Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Oh hey the caste system episode.

The Bajorans are a garbage people.

Cardassia did nothing wrong.

By that logic they did; They stopped occupying Bajor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
They also didn't glass the planet on the way out.

So Cardassia did a few things wrong.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Oh hey the caste system episode.

The Bajorans are a garbage people.

Cardassia did nothing wrong.

"We would like to join the Federation please"
"Wait, where is the diplomat I've been speaking to for years?"
"Oh this whole djara thing. We actually killed them because they had an undesirable last name. We have an ex dabo girl though. Her geographical place of birth means she is a diplomat."

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Caste systems both real and fake are a compelling argument against cultural/moral relativism. I had forgotten about Bajor's Not Dharma and now I'm mad about a TV show

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
my favorite messily-aborted plot to poo poo on from BSG was that weird "resurrection virus" they did for, what, two or three episodes?

so the cylons run into this space probe supposedly from the 13th colony/tribe, and not only does it make them sick and kills them, but the sickness follows them through resurrection

they freak out and run the gently caress away from the infected ship, which is then found by the colonials who figure out what the gently caress is going on, and roslin decides this can be used to retaliate against the cylons and maybe get them off humanity's back at least for a while, if not permanently

(keeping in mind the cylons are all still trying to exterminate humanity and there is no reason to think that they won't eventually succeed given their technology and still-functioning industrial support base)

well, the writers' second-favorite character big ol' chisel-jawed hero Helo doesn't like this one bit. it ain't right. so he takes it upon himself to sabotage the attack plan, which is transparently contrived to allow it to be sabotaged in a way that has no consequences for any of our main cast.

the plan calls for galactica to jump back and basically throw down the gauntlet to the nearest cylon battle formation it can find, trying to goad a resurrection ship into being near enough. after the cylons jump in, galactica's crew is to execute the infected cylons, transmitting the resurrection virus back to the resurrection ship, which will then hopefully spread it to much of cylon society.

here's the contrived part: rather than having the cylons bound and gagged (or even just straight-up under sedation) with guns pointed at their heads ready to shoot the moment that big ol' resurrection ship is spotted, the sequence instead is:

• galactica jumps in, waits for cylons to show up
  • cylon scout raiders show up
  • cylon basestars and resurrection ship show up
  • okay now it's time to have Apollo and friends start walking halfway across the ship to go murder the cylons, rather than just have someone in the room

but it's important nobody's in the room with them, because helo scuttles the plan by sabotaging the environmental controls so as to pump all the air out of the room the cylons are being held in, killing them before the resurrection ship shows up

but because no humans got hurt in the process, the writers feel free to just sweep literal treason under the rug. no big deal

that to me was one of the bigger betrayals of the series premise. the show got sold to us as being unafraid of dealing with consequences, and they ran away from that one big time

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

my favorite messily-aborted plot to poo poo on from BSG was that weird "resurrection virus" they did for, what, two or three episodes?

so the cylons run into this space probe supposedly from the 13th colony/tribe, and not only does it make them sick and kills them, but the sickness follows them through resurrection

they freak out and run the gently caress away from the infected ship, which is then found by the colonials who figure out what the gently caress is going on, and roslin decides this can be used to retaliate against the cylons and maybe get them off humanity's back at least for a while, if not permanently

(keeping in mind the cylons are all still trying to exterminate humanity and there is no reason to think that they won't eventually succeed given their technology and still-functioning industrial support base)

well, the writers' second-favorite character big ol' chisel-jawed hero Helo doesn't like this one bit. it ain't right. so he takes it upon himself to sabotage the attack plan, which is transparently contrived to allow it to be sabotaged in a way that has no consequences for any of our main cast.

the plan calls for galactica to jump back and basically throw down the gauntlet to the nearest cylon battle formation it can find, trying to goad a resurrection ship into being near enough. after the cylons jump in, galactica's crew is to execute the infected cylons, transmitting the resurrection virus back to the resurrection ship, which will then hopefully spread it to much of cylon society.

here's the contrived part: rather than having the cylons bound and gagged (or even just straight-up under sedation) with guns pointed at their heads ready to shoot the moment that big ol' resurrection ship is spotted, the sequence instead is:

• okay now it's time to have Apollo and friends start walking halfway across the ship to go murder the cylons, rather than just have someone in the room

but it's important nobody's in the room with them, because helo scuttles the plan by sabotaging the environmental controls so as to pump all the air out of the room the cylons are being held in, killing them before the resurrection ship shows up

but because no humans got hurt in the process, the writers feel free to just sweep literal treason under the rug. no big deal

that to me was one of the bigger betrayals of the series premise. the show got sold to us as being unafraid of dealing with consequences, and they ran away from that one big time

There's a deleted scene an episode or 2 later where Helo gets congratulated for being not racist in which he starts to confess what he did in this episode and Adama's like "continuing this conversation will end in an execution" so Helo stops.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Met posted:

I don't know, man. People tell me Lost was good to a point. But I watched the first episode and thought it was awful. Maybe it was just always awful and people really fall for grand mysteries. :shrug:

The first like season and a half of Lost is mainly melodrama about people getting their poo poo together on a weird island, still a good watch IMO, even knowing where it goes

The middle part is where it gets all serialised and twisty, it was fun to follow along at the time but not so great in retrospect. Probably where the show gets its bad rep

There's a season that's set 50 years in the past, I really like that one but it has a pretty stupid premise we need to nuke the electromagnetism to travel through time so I can see why some people wouldn't

Then there's like 10 hours of slow approach to the lame finale where all the good characters get hastily written out so the most boring ones can be heroes

So yeah "good to a point" is accurate I think, different people will have different "points" but it was def better at the start and not really the show people think it was. (Of course if you already didn't like it at the start then this probably isn't very helpful information, sorry)

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Dec 29, 2016

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

They also didn't glass the planet on the way out.

So Cardassia did a few things wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLfR9CEUySQ

The Cardassians had to constantly put up with ungrateful arrogant rabble-rousing Jews Arabs Space Semites.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Tempo 119 posted:

So yeah "good to a point" is accurate I think, different people will have different "points" but it was def better at the start and not really the show people think it was. (Of course if you already didn't like it at the start then this probably isn't very helpful information, sorry)

The thing that BSG has over Lost is that at least it told some compelling stories before the writing went to complete poo poo, though I'd forgotten that resurrection virus thing and that was before the third season iirc so BSG wasn't exactly ironclad either. Lost was just garbage fluff though. It was addictive to watch but didn't end up having a damned thing to say. I tapped out during the third season and by all accounts, that was the right decision, yet I still resent how much of my time the show wasted.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Cardassian meritocracy is more civilized than the Bajoran caste system.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
<points at giant screen with Dukat's face on it, nods to Automatic Slim, speaks in agreement>

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The entire TV IV thread loved to defend Helo and condemn the evil selfish humans who were barely holding off extinction, but you're right. The way cylon civilization worked, there were no innocents, no contentious objectors, every cylon was complicit in committing genocide and was actively working towards finishing the job and they should have been all wiped out. They tried and totally forgot a bunch of plotlines in S3 like that. Remember the ace pilot who escaped from cylon prison and made his way all the way to the fleet by himself in a stolen ship, just so he could join the cast and then never once get mentioned again?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
It's also a situation where Helo's actions look even weaker in retrospect. We were told the cylons had a plan and likely assumed the plan allowed some coexistence or something similar, so we the viewers might be more willing to cut them some slack. But in the end, the plan was "kill all humans" and Helo himself had no reason to believe the cylons were anything but bloodthirsty genocidal robots, making his actions that much worse and coming down to essentially putting the whole of humanity at risk because he wanted to bone one of the cylons.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'll give this for BSG: they got ship design right. There's nothing graceful about Galactica or Pegasus. They're warships and they look it.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

i love that argument

yeah we're designing this bazillion dollar capital space ship but we literally have no designers to hand at all. yeah its going to be on a ton of papers and posters and TV and poo poo, representing literally our entire species, so what

yeah it can be literally any shape but we don't want people thinking we have cultural superiority as well as military, that poo poo would be unprecedented. imagine if people put ornate sculptures on the front of naval warships, it would be ridiculous.

yeah, of course we got to have nice looking designer uniforms, that way we look smart and intimidating, it's a great recruitment tool, too. you see, its down to morale, which plays a very important part in war. no, i don't see the relevance

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

MA-Horus posted:

I'll give this for BSG: they got ship design right. There's nothing graceful about Galactica or Pegasus. They're warships and they look it.

Well in that universe they had no shields so they had to have some kind of sturdy design that was at least durable looking.

With Star Trek technology and the fragility of their unprotected ships you may as well get cool with it and have giant sculptures or swans or something.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

MA-Horus posted:

The FTL system was neat, too, in its visual simplicity.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MA-Horus posted:

They really nailed the feel of them (Galactica at least, considering Pegasus reused sets from a dud Lost in Space pilot) being big logistical command ships too. The CiC's basically a war bunker/command center circa WWII; there's no fancy viewscreens, just a few radar monitors and maps with models placed on them updated by officers as new intel comes in. Everything else relies on being told what's happening by their Viper and Raptor pilots as it occurs. They're colossal hardened military emplacements as much as they are carrier ships.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Well yeah the command center is in the hardened center of the ship, without a giant window to suck the entire command staff into space if it gets hit. Like pretty much ever Trek/Wars ship.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Imperium battleships are where you go if you want bling starships.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
So Miles definitely boned the dude he was in mind prison with right?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I say believe whatever you see in your headcanon

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Good, that means he did.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
"Miles, why are you so upset and cranky?"
"Give me a break Keiko, I haven't had sex for two years!"
"But you said you were in mind prison for 8 years."

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
That was his two year anniversary of leaving the mind jail.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dicky mouse posted:

Howard Deans speech about how he wanted to be a machine still gives me chills.

I think that dude was probably my favorite actor on that show. I really liked Baltar, Roslin, + Edward James Olmos too. Had some good acting.

Also imo the dumbest part about the ending was not all the religious stuff but it was instead Lee Adama convincing everyone to shoot all their stuff into the sun for vague reasons

Johnny Aztec posted:

I unno man. Lost had some good episodes, but I sure as poo poo wouldn't rewatch any knowing how nothing was really resolved, and the wet fart of an ending.

Same thing with the Wheel of Time novels. The last two books are so drat different from the others, that it ruins any enjoyment I would have had from the previous ones.
I swear they made up that bit about Jordan having the plot and poo poo wrote down before he died and Sanders just making up the ending himself.

I dunno man, journey not destination. Lost was 100% about plot twists that never got resolved, at least BSG legit has a solid first 2 seasons if nothing else (and I like the last 2 anyway whatever).

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 29, 2016

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

drilldo squirt posted:

That was his two year anniversary of leaving the mind jail.

He killed his cell mate well before he was released. . . :stare:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXpO25EIErw

Somewhere in the UPN offices, circa 1994:
:j: "So who should we get to do the voiceover?"
:v: "How about that guy who sounds like Elmer Fudd doing an impression of the movie trailer guy?"
:j: "Perfect. Should we write up a pronunciation guide to the character names--"
:v: "Nah, it'll be okay."

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXpO25EIErw

Somewhere in the UPN offices, circa 1994:
:j: "So who should we get to do the voiceover?"
:v: "How about that guy who sounds like Elmer Fudd doing an impression of the movie trailer guy?"
:j: "Perfect. Should we write up a pronunciation guide to the character names--"
:v: "Nah, it'll be okay."

Stah Twek. Voyahjah.

I'm loving dying over here

Moridin920 posted:

I think that dude was probably my favorite actor on that show. I really liked Baltar, Roslin, + Edward James Olmos too. Had some good acting.

Also imo the dumbest part about the ending was not all the religious stuff but it was instead Lee Adama convincing everyone to shoot all their stuff into the sun for vague reasons

I dunno man, journey not destination. Lost was 100% about plot twists that never got resolved, at least BSG legit has a solid first 2 seasons if nothing else (and I like the last 2 anyway whatever).

The worst part about that bit was that all it would have taken is a two second throw away line about some of the humans deciding to gently caress off back into space with the Cylon centurions, a few of the fleet ships and their Basestar to make it significantly less stupid

Like I can buy that after all the poo poo they went through, that some people would be willing to throw away whatever remaining creature comforts they had left for "a fresh start" because hey, a lot of people are stupid. But every single last one of them? Not when there's a choice, no way.

Come live like a cave man with no deodorant, toothpaste or insulin or gently caress off through space and time with killer space robots, wow tough choice

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Met posted:

People who say all of Battlestar Gallactica sucks just because they didn't like some bits near the end are just manchildren.

It's a good show and worth watching through.

Met posted:

The show is full of great episodes. If something retroactively ruins those for you, you just might be a stubborn manchild. You should work on that.

basic hitler posted:

BSG is entirely watchable and quite good actually seriously don't let a bad finale make you avoid it.

Sure, you didn't come, but you got some good thrusting in. Therefore you are satisfied.

...unless you're....IMMATURE I guess

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol if Starbuck didn't make you cum again and again

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Moridin920 posted:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Moridin920 posted:

So, she's pumpkin spice flavored?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bloodychill posted:

though I'd forgotten that resurrection virus thing and that was before the third season iirc so BSG wasn't exactly ironclad either.

Nah, the virus was third season.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

chaosbreather posted:

i love that argument

yeah we're designing this bazillion dollar capital space ship but we literally have no designers to hand at all. yeah its going to be on a ton of papers and posters and TV and poo poo, representing literally our entire species, so what

yeah it can be literally any shape but we don't want people thinking we have cultural superiority as well as military, that poo poo would be unprecedented. imagine if people put ornate sculptures on the front of naval warships, it would be ridiculous.

yeah, of course we got to have nice looking designer uniforms, that way we look smart and intimidating, it's a great recruitment tool, too. you see, its down to morale, which plays a very important part in war. no, i don't see the relevance

Why would you compromise the integrity of the ship and thus its combat effectiveness to make it look prettier? Like you know today we design ships 100% around minimizing their radar/ladar/whatever signature not to make em look cool right?

Oh, and by the way, big figureheads on sailing warships lost popularity specifically because they adversely affected the sailing properties of the ship. Between that and the additional cost to have it, they were largely either eliminated or drastically reduced in size by the 1700s and pretty much entirely gone by 1800 except on very small vessels.

The uniform is just a uniform, it can fulfill the same function more or less if it looks a little fly or not.

(ship sperging)

Tighclops posted:

The worst part about that bit was that all it would have taken is a two second throw away line about some of the humans deciding to gently caress off back into space with the Cylon centurions, a few of the fleet ships and their Basestar to make it significantly less stupid

And yeah I would have said "gently caress you Adama lol are you smoking Chamalla?" The Janeway of BSG.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 29, 2016

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Moridin920 posted:

Wait, a chick that's flat AND covered in moles?!? *tex Avery wolf noises*

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Why cookie Rocket posted:

i think yer just hatin

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Moles add character. Like those little guys in SMB3 that throw wrenches at you on the airship levels.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Why cookie Rocket posted:

lol you dumb

Not flat at all. You get to see her topless in Riddick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
characters that abuse alcohol and or drugs and make impulsive irrational decisions often to the determent and of vexation of the other characters are attractive and interacting with people like that in your own real life will certainly not result in having entire appliances hurled at you