Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lemon-Lime posted:

You can get it on Vita via PSN, too.
Wasn't aware of that. Still a somewhat limited audience but I hope more people have checked it out through that then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

alcharagia posted:

Dracula X Chronicles is the best game in Castlevania history.

I'd still give Castlevania IV the edge over DX Chronicles because the multi-directional whipping is so fun and I prefer having a bit more control over your jumps to the NES Castlevania-style jumps that Dracula X went back to.

I'm not a huge fan of DX Chronicles' 3D graphics, though I think they're alright, and I think the additions/changes to the levels were all improvements. The new SotN translation is less colorful than the original's, but I'll stand by it being the best version of the game due to the inclusion of the Maria boss fight—the only really good addition from the Saturn version, and something that always seemed like it was missing from the original.

Also, it's not the game's fault, but gently caress playing Dracula X (or any action game) on a PSP without a grip. I managed it, but I think that's the worst physical pain I've ever experienced from a game, and I was really into DDR for a while.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 29, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
An addendum: Dracula X Chronicles the remake of Rondo of Blood is my favorite Castlevania game. Dracula X Chronicles the entire package is the best game in Castlevania history because it includes Rondo, DXC, and Symphony, which is loving amazing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Don't forget Akoumajou Dracula Peke!

You better not forget Akoumajou Dracula Peke.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dracula X is also available on the WiiU and n3DS

the SNES version :unsmigghh:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The good Dracula X got a Virtual Console release for the original Wii at least.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Sakurazuka posted:

Don't trigger US peeps by telling them that, only the EU version works on Vita for some reason.

Really? I'm in the US and I've got the digital version from our PSN store just fine. Or is there a difference between the EU and US version of Dracula X Chronicles I don't know about

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I could be wrong but I'm sure I heard people in the Vita thread complaining about it. It could be one of those games that only works if you use a PS3 to transfer it I guess.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Sakurazuka posted:

I could be wrong but I'm sure I heard people in the Vita thread complaining about it. It could be one of those games that only works if you use a PS3 to transfer it I guess.

You're probably right on the PS3 transfer thing, I got that game years ago so I can't even remember doing it honestly.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Dracula X Chronicles does not work on the PSTV without a hack, but you can DL it from the US store on a regular Vita just fine. I definitely did not transfer from my PS3, because I have never done this.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 29, 2016

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah it works fine on a Vita, just not a PSTV.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rollersnake posted:

The good Dracula X got a Virtual Console release for the original Wii at least.

Incidentally Op. 13 is a really rad track

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
SOTN and Simon's Quest are my favorites. I played Simon's Quest when it came out, and the music was just so amazing, and the whole "explore all over the place with no real direction" was really new and novel then. That and Metroid got most of my NES playtime over Mario type games.

I have high hopes for Bloodstained.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

alcharagia posted:

An addendum: Dracula X Chronicles the remake of Rondo of Blood is my favorite Castlevania game. Dracula X Chronicles the entire package is the best game in Castlevania history because it includes Rondo, DXC, and Symphony, which is loving amazing.

It's just too bad they didn't keep the original voiceover for PSP SotN.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Zaa Boogie posted:

It's just too bad they didn't keep the original voiceover for PSP SotN.

This is literally the only thing that holds me back from enjoying it. While the original dub has it's faults, I'm so used to hearing it, and identifying the cast by their original voices, that hearing the new dub just killed it, ESPECIALLY Maria's new voice. I literally stopped, the second I heard her speak, shut off my PSP, and swore to never touch the port again.

On the topic of best ever, I'm curious as to the thread's thoughts: If you had to pick one Castlevania game to be redone on another system and expanded, what would it be?

My personal thought is that if Aria of Sorrow had the same lengthy dev time, and a system to support SoTN's expanded features, it'd be the best game of the series, bar none.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Magil of Shadow posted:

This is literally the only thing that holds me back from enjoying it. While the original dub has it's faults, I'm so used to hearing it, and identifying the cast by their original voices, that hearing the new dub just killed it, ESPECIALLY Maria's new voice. I literally stopped, the second I heard her speak, shut off my PSP, and swore to never touch the port again.

The newer dub is more accurate and probably has better performances from a technical perspective, but is way less entertaining. It has nowhere near the level of ham that the original one does and that's a huge fault. I'll take a slightly bad but wonderfully cheesy dub over a technically competent but more humdrum one any day of the week.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I still giggle every time Maria says in her mega serious voice, "What do you here???"

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Genocyber posted:

The newer dub is more accurate and probably has better performances from a technical perspective, but is way less entertaining. It has nowhere near the level of ham that the original one does and that's a huge fault. I'll take a slightly bad but wonderfully cheesy dub over a technically competent but more humdrum one any day of the week.

"Perhaps the same could be said of all re-dubs"

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Cartoon Man posted:

I still giggle every time Maria says in her mega serious voice, "What do you here???"

I've come to destroy this castle.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Still befriending mortals, I'll not ask you to return to our side, but I demand you cease your attack!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I will not.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just use the Japanese voices in DXC SotN, I already have two other versions with the original English voices and I get Norio Wakamoto hamming it up as Dracula.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

It's dual audio?

Well, know what I have to do now.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

hanales posted:

SOTN and Simon's Quest are my favorites. I played Simon's Quest when it came out, and the music was just so amazing, and the whole "explore all over the place with no real direction" was really new and novel then. That and Metroid got most of my NES playtime over Mario type games.

I have high hopes for Bloodstained.

Simon's Quest gets kind of a bad rap I think. Not that I'm defending all of it's design choices, but I feel like it's still a solid game that can be appreciated for what it is and what it brought as an exploration-based platformer. At some point I need to play the version someone did where they replaced all the dialogue with stuff that made sense, but like Dark Souls, it's hard to get that 'new game exploration' feeling to determine just how helpful the new hints would be to a completely new player.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Potsticker posted:

Simon's Quest gets kind of a bad rap I think. Not that I'm defending all of it's design choices, but I feel like it's still a solid game that can be appreciated for what it is and what it brought as an exploration-based platformer. At some point I need to play the version someone did where they replaced all the dialogue with stuff that made sense, but like Dark Souls, it's hard to get that 'new game exploration' feeling to determine just how helpful the new hints would be to a completely new player.

I've seen it and they're hints that make sense compared to the complete malarkey that we got in the original.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zaa Boogie posted:

I've seen it and they're hints that make sense compared to the complete malarkey that we got in the original.
I remember reading that those were intentionally wrong and weird, because the villagers were lying to you.

Of course, it was kinda hard to tell that from bad translation back then.

The line about the graveyard duck, for example, is an accurate translation, and refers to a bird in the original Japanese version.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

I'm still impressed by the sheer amount of weird, secret, and completely unnecessary stuff that made its way into Symphony of the Night. All of the spells and familiars, secret attacks with certain weapons (some of which are the basis for an entire playstyle), a hilariously large number of food items, the confession booth... I never even held the clunkiness of some of the inverted castle against the game as the whole thing felt like a huge bonus area after the game should have ended.

do you think they tried to balance all the secret weapons or just said gently caress it and threw them in there because they seemed cool

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Uncle Wemus posted:

do you think they tried to balance all the secret weapons or just said gently caress it and threw them in there because they seemed cool

I think they said gently caress it because we were on the cusp of the era where every little secret was online so you could hide a super overpowered weapon in your game and expect only 1% of players would ever find it so the game wasn't notoriously easy yet.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Zaggitz posted:

I think they said gently caress it because we were on the cusp of the era where every little secret was online so you could hide a super overpowered weapon in your game and expect only 1% of players would ever find it so the game wasn't notoriously easy yet.

No one called that game easy, except CV fans I personally knew. Made me feel like some kind of gaming god until I played the NES games!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Look, i really like the original castlevanias, and i'm a big contra fan. I understand though that all it takes is one thing to gently caress you up and make you lose your poo poo, and lose your awesome weapon/subweapon and start a really short but embarrassing cycle of just dying again and again.

It is for that reason that out of all the castlevanias, I hold Symphony of the Night over Rondo of Blood, and Super castlevania IV third place for just a really enjoyable game to pick up and play.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Zereth posted:

I remember reading that those were intentionally wrong and weird, because the villagers were lying to you.

Of course, it was kinda hard to tell that from bad translation back then.

The line about the graveyard duck, for example, is an accurate translation, and refers to a bird in the original Japanese version.
It makes sense they would lie to Simon, since his goal in the game is to revive Dracula. It's not hard to imagine the villagers thinking "Holy poo poo this dude is crazy, why the gently caress would someone try and bring Dracula back?"

Granted, Simon's bringing him back to murder him again, but not everyone is that metal.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Raxivace posted:

It makes sense they would lie to Simon, since his goal in the game is to revive Dracula. It's not hard to imagine the villagers thinking "Holy poo poo this dude is crazy, why the gently caress would someone try and bring Dracula back?"

Granted, Simon's bringing him back to murder him again, but not everyone is that metal.
poo poo even "I'm bringing him back because I didn't kill him the right way the first time" sounds pretty crazy.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Bloodstained update - WIP footage of a new village environment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lROTq4QkIyI

quote:

Merry Christmas! This is IGA.

Last update we shared how we build the environment, so for this update, we would like to introduce you to a new stage based on that method. Previously, we shared the ship and the castle entrance. I would like to introduce you to the village this time.

As we mentioned at the beginning of our Kickstarter campaign, Bloodstained takes place in a castle! So now you're probably thinking, "What's this, a village?"

I thought so, too, but yes: We have a village. In the narrative, we're still headed to the island where the castle emerged. There's a village nearby that we'll have to pass through on our way to the castle entrance.

As you can tell from the video, the village is red, which has nothing to do with Christmas! During the eruption of the Laki volcanic fissure in 1783 and 1784, "the afternoon sky was dark as night and red as blood," according to a contemporary saying from Hampshire, England. So we tried to express that in the afternoon scene you see here.

Building your visuals from a piece of historical data makes the world more realistic. (The internet is so useful!) The village is also under the demons' attack, so of course there will be enemies here. We are also planning to put a shop here to support the player, and you'll find Johannes, who we introduced previously, here too.

In addition to Johannes...Oh, we can't quite tell you yet, but you'll hear more about them in our later updates. Please look forward to it.

Finally, I would like to answer a few more of your questions for next month's update. After that, we've invited Michiru-san to answer questions for a future update.

Ask IGA

They're taking questions via twitter - if you want IGA to answer your poo poo in the next update, tweet it at @SwordOrWhip with the hashtag #AskIGA .

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Bloodstained update - WIP footage of a new village environment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lROTq4QkIyI

They're taking questions via twitter - if you want IGA to answer your poo poo in the next update, tweet it at @SwordOrWhip with the hashtag #AskIGA .

God I want this game so bad...it's gonna take him another year or three isn't it? :smith:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Will bloodstained come out before barkley 2

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I can't see IGA spending the next eighteen months drawing Whip's on stream so yeah, I'm not worried.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Village itself looks good. Lighting could use more work, but it's a WIP.

I just realized we've spent more than half the Castlevania thread discussing a game that is not actually Castlevania.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Village itself looks good. Lighting could use more work, but it's a WIP.

I just realized we've spent more than half the Castlevania thread discussing a game that is not actually Castlevania.

That game didn't get 5.5 million dollars to not be Castlevania Pureauthor

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's Castlevania in all but name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Are there any "not Castlevanias" based around the classic gameplay style worth looking forward to? I don't have any interest in the Metroidvanias.