Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Kikas posted:

Walking Pokemon
DexNav
Battle Frontier in ORAS
Type Gems
the Underground
dynamic music (BW)
slapping pokemon in Amie
the Berserk Gene
the PWT
VS Seeker

Some of those are left out for regional purposes, but other could come back easily.

There's also,

Contests
Musicals
Pokethelon
Medals ( I went through the Elite 4 17 more times to get all the medals.)
Movie Studio
Trainer Videos
Photo Spots ( Team photos in HGSS and individual photos in XY. )
Secret Bases
Battle Chateaux
That bar in Platinum where all the gym leaders hang out and you can refight them once per day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

How about Ball Capsules and seals, eh?

*playing Platinum after a six year hiatus*
"Man, why wasn't I using these things. They're pretty neat."
PLEASE REMOVE BALL CAPSULE BEFORE DEPOSITING POKEMON
"Ah, that's why..."

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
having my Froslass come out in a torrent of Pyro was absolutely the best part of Gen 4 and the only thing from that gen I honestly miss.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
if they can make contests as fun as they were in gen 3, i'd want them back, but i think maybe that also requires me to be a middle school student with too much time on my hands to be true

so invent time travel gamefreak

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Walking Pokémon is cool/cute, but I understand why it's cut, i.e. space limitations. Also, it makes no sense with guys like Wailord who would be impossible to maneuver around with in anything but the widest paths.

Ball Capsules were cool, yeah, but ultimately superfluous and poorly implemented.

DexNav was definitely useful, and is probably the most egregious loss in the series. I got used to SuMo's system pretty quickly though and rarely missed it.

Battle Frontier really needed to be in ORAS, no excuse there but time/laziness.

Type Gems are a balance issue, I believe.

Dynamic music is missed, but again, superfluous.

PWT is the type of thing that probably should be reserved for once a generation in whatever the last games of the series end up being. It was a lot of fun, but isn't a priority for good reason.

VS Seeker fits with the DexNav loss as being really frustrating because it doesn't seem like it would've been a big time investment, and was so, so useful.

Pokéathalon is the only "mini-game" I liked, and I miss it, but it doesn't really need to come back.

And a reliable way to rebattle Gym Leaders/Captains/Kahunas is always awesome, and should honestly be a thing in every game.

Everything else I couldn't care less about.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the underground is life. also dexnav

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Nessa posted:

There's also,

Contests
Musicals
Pokethelon
Medals ( I went through the Elite 4 17 more times to get all the medals.)
Movie Studio
Trainer Videos
Photo Spots ( Team photos in HGSS and individual photos in XY. )
Secret Bases
Battle Chateaux
That bar in Platinum where all the gym leaders hang out and you can refight them once per day.

Before anyone claims musicals were bad or a waste of time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U_o-OR62NI

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mandatory lesbian posted:

if they can make contests as fun as they were in gen 3, i'd want them back, but i think maybe that also requires me to be a middle school student with too much time on my hands to be true

so invent time travel gamefreak

that's celebi's power

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Hammerite posted:

Before anyone claims musicals were bad or a waste of time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U_o-OR62NI

Stuff like this is why Wailord will always be one of the best water types.

Bring back Coliseum/XD/Battle Revolution's to scale Wailord model.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
Alright seriously, how do I catch Cosmog post game? I've read online that you're supposed to go to the shrine of whatever version you're playing (Moon in my case), at nighttime. Did that, wouldn't let me go in the portal. Then it read it's exactly at 6pm. Changed my 3DS clock. Nothing. Changed it to 6am. Still nothing. Can I ever transverse said portal or is the game going to just continue being a jerk to me?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

LemonLimeTime posted:

Alright seriously, how do I catch Cosmog post game? I've read online that you're supposed to go to the shrine of whatever version you're playing (Moon in my case), at nighttime. Did that, wouldn't let me go in the portal. Then it read it's exactly at 6pm. Changed my 3DS clock. Nothing. Changed it to 6am. Still nothing. Can I ever transverse said portal or is the game going to just continue being a jerk to me?

You have to go to the altar with your box legendary in your party. Box legendary opens a portal that you go through, and once inside the portal, then go to the shrine.

If you changed your 3DS clock, all the time-based stuff is put on hold for 24 hours.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
why isn't there an ev checker in sun/moon

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Tired Moritz posted:

why isn't there an ev checker in sun/moon

Press Y in the summary menu.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

LemonLimeTime posted:

You go to the portal during Moon's daytime with Nebby's Mega form in the party. But since you changed your clock, you're gently caress for 24 hours. Don't do that.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dienes posted:

You have to go to the altar with your box legendary in your party. Box legendary opens a portal that you go through, and once inside the portal, then go to the shrine.

If you changed your 3DS clock, all the time-based stuff is put on hold for 24 hours.
More specifically, you have to have the correct box legendary for the time of day you want to end up in - Solgaleo to make night into day and Lunala to make day into night - but the actual version you're playing and the OT of that legendary doesn't matter. I've gone into artificial night on my Sun cart with a traded Lunala!

(credit to whoever told me in Discord that it worked this way)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Senerio posted:

Press Y in the summary menu.

what the gently caress? lame, it's not even detailed.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Tired Moritz posted:

EV resetting berries are plentiful in the game. Worst case scenario you reset your EVs to zero and with the corresponding power item + pokérus, you can fully EV train a Pokémon in 15 minutes or less. Then you have complete control and can keep tabs on what EVs they're getting.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

I want to say the Electric trial captain tells you about this, or certainly I learnt about it some point in game around that point.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Alternatively, put a newly hatched pokemon in a level 3 Evelup for like 2 days real time. Boom, instant EV trained pokemon.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Evelup is soooo slow compared to just EV training with a power item. I used to to create an initial Battle Tree team to farm BP and never again.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Did they cap out EVs at 252 finally

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

leftist heap posted:

Evelup is soooo slow compared to just EV training with a power item. I used to to create an initial Battle Tree team to farm BP and never again.

It's better at getting you to numbers that aren't exactly 252 though.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Reinanigans posted:

EV resetting berries are plentiful in the game. Worst case scenario you reset your EVs to zero and with the corresponding power item + pokérus, you can fully EV train a Pokémon in 15 minutes or less. Then you have complete control and can keep tabs on what EVs they're getting.

you make it sound like power items are easy to get

I miss punching balloons/spamming surf.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Did they cap out EVs at 252 finally

As of gen 6.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Shield dust is a great ability because only garbage pokemon have had it before, causing people to never think about it.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-507626111

leftist heap posted:

If there's no rush then the speed of EV isle doesn't really matter for EV training.

Wish the experience training wasn't garbage.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
At max Evelup level, it's just over 1¼ days for a stat to be trained up to 252 with Beans, and you can do 3 stats for 6 pokemon each.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Zoness posted:

missed this post earlier but trick room is in the best place it's been for a long time this generation. VGC2017 matches have mons setting and unsetting trick room instead of just playing around it. Porygon2 is insanely prevalent even on teams that don't focus on TR just because it can reliably mess with the opponent's TR. In singles Trick Room is doing insanely well in the 6v6 ladder, probably the best it's done since gen 5 with Reuniclus and Bronzong.

Vikavolt and Alolan Marowak are monsters in Trick Room. This would be the best generation for Mega Ampharos, if only Ampharosite existed (also Mawilite).

Trick room is such a powerful effect that lasting for 3 more turns would be potentially insanely overpowered, because how well a pokemon performs in trick room can be adjusted for each pokemon on an individual basis, rather than in a preset fashion like synergystic abilities/typings for weather.

Also there is an item for trick room - Mental Herb :haw:.

do not make trick room even less preventable than it already is, looking at basically unpreventable trick room setters like the grumpy ape, the computer duck, a witch, or the cute clockwork girl (this one isn't usable in vgc or battle spot of course)

actually do this to make it easier to unset trick room

To add onto this, what makes Trick Room so great is that bulky slow attackers in Trick Room are stronger in terms of stats than a fast attacker in normal conditions. And Alola introduced a ton of bulky slow attackers.

Internet Kraken posted:

Shield dust is a great ability because only garbage pokemon have had it before, causing people to never think about it.

If there's no rush then the speed of EV isle doesn't really matter for EV training.

Wish the experience training wasn't garbage.

:psyboom: Shield Dust stops Fake Out?

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 29, 2016

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Holy poo poo

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Tired Moritz posted:

you make it sound like power items are easy to get

I miss punching balloons/spamming surf.

Getting enough BP for 2-3 power items is a simple matter of slamming your Timid Tapu Koko against regular singles a couple of times.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

I'm sure this has been covered many times in almost 800 pages but I went back about a dozen and didn't see anything pertinent. I just finished the main story in Sun, and I'm kind of in a limbo period in being able to quickly level up guys. I never did anything with Festival Plaza while I was playing through the story, and in a bunch of online articles I see that Festival Plaza has the fastest way to level with the rare kitchens. Apparently I need 5 star rare kitchens, so my question is A: how high of rank does my Festival Plaza need to be, and B: is the best way to level it just to sit and stare at the screen and wait to jump on missions that pop up?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Namaer posted:

I'm sure this has been covered many times in almost 800 pages but I went back about a dozen and didn't see anything pertinent. I just finished the main story in Sun, and I'm kind of in a limbo period in being able to quickly level up guys. I never did anything with Festival Plaza while I was playing through the story, and in a bunch of online articles I see that Festival Plaza has the fastest way to level with the rare kitchens. Apparently I need 5 star rare kitchens, so my question is A: how high of rank does my Festival Plaza need to be, and B: is the best way to level it just to sit and stare at the screen and wait to jump on missions that pop up?

If you have a fortune teller tent, it will multiply your FC received by 2/4/6/8x for doing a specific thing.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Namaer posted:

Apparently I need 5 star rare kitchens, so my question is A: how high of rank does my Festival Plaza need to be, and B: is the best way to level it just to sit and stare at the screen and wait to jump on missions that pop up?
Fortune Teller buffs are the best way to farm FC, but missions are the best with no prep. There's no rank requirement because the only "reasonable" probability way to get them is to pay 1500 FC and get them from someone else you've connected with who has them in slot 1 of their plaza :shepicide:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Namaer posted:

When you rank up your plaza you're offered a random building to replace one of your current ones. Higher ranked buildings are more rare. I'd recommend grinding for enough points to buy a rare kitchen from a guest. Talk to a guest and ask them if they know any good facilities. You might need to have a plaza rank of a certain level though.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Hammerite posted:

I got an Adamant Kartana and a Jolly one, now what should the other two be? Maybe I should catch a duplicate and just trade it away to get a Celesteela, since I'm having no luck trying to give this Pheromosa away for one.

I like how the ultra beasts all have crazy stat distributions.

Yeah it's a cool idea. I guess they just felt like they needed an 'in universe' explanation as to why they have such wildly asymetrical stat distributions. The only pokemon before that that had similar stats was deoxys and it also came from another world.

Zoness posted:

Tapu Bulu and Vikavolt definitely can, but fake out protection is a thing, and it also depends on the Oranguru's defensive spread for special attackers. Golisopod's First Impression is also a potential ohko but that's not really reliable.

That's why Porygon2 is better in a lot of ways, barring taunt vulnerability.

If "the experience" also includes the reason that the dex is filled with unusable trash that you encounter early in the game I agree.

Give us Staraptor again, who has returned to his rightful place as the king of early bird mountain (although he contends with the brave challenger Mega Pidgeot).

Also I want the triumphant return of Emerald's Battle Frontier or B2W2's Pokemon World Tournament.

It's dumb that they nerfed brave bird.It's not like talonflame was bulky enough for multiple strong priority attacks to be that big of a balance issue. Also they added additional anti-priority mechanics like psychic terrain and the abilities of the pomegranate and psychic fish pokemon.

Dr. Fetus posted:

To add onto this, what makes Trick Room so great is that bulky slow attackers in Trick Room are stronger in terms of stats than a fast attacker in normal conditions. And Alola introduced a ton of bulky slow attackers.

It sucks because I love using fast pokemon like talonflame and gengar and to add insult to injury, gengar no longer levitates. They were fast, and real, and my friends.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

It's dumb that they nerfed brave bird.It's not like talonflame was bulky enough for multiple strong priority attacks to be that big of a balance issue. Also they added additional anti-priority mechanics like psychic terrain and the abilities of the pomegranate and psychic fish pokemon.

It turns out that those Pokemon aren't even that good in the first place. Dazzling doesn't even get used on Bruxish because Strong Jaw is far better.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
its a mangosteen not a pomegranate

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Not exactly sure how good Talonflame would even be in this meta. It'd be the ideal Pheromosa counter but aside from Bulu all the other Tapus match up well. It could help against Celesteela and Magearna. All the other new OU additions would be too bulky for Talonflame to handle, even more so after the Burn nerf.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Countblanc posted:

its a mangosteen not a pomegranate

I will figure out how make Tsareena good and strong if it kills me

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

I will figure out how make Tsareena good and strong if it kills me

Her best use is a utility Rapid Spin support.

In a meta where you pretty much have no time to get rid of entry hazards if we're talking singles. In doubles, those barely get used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Festival Plaza poo poo seems like an extremely unpleasant way to do things that can be grinded in the main game.