Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Your list is wrong because support is actually the best class. Never stop throwing grenades and ammo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I would honestly love to play support, but the primary weapons are so bad I can't force myself to do it. If I could play support with a Rifle/Shotgun/SMG/Sniper/anything but LMG's I would play it nonstop.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I used to think the same thing until the benet mercie storm clicked with me, now I have 1300+ kills with it. The BAR and huot are also really good

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I don't know what it is, maybe in initial playtesting Support was stupidly broken, so they turned the dial all the way in the other direction. So instead of being able to resupply your own equipment, they put all the gadgets on cooldown timers instead, gave you only LMGs so there's no real risk of running out of ammo that you could resupply yourself with, made the one gun that behaves sort of like an assault rifle with a magazine that blocks half the screen, and made it so you had to hump the bumper of a vehicle to stick a limpet to it. And then they nerfed mortars.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Finger Prince posted:

I don't know what it is, maybe in initial playtesting Support was stupidly broken, so they turned the dial all the way in the other direction. So instead of being able to resupply your own equipment, they put all the gadgets on cooldown timers instead, gave you only LMGs so there's no real risk of running out of ammo that you could resupply yourself with, made the one gun that behaves sort of like an assault rifle with a magazine that blocks half the screen, and made it so you had to hump the bumper of a vehicle to stick a limpet to it. And then they nerfed mortars.

Yeah I think the challenge especially in a game set in WWI was how to differentiate class weapons in a meaningful way.

They're kinda stretching (of course the war itself prompted a hilarious amount of innovation in Man-Killing) having man-portable full-auto LMGs to begin with, and then you kinda run into the lack of distinction between medic semi-auto rifles and sniper rifles... and well these are kinda SMGs the very first of which was literally only introduced in 1918 or whatever for an assault class, where you kind of want to slot a shotgun into the rotation etc.

So then I imagine balancing all that poo poo is real difficult, where if you looked at it in reality a loving Lewis Gun would have been a hilariously OP deathmachine compared to a single-shot 1903 or whatever, so where do you statistically adjust various weapons to make them all Still Fun to play?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
All these words typed: support still owns and get you a Benet Mercie, fire it in 8-10 round bursts to dial it in, chuck explosive frisbees at everything, Love Life

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Lol if you wanna snipe rather than ride around chopping heads off, even after the cav nerf

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

FastestGunAlive posted:

Lol if you wanna snipe
ftfy

Also, cav nerf? What/when was this?

The Wolfen
Apr 12, 2007
Wanted Ghost Coon. Cannot be treed or trapped. Reward Ghost Coon Skin Cap!
Fun Shoe
My favorite weapon, and what I used to great effect the other night, is the frag crossbow. It was so great to have those extra grenades for lobbing behind cover (of from behind cover myself) as a sort of half-assed mortar round. It was great for hitting guys on the other side of a hill so I could hit the top and a burst of Benet Mercie fire closed the deal.

Also had my first encounter running with goons this week, and it turned this game around for me. I'd had some fun playing before when I lucked into a decent squad, but playing with people who knew what they were doing from the outset made the game way more enjoyable. I don't think we lost a game until there were just a couple of us left and we weren't able to brute force our team to victory on Ballroom Blitz.

Now I just need to get a new hard drive for my PS4 so I have some room for all the clips I want to save.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Nah fam.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

2. the best class is, in order: medic assault scout tanker pilot cavalry

exC-YUSE me???!?!??!!?

alright, i made a horsie video of the first 2 weeks of launch and never finished it, now I will. cavalry last my left foot

kids these days ! :bahgawd:

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

In the beta you could just gesture vaguely with the saber in any random given direction and some hapless infantryman would die, somewhere

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
support is the #1 class, just follow one simple rule:

when a problem comes along

you must limpet

bonus ownage

:hellyeah:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

ftfy

cavalry in beta were more like the horsemen of the apocalypse except slightly harder to kill

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Cavalry is a dogshit class. The only redeeming feature it has is that I get to kill horses.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Calvary can be okay if you play it as a sword runner, where you just run around and try to roadkill snipers or slash down some dudes running around.

Or if you get off your horse and support your squad you have ammo and health resupply plus you're a little tanky. At full health you should never lose a one versus one.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
Does anyone ever use the cavalry gun? It seems to me that the sword is much more efficient and shooting while on the run is too hard, standing still you're a target. Much easier to haul rear end, close the gap and cut them down by sword. Right?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Sioux posted:

Does anyone ever use the cavalry gun? It seems to me that the sword is much more efficient and shooting while on the run is too hard, standing still you're a target. Much easier to haul rear end, close the gap and cut them down by sword. Right?

it's really bad and the spread on it is huge but it's really funny when you headshot people with it from really far away on horseback

Phrakusca
Feb 16, 2011
http://i.imgur.com/fkmaheR.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/Pn5lgfN.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/pycnf0i.gifv

:gizz:

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
#omw2fyb

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

DELETED posted:

#omw2fyb

holy poo poo how do you have both of these videos

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Cavalry is easy mode, you get infinite light tank grenades, which make you dangerous to armor, and you carry health packs.

The only secrets are to never stop galloping and always heal after you take any damage at all. Also, never try to kill someone again if you miss the first time. Keep going and find someone unaware.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Mail. You're missing some quality killing opportunities. Lots of new pubbies who just got this for Christmas. They must be taught that life is unfair. I've been putting up big numbers in the arty truck and flanker tank and I'm working on getting big numbers with the trench fighter plane.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Chemmy posted:

Cavalry is a dogshit class.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Cavalry is easy mode, you get infinite light tank grenades, which make you dangerous to armor, and you carry health packs.

The only secrets are to never stop galloping and always heal after you take any damage at all. Also, never try to kill someone again if you miss the first time. Keep going and find someone unaware.

^ this guy gets it ^

you haven't lived until you've 1v1'd a train with a horse

Skater h8er
May 11, 2013

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Cavalry is pretty easy to kill now since too many people just charge head on with it http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/SKATER%20H8ER/video/25121739

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

mellowjournalism posted:

^ this guy gets it ^

you haven't lived until you've 1v1'd a train with a horse

It being easy mode is why it's dogshit.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
artillery truck reigns supreme.

most feel that way because of its firepower but roadkill is the way to go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgrYzmYj04M

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DELETED posted:

#omw2fyb

Ride on the back with a flame thrower kit and you get mini-flamer tank.

Skater h8er
May 11, 2013

Chemmy posted:

It being easy mode is why it's dogshit.

Happen to get any clips of our tank destroying rampage today?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I didn't record much today, sorry.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Finger Prince posted:

Ride on the back with a flame thrower kit and you get mini-flamer tank.

Backup snacks has a video of me riding in a motorcycle sidecar in the flamethrower kit. I was laughing my head off, it was too fun. For a brief 30 seconds we drove circles around dudes while I burned them.

Icen
Jun 1, 2007

Who is Josh Groban?! KILL YOURSELF!

midwest ink posted:

Another "I just got this game" goon chiming in. If anyone on xbone wants to play, hit me up, gamer tag japanime81.

Me as well. Had the game for about a month but haven't really played it.

Gamer tag is SenatorCloture

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I got hate mail! :haw:

Dude teabagged me after a random kill, so I directed the four other friends in my squad to all viciously teabag him every time he died. He couldn't even wait for the game to end to send his loving words.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Lawnie posted:

Backup snacks has a video of me riding in a motorcycle sidecar in the flamethrower kit. I was laughing my head off, it was too fun. For a brief 30 seconds we drove circles around dudes while I burned them.

drat I need to do this

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I've been away for a while but I'm totally ready to hop back in and play with you all!

Miss you 4ever poophole.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013

Lawnie posted:

It was actually just a regular car but drat, a motorcycle would have been even cooler.

Auxiliary Treats posted:

https://gfycat.com/FlimsyChubbyHarlequinbug
DIY flamethrower tank using the flame trooper kit and a car

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

FastestGunAlive posted:

Mail. You're missing some quality killing opportunities. Lots of new pubbies who just got this for Christmas. They must be taught that life is unfair. I've been putting up big numbers in the arty truck and flanker tank and I'm working on getting big numbers with the trench fighter plane.

Sorry, im on vacation in the tropics, which explains why im in my room posting on the forums.

try to convince nick to play, he might be amenable to easy pickins

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Finally made it to rank 80. I've never made it to such a high rank in a battlefield game. The amount of score needed to rank up now is absurd, which is the whole point I guess.

I am growing somewhat tired of some of the maps at this point. If I ever see Sinai desert again I might puke. Amiens and ballroom blitz are still fantastic though. The wait for new dlc in March is going to be intolerable

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K
After a light tank rampage on rush.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Anyone else having trouble connecting on Xbox tonight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Working fine here.