profited from it.

Tekopo posted:

I've won more than once by going trainer first into guru. Guru allows you to do pretty crazy stuff because it's very difficult for your opponent to react to your hires. I've absolutely crushed by doing this against people going for hires and being one turn behind in selling food is not an issue when you have such a crushing advantage in training at this early a stage.

Guru is amazing, absolutely. So is the ability to combine your trainers by being the first to pay $20 in salaries. It's not mandatory to have one or the other, but it's a huge advantage. You can get the $20 in salaries online pretty quickly (kitchen boy twice for two employees, train up two other employees - this can be acheived as early as turn 5 and be exploited by turn 6, compared to a guru that comes online turn 4 and is used turn 5, but has nearly no other supporting employees), and as nice as an early guru is, I prefer to have a larger organization behind my training corps.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Gutter Owl posted:

Totally allowed, just like in Magic.

Actually the moving tokens was the broken part. Both units just move them without any cost which seems ridiculous. I mean they were both T2 units but since green can cheat their higher tech units into play, I had that unit out much earlier than usual. Green generates a ton of tokens as well, I'd hate to see a deck that put both these together with haste or unstoppable. Brutal!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ugh player piece colors

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
What're you playing there, Synth?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Walled City. I won by accident

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Always a good sign.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/139508/walled-city-londonderry-borderlands

Player piece colors: Brown, black, gray and khaki, hahahah.

Otherwise kind of interesting I guess? Its like if someone took the field fight portion of Carcassonne and turned it into its own game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Now this is a helluva one two punch from the delivery driver.