Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I mentioned it in the video, but here it is, the real life Zora guitar, created by Jackson guitars for a Nintendo Power contest to promote the release of this game.

Supposedly, anywhere between 5-7 of these exist, so trying to get one will probably cost you an arm, a leg and probably a kidney and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for the rest of his life.

Teach a fish to man, and you get :krad: guitar solos.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Pyroi posted:

Also, I love the scene where, while on Death's Door, Mikau still finds time to play the guitar.

He died doing what he loved.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

ChaosArgate posted:

I mentioned it in the video, but here it is, the real life Zora guitar, created by Jackson guitars for a Nintendo Power contest to promote the release of this game.

Supposedly, anywhere between 5-7 of these exist, so trying to get one will probably cost you an arm, a leg and probably a kidney and a half.

I was hoping sooo much to get this, sadly never won the contests :(

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I like how the Zora explanation Artix was so eager to give meant that Fae went running away from the grave, despite Mikau saying to write his dying song on it. And after Fae got her notepad ready to write it down and everything. :allears:

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

Yapping Eevee posted:

I like how the Zora explanation Artix was so eager to give meant that Fae went running away from the grave, despite Mikau saying to write his dying song on it. And after Fae got her notepad ready to write it down and everything. :allears:

"You should probably go see what's in the house with the hook on it while we're here." "Yeah but first, jump into the water and go swimming around!"

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Yapping Eevee posted:

There is no actual song. It's a tutorial on how Zora Link works, just like Darmani's grave. :ssh:

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Zora Link's swimming mechanics being colossally bungled in MM3D was a huge problem I had with it. Thankfully you can fudge it with Chateau Romani's infinite MP, but you're locked into the Monster Hunter Claw to keep it going.

Never got the rationale for it; there's almost never an expanse of water that isn't huge and doesn't need full-bore watersprinting.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The swimming mechanics were hardly colossally bungled in MM3D. They were improved in that holding A to swim fast is clearly slower than it used to be, allowing you to maneuver with improved precision especially in spaces tighter than an ocean without you having to bonk repeatedly all over the walls, which was a welcome change. That's obviously a detriment to the original fast swimming mechanics, so they compromised and made it so you have to hold R to swim fast like you used to. However, that also means you'll be constantly using the somewhat annoying sounding electric shield and burning magic. In fact, without magic, pressing R only lets you do a short burst of speed.

If you know what you're doing the new system doesn't really become a problem, but at the same time, if you know what you're doing you don't really require the more maneuverable mechanics either. It's a bit of an annoying change but I can see why thought it was useful especially for new players.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

tiistai posted:

If you know what you're doing the new system doesn't really become a problem, but at the same time, if you know what you're doing you don't really require the more maneuverable mechanics either. It's a bit of an annoying change but I can see why thought it was useful especially for new players.

Yeah, once you got used to it it was more manageable, but there are still huge expanses of water to go through, and you burn through meter a little too fast, especially since there's no way to ration meter since pressing the R button takes a tick off regardless of how long it's held, so there's the whole IV drip of Green Potions needed if you don't want to wait for the milk.

There are other ways they could have handled it maybe, like a toggle between the default swim being slow or fast, but I think the easiest fix would have been the shield not devouring MP the way it does.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

MM3D swimming controls were functional, MM64 swimming controls were actively fun. I'm fine calling that a bungle. There were other ways they could have modified it to give more maneuverability while leaving the fun part intact.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Artix posted:

There is no actual song. It's a tutorial on how Zora Link works, just like Darmani's grave. :ssh:
Huh. Memory failed me there, it seems. :downs:

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Valgaav posted:

Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for the rest of his life.

Teach a fish to man, and you get :krad: guitar solos.

:golfclap:

Mikau's voice clips remind me of Rayman for some reason.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Yapping Eevee posted:

Huh. Memory failed me there, it seems. :downs:

Your memory didn't entirely fail you, Mikau's Zora mode tutorial is in the form of a song.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Materant posted:

Your memory didn't entirely fail you, Mikau's Zora mode tutorial is in the form of a song.

"Left C Right C A Up C Up C, You can swim faster by holding A, YEAH!"

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Oops this is a little late because I'm an idiot who was actually excited about a Binding of Isaac expansion :saddowns: but at least I got to make this adorable thing while I was waiting for the content to unlock?

https://twitter.com/superherofae/status/816585636476022785

Episode 42 - You Are A Slimy Fish

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I would buy those.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Well this episode more or less demonstrates why the easier swimming controls in 3D weren't such a terrible idea. If you haven't mastered the fast swimming and aren't familiar with the layout, the constant wallbonks will soon cause headaches for both Mikau and yourself. The 3D controls are much more forgiving.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I remember first learning to swim as a zora in this game, and your constant mistakes of turning yourself around and going the wrong way looks very familiar to me. Basically, you're having the same problem I did at first-- you're fighting with the controls, too used to really sucky swimming from other games where you HAVE to fight. Here, you just need soft gentle nudges... suggestions of where you want to go, instead of hammering on it. Once you stop being forceful, swimming becomes almost telepathic... it's REALLY flowing and smooth, and becomes second nature. It really is the best swimming controls of any game I've ever played, but only once you stop fighting the thing.

Iunnrais fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 6, 2017

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I've never been a fan of stealth games. I always hate doing Gerudo Fortress in Ocarina. But I genuinely enjoy it in Majora's Mask. It feels like they balanced it better this time around.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

The Great Bay is one of my favourite areas in any Zelda! Zora Link is pretty excellent too. Also, if anyone needs any extra fanart inspiration: Hatsune Mikau.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Fae, give back your Zora Badge and your Zora Gun. You are off the Fishmarket.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I think the neck corset is actually called a choker.

Also, you're not randomly jamming nearly enough. It doesn't do anything but come on, fishbone guitar.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

I dunno if this was in the original, but with MM3D's guitar shredding if you hold up on the joystick while playing a note to alter the notes being played Zora Link will close his eyes and do like a shred face and it's amazing.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If Ganondorf was raised by Pirate Gerudo instead of Desert Gerudo, do you think he'd still be committing regicide circa Ocarina of Time? From what I recall he was Mad About the Desert Wind and I don't know if maybe some nice beaches would have sorted ol' Ganny out.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Pirate Gannondorf would probably just be mad about the salty sea air or something like that.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Or the music. I love this game but man, the Great Bay music needs work

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

YggiDee posted:

If Ganondorf was raised by Pirate Gerudo instead of Desert Gerudo, do you think he'd still be committing regicide circa Ocarina of Time? From what I recall he was Mad About the Desert Wind and I don't know if maybe some nice beaches would have sorted ol' Ganny out.

Don't we have a whole Windwaker pointing out how this doesn't work?

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Water just hates that guy, either there isn't any or it's everywhere. Now we just need an ice wasteland Ganondorf so that water has hosed with him in all possible ways.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

To be fair to Ganondorf, the guy is literally a curse-made-flesh, an ancient demon's last spiteful "Fuuuuuuck yooooou" when the original Link killed him and didn't let him finish destroying the world after he had been trapped as a scaly landfish underground by a magical spike for however many centuries (after his previous actually pretty damned successful attempt to kill everyone, or at least every hylian). Poor guy's destined to hate everything, be miserable and then try to share that hate and misery with everyone no matter what.

That being said I do love Manly Guys Doing Manly Thing's rather chill version of him.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Anti-Citizen posted:

Don't we have a whole Windwaker pointing out how this doesn't work?

That's specifically what I was referring to, in the end of Wind Waker he's all "I grew up in a desert and the wind was crappy and I wanted Hyrule's sweet wind for myself".

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Gertrude Perkins posted:

The Great Bay is one of my favourite areas in any Zelda! Zora Link is pretty excellent too. Also, if anyone needs any extra fanart inspiration: Hatsune Mikau.

Ever since I read this post I crack up every time I tink about it and its made a lovely week a little brighter

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Episode 43 - Wasps Are Avatars of Pure Hatred

I really hate wasps and those pirates deserved what they got for stealing Egg :colbert:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

This pirate stealth section is so much better than OOT's Gerudo Fortress. It also has some really good music.

Glad to see you guys didn't have Fae collect that item that got moved to this place in the 3DS version before entering, though. (gently caress that thing being in a completely different spot and thus impossible to find for people who know the old game.)

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
It's kind of annoying that the hookshot isn't usable in Zora form, since the egg rooms require using both of those and OOT set the precedent that the hookshot can be used underwater. I can think of a later part where it would be convenient, too. Not overall a huge deal, but I would have liked it.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
On the subject of bees and wasps, I am solidly in Fae's camp.

Bees are harmless unless you actively piss them off.

Wasps hate you and all you stand for. Just because.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Shei-kun posted:

On the subject of bees and wasps, I am solidly in Fae's camp.

Bees are harmless unless you actively piss them off.

Wasps hate you and all you stand for. Just because.

I like bees but they scare the poo poo out of me because most of the ones we have here are africanized bees. And they're kinda like wasps. They just are assholels for no reason.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Wasps are fine most of the summer but towards the end of August the drones are close to dying and are very sluggish. This means that they don't pay attention and are easily startled, even if it is just by you brushing them off your clothes or something similar. They freak out and sting. Earlier in the season they are pretty harmless.

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie
Speaking of wasps and bees, gently caress if I don't find the interaction between japanese wasps and bees, and the european bees we moved there just incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

grimlock_master posted:

Speaking of wasps and bees, gently caress if I don't find the interaction between japanese wasps and bees, and the european bees we moved there just incredible

You've peaked my curiosity