Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

m.hache posted:

I had no idea that's a thing but seeing the faded bars makes sense. So if I take damage there's a reserve bar and a total HP bar?

I think the deal is that once you've been put in the "danger" state you'll start taking damage to your max hp until you recover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Barudak posted:

You sure you're killing the right ones? Spiracorns don't count. If you've not, breaking the horn apparently boosts the drop rate.

Are you kidding me? Is it only Duplicorns?

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
Anyone know if there are conditions to which the Angelus-0 will spawn? I was able to kill two of them late last night, but for the past few hours I have only been able to get the level 76 mech to spawn. I have saved/reloaded my game multiple times today, and all I'm managing to do is farm thousands of AP.

E: figured it out, just doing the save/reload method. AP can go to hell at this point

Ironsolid fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 29, 2016

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Guw posted:

Yes. You take the hunt, eat the item drop food, break their horn and you have approximately a 30% shot of getting the horn. If you need to abuse it just save prior to engaging the hunt and reload id you dont get it forst try.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Second time through, chapter 13 was hardly an issue compared to the first time, now knowing the paths to travel; but it was still the only part I couldn't wait to be finished with through the entire game.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Barudak posted:

Yes. You take the hunt, eat the item drop food, break their horn and you have approximately a 30% shot of getting the horn. If you need to abuse it just save prior to engaging the hunt and reload id you dont get it forst try.

Oh man, thanks. Wish I would have posted something sooner. I have 99 crooked helix horns in my inventory from the spiracorns.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

MMF Freeway posted:

I think the deal is that once you've been put in the "danger" state you'll start taking damage to your max hp until you recover.

Demon's can deal damage straight to your max HP though. I think it's dark damage which does it specifically.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Dr. Carwash posted:

Is there anyway to prevent my myself from being extremely overleveled for the main quest (besides just skipping quests)? If not, which quests are "worth doing" in terms of rewards?

If you are not completely OCD, just look at the quests menu and see which sidequests give items as rewards.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Guw posted:

People thought it was Spiracorns because that's what one guide said, but it is in fact only the Duplicorns that drop it.

Kill the Spiracorns (small horses), go back outside the encounter circle, save, then go back in and break the horns on both the Duplicorns (large horses). You can only get it from the break. Not from killing them. If you don't get the drop, reload your save and try again.

Also, eat the mother and child rice bowl. Boosts item drop rate 50%. So the 10% drop rate will now be 15%. You get the recipe from observing a lady eating it in Lestallum.

There is also apparently Papa rice bowl recipe in the same area in Lestallum but I never got it. Boosts drop rates by 100%.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Crabtree posted:

Welp, hosed myself with permanently losing some good lures with fishing because I didn't think that they'd think of fish eating them when the line broke. At least it wasn't a Bahamut.

I don't think any lure can be gone forever. I have 3+ of each except for Bahamut obviously.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Can anyone confirm if the good lures are permanently losable or are they replaceable at some point?

I lost my skinny tonberry lure that I got from the first fishing quest earlier tonight and I'd be real sad if it's permanently gone.

You can find that lure at the Caem Shore fishing spot. It's not 100%, but it can spawn there.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

Nights getting longer for inexplicable reasons is something that is literally spelled out in the game's tutorial, yet people still seem to treat it like some sort of holy poo poo moment when it gets really noticeable all the way in Chapter 10.

I played the demo and skipped the tutorial, and you know many people just said "tutorial? gently caress that, I'll figure it out as I go." That's why it's bad design to put plot in easily missed content like that. The game's story is just poorly delivered.

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE
Just finished the game last night. Game hit all the right notes for me ( the last scene after the credits was pure :kimchi: ) I really enjoyed the ride :) My only real qualm outside the issues with chapter 13 was that there isn't an ingame codex or lore repository. They make Lore-binging so much easier :saddowns:

Storyline spoiler stuff:

Having watched (and enjoyed) Kingsglaive prior to playing the game, I was really struck by just how many story beats it covers. It definitely put a lot of the endgame in context. Ardyn's line in the movie about "a waste of a city" is a far more foreboding once you find out his backstory. Hell, Nyx (the main character of Kingsglaive) is one of the corpses Ardyn taunts you with in the throne room.

Other details:
I really liked the small difference when you summon Shiva during the Ifrit fight. Normally Noct shivers and covers up. During that scene he stoically deals. Small, but helps cement the change in Noct.

Interesting that they seem to have combined Bahamut with Knights of the round. Also makes a lot of sense with the armiger motif of the Lucian royalty.

1st half of the Ardyn fight gave me a new appreciation for just how brutal Noct's combat is in-wold. Ardyn seems to do all the nasty tricks you do, including blinking out just to snap back with a monster warp-strike. Or harassing you when you try to do the same.

Now for post-game dungeons and fishing :allears:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
One major missed opportunity in the post-game content was the party having no reaction to Noctis returning from Pitioss. Dude just drops out of sight and returns with torn and dirtied clothes and a thousand yard stare.

"Dude, you were gone for three days! What happened?"

"I'm actually not sure."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Photography in this game is worth the price of the game

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I just got the game for Christmas and I love that Prompto sometimes decides to go full "Bloom" or "Pop" filter on the landscape photographs that he takes for the magazine sidequest, to the point that you can't even tell what's in them. :allears:

I love this Final Fantasy game about bros hanging out.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Sapozhnik posted:

Nights getting longer for inexplicable reasons is something that is literally spelled out in the game's tutorial, yet people still seem to treat it like some sort of holy poo poo moment when it gets really noticeable all the way in Chapter 10.

i noticed it happening as the chapter went by personally.

it's not a holy poo poo moment, its more of a the world is changing yet npcs talk about food and poo poo.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I could eat a horse!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm getting so tired of this MMO time sink bullshit game design.

If i go to a quest giver, tell me everything you want you gently caress. Don't tell me there's a truck that needs rescued, then another and another but only after i keep coming back to you about the one i just saved. Just tell me where all your busted trucks are and i'll go get them. Or if you want various poo poo from a farm, give me your whole shopping list chucklefuck.

I know why that kind of trickle out quest giving is in an onlime MMO (basically it's to make you sink as much time into the subscription based game as possible) but for a single player RPG? It's the same poo poo with drop rates. You kill a monster, you should get all of it's parts 100% of the time.

I think the game is long enough and value for money without needing this kind of bullshit in it to pad it out.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Kin posted:

I'm getting so tired of this MMO time sink bullshit game design.

If i go to a quest giver, tell me everything you want you gently caress. Don't tell me there's a truck that needs rescued, then another and another but only after i keep coming back to you about the one i just saved. Just tell me where all your busted trucks are and i'll go get them. Or if you want various poo poo from a farm, give me your whole shopping list chucklefuck.

I know why that kind of trickle out quest giving is in an onlime MMO (basically it's to make you sink as much time into the subscription based game as possible) but for a single player RPG? It's the same poo poo with drop rates. You kill a monster, you should get all of it's parts 100% of the time.

I think the game is long enough and value for money without needing this kind of bullshit in it to pad it out.

you know you don't have to do any of those, right? they exist for the people who don't mind them.

I appreciate that (as far as I know--I'm only partway in) they reserved that for sidequests only and not major storyline quests.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Photography in this game is worth the price of the game

:agreed:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I played the demo and skipped the tutorial, and you know many people just said "tutorial? gently caress that, I'll figure it out as I go." That's why it's bad design to put plot in easily missed content like that. The game's story is just poorly delivered.

But what about the npcs that specifically talk to you about night getting longer?

Maybe they should've gone the xiii route and put everything in datalogs.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Yes because the 40 foot tall hairy dinosaurs and angry birhinos and horse birds and magic and summons teleporting main character aren't fantasy enough because there aren't any bangaas

:crossarms:

I'm never said it was completely lacking in Final Fantasy staples. Honestly it's more of a settings thing for me. Example would be the only cities I can think of in XV is the one Iris lives in and Not Venice.

Compare to Zanarkand, The Black Mage village in 9, Balamb Garden, the Golden Saucer/Midgar etc there's nothing quite like it here that I can think of.

Really though I dunno what to tell you other then sorry I feel this way about the game, it just didn't really make me think Final Fantasy when playing it :shobon:

Zest posted:

Just finished the game last night. Game hit all the right notes for me ( the last scene after the credits was pure :kimchi: ) I really enjoyed the ride :) My only real qualm outside the issues with chapter 13 was that there isn't an ingame codex or lore repository. They make Lore-binging so much easier :saddowns:

Storyline spoiler stuff:

1st half of the Ardyn fight gave me a new appreciation for just how brutal Noct's combat is in-wold. Ardyn seems to do all the nasty tricks you do, including blinking out just to snap back with a monster warp-strike. Or harassing you when you try to do the same.

I feel horribly ripped off now. In my fight with him he didn't get a single attack off really. I had him sprawled out on the floor for 90% of it and the like, 3 times he attacked they were hold square to parry him moments so the entire fight was just him laying down going "haha you can do better I am winning!!!" and nothing else.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 29, 2016

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Despite people often claiming otherwise, I feel Kingsglaive was important part of the game if for nothing else than the opening, FFXV doesn't even have an intro scene explaining whos who and whats what.

It also covers a part that is almost completely omitted from the game itself: What Imsonia looks like in present. This is probably the biggest loss during transition from Versus.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

morallyobjected posted:

you know you don't have to do any of those, right? they exist for the people who don't mind them.

I appreciate that (as far as I know--I'm only partway in) they reserved that for sidequests only and not major storyline quests.

Well, despite the combat being set to easy, some of the fights are a right pain in the arse (because quite frankly the controls are a bit janky and the stickied lockon doesn't seem to help too much), so i've decided that overlevlling is going to be the best way for me to enjoy the game in the long run.

Like, the quests themselves are fine and i like that they're getting me out and exploring the world, but it's just the method of distribution that's maddening because some of the areas don't have a good fast travel point nearby and, as someone else mentioned earlier, sometimes it takes just as long to load the "fast" travel as it does to just watch the game drive you there.

WaltherFeng posted:

Despite people often claiming otherwise, I feel Kingsglaive was important part of the game if for nothing else than the opening, FFXV doesn't even have an intro scene explaining whos who and whats what.

It also covers a part that is almost completely omitted from the game itself: What Imsonia looks like in present. This is probably the biggest loss during transition from Versus.

I agree, it was basically a 2 hour piece of backstory that explains the major premise and setting of the game. I think it would have been a hard thing to put in game though because our main team are really just an offshoot from the major poo poo that happened after the long buildup in the film. If it was interspliced with the game, you'd have been wandering around shops or something buying wedding outfits for 10 hours while the important poo poo was happening all around you.

That being said, Squeenix could have done the the unthinkable and just had 2 main characters before doing a MGS2 and pulling the switcheroo after the events of the film.

Kin fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 29, 2016

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Saint Freak posted:

But people hated the datalog in 13. And pretty much everything else about the game after a few months had passed after release.

The Datalog was dumb because it was like the only reason why anyone could follow the plot or the constant KEY TERM barrages that constituted most of the game's dialog. But in another sense, that is why the datalog was actually good and cool, because you got stuff out of it that flat out didn't happen in 99 percent of 13's cutscenes. Datalogs are generally a good idea in lots of games that you're expected to spend a lot of time in. Lots of people want to know more about whatever dumb world they are playing around with.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

But what about the npcs that specifically talk to you about night getting longer?

I feel like i was pretty into the dialogue and most don't talk about it because you can do anything in any chapter, save costlemark which is technically gated into when the game already makes nights very slightly earlier.

In fact because ordinary ones don't mention it, i literally thought for a bit that the world was going through some sort of day light savings time, I actually liked that idea.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You literally couldn't figure out why the poo poo happens in 13's end boss unless you read the etro datalog

Imagine if that whole bahumut speech was just a datalog, it's like that

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

I'm not really sure how putting important plot details in optional side content that you have to actually go and read is different from putting it in datalogs.

Like I feel like at this point people are going "DATALOG IS BAD" without actually expressing why datalogs are bad. If the problem with datalogs is that plot details and relevant information to understanding the characters and plot is put into optional content you have to go out of your way to read or can even miss then, yeah, that applies to FFXV too.

I mean I like FFXV but it's really weird how people are struggling to give it passes on some genuinely dumb poo poo. Things like who Ifrit is, the state of the world, what exactly Noctis' legacy involves, Ravus' entire character arc and so-on should have better presented and they're not and it does deserve criticism for that, especially because it's entirely possible to miss notes or random snippets of NPC info that do explain things about the world so even things presented in-game can be missed depending on the player.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 29, 2016

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I have no idea how nights getting longer were a surprise to anyone, it's mentioned consntantly from the start of the game, in at least a few chapters by characters & side quest givers and tons of ambient NPC dialogue touches on it - and changes in how they are talking about it as the chapters go on from curious to a more serious worry. I actually really liked that part - walking around hearing npc's in the same locations getting more and more concerned about it as the game went on until they sounded genuinely worried.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I know there's a chapter when this game is supposed to get really lovely, but is there a chapter where it's supposed to pick up? I just made it to chapter 4 and I'm really bored. None of the side quests have been interesting, and the open world stuff has been pretty weak so far.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fadam posted:

I know there's a chapter when this game is supposed to get really lovely, but is there a chapter where it's supposed to pick up? I just made it to chapter 4 and I'm really bored. None of the side quests have been interesting, and the open world stuff has been pretty weak so far.

If you don't enjoy it by Chapter 3/4 then it MAY pick up for you at Chapter 9 where it becomes more linear and plot-driven. That said most people consider the point you're at the 'strong part' so take that as it is.

cubicle gangster posted:

I have no idea how nights getting longer were a surprise to anyone, it's mentioned consntantly from the start of the game, in at least a few chapters by characters & side quest givers and tons of ambient NPC dialogue touches on it - and changes in how they are talking about it as the chapters go on from curious to a more serious worry. I actually really liked that part - walking around hearing npc's in the same locations getting more and more concerned about it as the game went on until they sounded genuinely worried.

The NPC dialogue is either glitched or random because it doesn't always trigger the same for everyone and due to the nature of sidequests being 'do anytime" a lot of them don't actually touch on changing content. I know I've watched streams where they didn't hear stuff I distinctly remember popping up.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 29, 2016

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

cubicle gangster posted:

my only ambient npc dialogs are about food

I'm not kidding.

Everytime I go to lestallum, its how the food tastes and about the disk really being on fire.

Even after Titan situation.

Also about how good fresh fish tastes.

and its usually a bad idea to go "I don't know how someone else perceived something differently then I did in my experience" it usually doesn't lead anywhere. Especially when everything you listed is optional or based on having and NPC trigger at the right time.

My main point is that of course the npc discussed it after it happened.
There were very few making reference to it, in my game at least, before it happened.

I beat the game like 2 weeks ago and I'm still finding new piece of dialog lol

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 29, 2016

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I've done what feels like the majority of side quests in chapter 3 (I'm level 34 now) and I've heard nothing of longer nights yet.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'm pretty sure your boys mention it in the later chapters 7 on too. Before then it's only a very subtle change. I dont think they even start getting longer until chapter 4 anyway.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 29, 2016

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Just gonna leave this here...

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

SectumSempra posted:

My main point is that of course the npc discussed it after it happened.
There were very few making reference to it, in my game at least, before it happened.

why would an npc be talking about something that hasnt started to happen yet.
I first heard about it in chapter 3 from a side quest giver who studies nature. later chapters it became more obvious and npc's picked up on it.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

cubicle gangster posted:

why would an npc be talking about something that hasnt started to happen yet.
I first heard about it in chapter 3 from a side quest giver who studies nature. later chapters it became more obvious and npc's picked up on it.

Because people literally ust typed before you it's been mentioned during the tutorial (the one with carbuncle, noctis and gladio)
you've been saying in your last post how could anyone be surprised.

I'm talking about characters Foreshadowing it, not responding.

That was the whole point of me even mentioning dino to begin with.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
did you do costlemark in chapter 3 or something? his dialogue for that quest is expecting you to be a little further along. were you the poster who was on level 70 in chapter 3? I remember seeing someone earlier in the thread who'd done that.
it is talked about in the story as it goes on.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 29, 2016

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

cubicle gangster posted:

did you do costmark in chapter 3 or something? his dialogue for that quest is expecting you to be a little further along.

I'm saying that you can have dino tell you that before the party etc mention it, during the train chapters.

That's exactly what i was talking about, but maybe everyone was trying to pull the "I saw it coming before everyone else did" but that is exactly what I'm referencing. Since it isn't in the bottom of costlemark, it isn't impossible to get him to talk about it earlier.

You can get him to talk about it post-access to vesperpool technically.

All i was trying to say is hey "most npcs and sidequesters don't specifically mention it likely because you can do sidequests whenever, but this one seems earlier then most"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
They definitely mention it before then. And even without all the npc dialogue leading up to the train, or the frog sidequests, i would've easily noticed that it was getting darker sooner when driving around doing stuff.

I could see fast travelling everywhere, not sleeping at night, completely skipping entire npc's quest lines while hammering others to completion can leave you not knowing, but that is definitely an unlikely outcome for most players. you're the lucky one i guess.

• Locked thread