Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I signed up in November and I'm going through the content with a couple of other dudes, but 2 people dropped out almost immediately and now we have 1 guy who plans to dualbox, another dude, and me. Is there an IRC channel or something that I can get onto in addition to begging for a pearl ingame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

aldantefax posted:

I signed up in November and I'm going through the content with a couple of other dudes, but 2 people dropped out almost immediately and now we have 1 guy who plans to dualbox, another dude, and me. Is there an IRC channel or something that I can get onto in addition to begging for a pearl ingame?

We don't have a voice chat set up. Everyone on goonpearl has a sack by default, so getting a pearl is easy.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
If possible I'd like to get one maybe this evening US time. I was trying to see if I could /search for someone that had the pearl, but I wasn't having any luck earlier today.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Gravity 2 comes from battlegrounds, but there's usually some on the ah for like 50k

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Gravity 2 comes from battlegrounds, but there's usually some on the ah for like 50k

It's about double that now. I'll need to save up a bit then. All I need is enstone II, flurry II and gravity II to finish off my red magic list. I mean I'm only level 61, but I got the spells already.

Also I got to level 99 on my black mage! :toot: Man, ilvl gear really makes a difference. Or really not using af gear anymore made the difference. I did look great getting to 99 though.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Sprite141 posted:

It's about double that now. I'll need to save up a bit then. All I need is enstone II, flurry II and gravity II to finish off my red magic list. I mean I'm only level 61, but I got the spells already.

Also I got to level 99 on my black mage! :toot: Man, ilvl gear really makes a difference. Or really not using af gear anymore made the difference. I did look great getting to 99 though.

Reforge the AF at 99 and look great again

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006
Anyone have a Vexed Jacket at a reasonable price? AH went from 2m to god knows what and it's ridiculous.

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006
Here's a leveling map of Escha Zi'tah.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I know the map says it, but just in case. Keep in mind those are monster levels, not player levels. You can start on Worms and Obdellas in the 30s.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
I would like to remind everyone that omen is a terrible event and that this game is full of mouthbreathing retards.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
The idea of Omen is kind of making me want to play again though, but I doubt it'd be able to hold my interest for more than maybe a month.

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006
Omen requires competency and that's something that is severely lacking in pickups. Ugh.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Male of the Century posted:

The idea of Omen is kind of making me want to play again though, but I doubt it'd be able to hold my interest for more than maybe a month.

Omen has a ton of gently caress you situations in the bosses. One of the three mid bosses are easy, but none of them are soloable. Pain sync can instawipe retards. Right now I'm trying to clear kei for the earring and have failed it 4 times. Each due to monumentally retarded pickups.

So far:
A geo who afk'd without warning and cost the whole run.
A scholar who insisted on getting big number helixes, which cause massive regen.
A scholar who ran into melee range to do skillchains, got silenced and stood there saying nothing.
A black mage completely unable to magic burst due to 'lag'

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Omen is a god awful event.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Anybody on right now to get a pearl from? I'm in game as Frederichka on Asura right this moment (and I'll probably be online for most of tonight).

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I might pop online in three/four hours, just to get ya a pearl. Keep an eye out for Shinjobi.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Shinjobi posted:

I might pop online in three/four hours, just to get ya a pearl. Keep an eye out for Shinjobi.

Frod hooked me up so we are all good. Thanks buddy!

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Played a SMN/WHM to 75 back in the hay days .

Couldn't get 8 BLM together to get Diablus.

Never really played an MMO seriously since

Worth rejoining ? Would it be like when someone rejoins WoW at with an end game 60 in the new world and goes.... all that time, useless.

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before

BlueBlazer posted:

Played a SMN/WHM to 75 back in the hay days .

Couldn't get 8 BLM together to get Diablus.

Never really played an MMO seriously since

Worth rejoining ? Would it be like when someone rejoins WoW at with an end game 60 in the new world and goes.... all that time, useless.

Well, some bad news.

You missed the level cap being raised to 99, plus a bunch of ilvl gear being introduced. So chances are that all that gear you worked your rear end off for is indeed, useless now. Though you can can at least work towards upgrading your AF/AF2 to something more up to date.

As for if it's worth rejoining... it's a little difficult to say! FF11 isn't the same game it was back then. It's considerably quieter compared to before (though Asura has the vast majority of the english-speaking population now so you're gold if you're there or transfer there), but the game has also become kinder to make things more convenient on those who don't have a super lot of time to set up a group or whatever. There's teleport conveniences in basically every zone now, two extra inventories for equipment, Trust NPCs for a quick party, key items that boost exp and lower costs etc. Like, with the exception of some endgame stuff, it's very solo friendly now. You could do 95% of the story content without having to party up with actual people. For me it's definitely become an easygoing solo game.

That I pay a subscription for :negative:

I guess the question is, what are you hoping for if you return? If that first bit about being outdated wasn't off-putting, what would you want to do? Story? Content you didn't do before? Endgame?

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Actually playing through the story would be lovely. I remember the brutality of getting a full team of 60+ smn to get fenrir, entire weekends of anxiety to get through the Promethean zones, etc. The grind was just so brutal. I played smn just so I could get around zones and not get smashed to bits.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Good news, you can get yourself to level cap and passably geared (at least enough for story content), as well as do almost all of the story, completely solo.

Some of the later Adoulin and Rhapsodies story content isn't quite as solo-friendly, but most stuff you can steamroll with trusts and ilvl gear.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Vil posted:

Good news, you can get yourself to level cap and passably geared (at least enough for story content), as well as do almost all of the story, completely solo.

Some of the later Adoulin and Rhapsodies story content isn't quite as solo-friendly, but most stuff you can steamroll with trusts and ilvl gear.

I don't have to solo as SMN/THF for 8 hours a day for a week to find drops off mobs 10 levels beneath me? Spirit Taker skillchaining with Ifrit made a pretty badass thing to watch for hours on end....

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

BlueBlazer posted:

I don't have to solo as SMN/THF for 8 hours a day for a week to find drops off mobs 10 levels beneath me? Spirit Taker skillchaining with Ifrit made a pretty badass thing to watch for hours on end....

If you come back, look into the following systems in particular:

- Trust (both the system unlock in general as well as acquiring a variety of specific NPCs)
- Records of Eminence (in particular, the stuff in the Tutorial category, as well as checking out some other categories when you're out and about leveling)
- Rhapsodies of Vana'diel (do these concurrently with leveling and other story, at least until you get to the point where you can summon up to 5 trusts)

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Next update is the 10th. Nothing major, new ambuscade, some omen changes. Tweaks to some trust ai.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
The new ambuscade rewards are going to be vouchers-based to cherry pick equipment, right? That is maybe cool.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Well this is a pretty limpdick update.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
The new mount is cool, but everything else is kinda bland.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Next update tonighy. More omen tweaks (farming cards without bosses). New quest. Geo nerf.

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006

Technically needed to happen, but, bleh. Good time to take a break anyway.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Oh hey, SoA +1 rings... prerequisites are basically half of an ergon weapon. Or about 6 months of quests.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

frodnonnag posted:

Oh hey, SoA +1 rings... prerequisites are basically half of an ergon weapon. Or about 6 months of quests.

Hell yeah I am so there

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Out of curiosity, do these new(ish) Ygnas Directive quests go more into the plot line of Arciela's vanishing father, or was that pretty much dropped with its last reference still being when you get Arciela's trust?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I wanted Dynamis - Adoulin so bad, regardless of the logistical nightmare.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
And sold it for 600m gil.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Breaking news: camping NMs for empyrean weapons is poop.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I just relapsed and have decided to come back after 4ish years. I left before Geo and Rune came out. I am currently on Bahamut which used to be the most populated server, which now seems JP exclusively. Also I have no one showing up on my friends list.

I see the goon link shell is on Asura, and I may move over after I eliminate my 2 mules, as they don't or won't seem all that useful anymore (also not shelling out more $$ for them to transfer).

I have decided to limit my options for play. I don't want to get into the daily hardcore play of old, nor do I want to feel like I need to get every job to 99. I plan to main Bst and dabble on Smn and Blu. Sam, Mnk, and Nin may have to just be shelved.

I also plan to stay out of Abyssea unless I have to go in for some reason. Farming for time sucked. I don't have the new expansions as of yet, but I want to give myself some time to get reacquainted before going whole hog.

Any suggestions on what I should do freshly returning? One thing for sure is Leaping Lizzy for the only reason that I never got the boots.

Im giving myself a month to start and test out old waters.

Edit: haha quickly realizing this was a dumb idea because there is too much to do

hagie fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 12, 2017

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Just eventually work your way to an ilvl119 set and skip Abyssea completely.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I had the same idea, and gave up after a few classes. It really is far too much to do, with nothing but grinding.

Now I'm just slowly working on getting all the story done. So far I have bastok and zilart done, working on san d oria now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I had Bastok city done, and pretty much all of the story from the expansions. WotG and ToUA were always tricky, but I think I was way along if not completed. I cancelled it last night but I still have the month to play around. Still some time to Bst it up.

I might swing in to FFXIV for a month or 2. It's still populated and has that new car smell, and kind of scratches the itch.